Caprias

How do you not tilt?

Question

After a 4 year break with this game and trying my best the last few weeks holding up 2,1k wn8 and 55% wr im seriously so salty again i might need to quit another 4 years.

So my question is basically how you manage your mindset and not tilt for the following or similar situations.

1) Grinding an underpowered tank that has been hit by powercreep the last few years.

I need around 200k xp for the next 2 T8 heavys in the german techtree playing the tiger P.

This thing is slow, has no good armor profile, laughable alpha and dpm and the gunhandling and depression sucks a**.

And this thing is probably not even the worst offender to come.

2) Being the prey of BS RNG.

Im not talking about dispersion, im not talking about low rolling, that stuff is tied to gamebalance/making games more dynamic for me and im not that easily tiltable at least.

Getting snapshotted by some russian tank while you are flanking with your medium 300 meters away and half your tank behind cover AFTER he moved his turret and hull probably having his aiming reticle cover half the map would be a good example of stuff where i simply want to fling my pc out the window.

Or more common: good aimed shots that would on average penetrate the target but since +/-25% rng don't.

Hitting russian lower plates or the good side of the pike noses and not damaging them because your pen. simply lowrolled 15-25% is utter BS imo. and seriously makes me tilt, i really should uninstall the mod that shows you where and at what angle you got hit/hit the enemy..

3)Premium ammunition spam at every tier.

I hated it 4 years ago, i don't understand how so many players have this kind of credits nowadays and i hate it even more especially when im in a tank or in certain situations where the enemy just doesn't need it.

I don't even know what tilts me more, driving in my grille 15/leopard1 and getting shot 90% of the time with premium ammunition or driving in a tank that actually relies on it's armor...

On the other hand there are some tanks like the campaign reward soviet t10 heavy where prem/HE is the only answer...

I know the human memory is very subjective but i really liked the heavy gameplay of earlier wot more, shooting weakspots and trying to hide your's/make it hard to hit.

Now it just feels like either you load premium or even more stupid if even premium doesn't work spam HE, this might have to do something with map design but idk.

I really want to like/play this game more, my more casual friends have nearly double my battles by now since they didn't take a break this long, however:

It just feels like the more i understand this game and get better the more BS i think about certain design decisions and overall game balance by wargaming.

9 answers to this question

how to avoid tilting as a tryhard:

distance yourself from emotional investment - while treating the game like life and death sure gives you a good attention span towards it but it'll also cloud your judgment every bad streak of games meaning you're letting your emotions dictate your gameplay quality 

figuring out ways to prevent your cause of death/bad situations for next time is all you can do after the mistake has already been made, most of these tend to be very specific but once you get them down you can start looking at the map with a much better sense of gameflow in the end since you just keep adding stuff important to know about the map in its current situation

^ focus on this and it should be easier to keep a neutral attitude towards your previous bad game

look at hard facts port mortem, keep them simple when reasoning as to why your game was shit and find an answer, don't blame the game/enemy tank/gold/serb/rng for what happened but rather think about something actually useful like why you died, what should've been done instead and so on until you get reasonable answers like "pushing here blindly with X and Y positions unspotted makes this play dangerous" and make note that you need position X and Y in this situation to be spotted or made sure to be unused for this play to be a good idea etc. > go into next game. this type of thing tends to get specific but go over the game until you find a lapse of judgment from your end and work your way from there into a better gameplan - this is probably the biggest source of useful non-written info the game gives you if you stick to it over time as you will get much better at predicting outcomes with better gameplans and more efficient at doing it.

low risk low reward plays are still better than high risk high reward plays if you start comparing their results (at least to me they are) because low/low plays don't kill you - obv low/high plays are best but when unsure of what to do, take the high percentage play and you save yourself a lot of frustration, especially on maps you're unfamiliar with its terrain on (knowing which houses are solid, what rubble tanks the entire shell and not just slightly lower its pen and the general elevation differences is beyond my knowledge at least on this many maps), playing more cautiously helps you make better decisions when you often run into situations you're unsure of how to play out on those maps

once you're tilted you are, don't brush it off but admit it right away to start speculating as to if you feel like this mistake ruined the session - if so then just quit and try again later, no reason ever to play during sub-optimal circumstances if you don't need to

arty - start tracking their reloads and poke before their reloads are up and try to wait until the arty fires (most preferably on someone else doing the same thing you are) until your next poke to keep yourself from being lit and in a reloaded arty crosshair at the same time

i normally just quit whenever my anger gets the better of me, first time that happens means at least a 2h break

these days i only really tilt from being focused unreasonably, like tanks not shooting the easiest target they have, or not focusing a low HP autoloader in the open but rather the hulldown full hp tank poking (me) etc, things that should be working, looks like they're working, acts like they're working, but don't. 

you just start accepting the stuff you can't impact and get with the programme there. maps, mm, rng are all things you can't really control so it's a needless source of pressure you don't need, when these things happen you can't really do much to change them but play along and if you really got screwed then you simply drew the short straw, everyone gets those once in a while. when that happens you still have a reason as to why the game was bad, and when it's out of your control then there's no point dwelling on it at all. 

