Ham_

Corona Virus vs WotLabs Community Megathread

32 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Yeah.  I guess I'm hoping there's a lot more people infected already than we know about, and they're just asymptomatic, or have symptoms mild enough they aren't actually bothering to get tested because they think it's a bad cold or the seasonal flu?

Then again, that won't do us any good if there's no lasting immunity.

Its worse than that. There are a ton of people out there who have characteristic symptoms but due to the utter failure of the CDC and Federal leadership to ramp up testing, there are just not enough tests to go around. We are only testing people who are sick enough to be hospitalized or who are otherwise high risk. People want to be tested, doctors want to test patients, but there are just not enough tests.

30 minutes ago, Wanderjar said:

I'm wondering if there's any truth to the December flu thing being corona's first lap around the world

Wow really? That's interesting cuz one of my friends, my mom, and I were all pretty sick right before Christmas. I got home from Orlando and gave it to them. I was in bed for a few days with a 102 fever and upper respiratory symptoms. My mother had it worse, it settled in her lungs and played out exactly how COVID-19 is in high-risk patients (which she is.) She had her flu shot, but I didn't.

Interesting tbh

3 hours ago, sr360 said:

People want to be tested, doctors want to test patients, but there are just not enough tests.

Pretty much what's happening in HK right now. We don't have enough of anything, so anyone who aren't sick enough are merely quarantined at their homes or sent to quarantine camps.

Self-quarantine doesn't work because people are stupid and will still run around.

13 hours ago, Wanderjar said:

I'm wondering if there's any truth to the December flu thing being corona's first lap around the world

Who knows?  I wonder if it's even possible to find out at this point.  Maybe test people known to have had the flu then but who are considered unlikely to have already been exposed to the coronavirus, and see if they test positive for antibodies?

13 hours ago, sr360 said:

Its worse than that. There are a ton of people out there who have characteristic symptoms but due to the utter failure of the CDC and Federal leadership to ramp up testing, there are just not enough tests to go around. We are only testing people who are sick enough to be hospitalized or who are otherwise high risk. People want to be tested, doctors want to test patients, but there are just not enough tests.

Are we heading towards getting enough tests though?  I keep hearing we're developing faster tests that will return results in minutes.

45 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Are we heading towards getting enough tests though?  I keep hearing we're developing faster tests that will return results in minutes.

Those rapid new tests are out. Problem is the rapid "point of care" tests can only test one person at a time and there aren't enough test kits to go around. The tests which can run 50-100 people at a time are still in limited enough quantity that not everyone who needs a test can get one. We have those at my hospital but testing criteria are still not as loose as they should be.

The other problem is that we should have had the tests months ago. That would have been the best strategy for containment. Getting sufficient testing capacity in April or May is woefully inadequate when community spread has essentially become established.

I wonder what all governments will do after Cov-19. Will they prepare for the next pandemic or ignore it as something happening once per a century? 

1 hour ago, MacusFlash said:

I wonder what all governments will do after Cov-19. Will they prepare for the next pandemic or ignore it as something happening once per a century? 

To quote a smarter man than me, "Those that don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those that do, are doomed to stand by helpless while everyone else repeats it."

I suppose I'm dumb, because I just had somebody kinda explain why a mask will keep you from breathing the virus out but not in.  And I really should have seen the logic in it to begin with.

When you breathe out, especially with a cough or sneeze, the particles of moisture are a lot larger, and a mask will stop them, even just a plain cloth mask.  If you aren't, and you sneeze, but somebody else in the room is masked, by the time those particles of moisture reach them, they're much smaller and can pass through a cloth mask - but not an N95.

Or at least that's how I understood what they were saying.

However, I'm hearing that the thinking is that it's more common to catch even respiratory viruses by touching surfaces carrying the virus and then touching your face, specifically your eyes, nose, or mouth, rather than actually breathing them in.  Which if that's true, it seems like handwashing would be even more critical.

I suspect people wearing a mask would also have a harder time touching their mouth or nose as well. A passive benefit I guess.

