ZXrage

Equipment 2.0 Builds

3 hours ago, Gryphon_ said:

Just played an all tier ten random in my Sheridan (!) and was top xp on my team, almost top dmg, and the Sher on other team also had top xp, almost top damage. You didnt use to see Sheridans do well...

I was running CVS, optics, LNES, he was running CVS, optics, Vstab

That +6 to camo with LNES seems to improve the Sheridan a lot, as the camo was one of its weak points. Food for thought.

@CraBeatOff is Sheridan expert. He runs the 152 with optics and a handling centric build.

8 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

So, what for the box tanks (got a box tank mission left, so doing some VK-P / VK-B, Maus(chen)

• VK-P, the gun handling is not that good, so i pref to keep vents (for now)
  • VK-B, gun handling is ok, but not good enough without stab, so im thinking of dropping vents for turbo (it goes 30km, but hardly reaches it, and reverse speed is also poor, with turbo it should move overall better)
  • Mausschen, gun handling is rly good, so im thinking of dropping V-stab for IRM, the slow-ass turning is a big con, and vents for hardening? (gonna make my mission harder though :( )
  • Maus, same as mauschen i guess? IH / Rammer / IRM?

(on last 3 tanks i have a 3 skill crew with bia)

Since when did you become the Leggasini of German bento boxes?

5 hours ago, lavawing said:

Since when did you become the Leggasini of German bento boxes?

Gehakte has always had a thing for slow brick heavies.

@GehakteMolen for what it's worth I'm using Hardening, Rammer and Optics on my Maus, although once I have more credits saved up to buy equipment I will probably try either Improved Rotation or maybe Turbo on it instead of the Optics (the Improved Rotation seems like it would be more useful than Turbo), but with hardening already it seems noticeably tougher (and 3,300 HP is just hilarious) mostly because of the bonuses to track repair, as it allows you to bait so much more with your tracks and keep on angling between shots.

4 hours ago, Balthazars said:

Gehakte has always had a thing for slow brick heavies.

@GehakteMolen for what it's worth I'm using Hardening, Rammer and Optics on my Maus, although once I have more credits saved up to buy equipment I will probably try either Improved Rotation or maybe Turbo on it instead of the Optics (the Improved Rotation seems like it would be more useful than Turbo), but with hardening already it seems noticeably tougher (and 3,300 HP is just hilarious) mostly because of the bonuses to track repair, as it allows you to bait so much more with your tracks and keep on angling between shots.

As the turboevangelist, I can say turbo doesn't really work on Maus. I mean it lifts the speed limit cap, sure, but because it is so heavy, the HP/T gain is minimal.

8 hours ago, sr360 said:

As the turboevangelist, I can say turbo doesn't really work on Maus. I mean it lifts the speed limit cap, sure, but because it is so heavy, the HP/T gain is minimal.

Thanks, I kind of figured that would be the case, but always good to hear it from the prophet himself!

So to straighten this in my head, turbo works best on tanks with already decent hp/t but limited top speeds?

4 hours ago, Ezz said:

So to straighten this in my head, turbo works best on tanks with already decent hp/t but limited top speeds?

It's a little more complicated than that. Turbo does 3 things, and each of them is more or less important in certain cases:

+7.5-10% engine power
+4-5 km/h top speed
+2-3 km/h reverse speed

In the first case, raw engine power matters less than HP/T. So underpowered, heavy tanks gain less hp/T than light tanks with big engines. Add to that the terrain resistance values, and the hp/t gains vary widely.

In the second case, you're right-- speedcapped tanks gain more than tanks than never reach their top speed or struggle to reach it (see SuperPershing). The Maus and Tortoise do reach their top speed and cruise at it, but they gain relatively little acceleration, and is an extra 4 k/h forward speed alone worth it for a slot?

In the third case, the extra reverse speed can make a big difference for tanks that back down after shooting.

In a special case: the Swede TDs get +4/-2 to siege mode, which is a substantial boost to those tanks and may very well be worth the module for them.

