Sign in to follow this  
Rexxie

Assault and Encounter in 2020

Do you have Encounter or Assault enabled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have Encounter or Assault enabled?

• Assault Enabled
    • Encounter Enabled
    • Both Enabled
    • Both DIsabled

I have both turned on. They add a bit of variety to the usual gameplay, although tbqh you should probably turn these off.

Just a note that having a map ban only bans the map for Standard mode.

I remember wishing I could ban standard battles on some maps when I was still playing. Siegfried Line and Karelia, for example, are horrible in standard layout. But I enjoyed both of them in assault. Map balance on some other maps is badly skewed in standard but fine in encounter...

All three modes will fuck you in some instance. Can’t see any reason to privilege standard mode over the other two and lose much needed variety in the process.

(You should add a Standard only pick to the poll as my platooning days taught me that a huge part of the playerbase keep everything but standard off)

Assault map pool is so much better than standard, so by enabling there aren't only dynamic gameplay changes (attack/defense is MUCH better for damage) the map pool for assault maps is considerably better than standard - making your total map pool a bit better overall. This goes for both attacking and defending.

The case of not being able to ban Erlenberg (or other bad maps with several modes making them even more common with all modes enabled) with any mode enabled but Standard sucks, but the map seems to have stabilised in meta (still sucks) and in typical WG fashion they made other maps more necessary to ban anyway, so it's kind of moot. 

Enabling Encounter for example practically doubles your chances of getting Prokh and Mali - but every goddamn encounter map (outside El Halluf) has cap circle or spawn point design flaws making them close to unplayable almost regardless of your actions. You can literally be firing on reload non-stop from battle start to finish and carry 14 people at the same time and still have absolutely zero chance of winning a Mines/Prokh/Erlen/Sand River and the list goes on. 

This is why I disabled encounter, I like the change in spawn and how it changes strong points of the map but if I play literally a perfect game and still lose out because there is no physical way for me to decap a Mines north cap rush when I spawn south without throwing my life away - it's the very definition of shit game design so I turned it off

I keep both enabled.  I find the maps play sufficiently different to make it enjoyable, although like standard you will still have teams that do not know how to deploy for winning and there are still a bad version or two.  The biggest downside is;  you will see the same maps more often, especially if they are also in the standard rotation.

Although not in the poll, I keep Grand Battles off.  I have never managed to get enough battles to learn the map well enough nor do I play T10 enough.  In my limited experience it's generally three corridors @ 10 vs 10 and not a "grand" battle at all.

I have them both off because people bitched the last time I was in a platoon, and I haven’t bothered to reenable them. I do enjoy Karelia assault from both sides. 

@kolni Which maps do you have banned?

3 hours ago, monjardin said:

I have them both off because people bitched the last time I was in a platoon, and I haven’t bothered to reenable them. I do enjoy Karelia assault from both sides. 

@kolni Which maps do you have banned?

Berlin and Kharkov, mainly because I can't make sense of them and make something happen and with how little I'm currently playing it's just easier to ban it out than to spend the effort seeing if it's actually worth the time (used to ban Minsk but contrary to my feeling about it it's my 5th highest avg map on performance this year in damage and winrate)

56 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

Encounter only, but i put on assault just to see it, its just that i HATE sand river assault (and it seems all the ghetto maps got remove from assault also..)

sand river assault has been gone since 2017... and it was the best map/mode combo for damage farming the game ever had and ever will from both sides until the fucktards added a ramp in the goddamn middle, and then it was still an awesome map compared to the norm)

19 minutes ago, kolni said:

sand river assault has been gone since 2017... and it was the best map/mode combo for damage farming the game ever had and ever will from both sides until the fucktards added a ramp in the goddamn middle, and then it was still an awesome map compared to the norm)

Which maps are it then atm? wiki says:

• Erlenberg
  • Karelia
  • Sand River
  • Siegfried Line

But no sand river?

