I have only joined today but about the whole reputation thing I think you should add.

"Do not make a thread about the Ratte & why is it not in game, as this is guaranteed to make you look stupid"

P.S

Been reading some threads & especially liked the Improved Vents vs. Other Options by madcow the replys in it was very informative!

I am not Unicum but I think I will like it here & I will try not to dilute the quality with rubbish posts.

I fully support this thread. There's a local gun message board I post on that has had a few of these types of people. Occasionally it becomes humorous, but most often annoying. (and when dealing with a topic such as firearms, a poster spewing BS to someone seeking information can potentially create a dangerous situation)

Sounds like a gun forum I also belong to.  My user name makes more sense over there.

Yet again, forums that are linked up with their games tend to fave faults. Clans. Now this is also an issue, since certain players plague the forums with the idea that, if a player is apart of a clan, they are directly related in how they act with the rest of their clan members, and do not derive from personal experiences.

Really though, if you come from a certain place, you're screwed from the start. I don't know why this thread was created when knowing you can just look around and notice how others are typing and responding to each other, and correct yourself accordingly.

I would like to add something to this thread.

The whole purpose of this forum is to help other WOT players is it not?

Nobody is perfect, and anybody can make a bad post or an untrue statement even if it is out of ignorance.

Constructive criticism or showing the person who makes a fallacious statement is one thing, but when the response is straight up demeanning and rude it falls into a completely different category.

I'm not saying people need to coddle or spoon feed others, but when they pounce like a leopard making a kill responding with things like-  "you're a retard" or a "moron" ect, then they should keep silent.  Disparaging remarks like that are not conducive to a positive environment and in effect amplify the shit posting because people start to get into their feelings or are discouraged from posting when they may actually have something useful or constructive to say

This is not rampant, but it does exist and I think Mods and Admin need to address this and nip it in the bud.

A little civility can go a long way, otherwise this forum could easily degenerate into something as bad as the Official Forums

Nobody is perfect, and anybody can make a bad post or an untrue statement even if it is out of ignorance.

Constructive criticism or showing the person who makes a fallacious statement is one thing, but when the response is straight up demeanning and rude it falls into a completely different category.

I'm not saying people need to coddle or spoon feed others, but when they pounce like a leopard making a kill responding with things like-  "you're a retard" or a "moron" ect, then they should keep silent.  Disparaging remarks like that are not conducive to a positive environment and in effect amplify the shit posting because people start to get into their feelings or are discouraged from posting when they may actually have something useful or constructive to say

This is not rampant, but it does exist and I think Mods and Admin need to address this and nip it in the bud.

A little civility can go a long way, otherwise this forum could easily degenerate into something as bad as the Official Forums

I know of a company where, when a particular Director came into a meeting with a poorly prepared idea, had the owner and founder (this is a Fortune 50) ask that person "How did someone so clearly fucking retarded get hired here? Get out." Billion dollar company. Used "Fucking retarded" in a high level meeting out of frustration with not just the ignorance on the display, but the audacity to bring that ignorance into a room with people that were supposed to be a select group of highly capable individuals and share it as though it deserved to be considered. You can criticize the handling of that moment all you want, but if you spend more time criticizing how it was handled than you do analyzing why it happened you'll miss out.

People that are very good at things, that have set up a place to share that knowledge and be with other like minded, similarly capable people, tend to have low tolerance and limited patience for bullshit. They will not always be nice. They will not sugarcoat criticism. If someone displays not just ignorance, but some sense of defiance at the same time, as in, "I don't care what I know you think, even though you clearly have a better grasp on this than I do, here's why you're wrong", that will result in a slap down almost every time.

As Marduk said, when you come to a forum like this, put on your big boy pants. The advice in the OP is excellent advice. I probably post more than I should given the green on me being so thick you can smell it over the internet, but I do try to only post when I am certain I'm not being a complete dumbass and take my lumps when I err. Someone that puts on a fuckwit display, essentially announcing to everyone "Hey I'm a fuckwit", takes away that person's right to be offended when someone calls them a fuckwit.

Poster PUBS#1 makes a post: " Pythagorean Theorem is ... A^2 + B^2 = D^2" and is obviously wrong.