1 hour ago, sr360 said:

It's a little more complicated than that. Turbo does 3 things, and each of them is more or less important in certain cases:

+7.5-10% engine power
+4-5 km/h top speed
+2-3 km/h reverse speed

In the first case, raw engine power matters less than HP/T. So underpowered, heavy tanks gain less hp/T than light tanks with big engines. Add to that the terrain resistance values, and the hp/t gains vary widely.

In the second case, you're right-- speedcapped tanks gain more than tanks than never reach their top speed or struggle to reach it (see SuperPershing). The Maus and Tortoise do reach their top speed and cruise at it, but they gain relatively little acceleration, and is an extra 4 k/h forward speed alone worth it for a slot?

In the third case, the extra reverse speed can make a big difference for tanks that back down after shooting.

In a special case: the Swede TDs get +4/-2 to siege mode, which is a substantial boost to those tanks and may very well be worth the module for them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought turbo also increases track traverse, much like every other boost to your HP/T?

@Ezz pretty much it. the best use of turbo is on something like the Caern AX where the extra top speed is easily reachable and allows it to flex, the extra reverse speed allows it to avoid damage, and the track traverse makes it slighly more agile. On the other side of the spectrum things that already have ludicrous mobility, e.g. the T-44-100 also get a lot of mileage from it, since you you can then outrun every medium in the game and some lights.

Btw tanks.gg now shows the new equipment

The necessity to be able to actually hit your new top speed is a little less necessary than I think it's being made out to be. I.E the Spershing isn't going to hit its default top speed of 40 or its new turbo speed of 45, but if the additional engine power lets it move 5kph faster on flat ground it doesn't actually matter. It's still going 5kph faster.

8 hours ago, Rexxie said:

The necessity to be able to actually hit your new top speed is a little less necessary than I think it's being made out to be. I.E the Spershing isn't going to hit its default top speed of 40 or its new turbo speed of 45, but if the additional engine power lets it move 5kph faster on flat ground it doesn't actually matter. It's still going 5kph faster.

I have only done a little testing but I don’t think it does. Given how little hp/t it gains and it’s high terrain resistance it gets only a mild increase in speed. 

10 hours ago, Rexxie said:

From my own testing, Spersh only reaches heavium speeds with both grousers and turbo, which completely kills your already shitty firepower. IMO the tank is pretty much irredeemable in the speed department and your best bet is making the most out of its heavy aspects 

On 9/11/2020 at 11:55 PM, sr360 said:

+7.5-10% engine power
+4-5 km/h top speed
+2-3 km/h reverse speed

FWIW, i've tried playing the Maus both ways, and I think the turbocharger is better.  Although it doesn't improve the effective traverse speeds as much as the grousers do, it does improve them roughly as much over "stock" as the grousers improve them over the "turbo" configuration, which is enough to be significant.  Because the turbo adds a flat 4km/h and 2km/h bonus to speed (rather than a percentage), it helps tanks with a low top speed more in a relative sense, and I haven't noticed much trouble getting it to actually hit its new top speed.  As with lots of superheavies, I think the biggest issue with the Maus is not even being able to get to a place where you can be effective before the game is decided, and the turbocharger helps significantly with that, along with (additionally) making you a bit more agile in close-quarters combat.

3 hours ago, _Juris said:

FWIW, i've tried playing the Maus both ways, and I think the turbocharger is better.  Although it doesn't improve the effective traverse speeds as much as the grousers do, it does improve them roughly as much over "stock" as the grousers improve them over the "turbo" configuration, which is enough to be significant.  Because the turbo adds a flat 4km/h and 2km/h bonus to speed (rather than a percentage), it helps tanks with a low top speed more in a relative sense, and I haven't noticed much trouble getting it to actually hit its new top speed.  As with lots of superheavies, I think the biggest issue with the Maus is not even being able to get to a place where you can be effective before the game is decided, and the turbocharger helps significantly with that, along with (additionally) making you a bit more agile in close-quarters combat.

That's reasonable. My only concern is that for the Maus it is really only getting a small speed boost and maybe some traverse improvement, and is that worth an equipment slot over, say, hardening or vents (assuming you're keeping VS and rammer). Extra important because both hardening and vents get the slot bonus.