(i remember Campinovka, where defend was sitting on the hill, westfield, where defend had to camp in village and attack had to cross the valley and get up on the other side, prok, where 1 team spawned on the hill and had to defend village, while the other side spawned forest road (crossing the rail is suchs fun when 5 tier x pre nerf tds are waiting on the other side) or sand river, where again 1 team could camp on the cliff, while the other team had to try and drive to a map corner, cross an open field and fight an enemy in a better position, also u all got spotted at the start and arty and tds could shoot in the spawn YOLOOOOLOLOLOL (goddamed what was that stupid)

what a relief if was you could turn that trash off...

even on t7 this was idiotic:

6 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

Which maps are it then atm? wiki says:

• Erlenberg
  • Karelia
  • Sand River
  • Siegfried Line

That's it, it's just Sand River that got removed.

I wanna see Assault Westfield and Prokh now, I only have vague memories of Prokh Assault but not Westfield lmao

12 hours ago, ZXrage said:

I wanna see Assault Westfield and Prokh now, I only have vague memories of Prokh Assault but not Westfield lmao

Westfield (village had to attack, gg...)

And the worst map of all time:

if defenders had a lot of tds, or arty, or a unicum platoon, it was 100% loose, unless they would all lemmingtrain 1 side (defending side attacking, in wot, on EU server, yeah, like how often is that gonna happpen...)

Toss in the awesome mm we had (with mega OP tds...) and its gonne be biiiig fun....

shot_007.thumb.jpg.3ec0db27470f8b60dad30faa6a9d1f0b.jpg

assault on because it can be interesting + siegfried especially can lead to good games (though it's a pity that they removed sand river assault during 1.0), encounter off because prok/mines fastcaps get old quick

I put Assault on if I am playing lights or paper meds because there are some good spotting options.

Can't stand encounter because too often people just cap and no one does anything about it, so you either shout out your useless team for capping or you have to go yolo in your paper med in front of 5 tanks whilst your heavies twiddle their thumbs.

And some of the encounter maps are just terrible so its not worth the extra chance of getting Prohk or Malinovka. 

Encounter would be fine I think if they made it so the base cap didn't work for the first 5 minutes, so idiotic bots that just want to go sit in a white circle don't end the game early. 

7 hours ago, tajj7 said:

And some of the encounter maps are just terrible so its not worth the extra chance of getting Prohk or Malinovka. 

I enable encounter for this exact reason.

Mines is shit but not bannable even if I had encounter off (north spawn = easy farm on encounter), but the rest of the map pool I like have double the chances of seeing it:

• Prok - top 5 map for tanks I like to play (high tier meds)
  • Mali - top 10 map, with potential for stupidly high dmg games. Downside vs Prok is more team dependent.
  • Steppes is actually better on encounter, as you either farm 1/2 (particularly from the OP south bush) as everyone spawns much closer to it, or farm the cap. Either way, fun and easy damage games are plentiful.
  • Lakeville - again, encounter is better than standard, as teams can't just camp their base and let the enemy come to them. 
  • Himmels and Ensk - both tank dependent, but both (especially Himmels) can lead to instant early game farms in the right tank
  • El Halluf - probably the map least effected meta-wise by it being encounter. Plays pretty much the same regardless, and that is a good thing as this is again one of the better maps.
  • Sand River - fucking great on encounter. Maybe the best one?
  • Ruinberg - good map (not as good as some of the others listed), but would rather increase the chances of this vs some of the standard only maps e.g. Studz, Kharkov, Minsk etc.
  • Murovanka - top 5 map again, in the right tank.
  • Redshire - top 3 map?
  • Cliff - again, acts as a retard prevention device, as 1/2 camp all game becomes useless. Pubbies still do it, but hey, what can you do?

