Sign in to follow this  
FlorbFnarb

Anybody playing DCS?

I bought an Oculus Rift S a couple weeks ago, and I'm looking for combat flight sims.  My brother and I both ran across DCS and it seems to be the combat flight sim of choice right now.  And man is it complex.  It's a full-sim sort of thing.  Clickable cockpits on the newer plane models, etc.  Very demanding on the GPU, but I'm managing to run it at 40 FPS on my four year old video card, and that seems to produce some acceptable performance.

Looks like it can get expensive though.

Anybody else playing this?

No, but damn, I'd love to. Even though I'm just bad at flying and especially landing - took me a couple of hours to manage ils landing in an old ms flight sim.

In Soviet Union, tunnel go through you!

On 2/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, Folterknecht said:

Is that you?

On 2/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, orzel286 said:

No, but damn, I'd love to. Even though I'm just bad at flying and especially landing - took me a couple of hours to manage ils landing in an old ms flight sim.

Pick it up.  The game itself is free, although it only comes with one map, Caucasus, and two planes: an unarmed TF-51D, and a Frogfoot.

Not too demanding on the computer either when playing in flatscreen, and even my four year old machine is getting a workable 40 fps in VR.

18 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

In Soviet Union, tunnel go through you!

Is that you?

Nope - a young german girl/woman. One of the best DCS/IL2 players world wide.

Decendant from Hanna Reitsch and Ernst Udet:verysmug:

On 2/15/2020 at 3:47 PM, Folterknecht said:

Nope - a young german girl/woman. One of the best DCS/IL2 players world wide.

Decendant from Hanna Reitsch and Ernst Udet:verysmug:

Flying is in the blood, then.

If anybody wants cold start checklist kneeboards for the F-18, I made some.  It's broken into four pages so that they're legible on the kneeboard that's actually on your leg, if you prefer to do that rather (say in VR) rather than having to pull them up on the eye-level kneeboard.

PNG files are in a google drive:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-vPl2-IfxDLQW05sejaN5sPHLWb24XGH

And the spreadsheet I made them from:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15hvQRsdB0e_JVgCrsU5P5hY1fUQ9VIOssCrQv5yZpQ4/edit?usp=sharing