kolni

[FULL - NO NEW ENTRIES] Free Gameplay Reviews (YT with commentary) by Kolni:

Thanks man - going to watch now.

Worth noting (having listened to the first minute so far talking about them tier for tier), that I only got tier 10 games in the Pta, which makes direct comparison between the gameplays of each batch of games easier. I unfortunately didn't get a tier 7-9 game with no arty on Prok :cri:

EDIT:

@kolni, having now watched the video, some answers to your questions/points to note:

• I don't use server reticle - I tend to feather shots more than normal, but that is the client reticle.
  • I have standard equipment on the Pta, and improved rammer on Leo 1. The reload on Pta is 8.38 seconds.
  • The sounds cut out between 25:21 and 26:39. I assume you were talking about deployment on Ruinberg mainly? I'm cautious about that early mid road peak as the last 3 times I've tried that idiot heavies have yolo'd the corner and blapped me. With it being a tier 10 game I didn't want to take the risk.
  • On Kharkov, yeah all the dmg was blind. I know what you mean about obvious bushes but I was almost all behind the house - it is very unusual to get blinded for all your HP. I did get spotted by the 12t but I went dark before the last shot. The Super Conq made it to the trench where he was safe, but as he was moving I got lit by the 12t so couldn't actually pressure him. Still shitty shooting early on though.
  • On Ghost town, I saw the 60TP kinda late, but went as soon as I noticed. That's on me. With the Super Conq, I was mainly afraid of arty, as I would have been the only target to shoot and they'd already followed me half the game blinding me. I got paranoid basically. 

It really looked like a server reticle with the small small cuts moving, like your aimdot was smooth but the reticle wasn't. That's why I wondered. 

Yeah I assumed it was standard, I think it needs improved to be that monster tank to get the reticle smaller and view range up to 470 to really excel at vision games without optics. 

Yeah that's where the copyright strike was, Youtube tried to edit it but failed so they just cut the sound. Yeah I was going through my general gameplan on Ruin I think, not sure. 

Yeah I think it's a good idea to swap bushes after getting blinded once. Good players will notice if the shell hits something as you can still see it behind a bush. I mean they were spamming that bush until you died. Move if you get blinded so you don't get shot again. They knew were you were as they started blinding it right away and never the other bush beside it. 

Yeah I think your decisionmaking is great, The Ghost Town game is really solid decisionmaking wise but if you are looking to improve (raise your damage output) you need to be faster in making the calls on rotations. You are competing against your team too, remember that. Today I watched Delkonix let his flank collapse on Ghost Town so the enemy would be healthier so he could farm more. He did that by going to the other flank where nothing was happening and just waited for his team to fall so he could do more. He won that game, 8k or something in the Type 61. This is an extreme because I don't do stuff like this at all and it's not necessary but you want to deal damage, winning is secondary to that and that means that you don't want your teammates to deal damage if it's damage you can farm on your own. To beat them you need a higher tempo, movement needs to happen earlier in general for you to have a shot at dealing more damage. Many of the games you were farming and the very last shot hit 4k-ish and the game ends. What if you want 5k? In the exact same game you played, you simply need to do the same things but faster. 

Mechanically it's hard to grow from this point where you hit where one would want to hit reliably and is comfortable with movement . A shot fumbled here and there doesn't really matter as long as it's not tilting you in the end, you're always going to make mistakes in game. That's just how it is. I think working on tempo in general and better positoning on Kharkov is what these replays tell me that you should do. Those missed shots could also up your gameplay of course if you were determined on practicing it until they start landing and mistakes don't happen. It's either that or simply being there before your team without killing yourself in the process. Higher tempo means more time to deal with the enemy team. Generally this is being better at cleanup.

1 hour ago, kolni said:

It really looked like a server reticle with the small small cuts moving, like your aimdot was smooth but the reticle wasn't. That's why I wondered. 

Yeah I assumed it was standard, I think it needs improved to be that monster tank to get the reticle smaller and view range up to 470 to really excel at vision games without optics. 

Yeah that's where the copyright strike was, Youtube tried to edit it but failed so they just cut the sound. Yeah I was going through my general gameplan on Ruin I think, not sure. 

Yeah I think it's a good idea to swap bushes after getting blinded once. Good players will notice if the shell hits something as you can still see it behind a bush. I mean they were spamming that bush until you died. Move if you get blinded so you don't get shot again. They knew were you were as they started blinding it right away and never the other bush beside it. 