Poster Unicum#1 chooses  to respond and replies " No PUBS it's actually A^2 + B^2 = C^2"

Why is that so hard?  Does making an erroneous statement automatically strip someone of their right to be treated with respect and civility?

It's not about wearing big boy pants, its about treating others with the same common courtesy and respect you expect them to treat you with.

Your even doing less work than if you typed "No PUBS you're a stupid fucking retard it's actually A^2 + B^2 = C^2"

Now if PUBS#1 responded " No it's not STFU I know what I'm talking about!", then by all means jump in their shit.

I really hope people have more patience for you than you do for others the next time you fuck up, because nobody's perfect.

BTW I do think the OP made a very good post I just wanted to add m2c, if you decide to heed my advice, great, if not that's your choice as well ..

Poster PUBS#1 makes a post: " Pythagorean Theorem is ... A^2 + B^2 = D^2" and is obviously wrong.

Poster Unicum#1 chooses  to respond and replies " No PUBS it's actually A^2 + B^2 = C^2"

Why is that so hard?  Does making an erroneous statement automatically strip someone of their right to be treated with respect and civility?

It's not about wearing big boy pants, its about treating others with the same common courtesy and respect you expect them to treat you with.

Your even doing less work than if you typed "No PUBS you're a stupid fucking retard it's actually A^2 + B^2 = C^2"

Now if PUBS#1 responded " No it's not STFU I know what I'm talking about!", then by all means jump in their shit.

I really hope people have more patience for you than you do for others the next time you fuck up, because nobody's perfect.

BTW I do think the OP made a very good post I just wanted to add m2c, if you decide to heed my advice, great, if not that's your choice as well ..

If that happened in some random forum, or at a cafe, be courteous. If someone logs into a Field's medalist forum, ignores all the stickied information about the Pythagorean Theorem, and pontificates about A^2 + B^2 = D^2, they should expect less courtesy and deserve less courtesy. People can get together in their tin foil hat wearing outtings at Chili's and discuss how they're not going to vaccinate their kids all they want and no one should be a prick and confront them about it. Take that shit into a pediatric clinic? Someone's going to strangle them and for good reason.

If that happened in some random forum, or at a cafe, be courteous. If someone logs into a Field's medalist forum, ignores all the stickied information about the Pythagorean Theorem, and pontificates about A^2 + B^2 = D^2, they should expect less courtesy and deserve less courtesy. People can get together in their tin foil hat wearing outtings at Chili's and discuss how they're not going to vaccinate their kids all they want and no one should be a prick and confront them about it. Take that shit into a pediatric clinic? Someone's going to strangle them and for good reason.

Like I said I thought the whole purpose of the forum was to make better tankers by providing a medium where they could learn.  Bullying belittling and browbeating people is not an environment conducive to learning.  If someone says something dumb or is incorrect, correct them, and if they become indignant and act like a jackass after that report them and let the mods handle it.  There are a number of topics on here which are and have been debated heatedly by some of the best WOT players on the Web.  Some of it involves difference in playstyles or just personal preference ... ie what may work well for you may not work welll for me ect. It doesn't necesarily make one persons opinion more or less valid than anothers, and a constructive debate will always be more productive than an argument that breaks down into insults and name calling.

#1 NECRO

How is this not locked by now? Listening to bad opinions is only a prerequisite of people that give a fuck what you have to say, we don't. I honestly don't mean that to be rude, I mean that to be from someone who contributes to the information you come here to learn. If you worked at an Engineering company and I had played with Lego's once, would you care what I said about your methods? At all? Yes maybe, just maybe there is a glean of positive information in there for you to improve yourself, but is it worth letting every kid who ever played with Lego's give you advice unopposed? No. That's why we're here, to tell it like it is. If you say something stupid, we will tell you "that was stupid." Politeness breads stupidity in a private forum, you need somebody to tell you you're dumb when you say something dumb, or you would audaciously continue to post BS without proper research.

This forum is to "Cut through the BS", not propagate it, if that's too harsh for you then please follow this link here , where people care only about civility and none about facts.

Edited by Swolja
necro?

1 person so many positives kinda reaffirms your faith in reality of perception and the belief in conversation not assumption or abuse !

More power to you mate. :)

Even with the greatest guide, there is usually one person that will troll/don't care about the forum. Still makes the forum good, reading all the random stuff people post. :)