That's really the main issue. Vstab/Rammer/Hardening are really strong. Of the three, I think Rammer is the only one you can think about dropping. That makes using turbocharger a lot less obvious than if you were running something mediocre like vents. If it wasn't for that, I would totally agree that Turbo is amazing on a Maus. As it is I feel like it's more of a playstyle question vs rammer.

In the case of the Maus, I think the answer is clearly yes.  4 km/h is a 20% speed boost, and the tank feels noticeably more agile.  I was toying around with vents in the bonus slot, then turbo and rammer, which seems to work very well.  It's still slow enough that not having the VStab doesn't really feel that bad.  I think you could go lots of different ways with the other two pieces of equipment, depending on what you want to do, but with a good crew and food with this setup, you still have 465m view range too, so you're not blind.

So I was watching the FAME vs MERCY show match, and I was intrigued by their equipment setups. Granting that this is high level competitive play and that I couldn't see what everyone had mounted, this is what I did glean:

1. Pretty much everyone except arty and EBRs ran hardening. That makes sense, because one extra shot worth of HP in HP trading circumstances can mean the difference between win and loss.

2. Tanks that were designated to lead the push or rush to a forward spot ran turbo. Notably MERCY used an IS-7 with hardening and turbo to lead a push and absorb punishment and potentially get to an annoying spot alive.

3. EBRs ran exhaust/iOptic/ivents. Now these were open maps with little cover (Fish Bay, Sand River) so CVS is probably less optimal, but that leads me to ponder the thesis: is LNE better than CVS on EBRs? Longer answer after I do some number crunching and see what OP has to say in his EqBible.

1 hour ago, sr360 said:

So I was watching the FAME vs MERCY show match, and I was intrigued by their equipment setups. Granting that this is high level competitive play and that I couldn't see what everyone had mounted, this is what I did glean:

1. Pretty much everyone except arty and EBRs ran hardening. That makes sense, because one extra shot worth of HP in HP trading circumstances can mean the difference between win and loss.

2. Tanks that were designated to lead the push or rush to a forward spot ran turbo. Notably MERCY used an IS-7 with hardening and turbo to lead a push and absorb punishment and potentially get to an annoying spot alive.

3. EBRs ran exhaust/iOptic/ivents. Now these were open maps with little cover (Fish Bay, Sand River) so CVS is probably less optimal, but that leads me to ponder the thesis: is LNE better than CVS on EBRs? Longer answer after I do some number crunching and see what OP has to say in his EqBible.

That's very interesting and, as you say, in the competitive environment the extra HP could be really decisive.  I wish the competitive environment wasn't so shitty, because seeing the new equipment choices in that context would be really fascinating.

26 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Similarly curious now who spots who first, the Ivents ioptics lne or the cvs.

I did the math wrong so I'm redoing it, but it seems like in the open, and on the move, the LNE spots the CVS a whiff earlier. However, the LNE works vs MTs and HTs in the open by allowing you to loop closer to them, whereas the CVS works better on wooded maps such as Prok and Muro.

18 minutes ago, sr360 said:

I did the math wrong so I'm redoing it, but it seems like in the open, and on the move, the LNE spots the CVS a whiff earlier. However, the LNE works vs MTs and HTs in the open by allowing you to loop closer to them, whereas the CVS works better on wooded maps such as Prok and Muro.

If the meds and heavies are moving or bushed the cvs would also confer a bonus too. And yeah, doing the math wrong is a very significant step ahead of where i got to ... i'm yet to even buy any of this new shit, because fk full price anything in wot anymore.

In maps with little to no foliage, LNES > CVS.

LNES is applied first into the total tank camo and then CVS works against that new value.

So when CVS is fighting against a LNES user and assuming that both users have them in the bonus slot in open spotting scenarios - a 12.5% reduction to moving camo vs +8% camo. You can do the calculations directly and find that the LNES user has a 7% camo advantage (0.875*8 = 7). This translates to anywhere between 30~40m of spotting advantage for the LNES user. This works differently when foliage is taken into account because you need to know the total camo before doing spotting range calculations.

idk if its been said here

but the E75ts and panther M10 with turbo are insane. the E75 maintains 45-50 while the Panther M10 can cruise around 55-60.

people never expect you to be so fast and bullying MT's at their own game in the TS is fun. 

and for greater memes you can run the gasoline.