Sign in to follow this  
Reppic27

Wot Forums - Lost My Mind

Friends,

I'm hoping I can come here for a sanity check. Being stuck at home because of the virus, I'd had a ton of free time and thus prowled the WoT official forums. 

Naturally I got into some discussions, some heated specifically about anti-arty threads. At first I didn't venture into anti-arty topic at all, more so just calling out the "oh this is a whinning thread" posts and disprove their logic when indeed the thread wasn't whinning at all. 

Then discussions ensued about why arty is balanced and my attempt to disprove it. This is where I lost my sh!t, not because people had different opinions but rather because a 44%-er wrote this elaborate post to which my response was - in summary "how can you say all these things when you clearly don't understand game mechanics" - several posts later I realized you can't convince this person of anything, he'll just refute til the end of time. 

I mean this went on for a while. At some point I said you don't ask a high school life guard to diagnose a patient, you as a doctor and then some other guy wrote a novel of a post and after reading it, I felt I had lost brain cells that I was dumber having read it.

Really bad players really feel that they can chime in and spew elongated posts which say much but mean nothing on the topic. That got to me.

So I ask you all, do you feel the same way? If no, is it me? I noticed two things, one I don't see many purples post there and two the ones I see post generally seem to stay away from those kind of topics. 

I've decided to not go back to the WoT forums, it gave me anxiety. 

EU is different in that purple posters will argue points. But then there is a larger population of posters I suspect. However, players who by win rate are bad at World of Tanks will still offer opinions, and if those opinions are called out using facts, they will still often cleave to them despite evidence to the contrary.

However this is not merely a reflection of World of Tanks and it's forums. This is a phenomenon of everyday life, and psychologists often refer to something similar as cognitive dissonance.

At its height the main forum had a mixture of different player types. As the game got dumber and dumber a lot of the better players drifted away. The main forum is now a blasted wasteland of window lickers, sundowning boomers, and neckbeards trying to flex their 55% win rate because in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king. The few blurples that still post there are mostly the ones with personalities so insufferable they were/would be driven off Wotlabs when/if they brought that shit here.

Basically, the main forum is just like the game.

This week, on the EU forums, following a video by a Youtuber that's either thick or knows his audience well, the favorite conspiracy theory is that WG rigs the losing team, as proven by the fact that in the post battle stats, the losing team performed less well than the winning team, and does so consistently.

I think that says enough about the forums, and about the average player.

People are more and more frustrated that they don't win or do as much as they want. And they seek excuses. When you point out to them that it's easier to improve that chase ghosts, they blow their top.

2 hours ago, kolni said:

just show them my sig they'll probably explode

Actually they would just say you cheat with Wargaming's cooperation.

1 hour ago, Private_Miros said:

The bottom 5 of the enemy team does less than you consistently. This is clear sign of rigging.

Only the bottom 5?

Players like Kolni are probably assumed to be some kind of super-AI bot developed by WG deliberately to rig games against one team  and to advertise their pay-to-win hacks to those desperate to boost their stats.

20 hours ago, Balthazars said:

Only the bottom 5?

Players like Kolni are probably assumed to be some kind of super-AI bot developed by WG deliberately to rig games against one team  and to advertise their pay-to-win hacks to those desperate to boost their stats.

Fuck I’ve been made 

7 hours ago, kolni said:

Fuck I’ve been made 

Fuck outta here McWarpack

the North American world of tanks forum is absolute grim. Which makes sense since its almost all middle aged Americans. 

3 hours ago, waga100 said:

the North American world of tanks forum is absolute grim. Which makes sense since its almost all middle aged Americans. 

My daddy killed 5 Tigers with his Sherman back in them olden days, god damn Commie game

On 5/6/2020 at 4:20 PM, Private_Miros said:

a Youtuber that's either thick or knows his audience well

He's really turned the conspiracy dial to 11, if it's the youtuber I think it is.