Ham_

Corona Virus vs WotLabs Community Megathread

Things are starting to get concerning over the pond in Aus.

My Uni has a 'plan' to deal with off-campus learning in the likely inevitible case that the campus closes that we are not privy of.

Not sure how i can do my thesis without the campus or do exams but who knows. 

Also, Arsenal and Chelsea first teams all under isolation because of arteta and cho tested positive. 

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

People going and buying out TP and hand sanitizer like retards.

What is with this world wide phenomenon of buying TP? Its everywhere. WHY? Do people live day by day with their toilet paper? Do they not have napkins or some shitty old magazine they can use after they run out?

4 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

masks-2.pngMask use

We find this ridiculous. :triggered:

One of the reason we are now able to work like normally is because everybody and their dogs wearing a mask outside, few stores will block you from entry if you are not wearing one, with good reasons.

Mask is a preventive measure for all people, the virus spreads through droplets (mostly) and has a max 14 days incubation (we had a case where an infected person only showed symptoms 7 days after a 14 day quarantine, so 21 days). More importantly the virus can be spread during incubation period, no symptoms shown. One could have spread to the whole family or workplace without even knowing. Wearing a mask whenever face to face contact is essential, even more so for high population density locations.

2 hours ago, echo9835 said:

What is with this world wide phenomenon of buying TP? Its everywhere. WHY? Do people live day by day with their toilet paper? Do they not have napkins or some shitty old magazine they can use after they run out?

Social media profit campaign hits it right where it hurts. It started off a month or two ago when we were panic stocking food and supplies in fear of a logistics lockdown, plus it was during CNY, a lot of Asian countries had their logistics chain stopped. It was at that time people calculated how fast we can consume a bogroll, then it went the rush. Funnily enough, the Chinese like doing these sort of rushes more than anybody on the planet (if you are from the US you might have known the bagged rice rush) and spread this trend of rushing things worldwide. Not show why residence of other nation follows but the Chinese do it do one thing, re-sale for profit. This happened to masks, hand-sanitisers, cleaning consumables...

An interesting note, during our bogroll rush, an old bloke decided to stock few piles of bogrolls and took a proud photo of it, with himself. None were sold, because it is made in Hubei.:sealofapproval:

In Poland is (not) good at all. Only about 50 cases but our goverment is NOT willing to do more virus tests unless someone already has symptoms. Schools are closed but churches are not and prime minister doesn't care. 

In my region is calm so far. 

Sitrep from Croatia: from next week there are no classes in schools and unis, kindergartens  are also closed. I have a doctor friend who is dealing with corona, and the number of ill is actually quite higher that our government reports every day. So to top it all, we have  a cover up (china style, lmao). People are losing their shit. In the supermarkets there are leftovers of milk, eggs, rice, oil, toilet paper etc.

Economy is fucked up also: my company particularly since our main resource is imported from Italy. Production will be stopped in the upcoming week.

On 3/12/2020 at 5:03 PM, Istanbultaye said:

They want to catch the Avian Flu instead of Coronavirus.

Maybe the avian flu kills the coronavirus? You never know

To everyone talking about panic. Yeah people got stupid but closing down most places is not a bad idea. This medium post really sums up everything really well:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca?fbclid=IwAR0YG5PWcNzDR5jaKmzEDtQsozd9Gtp_KrfzfXSdbcozQ7fqjTRkcyzOk_4

6 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

In Poland is (not) good at all. Only about 50 cases but our goverment is NOT willing to do more virus tests unless someone already has symptoms. Schools are closed but churches are not and prime minister doesn't care. 

In my region is calm so far. 

A man in front of me in a pharmacy (buying my adhd meds not going crazy) bought 400pln of aspirin. The idiot doesn't know you can't legally sell it online (or he can't).

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

Maybe the avian flu kills the coronavirus? You never know

To everyone talking about panic. Yeah people got stupid but closing down most places is not a bad idea. This medium post really sums up everything really well:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca?fbclid=IwAR0YG5PWcNzDR5jaKmzEDtQsozd9Gtp_KrfzfXSdbcozQ7fqjTRkcyzOk_4

I am real glad that somebody finally realise the shit, lovely charts, stats doesn't lie. :sealofapproval:

Will share the link to the others.

