Ham_

Corona Virus vs WotLabs Community Megathread

Yay, we bought 7 milions masks and they are all useless because of lack of certificates. I love my country. 

Also it's nice to see how they fight with democracy instead of the virus. Maybe it's time for me to answer ancestor's call and start drinking vodka :Blyatman:

Australia had most of our cases being imported. A few outbreaks but contact tracing got those sorted pretty quick. Talk of second waves and such and hard to tell how long isolation measures will last.

30 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Australia had most of our cases being imported. A few outbreaks but contact tracing got those sorted pretty quick. Talk of second waves and such and hard to tell how long isolation measures will last.

Yeah, you guys are kinda sorta close to ground zero for the whole thing.

Recently I saw a map that showed that NYC has about a third of the US cases, while another third is in a small ring around NYC - NJ, Rhode Island, Connecticut, etc.  The remaining third is the rest of the goddamn country.

And apparently, NY's infections generally came from Europe, not from the west coast of the U.S., according to genetic studies of the virus.  It entered the US in NYC via Europe, then mostly spread to the rest of the country; most of the US's cases come China->Europe->NYC-rest of the country, not China->US West Coast->rest of the country.

Also, apparently the statistics are showing that some 60%-70% of the fatalities are in nursing homes.

Given recent findings that open-air transmission odds are extremely low, it seems we've gone about this all wrong.  We've imposed draconian and economically catastrophic rules on society at large, while failing utterly to protect our most vulnerable people.

I never expected the "lockdown" to be this long.  I thought the initial plan was to slow the spread to allow a build up of infrastructure, supplies and testing.

We as a nation have basically failed on ALL FRONTS. 

We have tests that don't work.

We really have NO FUCKING CLUE how many people (Nationally or Worldwide) have been killed directly or indirectly by the virus.

We have a leader that is a fucking MORON (ie:  It will magically disappear, drink bleach and I'm taking a drug that 100k person clinical trial shows is ineffective).

It may not be ALL Trump's fault.  But I'm pretty sure an untrained baboon could have done the same amount of damage.

My only hope from this event is that scientist figure out what to do when the next one hits.  Figure out what worked and what didn't work.  FUND THE FUCKING WHO.  Fund a fucking US based Pandemic unit. etc.

GL guys and gals

21 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Given recent findings that open-air transmission odds are extremely low, it seems we've gone about this all wrong.

Do you have a citation for this?  I only ask because most literature suggests we still do not know yet.

The likelihood of airborne transmission—especially compared with other routes, such as droplets or surfaces—remains unclear. Most researchers still think the new coronavirus is primarily spread via droplets and touching infected people or surfaces. So diligent hand washing and social distancing are still the most important measures people can take to avoid infection.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-coronavirus-spreads-through-the-air-what-we-know-so-far1/

We've imposed draconian and economically catastrophic rules on society at large,

The correct level of response is certainly debatable, and very easy to critique in hindsight.  However, it is indisputable that differences in the national and regional "draconian" approaches have had significant and different outcomes.

while failing utterly to protect our most vulnerable people.

This is so true.  However, we must remember this was/is a pre-existing condition and Covid-19 just highlighted a decades old problem. 

48 minutes ago, NightmareMk9 said:

Is this really necessary?  Will it be at the bottom of every menu in the country for the next decade?

rHK9sKw.jpg

We're going to see that until the government passes a law - or a court makes a strong ruling - that DUH a business cannot be held responsible for your contracting an airborne virus from other patrons.

1 hour ago, 8_Hussars said:

Do you have a citation for this?  I only ask because most literature suggests we still do not know yet.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-coronavirus-spreads-through-the-air-what-we-know-so-far1/

The correct level of response is certainly debatable, and very easy to critique in hindsight.  However, it is indisputable that differences in the national and regional "draconian" approaches have had significant and different outcomes.

This is so true.  However, we must remember this was/is a pre-existing condition and Covid-19 just highlighted a decades old problem. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/risk-of-coronavirus-transmission-lower-outdoors-evidence-2020-5

Being outdoors isn't a silver bullet; I wouldn't want to go to an outdoor concert and stand shoulder to shoulder with people.  But it seriously reduces the odds compared to being cooped up in a confined space.

As for regional variations, they seem largely to come from overall lifestyle.  1/3 or so of cases in the US are in NYC, while another third are in a ring around NYC in SE NY, Rhode Island, Connecticut, etc.; the rest of the country comprises the remaning third.  This is to be expected given the closer living in those areas and the greater use of cramped public transport.

Also, nursing homes account for a drastically high percentage of deaths from the virus:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2020/05/26/nursing-homes-assisted-living-facilities-0-6-of-the-u-s-population-43-of-u-s-covid-19-deaths/#5ac33e8e74cd

I mean, the flu always hits older people harder than it does younger people, but not this bad, from what I've read.

I think we'd have done much better not to have shut down businesses for the most part, but quarantine anybody confirmed to be infected, leave everybody else alone, and take extra precautions with older folks, especially those in nursing homes.  Rules requiring masks be worn indoors in crowded businesses are a wise rule.

Instead what we've done is we have cities like Chicago where the mayor gets on TV and threatens to have people arrested if they leave home without permission, we've shut down tons of businesses, driving unemployment through the roof and causing businesses to fail, but we've put known infected old people back into nursing homes, with the result:

And now we have a situation where masks have become politicized.  Some refuse to wear them at all because they've lost trust in expert advice waffling on the issue and governors using ham-fisted methods, while other people (Karens) shout at people not wearing them outdoors taking a walk and not near anybody else.  Everybody's too willing to listen to conspiracy theories, from the people saying the virus is a hoax, to the people saying that people are intentionally trying to infect people in black communities in order to reduce their numbers.

A more restrained, intelligent set of measures would have gone a long way to preventing this overheated situation, and the iron fist used in some areas didn't even protect the most vulnerable.

Insanity.

A month later and the same old shit.  Just when it seems like things are going in the right direction we are back under more restrictions.

I'm no CDC Expert but I read these graphs and I DON'T SEE ANY SPIKE.

Someone show me the SPIKE. 

ybIoHAo.jpgM3hSGdI.jpg

Also, I found this WEIRD pattern on the Deaths Graph,  apparently no one wants to die on Sunday or Monday.  Red Arrows mark all the Sundays.

BNSsW2A.jpg

The spike is nationwide, it varies from place to place. I've been checking NYT daily because they have a (non-paywall) huge, consolidated data page they update constantly that even shows you hot spots and places of decline.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

It's been a little different than I expected; I pictured it flatlining for a while and then gradually going back up, instead it flatlined for a while but then spiked hard core, nearly as steeply as the first time.

The weekly cycle just has to do with reporting. Something about they don't report it until they actually get tests back from labs, so there's a spike on Monday or something.

It's just like I said, Americans are bored of it now. For all practical purposes it's uncontainable given the lack of fucks given by too many people. Imagine being elderly and realizing how little any one cares about you.

37 minutes ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

It's just like I said, Americans are bored of it now. For all practical purposes it's uncontainable given the lack of fucks given by too many people. Imagine being elderly and realizing how little any one cares about you.

Au is starting to see a second spike in one state at least. As you note, people get bored of caring and revert to selfishness. And yeah, the weekly cycle relates to testing. A similar graph would be how many tests were conducted each day.

Fk. But hey your economy's all aces right. Not even sure how to react to horrible shit like that. Believe that things can be better.