kolni

Pick a (WoT) Topic for Kolni to write about

I have some free time, and I think this will get buried in status pretty easily so I'm making a topic that I will remove once this has settled. 

I'm going to make some content. Video or in text here on WoTLabs, but I'm drawing a blank on the content I actually want to write up, so I'm leaving the question to the floor and letting you decide the topic(s). 

What part of the game do you want more information of? There are no wrong answers, it can be simple or very very meta, that's up to you. I'm down for a good writeup once you decide. 

I feel like a poll might be in order but then I'd have to add the topics, so I'm just going to do it this way: the two answers that get the most upvotes are the ones I will write up. Upvotes are green, not blue (see below), I'll count blue too but make it easier to see thank you

I am open to doing replay analysis and map analysis, but keep in mind that I have zero editing skills and will be keeping most of the content purely theoretical. If that's what you want then so be it, but I won't be doing too many reviews in that case as they generally only seem to help the individual unless there are some universal problems. 

I'll try to answer anything asked here too, but focus will be on the topics at hand. There might be a chance I end up doing some of it on video to simplify the explanations. 

Some examples:

• MM reading (prediction)
  • Decisionmaking processes
  • Off Meta gameplay
  • Inner workings of specific mechanics (autoloader, italians, siege, vision and so on)
  • Micropositioning (plsno)
  • Troublesearching gameplay flaws and fixing them
  • Tryhard stuff
  • Adopting an improving mindset

and the list goes on, I'd rather the community that's still alive thinks of something on their own but there are no wrong topics, whatever the community feels the area that needs improving in content is the most is the ones I will do, so up to you. 

Shoot your ideas friends

How to deal with the current tier 10 MM (4 or 5 OP tanks (430U, 907, Chief, 277, Ebola), 3 or 4 high alpha TDs (4005, 183, 268v4) and 2 or 3 arty. And it's all tier 10, no 9s or 8s.

I honestly can't stand it right now, and I think the meta is just camp hard and be patient, which I struggle to do coming from playing enjoyable games at tiers 8 and 9. 

Is the meta completely different at tier 10? How do you play it postively/aggressively? Or can't you?

Not sure how you will write about this as there are so many different situations, but it could be in the mindset/decision making/tryhard category.

First few minutes of a battle, no obvious place to be/ tank is too slow to exploit some weakness etc, don't know how to affect the battle much until shit clears up.

For instance airfield, I'm in something like a BC25t, heavies are doing their thing, fuck load of ebrs north side, various deathstars north and south side, armored/ gun depression tanks fucking around on the hills. Normally I'm doing fuck all in the middle waiting for something to pop up and shoot. Are the maps retarded or am I retarded?

Some ideas that are kind of small and hard to make a whole article out of.

Player situational awareness.

Analysis of enemy team lineups.

When it is a good idea to fight and when it is better to fall back.

The value of a working 0 key and how people who have them are superior to people who don't.

How to get the most out of face roll games where one team rolls over the other with minimal losses. 

Fighting wheelchairs.

How valuable is view range beyond the 445 meters?

10 hours ago, echo9835 said:

Some ideas that are kind of small and hard to make a whole article out of.

Player situational awareness.

Analysis of enemy team lineups.

When it is a good idea to fight and when it is better to fall back.

The value of a working 0 key and how people who have them are superior to people who don't.

How to get the most out of face roll games where one team rolls over the other with minimal losses. 

Fighting wheelchairs.

I can answer these right here, won't dive too much into each but some need a little more explanation than others. 

Player Situation Awareness:

One's ability to take in information quickly, so the better you understand the information the easier it'll be to translate them into ideas and react. Requires experience to work properly, too many variables present itself naturally. Once you're able to take information in quickly you will speed up your decisionmaking and I just think this works for your reactive decisions too, mine improved at about the same rate now that I think of it. 