The only reason the whole thing is even remotely scary is because we all know someone that is old with respitory issues. Otherwise I couldn't care less about a virus with 2% mortality rate. The fact that it spreads easily is fake news too. If that was the case in a country of 11 mil there wouldn't only be 100 cases. 

People are treating this like its the second coming of AIDS and only hand sanitizer soaked toilet paper talismans around their necks will protect them.

it's the fucking flu.

We get a new variant every few years or so, Swine, Bird/Avian etc. It's only a lethal threat if you're immuno-compromised.

16 minutes ago, Wanderjar said:

People are treating this like its the second coming of AIDS and only hand sanitizer soaked toilet paper talismans around their necks will protect them.

it's the fucking flu.

We get a new variant every few years or so, Swine, Bird/Avian etc. It's only a lethal threat if you're immuno-compromised.

It's got a higher lung infection rate than the flu has. The issues is mainly overburdening hospitals. In Belgium with a population of 11,5 million, we only have 1600 intensive care beds (and that's apparently high average for a Western country). With a virus that sends around 10% to the hospital with pneumonia (and that can come quick, I had it myself from a stupid cold in 2015) you only need around 30000 infected to risk the collapse of your health care. We're now at 600 confirmed, and probably a multitude carrier and unaware.

While some measures and reaction maybe panicky, in general any measures to prevent the exponential spread of the virus appear to be very much needed.

And the US has another layer of worry there. Here it maybe costs you 2000-3000 EUR to spend two weeks in hospital, because of strong social security. An unforeseen cost, but unlikely to bankrupt many.

I'll agree pneumonia sucks and isn't easy to get over. I've never had it but friends did. bleh.

There 2 things to do. slow the spread (you cant stop it) and increase hygiene as you would during a normal flu season. Here in the US its not a normal flu season but lots of colds etc from the weather changes.

the west needs to learn from the SARS and bird flu experiences the Asian countries have and adapt. (they wont. piecemeal solutions never stopped anything)

it's still the Flu. its about as virulent as 'normal' flu is. SO FAR it appears to not reinfect but the year is young.

I do feel bad for anyone that has to be hospitalized with breathing treatments. those suck. and are expensive. (esp in the US)

Man, I wish this was just the flu, but the situation is really bad. Here in Italy doctors are having to choose who to treat because there just isn't enough capacity for everyone. They're basically having to choose who lives and who dies. And Italy has an advanced health care system.

Imagine what less developed countries will go through once this thing really digs in. We've seen nothing yet.

1 hour ago, kariverson said:

The only reason the whole thing is even remotely scary is because we all know someone that is old with respitory issues. Otherwise I couldn't care less about a virus with 2% mortality rate. The fact that it spreads easily is fake news too. If that was the case in a country of 11 mil there wouldn't only be 100 cases. 

You are simplifying it. First of all there are younger people with respiratory issues or simply your body may have a weak immune system. Hell in some cases you are unlucky and you don't even know your immune system is compromised for example due to stress or chronic lack of sleep.

Also the 2% mortality rate isn't really true. The mortality rate will vary depending on how much we flatten the curve. Too many people go to hospitals at once and doctors have to chose who gets the ventilator and who dies. This is why some countries have very high mortality rates at 3-4% and some are <1%.

1 hour ago, Wanderjar said:

it's the fucking flu.

I was saying that but no its not. I get that it's annoying people are building forts out of toilet paper but that doesn't change the facts. It's spreading faster than Swine and Bird Flu. Way bigger toll than Sars even though that had a higher mortality rate (the disease hitting people hard made it harder to spread since few people got undetected)

Also "it's a fucking flu" ignores we had 3 flu pandemics in XX century with 1m+ deaths.

