Ham_

Corona Virus vs WotLabs Community Megathread

2 hours ago, MetGreDKo said:

Well, I posted all of this in discord a while ago but it's been 3 weeks and I'm still sick. Haven't been able to get tested due to it being a mild case. I've only seldom had a fever and it never lasted long while I've had tightness to my chest and throat continuously as well as a cough. I've been out of breath before getting my laundry and once for an hour after rubbing one out [which was hilarious to me but I didn't tempt fate like that again LUL] then on another occasion when talking but that all went away in severity before the doctors office opened. I have no underlying medical conditions aside from an LDL of 120 back in October, which I've actively worked on since with a change of diet, and a Vitamin D deficiency which I take supplements for. Neither should really impact this. The last time I had anything respiratory was Bronchitis and that was over 10 years ago so aside from being fat (not obese though) I should be in good shape to eventually beat this thing.

I'm keeping my parents in the dark about my being sick at all since due to the nature of my work (police department as support staff doing crime analysis) they were freaking out about me being exposed to it.

Came down with symptoms on March 27th, assuming it was cleaning chemicals as any time I was exposed to them my chest bothered me but over my weekend, the 28/29, it became more pronounced and constant. Went to the doctor and was given a week off. My Week started April 4th but on the 6th I was formally supposed to start working from home which since I had neither a department laptop nor remote access token meant calling to say present for duty and getting a log number at the start of my shift then again at the end to say end of shift for another log number. It's the departments way of keeping people home as much as they could and reducing exposure since as of March 27th we had 5 people at my precinct confirmed and there were another 30 awaiting test results amounting to a third of our personnel while I took a bus to the subway for commuting every day. On the 27th I was up front and 2 more people were sent home with one having symptoms and another receiving a call that someone he lives with tested positive. Fast forward to the 8th of April and my boss told me the job got me a laptop so I can properly work from home but he instructed me not to go so long as I have symptoms and just to let him know. So as of now the plan is tomorrow to go back to the doctor and let them decide what I do, just go out sick or get the laptop. 

Sorry to hear it’s dragging out so long for you.  What is the doctor telling you to do for treatment?  Just stay home and rest?

7 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Sorry to hear it’s dragging out so long for you.  What is the doctor telling you to do for treatment?  Just stay home and rest?

Pretty much.

50 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

The more this goes on the more bullshit this looks.

What do you mean, friend, are you saying Corona was the reason they needed 40,000 Urns in Wuhan?

Naw, that's just "natural" causes.  No Covid here Bro.

Just like New York.  They average 20-25 deaths per day in peoples homes.  Natural causes and existing problems.

Since Covid that number is about 200 per day.  But those people don't get tested, so it's NOT Covid.

https://gothamist.com/news/surge-number-new-yorkers-dying-home-officials-suspect-undercount-covid-19-related-deaths

12 hours ago, MetGreDKo said:

Well, I posted all of this in discord a while ago but it's been 3 weeks and I'm still sick. Haven't been able to get tested due to it being a mild case. I've only seldom had a fever and it never lasted long while I've had tightness to my chest and throat continuously as well as a cough. I've been out of breath before getting my laundry and once for an hour after rubbing one out [which was hilarious to me but I didn't tempt fate like that again LUL] then on another occasion when talking but that all went away in severity before the doctors office opened. I have no underlying medical conditions aside from an LDL of 120 back in October, which I've actively worked on since with a change of diet, and a Vitamin D deficiency which I take supplements for. Neither should really impact this. The last time I had anything respiratory was Bronchitis and that was over 10 years ago so aside from being fat (not obese though) I should be in good shape to eventually beat this thing.

I'm keeping my parents in the dark about my being sick at all since due to the nature of my work (police department as support staff doing crime analysis) they were freaking out about me being exposed to it.

