Ham_

Corona Virus vs WotLabs Community Megathread

9 minutes ago, MetGreDKo said:

Yup.

Yeah, I have a brother and sister in law living in Hoboken.  He works in TV news up there and she works at an art gallery.  She isn't working right now, obviously, but he has to go in now and then since he's in management.

NYC is the worst case scenario for this in the country; a city of 8 million that's largely reliant on people crammed into metal tubes for transportation, buses, trains, and subways.

19 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Yeah, I have a brother and sister in law living in Hoboken.  He works in TV news up there and she works at an art gallery.  She isn't working right now, obviously, but he has to go in now and then since he's in management.

NYC is the worst case scenario for this in the country; a city of 8 million that's largely reliant on people crammed into metal tubes for transportation, buses, trains, and subways.

Buses and subway are largely empty. Going to and from work I hardly ever see more than half a dozen other people. Buses are boarding people through the back doors and not taking fares to protect drivers.

I suspect the shut down on other things is helping but not enough. There were 3 days in which 911 calls related to Coronavirus stagnated then resumed their climb again. Too early to tell though and there's a number of things I can think of as to why the number of calls may not be particularly telling of anything.

3 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

If pets were a reliable and dangerous vector; it would have been communicated back in January/February.

Wrong side of the question.

The point of asking being, is close contact with types of animals far riskier than before, both for the pets (or may not be pets) and the owner. Pets can be infected and had died to the virus, cases local, earlier March. There won’t be relevant data until both owner and pet(s) are hit and both were forcibly tested for viruses containment. i.e. owners can’t even tell what symptoms are on different animals, let alone sending them for tests if they aren’t too big.

How would animals be infected will be different from how humans would, we don’t have a thick layer of fur trapping viruses and we don’t necessarily lick ourselves. Viruses on animals is a different sector and certainly worth knowing.

6 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Unfortunately, this is the case for almost all major news agencies right now.  China - and I apologize ahead of time if this gets too political, my intent is not to step on anybody's toes - China is not to be touched or criticized.  You can see this in the current demand, which happened practically overnight, that we must never refer to this virus as "the Wuhan virus."  Clearly, as with all past such diseases (Spanish flu, German measles, Ebola, Lyme disease, etc.) people don't call it the "Wuhan virus" to sneer at people from Wuhan, who clearly didn't cook the virus up for fun, it's done simply because the disease started there or (in the case of Spanish flu) because historical accident associated it with that place.  Ebola is a river in Africa, Lyme is a town in Connecticut, and so forth.

If you could read both TChinese and SChinese you will see countless number of threads debunking their fake reports, for example, China had a few days of “no cases”, reported by media, global. In truth it was them ran out of effective testing equipment, and once again. There is no cases if you don’t test it.:minidoge:

Another example would be BBC and other mainstream media talked about our gov’s measurements. Which they will tell you there is a 14 day home quarantine period for all boarder entries, wristband for “tracking”, and now upgraded to an alarm sounding wristband with mobile tracking app associated with it. What they -forgot- to tell you is, the old wristband only has a QRcode on it, scissor it and off you go buying McDonalds or sth. The “upgraded” wristband used on returning residences from Hubei, however, they say app cannot be installed as they do not have google playstore (banned in mainland obviously), to which any Android person would tell you an apk will do. So now they upgraded the wristband via adding an alarm which sounds by an app installed through a Playstore that they don’t need.:serb:

I will not go into US politics because we have our ways to establish who sides to China and who doesn’t, should not be brought into this thread. The biggest problem we had is a lot of countries residences are not treating global news and unofficial channels seriously, if not denying it straight. It is particular hard for us to bring what we know to the others, we work through social media, forums and all those outsiders view as rumours (even when we have strong enough evidences and data backing up). More often ignoring, as we see in this corona thing, we wouldn’t mind upsetting people, we warned, ignored, it went. It is not a Western racism thing, Japanese are like that, South Koreans are like that, Singaporean are like that, just in general. Reading local news and happenings from oversea media, going back and forth a few times gives a good indication of how skewed things are.

15 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

people don't call it the "Wuhan virus" to sneer at people from Wuhan, who clearly didn't cook the virus up for fun, it's done simply because the disease started there or (in the case of Spanish flu) because historical accident associated it with that place.  Ebola is a river in Africa, Lyme is a town in Connecticut, and so forth.

Just to clarify, the standard practice used to typically be to identify the virus in respects to the location in which it was first identified as a specific, unique strain (typically where it makes the jump to humans for the first time). Or of course sometimes the person that identified it. This is of course useful in some contexts because it easily identifies particular strains of a virus in a very specific context as opposed to relying on its scientific name, given those can be very similar for some types of viruses, and let's face it, a lot of people get confused by those complex-sounding (and often long-winded) scientific names.