mostly it's about self-criticism and some confidence, tilt prevents you from using either which are both vital aspects of skill refinement and it absolutely destroys your attention span and keeps autopiloting to focus on processing emotions instead

tl;dr

better understanding of the game prevents tilting

• put yourself in low risk situations over high risk even if the payoff is much worse, take the short term small loss over "risking it" every time and you should automatically start going into wr of 58+ imo
  • stabilise gameplay, every action should have a reason for it and that reason should be good enough to warrant the action
  • recognise when it's time to quit
  • focus is required to improve but not to play well - autopiloting means that the game isn't your primary focus currently going on inside your head so remove the other distractions if you want to learn more efficiently
  • sound assumptions let you skip steps in favour of tempo 

understand why something's happening and it stops getting under your skin eventually

NO Tilt - A How To Guide:

Step 1: Don't play shit tanks. Tiger P is sub par and its only going to continue. E100 was one of my favourite tanks in the game 4 years ago, now I'm considering selling it for black market buying power. Maus is also really meh, and the tech tree VK thing has a massive weakspot on the side of its hull below the turret that just completely negates its ability to sidescrape.  Grind lines that are actually competitive in the modern game.

Step 2: Carry a healthy gold loadout and use it. A lot of the newer tanks actually require gold to pen their WEAK spots. Change your attitude towards it. See a maus or E100? lmao gold through the turret no fucks given.

Step 3: Relax a little... pretty purple numbers don't really mean shit anymore, just try and enjoy the game, take some time to re-learn the meta and it'll come back.

Step 4: Seriously, don't play shit tanks.

Yeah the gold spam especially honestly.

4 years ago it wasn't necessary, but good to get an edge or if you had someone in a strong position. nowadays gold spam is flat out required, especially in higher tiers. they changed game balance to balance around gold ammo pen and not standard ammo, so you gotta think of gold ammo as the standard ammo now.

but playing tanks you enjoy is the #1 thing really. when I used to go on tilt, I found that the best way to get off it was to go play the T-54 (basically my favourite tank) load up near enough full HEAT, and go and basically derp into the enemies (I found when playing on tilt i'd be suuuuper passive and just do nothing all game, so going full yolo would through me out of the mindset - I've heard that others do the opposite and yolo too much when on tilt)

I’m not good at this game by any measure. But watching twitch confirms that even the best players tilt reasonably often. Kolni seems to be one of the best at accepting it early and ending his session; the only real remedy for tilt.

RNG on pen also shits me to tears. It’s a final layer of bullshit that pisses me off nearly as much as arty. But with so many layers of BS to contend with in this game it shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Easier said than done I know.

Gold spam: get over it. It’s in the game for the foreseeable future so follow PityFool’s step 2. I played 2019 without a premium account; mostly tier 6 to 9. I mostly stick to tanks with good standard pen, but use premium shells whenever genuinely advantageous, and credits weren’t an issue. Also, the credit equation rewards you massively for penning higher tier tanks, so there’s no reason not to load it against higher tier HTs.

In regards to tilt, like kolni i have just detatched myself emotionally from the game. Just focus on your own game and what you should have done and/or what you should avoid. 

In regards to gold rounds, its just part and parcel of the game now. Armour is meaningless except for turrets and its now World of Hulldown Goldspam.
Since you have been gone, WG went through the stage where they added armour to everything and removed weakspots so that the only way to pen those tanks was to press 2.

This was after they changed the credit earning economy and increased the credit gain in higher tiers. Between this, premium tanks that are orders of magnitude better than tech tree tanks and the ever increasing roster of tier 8 premiums, most players are flush with credits and will just run gold. 

WG's game design has been trash, but its been earning them a fuck tonne of money so they will keep going down this route at the expense of what the game was due to the captive audience it has. 

I'm not sure what its like in the EU server but on ASIA, you almost exclusively get shot by gold at times and tier 10 is 90% gold. 

Oh, and i missed the bit about map design which promotes the hulldown staring contests. 

28 minutes ago, PityFool said:

NO Tilt - A How To Guide:

Step 1: Don't play shit tanks. Tiger P is sub par and its only going to continue. E100 was one of my favourite tanks in the game 4 years ago, now I'm considering selling it for black market buying power. Maus is also really meh, and the tech tree VK thing has a massive weakspot on the side of its hull below the turret that just completely negates its ability to sidescrape.  Grind lines that are actually competitive in the modern game.

Step 2: Carry a healthy gold loadout and use it. A lot of the newer tanks actually require gold to pen their WEAK spots. Change your attitude towards it. See a maus or E100? lmao gold through the turret no fucks given.

Step 3: Relax a little... pretty purple numbers don't really mean shit anymore, just try and enjoy the game, take some time to re-learn the meta and it'll come back.

Step 4: Seriously, don't play shit tanks.

Kind of thought so already on the shitty tanks part, the thing is i really want to complete all lines at some point, guess grinding a enjoyable line and only getting the daily win on bad ones could be a solid strategy since it will get faster and faster later on thanks to blueprints once you are closing in on grinding.

Thanks for the advice.

6 hours ago, Caprias said:

Kind of thought so already on the shitty tanks part, the thing is i really want to complete all lines at some point, guess grinding a enjoyable line and only getting the daily win on bad ones could be a solid strategy since it will get faster and faster later on thanks to blueprints once you are closing in on grinding.

Thanks for the advice.

dont forget the boosters too.

Play until you're no longer having fun. When you get tilted, take a break. Play a new game and come back later. Most people play worse when they're mad, so when you get mad play something else. Sometimes I play 3 or 4 games, sometimes its more like 30. The game isn'f going anywhere so theres no reason to punish yourself. As for in game, play tanks you like, not trash tanks and don't plah stock tanks.