Tarski

Frontlines + Steel Hunter: 3 tier 9 reward tanks

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/game-modes/expedition-2020/

Frontlines is to return March-May and Steel Hunter August-November. Four stages each, three points per stage. Twelve points gets you a reward vehicle, which means you have to pick 2 out of 3 at most. The reward vehicles are: 

I'm certainly looking forward to another chance to grab the AE Phase 1, which looks fun. If I earn enough points, between the other two I'll probably grab the 777 since I performed terribly in the Bat-Chat AP. 

8 hours ago, NightmareMk9 said:

How much grinding on Frontline to get Prestige 15???  Do we think they will increase the XP requirements AGAIN?

After a comment I made about frontline being a ridiculous grindfest on the official forums and others followed a mod said that this time it will be different and we'll like the changes. I think they dropped the requirements by a lot. 

For mine FLs had two major flaws.

One was the stale blob cap meta. I'm not sure how pronounced it was on other servers but on sea it basically distilled down to a bunch of fast tanks blobbing around. With cap / defence points being the fast road to general it was pretty much the most effective way to play, so that's what everyone did.

Second was the silly magic spells like spotter planes and smoke breaking the vision game.

Steel hunter i just played run away for as long as possible then died. Seemed to work. I just hope they do something about the obvious teaming that was going on.

1 hour ago, Diriz0n said:

I like  grinding Frontlines. Provides a fairer, equal tier 8 opportunity to grind out useless tech tree tier 8 tanks

Yeah, its pretty laid back overall. Fun for a while, not all the time tho.

12 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Honestly, while the air/artillery strikes were cancer, the spotter plane was probably the healthiest consumable. Being able to dig out bushwankers is nice for being able to push.

You have a good point about the spotter, I've also found that the Smoke Screen is useful for pushing on cap circles. As for the arty/airstrikes, well WG solved the arty problem by giving it to everyone.

Yeah FL was great for grinding out stock modules or shitty tanks. Got both the Swedish tech tree med and heavy from stock to fully researched so i could then play in randoms without spending any free XP.

It was also insane as a crew grinder and credit farm mode. I got numerous crews basically 1 full skill increased, if not more, and it allowed me to grind 2nd crews basically from scratch (both Swedish crews were girl crews not used before).

I also found it a good place to just mindlessly play and relax, without worrying about winning too much or even getting capped fast or whatever. You just drive and shoot, and it was reasonably fun. Yeah, it was grindy particularly when I was focused on getting the AE Phase 1 at the end, but that's assuaged by the credits you're making hand over fist. Each week it was on I made a note of my credits and crew levels of the tanks I would focus that week, and then tally the progress at the end of the week - with boosters applied to crew xp and credits, the progress was amazing. The FL specific boosters they added towards the end were also really useful.

All in all, I guess I'm a really big fan of FL. Couldn't get into Steel Hunter whatsover though, that will be a grind for me I think.

The biggest benefit of Frontline is the credits that you can make playing premium tanks in it. Even without a premium account (which I was for all of last year), it is an unparalleled earner. It was a must-play just to keep my credit balance broadly in the black as I was also grinding some crappy tanks that needed a lot of gold-spam.

The mode itself however became super stale after a while because the meta is so fixed with just 2 maps, given that cap points (attack or defend) are the best way to level up it leads to some very predictable moves, and also the situation where if you missed out or screwed up the session was almost a bust because it was not a guarantee to get to General rank. It was also far too grindy, I knew straight away with my schedule and limited play-time I would never get the top level of rewards, so I have zero incentive to push for it - hence it became just about credit grinding for me.

The new rules have been announced. Highlight: 

Frontline, the most epic mode in World of Tanks, will return to the game in the first quarter of 2020 in a revamped format, including a shared progression with Steel Hunter. 

One of the main changes coming this Season is the reduction of Frontline Tiers from 30 to 15. Completing them will require less Frontline Experience than last year, but not by half as you might think.

Also: 

Airstrike Rework

This Combat Reserve will be more effective against mobile and poorly-protected vehicles, but less effective against heavy tanks. Also, the deployment of the Airstrike will be faster, which will allow you to inflict more damage.

For example, if you are playing in a slow brawler and find yourself surrounded by light tanks, or a wheeled scout is circling you, you can activate the reworked Airstrike and rest assured your enemies will take more damage than you. Also, this Combat Reserve will allow you to smoke out tank destroyers from hard-to-reach shelters.

Revamped Respawn Selection System

In the previous Season, you could only choose the direction in which to respawn, and the specific point of your entry into the game was determined automatically. This time, players on the attacking team will have up to four (4) dynamic respawn points to choose from, and the defending team up to six (6), including those behind the front lines. The defending team has more respawn points because they must be able to fall back and repel the enemy’s attack if it breaks through to the Pillboxes.

Respawn points that are under attack will be highlighted in red.

Maps Rebalancing

Both existing Frontline maps, Normandy and Kraftwerk, will receive a slight balance revamp:

Kraftwerk: Will feature new buildings and landscape changes that will hopefully create new opportunities for the attacking team.
Normandy: Zones B and C will be rebalanced. Changes in zone B will allow defenders to better repel attacks while zone C will be easier to capture. These tweaks are intended to provide a more balanced and dynamic gameplay experience.
More details will be available at a later date. Stay tuned!

Honestly? Most of it sounds pretty good. I kind of like Frontline, but got burned out by the mode after finishing the final prestige and getting the tanks last year and didn't bother playing the last two episodes.

They refunded extra reserves last time, if purchased with gold, and removed those earned. So that would be a no. They were a hot fix to make up for setting the requirements too high.

3 hours ago, Kymrel said:

They refunded extra reserves last time, if purchased with gold, and removed those earned. So that would be a no. They were a hot fix to make up for setting the requirements too high.

That shows how little attention I paid to that grindy mode after a while. 

On current stats the two new tanks are pretty meh. 777 is like a slower but slightly better armoured T-10 and the Bat Chat thing has a 4s intra-clip and pretty bad gun handling by 2020 WOT standards. 

Also a bit annoying they haven't alternated the two modes to mix up the grind a little. 

Yeah, I don't get that. Why not alternate? Possibly they need time to do some changes for Steel Hunter? I don't know anything about that game mode, didn't play it when it was live last year. If it needs a bit of work it makes sense to start with Frontline.