Yeah I think your decisionmaking is great, The Ghost Town game is really solid decisionmaking wise but if you are looking to improve (raise your damage output) you need to be faster in making the calls on rotations. You are competing against your team too, remember that. Today I watched Delkonix let his flank collapse on Ghost Town so the enemy would be healthier so he could farm more. He did that by going to the other flank where nothing was happening and just waited for his team to fall so he could do more. He won that game, 8k or something in the Type 61. This is an extreme because I don't do stuff like this at all and it's not necessary but you want to deal damage, winning is secondary to that and that means that you don't want your teammates to deal damage if it's damage you can farm on your own. To beat them you need a higher tempo, movement needs to happen earlier in general for you to have a shot at dealing more damage. Many of the games you were farming and the very last shot hit 4k-ish and the game ends. What if you want 5k? In the exact same game you played, you simply need to do the same things but faster. 

Mechanically it's hard to grow from this point where you hit where one would want to hit reliably and is comfortable with movement . A shot fumbled here and there doesn't really matter as long as it's not tilting you in the end, you're always going to make mistakes in game. That's just how it is. I think working on tempo in general and better positoning on Kharkov is what these replays tell me that you should do. Those missed shots could also up your gameplay of course if you were determined on practicing it until they start landing and mistakes don't happen. It's either that or simply being there before your team without killing yourself in the process. Higher tempo means more time to deal with the enemy team. Generally this is being better at cleanup.

Tempo is a great way of putting it. I tried playing faster today in a few Pta games - 3.7k session, but that was with a few games (400 dmg, 1.5k dmg) where I derped out and overextended, so the good games were better than in the sample I sent. I think it's finding that balance between hunting for dmg without dying too quickly. It is fairly hard for me as I'm naturally quite passive/reactive, usually because i tend to remember what went wrong when i tried something in the past rather than the things that went well - I therefore hunt for guaranteed plays as much as I can (low risk, low reward). That i probably fine for the start of the game but mid/late game require more aggression I think.

I'm not sure you'll still be saying my decision making is great on the Leo 1 review. I felt lost a few times in those games.

(still processing, quality isn't this bad) @Snoregasm2

I wasn't on my game recording this. I felt a bit slow in constructing gameplans for you, not really able to to do that until it was too late to do it (hindsight is sort of cheating IMO when it comes to knowing what to do and there's quite a bit of it here). I'm also a bit sick again as I get that from my ADHD meds when I try to be without it (withdrawal basically) on days I have no real reason to take them, so I had a bit trouble with breathing and stuttering and just thinking in general so I say the wrong words some time (wrong tank name, I say grass instead of lake on Live Oaks etc), apologizing for that. I have no idea what the actual fuck was going on with my mic, jesus.

• My initial movements are very different from yours. I think you don't leave yourself with many options after your openings and need to work on thinking "what next?" a bit more when you commit to something. 

• Karelia game is weird because the EBR didn't do what you (or I) expected. I didn't see it early enough but even from your position you could have been rotating into the middle right after he got spotted. I think that's what you needed to do for that game to be better. You probabnly need to go along the water around the hill and cross into it like you would from the other spawn for it to be safe, but with only one TD you run little risk of dying even if the EBR spots you. Even if you take half your HP that move is worth it IMO. Not more as it opens you up to getting pushed and you would only have the WZ TD supporting you, but that position unlocks so much and I think you know that - but I honestly didn't see it as I had to think about what to do from this opening and I guess I either was too focused on the wrong thing to see it or just too slow on it so I don't know how validated that criticism is in this case coming from me. It is the right play but I didn't see it either in real time so can't really fault you for it. 

• Live Oaks - nothing more to add on the game besides doing exactly what you did, but faster IMO. There are bushes within the house area there that let you fire double bushed and spot if you need to. I thought the EBR would spot deeper and dig out the enemy light so I would have played that from the typical snipe spot early to help out with that and establish vision control. I thought the EBR would light the cross as well but he sucked and didn't do shit so going into the houses was probably the right call. This is one of those situations where I made the mistake of thinking a teammate would actually be useful and would get screwed by it. Houses were a better call but there's better spots than the one you used. If you don't know which one I mean I can show you. Shifting focus into the long firing line into city was good, getting FV4005 out opens up so much without risking getting oneshot. I think right after this you can go into the city and mooch more damage off of your teammates on that engagement before it dies. It would result in a quicker mid game translation and you have much better mobility than anything there so your rotation will be faster than your teammates' and the south engagement will not have developed as much. I would go down the lake rim to rotate, if 121b spots you he can't really fight you without you killing him in any shape or form there. He can't spot you from the houses near his base or the arty bowl where he normally should be so you are free to move and use your mobility.