Short of that you need to comfortable enough with the game and probably understand the game's mechanics to develop enough player habits to be able to play awarely. Focus is required to be aware, so unless the game is all you think about you will have distractions. Fill your head with stuff wot wot wot wot wot wot wot wot and nothing else to keep focused, and your awareness really improves. I rarely play with something drawing attention from my screen, and when I do it's twitch chat. That's about a 600dpg difference everything I turn the stream on, so as you can see distractions really don't work for me. If you just ask "what if" before deciding stuff you can be aware without vision too. That's a really big step but your awareness goes to learning every angle from a position you use pretty fast meaning you get a better map sense. Map sense leads to easier decisions, better reactions. More stuff like this. Awareness is mostly focus but experience can autopilot the things you don't need to focus to do. You can't read MM without focusing, be critical, or you're never going to learn how to read them. You also can't autopilot initial deployment, but movement patterns push/retreat and set plays are fine to auto because they work the same every time anyway. All this type of stuff builds up to better awareness, you see what happens > understands what happens > acts accordingly more quickly when you know what it's supposed you should be understanding and woopdidoo a game sense has emerged

After that you just keep honing it like normal, what is good and what is bad > refine the bad> what is good now and what is bad > refine the bad > what is good now and what is bad >

That's how I go by getting my awareness back after long breaks at least. 

Analysis of enemy team lineups:

Questions you should be asking yourself during countdown and preferably have answers for:

As a 1-5 (out of 357 teamplates +full tier 10) top tier where you have a distinct advantage over most tanks you face:

• what can i fight that can't fight me back well?> how do i fight it/them, where does it go? > predict
  • where is the most damage? > what is my purpose this game? do we win where the most damage is?> if yes, go there; > if no, look for the 2nd best option: usually the winning flank, unless your team is too attrition heavy and can defend the (generally) third and lowest probable damage early, flank that will go evenly as it will be the last place you'll be able to survive as those teams give up too much map control.
  • highest impact play? do i need to actively push to win? can i stall the game for more damage? 
  • this is where you do the tryhard plays because here they work more than anywhere else, hard aggression works best here but obviously not a great idea all the time

As a midtier in +/-2 and bottom tier in +/-1:

• what can i fight that can't fight me back well? how and where do i fight>predict
  • where do i get the most damage safely? where do people cross, and at what parts of the game? 
  • what can i leverage to win against stronger tanks than me? 
  • stick to core of the team without a set play, kite them to prolong your game alive if you can
  • lategame your disadvantage means much less, you are stronger than you realise with hp

As a -2 bottom tier:

• can i get any free damage? go there early
  • use either mobility to rotate into as much free damage as possible before committing to a play, or with slower tanks play behind the main engagement, wherever you can get any free shots off before committing yourself to a play
  • avoid risktaking, mistakes here usually mean you die fast
  • time is definitely your friend, take lower close to goal damage games over risking high damage games for trash, so never allow yourself to trade poorly when aware of the trade being bad

When it is a good idea to fight and when it is better to fall back.:

It's usually a good idea to fall back, but fighting works better sometimes. You need certain things to line up for it work. You need a defense that can deal damage without taking any, generally a defense in randoms consists of fewer defenders than aggressors, so you need to be sure there's a chance you actually come out of it alive before taking that risk. You still have defenders on neutral ground, but knowing when to hold them and risk swarming takes time, you generally can hold one at bay forever, two for a while but never 3 or more. If 3 tanks get close to you, you will die almost no matter what. You don't want that. The fighting games like that though are the ones absolutely most fun to play, and generally very strong performance wise. You learn more of a game if you fall back to keep yourself alive for as long as possible, the trick is knowing how long you can fight before falling back and trying to cut them closer and closer, which really just comes down to experience. 

The value of a working 0 key and how people who have them are superior to people who don't:

Compare my sig with any person without a working 0 keys and you have your answer :doge: 

How to get the most out of face roll games where one team rolls over the other with minimal losses:

Recognise which side of it you're on first, and try to see it coming as soon as possible. Take measures if you get that gut feeling it's coming and learn to trust your intuition. 

Winning end: Get ahead of your team, not by much, but enough to set up whatever you want to do before the team can touch it. Trackshots on superheavies, full autoloader clips, and stuff like that are much easier to do if you're ahead in tempo and have more time to assess the engagement before poking

Losing end: Fall back, as soon as you feel pressured you should be falling back. Open maps are worse because you need to fall back earlier, but city maps generally require 50-100m tops to create a new chokepoint. Steamroll losses are played by staying alive, take any free damage and reserve HP for the last 2 minutes of the game, fight the place that won't swarm you then, fight the swarm

Fighting wheelchairs: (EBR's)

My trick is just slightly more lead than I think it should be, and it tends to connect more often. Wait for them to line up straight either horizontal or vertical to you, vertical makes them easy to autoaim and just adjust one axis, works decently well