Came down with symptoms on March 27th, assuming it was cleaning chemicals as any time I was exposed to them my chest bothered me but over my weekend, the 28/29, it became more pronounced and constant. Went to the doctor and was given a week off. My Week started April 4th but on the 6th I was formally supposed to start working from home which since I had neither a department laptop nor remote access token meant calling to say present for duty and getting a log number at the start of my shift then again at the end to say end of shift for another log number. It's the departments way of keeping people home as much as they could and reducing exposure since as of March 27th we had 5 people at my precinct confirmed and there were another 30 awaiting test results amounting to a third of our personnel while I took a bus to the subway for commuting every day. On the 27th I was up front and 2 more people were sent home with one having symptoms and another receiving a call that someone he lives with tested positive. Fast forward to the 8th of April and my boss told me the job got me a laptop so I can properly work from home but he instructed me not to go so long as I have symptoms and just to let him know. So as of now the plan is tomorrow to go back to the doctor and let them decide what I do, just go out sick or get the laptop. 

Man I wish you the best sorry to hear that. I hope you get better soon.

Meanwhile Belgium is trending towards highest deaths/capita, because we are counting all deaths with fever and/or respiratory problems that exceed normal monthly average as corona deaths, and not only those effectively tested.

Stats are meaningless if not everyone uses the same counting methods.

1 hour ago, Private_Miros said:

Meanwhile Belgium is trending towards highest deaths/capita, because we are counting all deaths with fever and/or respiratory problems that exceed normal monthly average as corona deaths, and not only those effectively tested.

Yeah, this is the biggest issue with trying to track this thing globally at the moment, because every country and its dogs are counting deaths and cases, and are even testing differently. Some countries are taking the same approach as Belgium, anyone who has fever or respiratory problems, or have a positive test (even if complications) are counted as dying from Covid-19. Others are taking a stricter approach. Some countries are barely testing or have very strict testing criteria (so the ones they test are almost certainly positive, but they are missing a lot of mild symptom positive tests). And some, like China, are just outright fudging their figures.

I understand why some countries/jurisdictions are taking different approaches, but as a result one really, really has to be careful comparing data or just lumping everything together to get some kind of global statistics on this thing, because they are not all comparable.

23 hours ago, Private_Miros said:

22 hours ago, Balthazars said:

Yeah, this is the biggest issue with trying to track this thing globally at the moment, because every country and its dogs are counting deaths and cases, and are even testing differently.

snip

I understand why some countries/jurisdictions are taking different approaches, but as a result one really, really has to be careful comparing data or just lumping everything together to get some kind of global statistics on this thing, because they are not all comparable.

Much more difficult in the absolute global sense but in smaller sub-populations with more or less fixed criteria they still can paint a picture.  Those discrepancies should not significantly change the overall or even realative trends.   

Our area's testing criteria has changed about 4 times; depending on changes in risk, availability of test kits, and lab capacity.  However, even with that we are in the top five in per capita testing.

1 hour ago, Private_Miros said:

There was an interesting article in the NY Times on pct over normal monthly deaths:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

The mortality rate is probably much higher than that in my opinion as the general opinion considers only the deaths directly provoked by Covid.

Noone really thinks about those people who cannot recieve treatment due to hospitals focusing only on COVID patients: for example if a patient with a stage 1 cancer (like uterus carcinoma) cannot be operated due to the fact that ORs are used as ICUs, they will more likely die since they cannot be operated in a stage when the tumor is still resecable, as the cancer will grow to a point that it is either inoperable or very risky to remove. 

Thus, while many patients do not die directly from Covid, they are suffering indirectly from this pandemia.

This is why, in my opinion, this disease should have been handled differently from the start or as soon as it could be done, but it is easy to see solutions when things have already happened.

TL;DR: the data is not correct as not only many Covid infected people die at home and are not reported but there are also many others, who are not infected, who die because do not recieve the care they need 

1 hour ago, nabucodonsor said:

The mortality rate is probably much higher than that in my opinion as the general opinion considers only the deaths directly provoked by Covid.

Noone really thinks about those people who cannot recieve treatment due to hospitals focusing only on COVID patients: for example if a patient with a stage 1 cancer (like uterus carcinoma) cannot be operated due to the fact that ORs are used as ICUs, they will more likely die since they cannot be operated in a stage when the tumor is still resecable, as the cancer will grow to a point that it is either inoperable or very risky to remove. 