• What is the idea behind the opening on Ghost Town? I don't get what it's supposed to do.

• Is hill really the best option on Himmels encounter? It is where the most damage is going to be, but you have no armour and can't fight many tanks at once, I think there's a better opening that allows you to farm the big engagement without necessarily putting stakes into it. (opens you up to arty on standard however, forgot to mention that)

• Tempo, tempo. tempo.

• Get more comfortable on the PTA before playing the Leo 1 for performance's sake, make sure you have a gameplan on every map that works well. They play identically but Leo 1 just ups the risk/reward more. When you have enough PTA experience and feel comfortable in it on every map is when I would try the Leo 1 again. Try the same things and problem solve when the playing field changes to adjust your gameplan compared to the PTA. (Experience along with being more comfortable playing a faster game is what I think would help you most in tier 10, along with adjusting to the full tier 10 meta which is VERY different)

i am amazed that i didn't realise i was playing at half speed for some of the paris game, but it didn't really impact it much besides me feeling that you were poking slowly when you weren't. (My meds get me kinda weird so things like this just pass me by sometimes)

• You need better opening positions and a gameplan. You generally pick the right area but play it out wrong. There are better spots to use for the same firing line or better firing lines or better map control. 
  • HP management, don't take damage this early. I am amazed at how some of the games worked out for you as they really shouldn't have. It showcases it pretty well that this is your big issue when it comes to trading, you need to look for damage that is easy to farm and free early on. Improve your odds of a good game with free early damage as it simplifies the mid to late if you have the HP to actually play them out. 
  • Decisionmaking is generally good, map aware and you rotate when you know what to do. 
  • You take a little too long figuring what to do out. Shooting for good scores you need to make earlier calls, be more comfortable with less information and more assumptions. 
  • M48 is a mechanically intensive tank and I don't really think you're making full use of the tools it gives you right now. I think this problem goes away with making better openings though. 

@TheTrojanWarrior

3 hours ago, kolni said:

i am amazed that i didn't realise i was playing at half speed for some of the paris game, but it didn't really impact it much besides me feeling that you were poking slowly when you weren't. (My meds get me kinda weird so things like this just pass me by sometimes)

• You need better opening positions and a gameplan. You generally pick the right area but play it out wrong. There are better spots to use for the same firing line or better firing lines or better map control. 
  • HP management, don't take damage this early. I am amazed at how some of the games worked out for you as they really shouldn't have. It showcases it pretty well that this is your big issue when it comes to trading, you need to look for damage that is easy to farm and free early on. Improve your odds of a good game with free early damage as it simplifies the mid to late if you have the HP to actually play them out. 
  • Decisionmaking is generally good, map aware and you rotate when you know what to do. 
  • You take a little too long figuring what to do out. Shooting for good scores you need to make earlier calls, be more comfortable with less information and more assumptions. 
  • M48 is a mechanically intensive tank and I don't really think you're making full use of the tools it gives you right now. I think this problem goes away with making better openings though. 

@TheTrojanWarrior

I think if I had a luck skill in life it would be maxed out. I make bad trades because I am damage hungry and want to get as much as I can in a short time but usually I do this as a cost of throwing HP away for no damage at all.

Before this thread I never heard of "game plan". I usually just go wherever I think I want to do at the time, trying to get early shots which I admit are really risky. You were commenting on the Paris game about how the bush right next to me would've been better. I know about that bush but I'm never comfortable with bush mechanics because I don't use them properly and usually die trying. 

My aim right now is 3K a game and I get frustrated when I don't make that.

With decisiveness and making the call to do something, my clan mates point out that I am really undecisive. I'm afraid of making plays to other sides of different maps because I usually just play that singular side all game. I have very little variation from game to game.

I have to admit also that the M48 Patton until recently was up there with my most hated tier 10 medium in the game.

