Nisa

Being "on Tilt" In World Of Tanks

good read, I know I can get there some days.

Yep. Unless I'm having fun in a platoon (joking around, getting damage, and just still enjoying ourselves despite losing) I'll give it a rest after 3 or 4 losses.

Funny thing though, last night, the platoon I was running in was bottom tier 13 out of 15 matches. I mean, we were down and pessimistic and fatalistic, the whole nine yards. Still won 11 of 15 matches, go figure.

Personally, tilt only gets to me when I let down platoonmate/make a fail decision that ultimately costs me the win. The loss of self-confidence is much worse than anger in terms of emotional trauma (for me at least) as it causes hesitation in carrying out strategies and mechanical deterioration - which can be fatal. If I continuously get pubbie teams that I can't carry while being in a 3-man purple platoon, I just take a break for a week and watch anime.  :P

Good read +1.

I'd also like to add that being on tilt also makes you exceptionally prone to psychological warfare. For example, you might end up fighting a hulldown T32 or playing corner games with an E-100 because they shot you while you weren't aware and your frustration leads to you trying to "get revenge" - don't do it.

I tried to apply this half-way through my gaming day, and it kinda worked, played some music, and used dat turret! Thanks for the post-post allurai. On a related note: Inception.

+1.

Yup. Describes me with horrifying accuracy.

Time to buy the loltraktor. I've got to find a way to release the rage of the streak, although my recent epiphany about the MM has relaxed me quite a bit. Shit happens and when my w/r drops below 52%... time for a break, not time to rage and try to "get through" a bad streak, so I had already sort of set a few personal limits.

Great read.

I believe that all or most of us try to some of these things each and every day.  Still, from my perspective (maybe 'cause I'm an old fart), I do understand that there's a learning curve involved.  I have a great analogy for any of you that are golfers.  I use to play.  Not the greatest, but always had fun.  I played one day with a very low handicap player and he was having a terrible day.  Probably one that felt to him much worse than any of our worst tank days.

He kept an even keel, and kept working on the right things.  I approached him and commented on this and asked him if he ever got mad while playing gold and I'll never forget the response from this low handicapper who was a golf god in my eyes.  He replied, "...I'm not good enough to get mad...." .

I never for got that, and I think it's a really good way to live and enjoy, sports, games and maybe even life!

Great read.

I believe that all or most of us try to some of these things each and every day.  Still, from my perspective (maybe 'cause I'm an old fart), I do understand that there's a learning curve involved.  I have a great analogy for any of you that are golfers.  I use to play.  Not the greatest, but always had fun.  I played one day with a very low handicap player and he was having a terrible day.  Probably one that felt to him much worse than any of our worst tank days.

He kept an even keel, and kept working on the right things.  I approached him and commented on this and asked him if he ever got mad while playing gold and I'll never forget the response from this low handicapper who was a golf god in my eyes.  He replied, "...I'm not good enough to get mad...." .

I never for got that, and I think it's a really good way to live and enjoy, sports, games and maybe even life!

Well its quite personal. I have this strange feeling that most unicums in WoT are very competetive in real life too (Even if they dont show it so much, its always easier go wave your e-peen).

And yes I do get mad, but mostly at myself (Sometimes I vent on my team, which isnt too nice, but more often then not they deserve it). Thats why I stopped playing in the late hours.

There is a very strange satisfaction in doing good, it's almost like an instinct. Do something better= feel better.

...Of course doing bad is quite the oposite atleast for me.

Its reasonable to assume you will never be the best at something and everybody has a limit. But you should constantly search for yours (Atleast thats is my philosophy).

a.k.a

Click Fast

Click Hard

Click Often

That is an incredibly powerful statement that can really be adapted to anything. I'm reminded of my own experiences in Magic: The Gathering where players get hit with extreme amounts of tilt -- they'll get straight up rude to their fellow players at the tables, or whine and complain about their board states/tournament standings/my rulings/whatever.

I've been told that I'm a gracious loser: I guess the mindset of being "not good enough to get mad", along with the usual self-depreciating humor/cynicism that I seem to adapt is why I'm perceived that way.

Both great responses.  Don't misconstrue the not getting mad part.  Especially at ourselves.  We all know what getting mad/frustrated/flustered does to is in game.  It's been repeated here in the forums very often.  Whether we realize it or not, it DOES effect our play.

So, for me at least,  I try to use that phrase as a way of saying I won't get mad, BUT I WILL get even, whether at myself or someone else (in the game only of course, hehe).

I'll funnel the frustration into trying to improve etc.  THAT is why I came here and recently vented.  It seemed to me at least, that trying to include some of the suggestions and techniques I learned from some of  you here, and on the wiki, and even some vids I watched, it seemed things were going south, not north.

Now, as I am writing this, getting back to my golfing analogy, when I took lessons from a pro, until I got what I learned from him in a groove, I was much worse.  I forgot that.  

Thanks for the therapy session folks!  ;)

I remember reading this a few months back, but it's still as relevant and instructive today. Harsh self expectations are the worst, especially when you potato 2-3 games in a row in a platoon. +1

For me one of my tilt triggers is low blood sugar.

If I haven't eaten in a while I'm far more likely to get ragey and play poorly, rush out, rush shots, make poor decisions, get tunnel visions, and lose situational awareness.

When I find myself smack talking my team I try to use it as a signal to get a cookie and chill out for a couple of minutes.