Assault is more hit and miss (Erlenberg, eurgh), but I still have it turned on because: 1) As @kolni notes, the mode is better for damage farming; and 2) it makes Karelia and Ghost Town, 2 meh maps normally, reliable damage farms nearly every game when you get it on Assault.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:37 AM, ZXrage said:

No, Ghost Town has assault. Otherwise it's right. Kharkov has also had attack/defense but I'm not sure if that ever went public outside of 7v7. Wasn't too stupid honestly. Maps designed today can't really work with assault modes because they are too crammed with shit everywhere to change the gameplay of the map even if you place the spawn points elsewhere. (How would Paris look if spawns were north and south? Think about it and you'll see what I mean).

Furthering on @Snoregasm2 's (mostly valid points, I agree with about 90% with the assessments) post and here's how I feel per map (I don't have the list of all of 'em, so I am just doing this by memory, feel free to point one I missed out and I will add it). I'm doing the Stnd + Encounter's first, Stnd + Assault's after and the one's with all 3 last.

Prokh: Exists in 2 modes - downside on encounter being it's brain dead cappable and without hill contestion from south (have the balls to cross the rail mid when you see an opening if cap is running low to pro-long even if it puts you in a worse position for damage), it's hard to deal with from one spawn but generally a good game regardless which makes the map put an overall total positive to having encounter enabled for doubling the odds of getting the map (more particularly getting it more times when it's in rotation - this is info is hard to do anything with as a player but make the judgment call. Statistically this map has 4 possitibilies with 2 spawns in 2 modes, and only one of them is problematic - 75% chance of setting you up for a good game. Makes it a plus for enabling encounter. 

Mali: Encounter mode saves everyone the trouble of the 2 minute drive up the hill and if you're in something slow you can still get in there and make a difference - positive. Negative being 80% of map is basically neglected and putting the cap circle B8 (uncontestable unless you get map control or win hill) could solve it. At the mercy of arty while playing hill on both modes. Encounter is more predictable, so it's in my eyes a better version of the map as it also gives you a way to win without having to break a 1line bushwank camp and other balance problems. Another point in the encounter enable bucket.

Steppes: Better in every way on encounter, I have 5k+ reliably regardless of tank pick close to every time I get it in 9s and up. Better than it's standard counterpart because of how BS they made A9 and H0 and so on... spawning further away from that drivel is better. + Encounter yet again. 

Ensk: Different spin on a map with very much variance. You have great games, you have really shit games. Ensk encounter doesn't seem to be anyone's favourite but I have yet to see it banned unless you are playing lights. I am not fond of it, I like standard Ensk better as it gives more tank types a chance to be viable so I'd say encounter is a negative here - although a small one I would rather have 1 Ensk draw in the map pool than 2.

Mines: Do I even need to say it? HUGE negative, map is playable on standard so having that one in your map pool isn't bad but having the encounter one really is as 50% of the time you will have little to no control over the game. The other 50 isn't worth the shitshow of south spawn as it isn't good enough to make up for it. 

Ruinberg: They fucked it by adding south inclusion into the mid road making field impossible to play if just one tank with a strong turret makes it here from one side. Encounter version used to be free farm before they changed the spawns and the middle road dividing the territory - negative. Still playable and not a huge problem to have in your map pool but north spawn in paper meds is impossible with a middle window rush from south. You get the crossing damage but after that you can't play anywhere else but A-line buildings at the base with your TDs for the rest of the game. I would rather have the 1 standard Ruin in my map pool than both even though I think the map is better on average.

El Halluf: Plays almost identically outside the fact that lights are contesting the base early making it more likely for either team to dive into the northwest "dip" for resets and commit harder to winning the flank - different dynamic that makes the other parts of the map more relevant (you can play almost any area but north is always a safe bet for a place with enough damage to get a good game - if you play it right. Positive to have two versions that play similarly and is a good map, doubling your chances of getting it is IMO good in almost any tank. 

Sand River: This is good, nice twist and changes the dynamic of the map for not necessarily the better but at least a refresher -doubling odds of appearing is good even though I would rate the encounter map above the standard in quality which is a bigger plus to enabling the mode than not since standard can't be turned off (I would if I could).