17 hours ago, kolni said:

(still processing, quality isn't this bad) @Snoregasm2

I wasn't on my game recording this. I felt a bit slow in constructing gameplans for you, not really able to to do that until it was too late to do it (hindsight is sort of cheating IMO when it comes to knowing what to do and there's quite a bit of it here). I'm also a bit sick again as I get that from my ADHD meds when I try to be without it (withdrawal basically) on days I have no real reason to take them, so I had a bit trouble with breathing and stuttering and just thinking in general so I say the wrong words some time (wrong tank name, I say grass instead of lake on Live Oaks etc), apologizing for that. I have no idea what the actual fuck was going on with my mic, jesus.

• My initial movements are very different from yours. I think you don't leave yourself with many options after your openings and need to work on thinking "what next?" a bit more when you commit to something. 

• Karelia game is weird because the EBR didn't do what you (or I) expected. I didn't see it early enough but even from your position you could have been rotating into the middle right after he got spotted. I think that's what you needed to do for that game to be better. You probabnly need to go along the water around the hill and cross into it like you would from the other spawn for it to be safe, but with only one TD you run little risk of dying even if the EBR spots you. Even if you take half your HP that move is worth it IMO. Not more as it opens you up to getting pushed and you would only have the WZ TD supporting you, but that position unlocks so much and I think you know that - but I honestly didn't see it as I had to think about what to do from this opening and I guess I either was too focused on the wrong thing to see it or just too slow on it so I don't know how validated that criticism is in this case coming from me. It is the right play but I didn't see it either in real time so can't really fault you for it. 

• Live Oaks - nothing more to add on the game besides doing exactly what you did, but faster IMO. There are bushes within the house area there that let you fire double bushed and spot if you need to. I thought the EBR would spot deeper and dig out the enemy light so I would have played that from the typical snipe spot early to help out with that and establish vision control. I thought the EBR would light the cross as well but he sucked and didn't do shit so going into the houses was probably the right call. This is one of those situations where I made the mistake of thinking a teammate would actually be useful and would get screwed by it. Houses were a better call but there's better spots than the one you used. If you don't know which one I mean I can show you. Shifting focus into the long firing line into city was good, getting FV4005 out opens up so much without risking getting oneshot. I think right after this you can go into the city and mooch more damage off of your teammates on that engagement before it dies. It would result in a quicker mid game translation and you have much better mobility than anything there so your rotation will be faster than your teammates' and the south engagement will not have developed as much. I would go down the lake rim to rotate, if 121b spots you he can't really fight you without you killing him in any shape or form there. He can't spot you from the houses near his base or the arty bowl where he normally should be so you are free to move and use your mobility.

• What is the idea behind the opening on Ghost Town? I don't get what it's supposed to do.

• Is hill really the best option on Himmels encounter? It is where the most damage is going to be, but you have no armour and can't fight many tanks at once, I think there's a better opening that allows you to farm the big engagement without necessarily putting stakes into it. (opens you up to arty on standard however, forgot to mention that)

• Tempo, tempo. tempo.

• Get more comfortable on the PTA before playing the Leo 1 for performance's sake, make sure you have a gameplan on every map that works well. They play identically but Leo 1 just ups the risk/reward more. When you have enough PTA experience and feel comfortable in it on every map is when I would try the Leo 1 again. Try the same things and problem solve when the playing field changes to adjust your gameplan compared to the PTA. (Experience along with being more comfortable playing a faster game is what I think would help you most in tier 10, along with adjusting to the full tier 10 meta which is VERY different)

Thanks again for doing this - it's really great analysis and insight and I feel like I learn more each time.

To your points above:

• Openings in tier 10 games do really throw me. Because the MM is usully so bad, and there are more tanks that can destroy you quickly/spot 445+ with ease, it makes me cautious about using bushes/spots that work in tier 9 MM. I think some of that shows in the game where I go for 'safe' plays which in reality screw me over.
  • Having said that, the Ghost Town opening was shit. I didn't actually know about the bushes you mentioned (Well i do, but when i've used them in the past i've always been spotted so I stopped going there), so I literally had no idea where to go.
  • Similarly on Serene Coast - I take your point that I could have waited in that bush longer, but usually the tanks cross fairly early and if they still haven't by then it means they are going the long way. I guess I could have gone mid like you said at the end, but my team collapsed soooo quickly that it was hard to even process what to do.
  • Hill on Himmels was because of what I said above - reasonably safe and can fall back if you're quick enough. Bad for damage though.
  • Can you maybe expand on the full tier 10 MM post? Or maybe do a video of your own gameplay in those games? I completely agree that the meta is completely different, but in the other topic you kind of said that it isn't that different, just riskier. I think watching you play full tier 10, 3 arty, 4 lights bullshit and explaining what you did and why would help me and the community.
  • Finally, RE the last tip to play the Pta more - I want to hit 4k dpg over sessions in tier 9s I like and tier 10s (Any). Is grinding the Pts over and over worth it for that? Or should I either a) start playing tier 10s more even if it is painful; or b) 3 mark different tier 9s to get more experience in different styles? I definitely have a type - paper meds with good gun dep. I've 3 marked the Pta, T50, Standard B, M46 and E50 at tier 9. I've just bought the Type 61 back and the 430. Should I be practising in these, or moving to tier 10? Having watched a lot of my gameplay, what would you recommend to be the best tier 10 for me to grind/adapt to the meta?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't mean to spam so many. Only answer what you want!