However, for political correctness reasons, the WHO has been trying to move away from that type of naming conventions for some time now, hence things like H1N1 instead of 'bird flu' and SARS instead of 'Guandong virus' (which is where it was first identified).

It is also for purely political and propaganda reasons that some elements try to rename it into the Chinese virus or the Wuhan virus at this point. That is different than for viruses which historically did take a typonym which became commonly known. Here Coronavirus and Covid-19 became known widespread first.

Pointing a finger at China here only has political goals. Don't forget that, even if "it's logical because the virus came from China".

You need to be a flu to get your home town included. You get a colour if you're a cool kid plague tho.

1 hour ago, Private_Miros said:

It is also for purely political and propaganda reasons that some elements try to rename it into the Chinese virus or the Wuhan virus at this point. That is different than for viruses which historically did take a typonym which became commonly known. Here Coronavirus and Covid-19 became known widespread first.

Pointing a finger at China here only has political goals. Don't forget that, even if "it's logical because the virus came from China".

I'd say it has gained a political reason to call it that, as people resist having people try to frown at them until they change their speech for no real reason, but people were calling it that before anybody ever made an issue of it.  While yes, there's a political element of wanting to remind people that the CCP lied for months about the virus, the root of it is simply that calling a disease by an original or early location of outbreak is a common trend.  Nobody in the world complains about the name of Lyme disease.

49 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Should probably rename the 2009 swine flu as American pig flu then I guess.

If I found out it was called that in some other countries, it certainly wouldn't bother me.  Apparently it was first diagnosed in two American kids in San Diego County and Imperial County, California, but the theory is apparently it originated in Mexico and traveled around from person to person the first diagnoses.

Certainly if it had been called the American flu in Portugal or Nigeria or Vietnam or something it wouldn't bother me at all.  No reason to go looking for things to take offense at.

30 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

So what would we call Ebola and HIV/AIDS?

HIV isn't named after a place, though.

27 minutes ago, Ezz said:

You need to be a flu to get your home town included. You get a colour if you're a cool kid plague tho.

Thank God we have this survival shelter, Edith.  The Chartreuse Plague is sweeping through society and all the Pollyannas are sorry now!

14 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I'd say it has gained a political reason to call it that, as people resist having people try to frown at them until they change their speech for no real reason, but people were calling it that before anybody ever made an issue of it.  While yes, there's a political element of wanting to remind people that the CCP lied for months about the virus, the root of it is simply that calling a disease by an original or early location of outbreak is a common trend.  Nobody in the world complains about the name of Lyme disease.

Lyme didn't start out at something called otherwise.

Don't confuse a value statement of the China PR government with a clear political propaganda move. People weren't calling this Chinese virus or flue before some orange dude manually crossed out part of his speech notes. Pot, kettle, in term of regime policies from an outside perspective.

All this does is give us that play on asian servers in online games another string in the bow to fire at Chinese mainlanders.

We have got to amuse ourselves somehow while they ruin the game. 

20 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Ah yes nobody expects the Spanish Flu. 

pPlqlvP.jpg

14 minutes ago, Private_Miros said:

Lyme didn't start out at something called otherwise.

Don't confuse a value statement of the China PR government with a clear political propaganda move. People weren't calling this Chinese virus or flue before some orange dude manually crossed out part of his speech notes. Pot, kettle, in term of regime policies from an outside perspective.

On the contrary, I heard it called the Wuhan virus and Kung Flu before Trump ever really mentioned it.

Also, pot kettle?  Come on.  We don't have a million people herded into a work camp because of their religion, we aren't selling organs from prisoners.

Of course people are going to come up with a slang name for a virus this widespread.  It certainly didn't come from Trump.

13 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

All this does is give us that play on asian servers in online games another string in the bow to fire at Chinese mainlanders.

We have got to amuse ourselves somehow while they ruin the game. 

Wait, Chinese mainlanders are managing to play on the SEA server?  I thought they were allowed only to play on the China server?

24 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

On the contrary, I heard it called the Wuhan virus and Kung Flu before Trump ever really mentioned it.

Also, pot kettle?  Come on.  We don't have a million people herded into a work camp because of their religion, we aren't selling organs from prisoners.

Of course people are going to come up with a slang name for a virus this widespread.  It certainly didn't come from Trump.

Yeah, so I did say that's not a value statement of the China PR government.

And even the worst valuation there doesn't warrant adopting aggressive political propaganda stances.

There's a difference between slang and jokes and official statements with a clear accusatory intent.

