Sign in to follow this  
Rexxie

Slow Heavies vs Flank Locks

I'm talking maps Cliff, Mountain Pass or Glacier while you're in something that struggles to break 30 kph.

One problem I have struggled with is how to counter the flank lock that can occur on these maps - Cliff, for example, can be almost completely locked down in 30 seconds if the north spawn cant contest the middle. Mountain Pass's western flank is literally unusable for south spawn if you don't have a light in the pit. Both teams' superheavies on Glacier are absolutely toast if the middle is uncontested.

Sometimes its obvious this is going to happen and you can adjust, but other times your teams' meds just happen to look the wrong way just long enough for your game to end a minute in. Personally, with EBRs, polish turbomeds, and turbocharger equipment, this is happening way more often than I'd like. How do you react when there's a chance you might get locked out of your flank? Do you just hedge your bets that your pubbies will be in the right location?

These are mostly map design flaws, Glacier specifically is so common (also the giant issue of northern heavy area being UPHILL on the way back making it impossible to respond to when it comes to de-capping while playing these same heavies) that I cannot fathom how a WG dev that plays the game (hopefully someone is) hasn't had this happen to him enough times to see the issue and raise the issue.(Karelia also has this de-capping issue while being a better map)

Mountain Pass is just a sucky map for slow heavies if you don't want to iceroad or pray to RNG you can make it south without dying (more common from south spawn) - only option left is mid which is a long firing line that rarely lets you do more than trade 1 for 1 in this type of tank. I don't think it's a problem because there has to be maps where other things than armour have higher value. I think this one's more of a suck it up when the dealer gave you a bad hand. Mountain Pass sucks in pretty much every tank, not just slow heavies. It sucks, but at least we're all in the same boat. 

Cliff issues could be fixed by literally getting the pre-HD model back and making the mountain corner at 1-2 line further north (so they reach it sooner and can contest it more often) to fix any Cliff issues whatsoever since there's still unintended climbs up that hill after literally 10+ patches of trying to remove it - speaking much to the competence of the balancing department

Well, i wait for answers :P

Im also lost on both glacier and cliff now, with any tank basically, glacier the heavy brawl zone is ``ok``, unless too much arty, or campers in the back, but the rest of the map seems random, random ppl in random bush, arty can strike almost everywhere and its incredible campy, all in all, so far, shit.

On cliff, im also totally lost, with anything, i used to brawl in the mid or fight around the tower, but with these td platforms and the by pass road, the map is crap, and mid (base of tower) seems awefull also.

Cliff seems to always get locked in a camp, and no real way to break it, so the most patient / lucky team wins, which is crap (i even swapped cliff for paris, i rather play paris as cliff now, go figure...)