Sign in to follow this  
Sipher351

AIO Failure, Replace or Troubleshoot?

Booted up this morning and got all kinds of weird behavior. Hard locks and shutdowns. When it would stay on long enough, I could see that performance was terrible. First reverted to stock CPU settings to rule that out, then pulled up HW monitor and saw my CPU temps were at 99-100C. 

This is the first time I've used an AIO in my build (just shy of two years old, build thread is here on page 2) so I'm not sure if it's worth trying to figure anything out with it, or if I should just replace it. I think it's probably the pump, cause the radiator is cool to the touch while the CPU is hot enough to shut itself down for protection. Seems like if the pump was working the radiator itself would be hot.

So yeah, worth troubleshooting it or should I just go straight for a replacement? 

the cpu block pump probably has died if your cpu is jumping so high in temps that its causing it to reach its TJmax then shut down to prevent the cpu from frying. if its still under warranty submit a warranty claim for it, if not best to just buy a new AIO. 

21 hours ago, Draco912 said:

the cpu block pump probably has died if your cpu is jumping so high in temps that its causing it to reach its TJmax then shut down to prevent the cpu from frying. if its still under warranty submit a warranty claim for it, if not best to just buy a new AIO. 

Yeah, I knew right away when I saw the temps that's what it was, especially since the radiator was cool to the touch at the same time.

It was still under warranty by about 2 months. But, after paying for shipping, waiting for them to get it, process the return, and ship me a new one, I didn't really want to be without my PC for 2+ weeks. I only paid like $77 USD for it so I guess I got my two years worth of money out of it. 

Replaced it with a Corsair H100i Pro because Amazon had next day delivery on it. Enough people recommend it so hopefully it won't bite me. Now I have to test out my old OC settings and make sure this one can hang, lost a decent chuck of radiator thickness going to this model, but the installation was much easier at least.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:24 PM, TheMarine0341 said:

Just echo'ing whats been stated: AIO's are either replaced under warranty, or replaced if they're out of warranty.

And then you get a Noctua NHD-15 :D

I had a NH-D14 in two different computers and when it was installed, I couldn't reach or see anything on the motherboard near it.  I couldn't connect additional fans to the fan headers on the motherboard without removing the NH-D14 because I couldn't see or reach them.  I could only use low profile RAM because no other RAM would clear the heatsink.  No need to use RGB RAM when you can't see it anyway.  I couldn't swap out my stock power supply cables with the nicer colored cables without removing the NH-D14 because I couldn't reach the connectors on the top edge of the motherboard because the NH-D14 was in the way.  I couldn't mount the radiator for my EVGA Hybrid graphics card on the rear 120/140mm case fan mount because the hot air from my NH-D14 blew into it and caused the GPU temperatures to spike.  Also there was less than 5mm of clearance between the rear of the NH-D14 and the radiator fan.

It was the same issue on two different motherboards in two different cases.  In the end, I swapped the NH-D14 for a 360mm AIO.  My CPU temperatures dropped by 2-3C over the NH-D14 when encoding and rendering and I can reach everything on the motherboard now.