Thus, while many patients do not die directly from Covid, they are suffering indirectly from this pandemia.

This is why, in my opinion, this disease should have been handled differently from the start or as soon as it could be done, but it is easy to see solutions when things have already happened.

TL;DR: the data is not correct as not only many Covid infected people die at home and are not reported but there are also many others, who are not infected, who die because do not recieve the care they need 

I think that depends on the situation in the country/region. Apart from Lombardia, Madrid and New York, and before Wuhan, I don't think there's many regions where hospitals stopped processing normal cases. Here they just stopped the non-time sensitive ones (even if that's relative) such as aesthetic operations, getting out your wisdom teeth, sex operations, etc...

Australia is starting to do some elective surgeries again soon.

We've been relatively unscathed through this, testing criteria is loose and test numbers are falling simpy due to less people passing the low criteria.

26 minutes ago, Private_Miros said:

I think that depends on the situation in the country/region. Apart from Lombardia, Madrid and New York, and before Wuhan, I don't think there's many regions where hospitals stopped processing normal cases. Here they just stopped the non-time sensitive ones (even if that's relative) such as aesthetic operations, getting out your wisdom teeth, sex operations, etc...

I friend of mine works in England and he reported the same situation. Though it is true it is more region dependent as even here in Italy the situation is different depending on where you go. However the areas where the virus peaked are generally high densely populated areas therefore many have suffered from less access to care. Bear in mind that many who are sick prefer staying at home rather than going to the hospital as they are afraid of catching Covid. This is why ERs are generally empty atm from what I know.

19 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Australia is starting to do some elective surgeries again soon.

We've been relatively unscathed through this, testing criteria is loose and test numbers are falling simpy due to less people passing the low criteria.

Yeah you got lucky but also you handled the situation better as you focused more on keeping non serious Covid patients at home rather than sending them into hospitals.

Also on a side note Lombardia made the mistake of sending Covid patients back to retirement residents spreading the disease even more and increasing the death count by a huge margin. I hope Australia did not make the same mistake

The best way to handle this virus is keeping positive people at home

20 minutes ago, NightmareMk9 said:

I think we all know it is under reported, but 50x...  That seem very bad

https://qz.com/1841445/covid-19-may-be-undercounted-50-fold-in-la-antibody-surveys-show/

Looks like there might be some methodology issues (I just skimmed it) but if the cases are undercounted by more than the deaths, that could be a good thing; it would reduce the mortality rate.

Of course, the real question is, does infection and recovery grant full immunity, partial, or none?

1 hour ago, sr360 said:

So who's ready to do a trial of drinking bleach... for science?

Has someone been listening to the Walking Breathing Pile of Clown Shit in charge of the USA again???

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-dr-birx-reacts-as-trump-suggests-injection-of-disinfectant-to-beat-coronavirus-82518597530

The doctor's reaction is like: "What the actual FUCK is this guy talking about"...

UV Light and Disinfectant inside the lungs of someone with Covid19, what could POSSIBLY go wrong!!!

16 minutes ago, NightmareMk9 said:

Has someone been listening to the Walking Breathing Pile of Clown Shit in charge of the USA again???

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-dr-birx-reacts-as-trump-suggests-injection-of-disinfectant-to-beat-coronavirus-82518597530

The doctor's reaction is like: "What the actual FUCK is this guy talking about"...

UV Light and Disinfectant inside the lungs of someone with Covid19, what could POSSIBLY go wrong!!!

@sr360is one of those rare people that - often wrongly - supposes that people aren't dimwits that take obvious sarcastic statements as true.

I also think that's wrong, and generally take your approach. Everyone is a dimwit and no matter how stupid it sounds, he probably means it.

I think we are all on the same sarcastic page ...

BUT just to be 100% clear, Lysol says 'please don't drink or inject OUR products'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/coronavirus/lysol-manufacturer-warns-against-internal-use-after-trump-comments/ar-BB138M2i?li=BBnb7Kz

So you need to use a generic brand