2 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I suppose I'm dumb, because I just had somebody kinda explain why a mask will keep you from breathing the virus out but not in.  And I really should have seen the logic in it to begin with.

When you breathe out, especially with a cough or sneeze, the particles of moisture are a lot larger, and a mask will stop them, even just a plain cloth mask.  If you aren't, and you sneeze, but somebody else in the room is masked, by the time those particles of moisture reach them, they're much smaller and can pass through a cloth mask - but not an N95.

Or at least that's how I understood what they were saying.

However, I'm hearing that the thinking is that it's more common to catch even respiratory viruses by touching surfaces carrying the virus and then touching your face, specifically your eyes, nose, or mouth, rather than actually breathing them in.  Which if that's true, it seems like handwashing would be even more critical.

Both handwashing and mask wearing are critical.

The main benefit of most masks (non-enclosed types) isn't to prevent you from breathing in crap, but to act as a barrier between your face and the guy spitting in your face while talking to you. Also flying droplets from people coughing or sneezing.

It's not about probabilities here, it's about doing as much as you can to protect yourself and others. Wear a mask if you have one, because at the end of the day wearing a mask is still better than not wearing one.

It's like safety boots and helmets and seatbelts. Most of the time you can get by without them doing anything, but you'll regret it when you do need them and they aren't there.

3 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Errbody still doing alright?

We will see. I’m on call next week and my state is bracing for the surge. Having said that we acted early and decisively and current projections show that we will have hospital and ICU capacity to spare, and in fact we are sending excess ventilators to NY.

We are now universal masks-on at the hospital, but PPE remains critically short and we have been instructed to reuse masks and certain other PPE

1 hour ago, sr360 said:

We will see. I’m on call next week and my state is bracing for the surge. Having said that we acted early and decisively and current projections show that we will have hospital and ICU capacity to spare, and in fact we are sending excess ventilators to NY.

We are now universal masks-on at the hospital, but PPE remains critically short and we have been instructed to reuse masks and certain other PPE

I forget what state you said you're in.  NJ?  PA?

1 hour ago, NightmareMk9 said:

The Conservative Republicans think California has Herd Immunity.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-california-herd-immunity/

They ALWAYS know what is best for me (and you), so fuck the quarantine, I'm going to break into Disneyland and lick all the hand rails.

It's a fair enough question whether herd immunity is responsible for why California seems to be getting very different results than New York.  I'm sure lower physical proximity and car culture are aspects, but yeah, California would have been in a bad state weeks ago if they were gonna be in a bad state; nothing quite explains (to me, that is, and I'm no doctor) why California is doing *this* much better than the NYC megalopolis.

Then again, I've heard that genetic studies of the virus say that NYC got their virus initially from Europe, not the western states, so perhaps the virus itself is performing differently depending upon the strain.

One theory I heard bounced around a while back was that climate could play a role in its transmissive qualities. Haven't looked for much more on that since so not sure if that theory progressed much.

9 minutes ago, Ezz said:

One theory I heard bounced around a while back was that climate could play a role in its transmissive qualities. Haven't looked for much more on that since so not sure if that theory progressed much.

Yeah, I heard something almost a month ago that high temperatures might tend to kill it.  I don't know if that's the case, but hopefully so; haven't heard much about it recently.  Apparently we're not even quite sure why flu season ends as temperatures rise; one hypothesis is apparently that the air tends to be dryer in the winter, allowing influenza viruses to float in the air longer, making transmission by breathing easier.

On another note, I learned today that some colds are caused by strains of coronavirus.  I had thought that all of them were caused by rhinoviruses, but apparently only like 85% of colds are caused by rhinoviruses; the rest are caused by coronaviruses and other viruses.

4 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Yeah, I heard something almost a month ago that high temperatures might tend to kill it.  I don't know if that's the case, but hopefully so; haven't heard much about it recently.  Apparently we're not even quite sure why flu season ends as temperatures rise; one hypothesis is apparently that the air tends to be dryer in the winter, allowing influenza viruses to float in the air longer, making transmission by breathing easier.

