Jump to content
Ham_

Corona Virus vs WotLabs Community Megathread

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Still I don't want to make it too rosy. It's good for people who are not affected economically. Last year I transfered from Movie distribution to TV. My old Company will be inconvenienced but that's all but the marketing agency that serves them is screwed. People with regular non trash, full tax contracts are safe but those who wanted to get lower taxes are screwed and will not be payed for some time. People in service jobs are in really bad positions.

At this point the only thing you can do to try stabilising the economy is to get sort out how to get people back to work, or start thinking about how to make people feeling safe enough to do so. Government services back up after a month of home office, school and universities were shut or switched online since Feb. The result is pretty logical, larger consumption than ever. Masks everywhere, for any reason you don’t have one, respirator, spectacles. Now the only risky locations are restaurants. Even so there will be a grace period where people need to see the number not spiking to feel safe.

A lot of people here long waited an economic quake since the protest but thats not important now.

There is not much that you can do to the economy except being hit by it. Also explain my still jobless status

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

At this point the only thing you can do to try stabilising the economy is to get sort out how to get people back to work, or start thinking about how to make people feeling safe enough to do so. Government services back up after a month of home office, school and universities were shut or switched online since Feb. The result is pretty logical, larger consumption than ever. Masks everywhere, for any reason you don’t have one, respirator, spectacles. Now the only risky locations are restaurants. Even so there will be a grace period where people need to see the number not spiking to feel safe.

A lot of people here long waited an economic quake since the protest but thats not important now.

There is not much that you can do to the economy except being hit by it. Also explain my still jobless status

Restaurants + Travel + Events are all risky and all those industries are hit haaard. Same for cinemas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is basically the perfect stress test to force problems you've neglected to explode in your face. If you do nothing you're going to be ass deep in dead old folks. Whether or not you act quickly the economy is going to tank and recovery relies on the resources you have to fall back on and what kind of leadership you have.

It's going to be interesting to see how hard the U.S. hits the ground. We had every opportunity to prepare for the next big thing and wasted every last cent. The economy is inflated due to unsustainable deficit spending, but it remains to be seen if this triggers a total correction or it just settles down after some moderate losses. Will they throw enough bread to the peasants to stave off the full consequences of hollowing out the middle class for 40 years? Will they double down and tell them to be homeless more quietly? They already slashed interest rates to zero and the market continued to tank. Will Trump realize he can just borrow money and hand it out and no one gives a fuck about debt because that's the next generation's problem? Will he fuck up and say the word "default" a single time and turn a global recession into a depression? If I wasn't so fucked personally this would all be a fascinating drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well on that note Trump & co are talking about a US stimulus package of about $1000 to every adult right now. we'll see if that passes or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok news  from Italy. The situation is steadily getting worse as it is spreading even more to the center and southern part of Italy. Apparently the virus is starting to attack even fit middle aged adults  and also young adults with no other illness or comorbidity. 

The ICUs are packed with people so many wards and ORs have been turned into ICUs. However now the virus is spreading even to the doctors and nurses, cutting the already limited hospitals staffs. In the meanwhile, over 300 people have died TODAY, although experts believe that the virus is slowing down due to the drastic measures taken by the government.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NZ confirmed cases up to 20 as of today. Gatherings of 500+ people are banned, most big events have been cancelled or postponed, Mandatory 14 day quarantine for every single person coming into NZ from abroad has been instated.

 

People are starting to buy out more than just TP now. Work and school etc are still business as usual now though.

 

However my work is primarily in rest homes/villages, hospitals, and construction sites (of rest homes hospitals) if the rest homes decide to lock down and not let anyone in, we've just lost a major amount of our work. And on some of the larger construction sites, it may end up breaking the limit of people gathering in one place, especially if the government lowers that limit, forcing those sites to shut down too.

So short story, my company could be completely out of work soon if it keeps escalating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

several large cities in the US are limiting public gatherings to less than 50 people at a time. some, like Austin TX, are restricting it to under 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still hear from local news and sources reporting people (from the West) treat those wearing a mask as Spreading fear. Is that the case, looking for first hand info, many thanks.

So far I heard reports from a few European countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK boys, as you may or may not, I'm a doc. And I deal with a large, older, immunosuppressed patient populace. My first patient just showed up in the ICU in serious crap. The hospital leadership just showed us projections of what sort of bed capacity we will need if we follow Italy's trajectory, and it will basically suck up most of the beds and all of the ICU beds/vents for the entire state. As a result, elective surgeries are being canceled across the board, and hospital beds are being cleared to make way for the expected surge. 