28 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Thanks again for doing this - it's really great analysis and insight and I feel like I learn more each time.

To your points above:

• Openings in tier 10 games do really throw me. Because the MM is usully so bad, and there are more tanks that can destroy you quickly/spot 445+ with ease, it makes me cautious about using bushes/spots that work in tier 9 MM. I think some of that shows in the game where I go for 'safe' plays which in reality screw me over.
  • Having said that, the Ghost Town opening was shit. I didn't actually know about the bushes you mentioned (Well i do, but when i've used them in the past i've always been spotted so I stopped going there), so I literally had no idea where to go.
  • Similarly on Serene Coast - I take your point that I could have waited in that bush longer, but usually the tanks cross fairly early and if they still haven't by then it means they are going the long way. I guess I could have gone mid like you said at the end, but my team collapsed soooo quickly that it was hard to even process what to do.
  • Hill on Himmels was because of what I said above - reasonably safe and can fall back if you're quick enough. Bad for damage though.
  • Can you maybe expand on the full tier 10 MM post? Or maybe do a video of your own gameplay in those games? I completely agree that the meta is completely different, but in the other topic you kind of said that it isn't that different, just riskier. I think watching you play full tier 10, 3 arty, 4 lights bullshit and explaining what you did and why would help me and the community.
  • Finally, RE the last tip to play the Pta more - I want to hit 4k dpg over sessions in tier 9s I like and tier 10s (Any). Is grinding the Pts over and over worth it for that? Or should I either a) start playing tier 10s more even if it is painful; or b) 3 mark different tier 9s to get more experience in different styles? I definitely have a type - paper meds with good gun dep. I've 3 marked the Pta, T50, Standard B, M46 and E50 at tier 9. I've just bought the Type 61 back and the 430. Should I be practising in these, or moving to tier 10? Having watched a lot of my gameplay, what would you recommend to be the best tier 10 for me to grind/adapt to the meta?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't mean to spam so many. Only answer what you want!

To adress the big one - yes after I'm done with these chances are I'll make a new one asking for specific tank requests people want out of me. (somewhat limited to what I can imagine standing to play at the time, right now that is only the PTA and E 50 as I genuinely want a break from tier 10. I'm having so much more fun in tier 9s and actually enjoy playing more than not which is honestly just not true for tier 10 right now) After I get bored of PTA I will probably get back to spamming M60 and get to work on getting comfy with the STB-1 and get back revaluating tier 10. I still need to sink some time on to the Chief as well, Barry just marked his second so I have plenty of game tape at my disposal to evaluate there too that I should go through. 

I think my experience with tier 10 is why I'm having such an easy time in tier 9 because you are expected to be punished all the time but isn't because tier 7 guns can't and very few tier 8 guns can either compared to what you're able to deal out in return. In tier 10 everything just slams you back harder as when you play meds and I think it is more my time on basically only playing tier 10 (pretty much last two years) making tier 9 easy than putting time into the tier 9MM that makes it easy. The amount of punishment you recieve is so much lower which allow for more mistakes and that's generally the big difference. It's still similar, but more gimmicks like actually being unpennable doesn't happen at tier 9 so engagements become much easier to play around.

I'll answer the other ones later, busy day! If I forget just remind me tomorrow

Kolni, I had a question for you.

If you weren't going to get to my replays today, then would it be okay with you if I played a tier 10 session tonight and put those replays up for you instead? I just think that might be better than the set of replays I put up already.

So, I think I got a pretty good session. All T-62A, which I've been playing again recently.