The holes in the wall to the right of my computer would agree that I have felt the effects of tilt.  Interesting read.  Definitely some truth to this, I always kinda felt that there was that downward spiral type effect when I had a few bad games in a row.  You try to overcompensate for it, or change your play style to see if you can break the cycle and that usually isn't good if you are good player.  Play the way you always do, step away from the keyboard for a couple minutes, grab a drink, play a lower tier tank, etc. just to get your head back on straight. 

Kudos to the OP for expressing clearly what I know is a problem for me. You laid out the early symptoms so well it will be easier for me to watch for it and nip it in the bud.

Last night was a case in point. I was over 70% on the day, one of my best days ever. It was late, I was tired and it was time to quit, but I looked at my XP for the day and noticed I'd "only" have to do another 10k to get the free day of premium.

You know what happened next. 1 win, 2 or 3 losses. frustration mounts, flailing about, play quality keeps deteriorating. I ended up at 61% for the day. I did get over the 50k XP but didn't get my reward, I assume something wrong with my arithmetic.

I've been kicking myself for that mistake, and your post really helped bring it into focus. Thanks.

I have rage issues, and playing competitive online game doesn't help, AT ALL. Now i see why crabs point me to this thread, when i mentioned my rage fest yesterday in another post. For me the triggers, are lack of sleep and loosing 3 or 4 games in a row, after that my brain stops working, but i refuse to stop because i NEED a win to relax, and when i finally win i go and play again and loose, and rage, and the process starts all over again. Biggest issue is that i have imsomnia, so i'm constantly sleep deprived therefore constantly angry. Today the test server is back up, today is a good day :D.

Reactive Measures

• Stop Playing"Maybe the next game I will win for sure!" No, just step away from the PC and do something else. Clear your mind and re-approach the game after you've calmed down.
  • Analyzing Gameplay: Take a good look if you were using a non-optimal strategy. Yes you got top damage, but did you sacrifice map control to do so? What adjustments should be made?
  • Venting Anger: You have to take out and manage that frustration somehow. Some people seal club in loltraktors and some make an angry thread on the forums. Find a way that works for you.

Proactive Measures

• Reasonable Goals: Don't go into a day with unreasonable expectations, increase your goal milestones step by step. To some people that's 52% WR, and others 70%+. Everyone is different.
  • Maximum Loss Thresholds: Set a personal "You shall not pass!" barrier of losses. Be fair, if you lose five games - then make a commitment to take a break and do something else.
  • Positive Mindset: Make the best out of a situation, and play your hardest - tilts are a temporary phenomena. Platoon if that helps you maintain a more social and relaxed mindset.

I used to play poker online at Full Tilt Poker.  This is the exact same advice given to poker players.  There is one big difference, though - when you lose at poker, you lose real money.  

Another difference is going on tilt when you lose because someone did something stupid and won.  Someone who goes all in an a runner-runner flush, for instance, and then hits it, destroying the powerful hand you flopped. He made a stupid, stupid bet, one that can't be justified at all, by any math, and yet he hit it.  

And of course, when it happens, noobs insist it is a conspiracy of the poker site, ignoring the fact that the site get's the exact same amount of money (the rake) no matter who wins.  

It had become a huge time sink, and I cut way back on my playing, but left my account intact.  The Big Brother came in, shut them down, and stole the money in my account, for my own good, of course.  It was only about eighty bucks, but that put me on tilt more than any bad beat I'd suffered at the tables.  

I have rage issues, and playing competitive online game doesn't help, AT ALL. Now i see why crabs point me to this thread, when i mentioned my rage fest yesterday in another post. For me the triggers, are lack of sleep and loosing 3 or 4 games in a row, after that my brain stops working, but i refuse to stop because i NEED a win to relax, and when i finally win i go and play again and loose, and rage, and the process starts all over again. Biggest issue is that i have imsomnia, so i'm constantly sleep deprived therefore constantly angry. Today the test server is back up, today is a good day :D.

I used to be like that and know many like that,eventually kicked the habit,no regrets.

Guilty. I hate losing streaks. And they do make me play worse, especially if the tank I'm playing is not really one I plan to keep or really want in the first place (like I'm ultimately just trying to get a double to speed the grind, because what I really want is further up the tree from that tank), or is bad at carrying as some tanks are.

I will recognize the problem, but even though I have, my decisions will still be off. I'll still take unnecessary risks or fire, give up too early, or misread the battle and make a mistake.

Platooning does help offset that to some degree...in the sense that it makes me less angry since it's impolite to do that over teamspeak or platoon chat, and no one wants to hear it, but you can throw in a comment when something bullshit happens, and get knowing understanding from platoon mates if they are decent players...everyone good at the game has bounced off the side of a batchat at some point right? But I've found the best cure for tilt is a winning streak, and platooning helps that since you have 2 other people that can help you or give advice. If it's really going bad and I'm platooning with people who are regular, I will tell them after a while (especially if I'm playing awful) that I don't want to think anymore...just tell me where they want me and what they want me to do, and I can often do that far better (focus on my area of the map) without the burden of trying to "outstrategize" the enemy which is mostly just pubs derping along, sometimes unpredictably.

Bad games and bad streaks are still the biggest thing holding me back as a player and keeping me from cracking 58%+ consistently. I generally play at about 55% now, even though my overall is 52.7. But the streaks ALWAYS hurt, and I've realized I get far more losing streaks (5+ games) than winning streaks, especially solopubbing.

Still highly relevant in 2014, deserves a necro/bump. :)

Personally I play best with others who also have a high "tilt threshold". Platoon morale seems like a house of cards: if one member gets annoyed/angry/frustrated, the rest will soon follow. Sadly I'm not immune to this effect.