Empire's Border: fuck this map in any shape or form - huge negative to double appearance rate

Cliff: I used to love this map, 1.0 fucked it. Encounter gameplay is the same as Standard except mid + donut contestion is higher which makes it even worse to play. Encounter negative.

Redshire: Another redshire in my map pool? Heck yeah - dmg to farm almost regardless of how shit your team is, positive

Murovanka: Big positive, map with huge big game potential and that doesn't change with encounter - the only real difference is that south spawn will reliably contest the forest and the game is typically won there rather than seeing which flank gets to clean up and surround the other team - better on encounter while still good standard. Doubling it is good.

Lakeville: Bad map through and through IMO, cap is awkwardly placed (as a single player you can't defend since you have to cover multiple angles which isn't possible unless you have teammates backing you up) - negative to double, by quite a large margin too imo

Himmels: Encounter is fine, standard is better but encounter isn't bad enough to warrant having it off IMO - it's still Himmelsdorf and it's 2020 - the map has had a great WR in both pub and pro games in balance terms, while you might not like playing it the map is fairly designed for both sides leaving you with your own choices to have a good game, but they're never gonna run into to you for free like other maps. Is positive/negative depending on your tank pick, the worse gun the worse the map is IMO. 

(I have memory of both Kharkov. Minsk, Overlord, and Mannerheim Line (Arctic Region) having encounter modes but I haven't gotten them in so long and after turning the mode off I can't honestly say whether they've been removed long ago or if I just imagined it, I also remember Karelia but that might be from the Domination mode)

Take this into consideration with enabling encounter that you can't ban any of these maps if you want efficient map bans with the mode enabled. Cliff, Lakeville, Empire and Mines all make up for too many negatives for my taste to warrant having the mode enabled despite other maps' positives so it's not worth the hassle IMO. If I could specifically just use a ban on Mines and Empire Encounter I would enable the mode again. 

Just Standard/assault:

Karelia: Fun to play, nice spin on the standard map and while the middle rush on assault needs balancing - still better than much out there. Worth keeping. This is the only map with these two modes.. right? I'm drawing blank on the rest. Anyway, the dynamic on this map ends up with the clock having a bigger impact than normal making this one of the best map/mode combos from both spawns to have literally insane games. 20% of my best games ever have been on this map on the attacking side, and I find it consistent as a defender too (less, but still consistent)

All 3 modes:

Siegfried Line: Standard is the worst version, Encounter feels like a real fight over a city - themery suits it well for an encounter which has little to do with gameplay but pure logic makes it a positive. It's a bit in the same line of thinking of how who would build a castle on Redshire where it is when you have a hill with a fucking moat and a mountainside covering your back 800m away. Has fuck all to do with game balance but it just doesn't make sense and Siegfried encounter instead does this well. 

The Assault mode is my favourite map on both sides, defending by far in the game - over Prokh any day. It's also thematically good - it's a literal assault on a city you're defending and balanced well. I considered banning this to get the regular Siegfried out of my map pool but keep the other two. This one alone makes assault worthwhile since the pool is small and all maps but one are good.

Ghost Town: Normal is iffy, encounter is better and assault is great from one side and so-so from the other. Mixed bag but they are farmable maps for sure, you can rotate and prolong games easily and squeeze damage out on any mode and it is mirrored on standard, making it an interesting twist on assault while not exactly fair, makes it come down to mind-games on where you think people are going to go for upping your chances of a successful game. I like mind games. 

Erlenberg: Oh god. If bans took all 3 versions out this'd be perma'd and never unbanned again for me - but since I play it because I favour assault I might as well play it standard as it's fairly similar when I can't get rid of it anyway. Encounter sucks. 

Overall conclusion:

For variety you should pick every mode and ban whatever standard map fucks the tank you're going to play the next 4 hours over (Pilsen, Berlin, Abbey, Airfield, Minsk and Kharkov being my rotation depending on tank picks)

For maximizing your odds of a favourable map/matchup I suggest turning encounter off - too many scenarios that end up shit with nothing to do about it. There's great maps here - the shit just ones just suck so fucking much it outweighs the good. I suggest turning assault on, learning how to live with Erlenberg and make the most out of those games once you get them (rare these days).  