THIS IS NOT A DRILL, and is far from the flu. We need to learn from what happened in Italy: 20% of the healthcare workforce got ill from taking care of COVID-19 patients, and it left people who didn't have direct ICU/pulmonary expertise (like me) to manage ventilators. We can muddle along, but it's like asking an arty main to play an EBR. Sure it's the same game, but kinda sorta. Furthermore, Northern Italy just ran out of beds and ICU/vents, which led to docs having to decide whom to let die. I don't know about you, but I'm not comfortable making that choice for anyone. I'll make it when it comes to it, because that is part of my training, but its not an easy choice.

The US meanwhile, is about 12 days behind Italy, and our infection curve is exponential. We got 1000 new cases in the last 24 hrs. And that's just the ones who've tested positive.

Stay safe folks, hunker down, flatten the curve. Shit's getting real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sr360 said:

 We can muddle along, but it's like asking an arty main to play an EBR.

Ah yes, asking cancer to be AIDS /s

Stay safe man and don't lick your patients!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the problem with public buying out masks— we are literally canceling surgeries because we don’t have enough masks. Seriously. Hospitals across the US have canceled non urgent surgery to not deplete PPE stocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, sr360 said:

Here’s the problem with public buying out masks— we are literally canceling surgeries because we don’t have enough masks. Seriously. Hospitals across the US have canceled non urgent surgery to not deplete PPE stocks.

Because we the Asians bought a lot of in late Janurary and Feburary... :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Just fyi incase anyone hasnt seen it, the US allegedly now has free coronavirus testing for all american citizens regardless of healthcare/insurance etc

Sure. Every one want a new car? Cause I'll write that on a napkin and then every one gets a new car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, simba90 said:

And finally NZ closes our borders. We might yet get through this relatively unscathed.

came back in here to post this. 

literally 2-3 weeks too late. we shoulda done it ages ago, before the first case even came in. :-/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

came back in here to post this. 

literally 2-3 weeks too late. we shoulda done it ages ago, before the first case even came in. :-/

Yeah, I might be overly optimistic. But it seems that we might be taking the same approach as South Korea and starting to test everyone close regardless of symptoms. This has shown to work remarkably well over there and also in Taiwan. Just look at the numbers in SK vs everywhere in Europe. Those outbreaks all started at similar times.

Fingers crossed I guess and keep an eye on the numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

came back in here to post this. 

literally 2-3 weeks too late. we shoulda done it ages ago, before the first case even came in. :-/

Virus's don't have passports or respect borders.  Closing borders can help delay the peak but it is by no means a complete solution on its own.  Considering any two airports on earth are accessible by up to a 36 hour plane ride which is obviously much less than the incubation period for most infectious disease.  In fact border controls are quite ineffective at netting the real threat.

However, it does makes people feel "protected" and gets good optics (while doing very little) so there is that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Virus's don't have passports or respect borders.  Closing borders can help delay the peak but it is by no means a complete solution on its own.  Considering any two airports on earth are accessible by up to a 36 hour plane ride which is obviously much less than the incubation period for most infectious disease.  In fact border controls are quite ineffective at netting the real threat.

However, it does makes people feel "protected" and gets good optics (while doing very little) so there is that...

NZ is two Islands in the South pacific. our closest neighbour is Australia which is a 3 hour flight away.

Assuming we had no cases in the first place, closing our borders to ALL non NZ residents, and properly quarantining the relatively low number of residents coming back home from abroad as they are currently allowed to do before all passenger air traffic is halted which is currently planned, would be pretty effective in assuring we would never get any cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

NZ is two Islands in the South pacific. our closest neighbour is Australia which is a 3 hour flight away.

Assuming we had no cases in the first place, closing our borders to ALL non NZ residents, and properly quarantining the relatively low number of residents coming back home from abroad as they are currently allowed to do before all passenger air traffic is halted which is currently planned, would be pretty effective in assuring we would never get any cases.

HK had over 20 cases per day for the last two day, since flight carrying oversea residences landed.

We dont have places for that amount of people to quarantine, thus rely on their self-discipline during self-isolation, which never worked as just 1 naughty chap is enough for the virus.

It only really works if they are sent somewhere well guarded to have their quarantine, like Japan and Aussie used to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...