Don't be naive and consider Western governments above the same strategies as those we tend to look down upon was all I'm saying.

On a side note there, most countries, including China, including the US, significantly tried to downplay the outbreak, even after it was too late.

Our graphs started to flatten and now spiked again.

36 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

I was under the impression that the flatlining graphs was due to a lack of testing kit supply than downplaying the outbreak

Well the graphs on intensive care and deaths, not the infections. The latter are skewed from the start.

1 hour ago, Private_Miros said:

Yeah, so I did say that's not a value statement of the China PR government.

And even the worst valuation there doesn't warrant adopting aggressive political propaganda stances.

There's a difference between slang and jokes and official statements with a clear accusatory intent.

Don't be naive and consider Western governments above the same strategies as those we tend to look down upon was all I'm saying.

On a side note there, most countries, including China, including the US, significantly tried to downplay the outbreak, even after it was too late.

Our graphs started to flatten and now spiked again.

Certainly there were statements that reflected a lack of understanding of the potential; that's happened in many countries.  I'm referring to the active attempt to hide the existence of the outbreak to begin with.

9 minutes ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

My city finally instituted a stay at home order for all non-essential businesses.

80% of the businesses are "essential".

We're all gonna die.

To play devil's advocate for a moment, it seems like a major factor is gonna be the size of the businesses in question and how many people enter at once, and how densely they're packed.  I went by the comics shop last night and they had a sign on the door saying only 5 in at a time; apart from the 2 employees, there was only me and one other person.  I don't think that's a huge exposure issues.

I'd hazard a guess that a strong vector for the disease is gonna be one of the few stores they simply can't close, even during the proverbial zombie plague outbreak: grocery stores.  They often get busy and can be fairly densely packed.  People handle carts and baskets continually, so the employees are literally standing in the lobby using spray disinfectant on the handle of carts before handing them to customers.  I actually wear a mask any time I go into a grocery store.

Also, because people took a sensible precaution too far and made a run on toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and bread, the stores are overdoing the limits - I saw a limit of one loaf of bread per visit.  Sounds sensible, but a family of five can burn through a loaf in a couple days, so so much for the attempt to reduce your trips to the grocery store by buying in bulk.

TL,DR: wear a mask to the grocery store and wash your hands afterward.  Don't worry much about the small businesses like a brake shop or comics shop or a bank lobby.  Take precautions when you're out for necessities at the grocery store or Wal--Mart.

3 hours ago, Private_Miros said:

Here Coronavirus and Covid-19 became known widespread first. 

Actually, we've been calling it the Wuhan virus way back in January before the official names were set.

It's a virus, it started in Wuhan. Even people in mainland China called it the Wuhan virus and they still do despite all the political correctness.

48 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Actually, we've been calling it the Wuhan virus way back in January before the official names were set.

It's a virus, it started in Wuhan. Even people in mainland China called it the Wuhan virus and they still do despite all the political correctness.

Yeah, there were a lot of media uses of "Wuhan virus" at the time, then they sort of turned on a dime and started telling everybody not to call it that.  I hate to overuse Orwell, but it was kinda 1984:

Oceania was at war with Eastasia: Oceania had always been at war with
Eastasia.

One day everybody was calling it Wuhan Virus with nothing meant by it except "it came from Wuhan", the media included, then you wake up the next day and everybody's getting their panties bunched over it.

When googling to get the above 1984 quote correct, I ran across a blog that described a very sudden shift in how use of the terms "refugee" and "asylee" changed practically overnight in the media in reference to the Tsarnaev brothers:

https://blog.erratasec.com/2016/02/weve-always-been-at-war-with-eastasia.html#.XnzIFepKi70

China fucked up and tried to cover this up, and now it blew up in their face. Not calling it Wuhan virus isn't avoiding stigma, it's avoiding accountability for China. Fuck for once Trump is right because there 100% needs to be backlash towards the Chinese government for this mess. How many years of diseases derived from eating fucking PANGOLINS and shit and no action was taken? The dangers of the Chinese wild life trade have been described as a time bomb for years and now that we are going into global recession, world leaders are bending over for China? Call it what it is. Fuck me.

In 2015 WHO started moving away from naming things based off regions to avoid stigmatising those regions. In this case Trump was not the first one to use Wuhan or China to name this thing. It also didn't have a political tone of even keeping China accountable. Simply put a name or phrase is easier for people to remember than an abbreviation and a number. SARS is COVID-2. What about COVID-3, 4, 5 and so on? It's easy to get them mixed up and frankly, there have already been times where I got 19 mixed up thinking it was 18. I haven't forgotten it started in Wuhan however. I also don't forget or mix up Spanish Flu, Tanapox, West Nile Virus and so on.