Standard is still the worst mode in the game, 20 maps need severe reworks to even be considered playable with their design flaws. I miss the two days of a patch where you could actually cut standard out of your queue and only play assault if you wanted. Best fucking fun in WoT I've ever had getting Sand River assault every third game. That was some fucking fun. 

When it comes to banning maps I recommend banning the tilter over the statistically least performing map - if you contain yourself to playing a tank per session then ban the map you will get mad at seeing load up (Pilsen, Minsk, Studzi, Airfield, Cliff, and so on) over something typically hard to play out (like Mountain Pass) as you want to limit the maps where you can't impact the game without either throwing HP away (Pilsen campfest until someone rushes the 0 line feel familiar to anybody?) and instead just bite the bullet and make your map pool give you as many effective chances to a good game as possible. IMO that means taking the tricky map over the bad map every day of the week. 

I generally ban Berlin and Kharkov because I'm lazy, hate the designs and don't want to learn the shitty maps in the first place, swap Kharkov out for Abbey if I'm playing a TD or Airfield if triple arty is impossible to elude on the day)

On 8/7/2020 at 5:58 PM, Snoregasm2 said:

I enable encounter for this exact reason.

Mines is shit but not bannable even if I had encounter off (north spawn = easy farm on encounter), but the rest of the map pool I like have double the chances of seeing it:

• Prok - top 5 map for tanks I like to play (high tier meds)
  • Mali - top 10 map, with potential for stupidly high dmg games. Downside vs Prok is more team dependent.
  • Steppes is actually better on encounter, as you either farm 1/2 (particularly from the OP south bush) as everyone spawns much closer to it, or farm the cap. Either way, fun and easy damage games are plentiful.
  • Lakeville - again, encounter is better than standard, as teams can't just camp their base and let the enemy come to them. 
  • Himmels and Ensk - both tank dependent, but both (especially Himmels) can lead to instant early game farms in the right tank
  • El Halluf - probably the map least effected meta-wise by it being encounter. Plays pretty much the same regardless, and that is a good thing as this is again one of the better maps.
  • Sand River - fucking great on encounter. Maybe the best one?
  • Ruinberg - good map (not as good as some of the others listed), but would rather increase the chances of this vs some of the standard only maps e.g. Studz, Kharkov, Minsk etc.
  • Murovanka - top 5 map again, in the right tank.
  • Redshire - top 3 map?
  • Cliff - again, acts as a retard prevention device, as 1/2 camp all game becomes useless. Pubbies still do it, but hey, what can you do?

Assault is more hit and miss (Erlenberg, eurgh), but I still have it turned on because: 1) As @kolni notes, the mode is better for damage farming; and 2) it makes Karelia and Ghost Town, 2 meh maps normally, reliable damage farms nearly every game when you get it on Assault.

All of which is irrelevant if someone caps out in 3 minutes on Encounter, which happens far too often IMO. 

I actually disabled both a couple of years back because I figured I wanted to focus on just trying to get better at learning the meta in standard battles, and to be honest, have kind of forgotten both modes still exist. Might throw them back on to spice things up again, although my memory of encounter battles in particular isn't great due to lots of stupid early caps.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:46 AM, tajj7 said:

All of which is irrelevant if someone caps out in 3 minutes on Encounter, which happens far too often IMO. 

I have both enabled, and in my last 1333 battles (on which I am taking notes) 220 were encounter. 30 of those were won/lost by capping. That is 13.6%. 11 (0.5%) of those battles finished under 4 minutes (none under 3) - but only 4 of those 11 were through cap (0.018% of the total).

By comparison Standard battles had a 9.5% cap rate. 0.02% under 4 minutes (none under 3 here either) and 0.002% by cap under 4 minutes.

So, yeah, clearly happens more often on encounter, even though it's not super-often.