On another note, I learned today that some colds are caused by strains of coronavirus.  I had thought that all of them were caused by rhinoviruses, but apparently only like 85% of colds are caused by rhinoviruses; the rest are caused by coronaviruses and other viruses.

If normal high air temp could kill it, it would not affect deserted climate countries, from what I know the "high temp" was talking about something like 50℃ or even higher. Dry air have less larger particles in the air afloats compare to damp air, plus less moisture makes thing less likely to stick to each other, eveything feels sticky during damp weather because those are the particles (and viruses) supposed to be in air.

On 4/5/2020 at 1:34 PM, MacusFlash said:

Who knows.   Our pandemic plans were updated after SARS and after N1H1...

Granted, I don't think any Government planned for a Pandemic quite like this one.

We've been making things up on the fly, and now have just resorted to copying whatever Jacinda does.

The only thing that has really kept this from getting out of hand was our relative global isolation. 

People want to be tested, doctors want to test patients, but there are just not enough tests.

Can't die of Coronavirus if you aren't tested for Coronavirus *taps head*

So in the U.S. it looks like in keeping with our theme of slow decent into madness we're just going to not test people to artificially deflate the numbers. Then we'll reopen about 2-4 weeks sooner than optimal because the powers that be want a narrative that this was all overblown and political. When the virus is almost spent Americans will be getting back to their usual lifestyle and it will resurge, either as an actual second, smaller wave, or just an unsteady tick of X hundred extra dead people every day for however long it takes to run its course or develop a vaccine.

By that time Americans will shrug, because they're broke and need to get back to work, it's just old people lol, the daily numbers will be small and thus boring, there will be a non-stop narrative that it was never a big deal, and a chunk of the deaths will be swept under the rug by denying testing and other suppression.

13 hours ago, simba90 said:

If they had planned, It wouldn't be a pandemic like this.

No, that's unlikely.  Planning is only going to blunt a pandemic, not prevent it.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, FlorbFnarb said:

Errbody still doing alright?

Well, I posted all of this in discord a while ago but it's been 3 weeks and I'm still sick. Haven't been able to get tested due to it being a mild case. I've only seldom had a fever and it never lasted long while I've had tightness to my chest and throat continuously as well as a cough. I've been out of breath before getting my laundry and once for an hour after rubbing one out [which was hilarious to me but I didn't tempt fate like that again LUL] then on another occasion when talking but that all went away in severity before the doctors office opened. I have no underlying medical conditions aside from an LDL of 120 back in October, which I've actively worked on since with a change of diet, and a Vitamin D deficiency which I take supplements for. Neither should really impact this. The last time I had anything respiratory was Bronchitis and that was over 10 years ago so aside from being fat (not obese though) I should be in good shape to eventually beat this thing.

I'm keeping my parents in the dark about my being sick at all since due to the nature of my work (police department as support staff doing crime analysis) they were freaking out about me being exposed to it.

Came down with symptoms on March 27th, assuming it was cleaning chemicals as any time I was exposed to them my chest bothered me but over my weekend, the 28/29, it became more pronounced and constant. Went to the doctor and was given a week off. My Week started April 4th but on the 6th I was formally supposed to start working from home which since I had neither a department laptop nor remote access token meant calling to say present for duty and getting a log number at the start of my shift then again at the end to say end of shift for another log number. It's the departments way of keeping people home as much as they could and reducing exposure since as of March 27th we had 5 people at my precinct confirmed and there were another 30 awaiting test results amounting to a third of our personnel while I took a bus to the subway for commuting every day. On the 27th I was up front and 2 more people were sent home with one having symptoms and another receiving a call that someone he lives with tested positive. Fast forward to the 8th of April and my boss told me the job got me a laptop so I can properly work from home but he instructed me not to go so long as I have symptoms and just to let him know. So as of now the plan is tomorrow to go back to the doctor and let them decide what I do, just go out sick or get the laptop.