Tarski

Playing hilltop city on Westfield

There are games (e.g. 3 × top tier arty) where I'm pretty sure the best place to go on Westfield from the uphill spawn is the city. But especially in slow vehicles, I don't know what lines of fire to try to exploit or be afraid of, and sometimes I make myself useless. Any advice or replays? 

I've found that the only way  I consistently survive Westfield when there is three times the "dynamic gameplay"  is to not be spotted. I tend to lurk at the base of the hill north of town and shoot people who wander into city seeking shelter from "dynamic gameplay". Sure those buildings provide the only protection from the scourge upon humanity in the entire map, but going there opens you to shots from others in town, from the hill to the north, and from across the valley to the south. I guess its a choice between other tanks or "dynamic gameplay". 

The city angles are hard to play because you will poke into crossfires no matter what you do, either the TDs or meds get shots on you and the spots are used every game without fail so I’d suggest playing the northern part of the city to prevent south from getting render on you

Also very little to actually fight there, but I still play the same way on 2+ arty games, north spawn has a much better middle imo, i get good games there but from south i get very tricky situations to play most of the time because you just don’t have any other way of surviving on the map otherwise

I think you just have to try things out, it’s a passive play that you play along with and not where you dictate what happens so you need to learn how to respond to things happening and while it’s gonna suck short term it gets better later on when you can actually respond right away in the right ways

takes a while to get there but there are no good quick fixes to making plays like that any easier to do, just keep it in mind every time you get westfield with MM that makes you want to play middle that you should try things out when you can afford to try it to get a hands on response to what you’re doing 

On 2/21/2020 at 9:56 PM, Snoregasm2 said:

My face when you're waiting for @kolni to comment on a thread to find an amazing position on a map but the advice is just 'there isn't one, play smart/ passive and git gud through dying a lot'. 

i mean.. there are good spots to play but not with 3 arties on westfield, you get lit too much on those spots to survive the arties

so you settle for a passive play where you rely on your skillset to have a good game, you can’t make a set play with so little information as the middle of Westfield gives you, so that’s the best advice I have

its hard to be constructive while generalising, passive play is hard to review as a generalisation on certain maps because it only applies to super specific conditions that you’re going to meet like once every 50 games on that map (aka once every 1k+ games = not worth the time and effort)

a replay of that only gives you that tidbit of info, honing your decisionmaking on the map instead makes for better practice in my opinion, at least for the maps where set plays just don’t work well enough for good games(westfield, airfield, minsk, studzi, sand river and so on)

set plays simplify the game but they also limit your amount of decisions to make as you perfect them, which is a good thing most of the time but kinda bad sometimes too