It's mostly to ease your risk of getting outspotted past the camo skill, better view range means people outspot you and if you spot them first you get to make the first move 

it also gives the camo piercing that really helps to see through bushes and negate camo skill (an m60 with improved optics can spot the td's in the back crossing into 1 line on prokh for example, incredibly abuseable)

i find it together with situational awareness make for a much more able vision game than what i'm playing against, and that's an advantage i really know how to use, as i feel other do too

9 minutes ago, kolni said:

The value of a working 0 key and how people who have them are superior to people who don't:

Compare my sig with any person without a working 0 keys and you have your answer :doge: 

:bigdoge:

18 hours ago, kolni said:

Some examples:

• MM reading (prediction)
  • Decisionmaking processes

• Troublesearching gameplay flaws and fixing them

The MM reading at the start of a match I really suck at. I'll estimate and then suddenly a 257 is in mid field on Prok leading a charge.

my Decision-making isn't terrible but my execution of it is

hunting for root causes of gameplay flaws tends to be more based on my mindset than my actual focus level(s)

I second dealing with the tier 10 campy/arty/hull down meta, especially in more paper/non-meta stuff, dealing with 4 or 5 TDs in Op positions you'll never outspot and balancing passiveness with aggressiveness.

I feel that aggressive play, which is my more natural play, is just punished very hard these days and base campers seem to win games way more often than they used to, I hark for the days of watching MrFalkers just aggressively pushing flanks in Russian meds and steamrolling people. 

21 hours ago, kolni said:

How to get the most out of face roll games where one team rolls over the other with minimal losses:

Recognise which side of it you're on first, and try to see it coming as soon as possible. Take measures if you get that gut feeling it's coming and learn to trust your intuition. 

Winning end: Get ahead of your team, not by much, but enough to set up whatever you want to do before the team can touch it. Trackshots on superheavies, full autoloader clips, and stuff like that are much easier to do if you're ahead in tempo and have more time to assess the engagement before poking

Losing end: Fall back, as soon as you feel pressured you should be falling back. Open maps are worse because you need to fall back earlier, but city maps generally require 50-100m tops to create a new chokepoint. Steamroll losses are played by staying alive, take any free damage and reserve HP for the last 2 minutes of the game, fight the place that won't swarm you then, fight the swarm

Like this?

image.thumb.png.5bb52a6e121d5b8c2471f86c00731124.png

Replay for anyone who wants to know how to get 3.9k dmg in a 5 min 0 - 15 loss on Mines:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5251454#stats

It seems like it should be a basic skill, but more specific mechanics on how to play 2nd line/support as a bottom tier, especially in crowded corridors. I have an awful time finding shots, even just to hit tracks because of friendlies in the way up front. So, I have a tendency to go to the undermanned flanks and a lot of times that leads to my early death. Maybe it is all in just learning the maps to the micro level?

2 hours ago, kolni said:

I'll give it til march 4th to see what's come out on top and then start writing those topics up

I'm more of a power bottom if that's ok

On 2/27/2020 at 7:21 AM, sohojacques said:

How do you approach Prokorovka or Malinovka with 3 arty per side in a HT and a MT?

Not Kolni (God) ofc but my strategy was to get spotted once shoot run disappear for a while.

Arty players prefer focusing on immobile targets.

If you play super slow heavies there are two ways imo. Camp like a td or push a flank. Pushing is more risky and sometimes you get nothing if you do it at the wrong time. However especially if you have optics you can try  spottimg for your team and get tons of assisted dmg.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:29 PM, k0lni said:

The value 0f a w0rking 0 key and h0w pe0ple wh0 have them are superi0r t0 pe0ple who d0n't:

C0mpare my sig with any pers0n with0ut a w0rking 0 keys and y0u have y0ur answer :doge: 

0kay, it is good to know that, I have that key.  That makes me superior, yes?

1.  Trouble shooting current gameplay flaws.  

2.  Explaining why half the forum believes Skoda T50/TVP  310mm HEAT pen makes them suck, but otherwise think UDES and Kran HEAT pen is fine.   ?.

3. Would E50M be broken with L55  128mm

Don't ruin the thread.

Anyway, as an example of terrible camping winning games at higher tiers - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EiShUpc_pk&t=0s

^ That team gives up the entire map pretty much, but still win, I find situations like this are too common, sure the EBR lit everyone up but its still a decent example of higher tier situations I have been struggling with, curbing that natural inclination to attack, finding routes to spot etc.