So, here are 5 replays from this session. If you've already started the other ones, then that's fine. If not, I'd rather you reviewed these instead if that's okay with you Kolni.

First, El Halluf: http://wotreplays.eu/site/5326445#el_halluf-churchill50-t-62a

I should not have taken the aggressive cross. With the WZ-120 there, I was lucky I didn't take more damage. Next bit is a lot of me expecting my gun to hit and theirs to not, and that not happening. Then fell back (which I probably should've done earlier), and did alright. I wish I had known I was exposed to that SU.

Next, Empire's Border: http://wotreplays.eu/site/5326446#empire_s_border-churchill50-t-62a

Against the Leopard PTA and Standard B, I should've taken cover behind the rock to my right. I don't know why I didn't do that, or why I didn't notice they came back sooner. Not the best game.

Then, Ruinberg: http://wotreplays.eu/site/5326448#ruinberg-churchill50-t-62a

I feel like I played this pretty well. Could've handled the end a little better. Some of my shots/reactions were horrible. But overall, I feel I did well.

Then, Fisherman's Bay: http://wotreplays.eu/site/5326450#fisherman_s_bay-churchill50-t-62a

Overall, a mehgame. I got aggressive in the end since I realized the game was ending. I probably should've played that differently instead of exposing myself to the crossfire between the UDES and 430U.

Finally, Highway: http://wotreplays.eu/site/5326451#highway-churchill50-t-62a

Really screwed up this game, which wasn't helped by the fire. I'm thinking I should've gone where the T-54 Ltwt was, instead of where I went. I do feel like field was the right play since that's where most of their HP was, but I should've played it differently, imo at least. I really want to hear what your gameplan on this map would be.

Overall, I feel like that is a much better session for review than the mix-and-matched tier 9 replays I put up before. I feel like there's a lot more to learn from these replays. Plus, I was playing my normal playstyle with the T-62A, so a review will be more applicable to my normal playstyle.

On 4/12/2020 at 6:40 PM, Snoregasm2 said:

To your points above:

• Tier 10 openings rely on hard cover or other people spotting for you in tanks like the Leo, you only abuse bushes that can be double bushed easily (ghost town ones I talked about for example are great at that) - you need the game to play out before you start committing to anything because otherwise you simply run into the unknown too often and that is very tricky to play against. Steppes example would be taking the free damage on HT crosses over going 9-0, 9-0 matters way more but there's no good way of fighting there without committing so if you wind up losing your game is over = bad idea. Your opening needs to leave yourself with fallback options when they don't work, and preferably in a position where you don't take damage if they don't work either. Preserve your HP until the game is like 5-5 scoreline and you'll see how much easier it is to farm people when you both have the advantage of HP to keep them from just pushing you and mobility to make use of whatever map openings are left after initial deployments. So what if you miss the early damage, is that early damage the only damage you can get? Of course not. On some maps, yes, but on most no. Play bitchier. (Also quicker on your end). 
  • Alright, trying stuff is fine but generally they need to have a reason behind them. I think a better deployment from the get go will help you get better control over how your situations play out. This can be practiced a lot in slower tanks that really fuck up by misdirection early on. You seem perfectly capable of making do with the cards you are dealt after a bad start, so I don't think that's an issue for you. More aggression, more tempo and better map awareness of angles you have together will probably solve most of your T10 issues. Keep track of what is spotted on your team, watch for stun timers to see if you have arty safe windows etc. Poke in segments, 2-3 pokes and then go dark for a while so arty can't get preaimed shots on you. 
  • It is higher risk, that is the main difference. Tanks still go to the same places, play the same way. They just can't do it as well, so there are more windows to punish on your end in tier 9, while the enemy has bigger punish windows on you in tier 10. 
  • Full T10 MM is where you play like a bitch. Make sure you are never the first spotted, keep attention away from you as long as you can until it's starting to cost you damage. Commit your HP for a reason, otherwise vision and turrets facing other directions are your only real means of gobbling early damage up. Think of it more as being a leech off of what your team is doing for the early game, take what is FREE and don't gamble on anything you percieve is a risk. You get better at this by making those mistakes and adjusting to them, the important part is just to try and replicate the same scenarios that you are comfortable with but now with your new information to see what's changed. Map awareness really matters too. You can find cheeky shots here and there but in doing so you also alert the target you shot about the angle, this generally means you want to fire at one tank at a time for as long as you can, they won't type in chat where you are so you can avoid more people knowing your intel that way. 
  • PTA spam is perfectly fine IMO for improvement, the tank has 5k potential for sure but no one's there yet. If you improve there and push your boundaries, it will translate to tier 10 as well. Mostly it's going to be a difference playing other 9s, but there are things to take with you there too. Much like tier 9s really just rape tier 7s without any chance of counterplay, tier 10s do that to everything but some 9s and other tier 10s. The thing is that it takes longer though, a tier 9 tank will kill a tier 7 in 3-4 shells, a tier 10 med will need 5 for an 8, and that is the same amount as a tier 9 needs for an 8 as well. Alpha only really goes up heavily among TDs and few heavies, but meds generally fight the same. It's about exposure and what is free both on 9 and 10. 10 just gives less openings. 3 arties make any aggressive opening impossible, so what's the best passive option. Consider your position in relation to where the best position to deal damage on the map is right now, could you have known that it would be and gotten there in time, or is there a way you can move there now? If no, look for 2nd best options. Resort to trading when you really don't see any other options. It happens a lot, and I end up trading every game as well, but knowing when it's your best choice in regard to the game state is key. Can you shift the balance with baiting teammates into engaging while you free farm for a while to mitigate your damage during the trading? How will that affect the outcome? You stand higher risk of losing without committing your own HP into it, so farming a lost engagement and then using mobility to prolong the push prevent them from reaching you is something you're going to have to be comfortable with. This means rotating early enough to NOT GET CAUGHT rotating. Even if it's 2 lost shots of damage. 2 shots of damage is something you can squeeze in by micro alone at the end of a lost game regardless. You already are in the PTA, but on the losing end in tier 10 - do you remain alive until the end as often? This generally lets you farm up at least 2k or so if you have a crossfire on whatever gets swarmed and stalling for longer until you just have to fight head to head. 
  • These are snipey bitch tanks, designated target is a great trick to go unspotted but still have time to go dark and time to fire again unspotted. I'm trying this right now and I think it's a pretty sleeper OP perk. Don't wanna say for sure in general, but in vision games it's absolutely busted. Remember to aim in the general direction to keep it active, this means aiming on areas you want to prolong spots. Only need to do it as they're about to go dark too. (Haven't been able to work out the specifics on how it works on spotted tanks you haven't spotted yourself but fire/result in more assist because of your usage yet)
  • Type 61 is a great tank atm, less sniping more poking. Trading pattern is simple (2:1 is an easy method to get good games off against other mediums after some free damage, even if that is all you end up doing afterwards). 

I think you either should just dive straight in and get comfortable with tier 10, see what works and keep adjusting and remaining with an open mind to what happens. First 100 games are gonna suck. Second 100 too. After 1k banked you're going to just be comfortable by nature, and your skills should translate and hopefully develop further. Do that for a few weeks, then go back to 9s and watch how your tempo drives the game forward and just downright controls it because you are so much quicker at reading what's happening, and more aware of whatever could be happening in fog. Other way is T9 spamming until you really start feeling competitive, and then just trying to translate those skills into tier 10s, with the added risk (arguably not so much reward with how much better 9mm is). Get confident with what works and doesn't and how situations are likely to play out, use the preemptive gut feeling to steer your future decisions in a better direction if something doesn't feel right. 

Tier 10 also lets you play slower. Full tier 10 games are either complete yolos (meaning an alternate firing lane is freefarming days on end) or slower than tier 9 games. That sense of urgency tier 9 games give you will not be as present, but your ability to locate openings will still be much quicker and lets you make plays sooner. 

Full tier 10 is where you think twice before doing something, but whenever you have a 5-10 or 3-5-7 you just have a large enough advantage to outplay people on tank specs alone, factor vision and map awareness into it and I think you'll end up comfortable with tier 10 eventually. It is harder, tier 10 full games suck and are hard to play out. Those games are below my averages, the top tier MM is when you shift into 5th gear and really rack up damage if you can. Regardless if you can't find easy farm or not, spending some time on looking for it over trading HP early on means you still have your tank advantage (tier) for longer until your HP pool shrinks down to something lower tiers can actually deal with. This goes more for brawling tanks holding positions, but in a Leo1 you really shouldn't be taking damage until you have 2-3k damage unless there's no other choice. 

On 4/17/2020 at 12:32 AM, kolni said:
  • Snip

Thanks for the responses!