1 hour ago, Private_Miros said:

It's got a higher lung infection rate than the flu has. The issues is mainly overburdening hospitals. In Belgium with a population of 11,5 million, we only have 1600 intensive care beds (and that's apparently high average for a Western country). With a virus that sends around 10% to the hospital with pneumonia (and that can come quick, I had it myself from a stupid cold in 2015) you only need around 30000 infected to risk the collapse of your health care. We're now at 600 confirmed, and probably a multitude carrier and unaware.

While some measures and reaction maybe panicky, in general any measures to prevent the exponential spread of the virus appear to be very much needed.

And the US has another layer of worry there. Here it maybe costs you 2000-3000 EUR to spend two weeks in hospital, because of strong social security. An unforeseen cost, but unlikely to bankrupt many.

Wait you don't have public healthcare? 

Also I just came out of pneumonia. Early Jan. Good thing it wasn't later as I'd be quarantined to shit.

19 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

Wait you don't have public healthcare? 

What do you mean? The cost for being in hospital? It's only 70-80% covered. Though hospital insurance is available and most have it though work.

Keep calling it a basic flu, hope you are happy if you end up with any of these complications seen in nCov19 patients; Cytokine Storm Syndrome (most common in 18-25 year olds and main driver of Spanish Flu mortality), Encephalitis and CNS damage. Similar to SARS, nCov19 is capable of attacking the nervous system resulting in involuntary movement of muscles, loss of consciousness and convulsions. CNS damage can often be irreversible. Similarly a sizeable portion of patients who have recovered have moderate to severe damage to lung tissues inducing pain and difficulty breathing, (can be permanent, this is known from our understanding of pneumonia).

Most of these can be treated fairly well in modern times, but if there is a healthcare system collapse where people aren't able to receive treatment for something like Cytokine Storm? Good fucking luck

well thats new at least. similar to the 1918 flu pandemic as well

I already have CNS damage from issues in iraq so I probably wont notice unless someone tells me. (a side bonus I cant feel heat now. i can do fun tricks with lighters)

2 hours ago, Wanderjar said:

I'll agree pneumonia sucks and isn't easy to get over. I've never had it but friends did. bleh.

There 2 things to do. slow the spread (you cant stop it) and increase hygiene as you would during a normal flu season. Here in the US its not a normal flu season but lots of colds etc from the weather changes.

the west needs to learn from the SARS and bird flu experiences the Asian countries have and adapt. (they wont. piecemeal solutions never stopped anything)

it's still the Flu. its about as virulent as 'normal' flu is. SO FAR it appears to not reinfect but the year is young.

I do feel bad for anyone that has to be hospitalized with breathing treatments. those suck. and are expensive. (esp in the US)

You are aware just how fast pneumonia will kill anyone infected without timely medical treatment. (Hint it is hours/days not weeks)

When the outbreak exceeds the capability of the local medical teams to treat the death rate will spike _very_ quickly (Look at Hubei and Italy during early peaks)

With an r0 of ~1.5 - 2.5, incubation period of 2 - 14 days (average of 7) and a death rate of ~3.5% (which can spike to 6.5% (Italy & Hubai) with a theoretical cap of ~11% in the absence of a healthcare system (Looking at most of Africa)) This is actually a very serious outbreak and anyone that says otherwise is (IMO) ignorant of the facts.

Also, We already have two independent strains that it appears (early indications) that you can get infected with both.

Here's some real talk guys. No one really knows how far this thing will go. The media is hyping it, yes, but the fact is this sucker is capable of spreading way easier than most infections. You can carry it without symptoms, which means it's entirely possible it will infiltrate like a mother fucker-that's the real game changer. They don't know how deadly it is because they don't even know who all has it. Right now you there are literally hundreds of people in the U.S. wandering around spreading it without any knowledge they have it. As far as I know this is without precedent; I don't know of any other lethally serious infection with camo net technology. Even genuinely scary shit like Ebola is far more containable because when your face melts off it's pretty obvious a handshake is probably not a great idea, and because people take it seriously.