I'm going to go with your suggestion and mainly play Pta so i'm comfortable for every single map with a plan. I normally jump between tanks a lot, but i've already found playing one tank non-stop increases comfort levels/game to game consistency.

The teams this weekend are absolute ebola, but I did manage to average 3.7k dpg over the last week, so I think I can maybe hit 4k dpg in this at some point:

Y5t6zqM.png

I'm still not sure which tier 10 to transition into to try and 3 mark. The obvious answer is Leo 1 but it feels like it has E50M syndrome - a tier 9 predecessor that is just better tier for tier (although Leo 1 is definitely better than E50M). 

Sweet! Thank you again for doing this kolni!

Now it's time for me to get my playstyle torn apart for 42 minutes.

I hope those replays were good ones for you to review? I know they were pretty pathetic as a session. Ended on like 2.8k DPG I think.

Took me a while to watch through it because irl stuff kept coming up.

El Halluf: I didn't know about that spot. I've always farmed other people who go there, so I just avoid it. I might also have gone there at some point a long time ago and been artied, so I stopped using it. I'll definitely try it next time I'm on that map with no arty though. I don't know why I haven't used it, since I've used the corresponding position on the other side plenty of times. Definite misplay by me there. And yeah, you're definitely right about trading.
The analysis of how the whole game could've gone differently was really interesting.

Empire's Border: I've never really played the lower ground in the corner before. Maybe that's something I should try. Do you happen to have a replay where you played that so I can see what positions you use?
I was thinking I would be fast enough on that initial spotting poke to get there before the FV got in position. But, I do see that was a risk.
I definitely didn't notice the Leo PTA and Standard B poking back up, although I should have. I should've pulled back at that point tbh due to the crossfire.
I do need to work on not trading. I tend to play higher alpha tanks usually, so that's not something I'm good at.

Ruinberg: I committed in the beginning since I thought the 277 was coming with me. I do see that that was risky though. My one thing is I'm not sure where else I would've played.
Looking back at how I handled the Foch was painful.
You do have a good point about that mid rush being common and needing to work around it. I'll do what you suggest and farm people doing that going forward.
I think I forgot I was spamming HEAT there. APCR definitely would've been better against the 60TP and E4, and then I would've had the HEAT to pen the UDES frontally.
That situation at the end was what I was talking about with my horrible shots/reactions. I don't know what was wrong with me there. You have a very good point about just tanking the UDES to kill the E4. I hadn't even thought of that.

Fisherman's Bay: Yeah, I realized it was a mistake to drive forward after the 13 105 spotted me while I was doing it. Not my proudest moment. I should've realized that and just backed up.
I see what you mean about noticing the 705A and then working that side later when my team was pushing it.
Good point about taking the time to take that blindshot on the 140 correctly.
Yeah, it was risky. Really no excuse for that.
Keeping the 140 spotted was intentional. With the STB-1, arty, and the E4, I figured he would die if I gave it a bit of time.
Yeah, that push up into the crossfire between the UDES and 430U was a bad idea, and badly executed too.
Thank you for the analysis about general gameplay. I do tend to trade my HP too much. That's something I'll work on.

You have a very good point about my situational awareness. Watching these replays again, especially with your commentary, I realize how bad my situational/map awareness was.

Highway: Do you have a replay showing how you would play a med in the city? Just wondering what kind of positions/playstyle you would use.
I went field since I thought that's where a lot of their HP would be (since they have a lot of mediums in their lineup), and because there was only one arty.
I reacted really badly to the fire. I should've pulled back.
I had never even thought about how my actions can trigger a fastcap on a map like that, although I don't know how I didn't think about that. That's a really good point. I'll try to be more aware of that in the future.
Poking up there was just kind of a habitual play. If there aren't many people up north of that, it can be really good. As is... yeah, that was bad.

I should probably go spam a lot of games in the T-62A to really learn how to play it. Right now it's just not something I'm quite used to playing.
It might not be a bad idea to do that, just to force myself out of the habit of trading and to force myself to be very good with positioning.

Thank you again for doing this! It was a little disappointing realizing how badly I played some of those, and how much better I could've played them. But taking some of the stuff you pointed out should help me a lot going forward.

@kolni Thank you so much for reviewing my terrible games. Yes I know my sensitivity is God awful. I really appreciate the time you spent on this. Honestly I was surprised how much room there is to improve and how bad I am at tanks. Three things I need to improve are situational awareness, sensitivity, and don't be so damn cheep.