The key here is all the unknowns. If it were a math equation the number of deaths would be D=abcxyz. It could fizzle out in a month, it could drag on for a year slowly killing, it could spike and fade, spike and fade for months on end. In terms of seriousness, the range is wide open from blip on the radar to world changing event. But the bottom line is you have a choice: take it deadly seriously and hurt your economy, or downplay it and risk an explosion that could potentially kill a shit ton of people and hurt the economy far worse for a lot longer. The U.S., which is now a living cautionary tale, is doing the latter and rolling the dice. It's all fun and games until you kill grandma.

1 hour ago, simba90 said:

Also, We already have two independent strains that it appears (early indications) that you can get infected with both. 

A further question that needs to be answered.  Can you get it again, or is it one and done.

2 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

A further question that needs to be answered.  Can you get it again, or is it one and done.

Not clear at the moment. There were some reports in Wuhan back in Feb of possible re-infection, but not confirmed if I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, Balthazars said:

Not clear at the moment. There were some reports in Wuhan back in Feb of possible re-infection, but not confirmed if I recall correctly.

No confirmed cases of reinfection outside of Hubei as far as I know.

But should definitely worry about post-infection effect. Permanently weakened lungs is possible. Also aforementioned CNS damage, it goes anywhere it wanted and do damage on its way, and tends to use other illnesses to its advantage. A 25 year old back in Feb first caught Influenza A, and then caught nCoV, severe. 

7 hours ago, simba90 said:

You are aware just how fast pneumonia will kill anyone infected without timely medical treatment. (Hint it is hours/days not weeks)

When the outbreak exceeds the capability of the local medical teams to treat the death rate will spike _very_ quickly (Look at Hubei and Italy during early peaks)

With an r0 of ~1.5 - 2.5, incubation period of 2 - 14 days (average of 7)

Incubation period can potentially exceed 14 days, both mainland China and we (HK) have reports only showing symptoms after certain quarantine period. In our case, the person entered our territory and was sent to a 14 day quarantine. 7 days after the quarantine symptoms were shown.

6 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

it's pretty obvious a handshake is probably not a great idea, and because people take it seriously.

As long as you do not touch your mouth, nose, ears, eyes and arsehole (yes seriously), handshake is fine, except both didn’t wear a face cover, masks of what have you. To this day I still have absolutely no idea why people aren’t wearing mask wherever they go, the fastest way this thing spread is clearly through droplets. Speaking creates loads of droplets and can send them at most a metre away.

———————————————————

A lot of comments I have seen from other channels people are upset about events being cancelled as if they didn’t watch news about things has been going for a awhile, albeit not right next to them and straight on to blaming media without even trying to believe the numbers. Who would have thought... It was only when the virus actually hit them hard and proper, events being cancelled booo okay we do something.

It is not hard to take it seriously. The gov didn’t tell us to wear a mask everywhere, nor tell us to buy hand sanitiser and all that, we just did it because with all the information we have,

How infectious it is: Long incubation, no symptoms, plus symptomless infection, estimated 5 million Chinese fled from Wuhan to global, virus can be everywhere every corner, don’t wait for local cases to go up, too late.

How does it infect other people: Droplets, sticking onto surfaces, hand, dont touch the face unless hands are washed at least the thin oil layer is removed. Close the toilet cap when flush, bad toilets have water splash back up. U-pipe needs to be filled with water constantly, do not dry out pipes, high pollution areas virus may stick to heavier particles.

What post-effect it has: Weakened organs depending on where it went during infection.

How long will it stay alive in the wild: As far as I can remember 4 days.

With all these info, Wash hands / hand sanitiser, wet wipe shoes, bags, wear a mask when facing other people, flush the pipe with low concentration cleaner then water. That’s the most of it, these aren’t things that people have to wait for their government to tell them to do, they are responsible for doing those by themselves.

I know western countries have the argument of “Only the sick wears mask”. Our argument was “You don’t fucking know whoever sat next to you was sick or not, even yourself.”

p.s wipe your phone screen occasionally as well, the statics maybe attract little particles with viruses stuck on it.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:59 PM, echo9835 said:

8vydWbJ.jpg

Police car just drove by saying through the megaphone that moving around is illegal without a valid reason, and for us to stay in our homes.

That felt pretty fucking surreal. Like the kind of stuff you only see in movies.