Rexxie

Unconventional WoT Opinions 3

9 hours ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Slow speed 703 is a myth. Fucker needs to have a 30kph top speed.

I run Turbo on my 703.

15 hours ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

If you want to play with the 128, just play the Maus.

Actually, the Maus 128 is worse. If I want to play the 128, I play the E-75.

23 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

I've never played the 703, and have 3 marked the Defender fwiw, and I would say the Defender has insane carry potential, even if not top tier. It has chunky alpha, OP armour if used correctly and if dug in well can be almost impossible to dislodge, particularly in tier 8 games. It is also idiot-proof in that sense, as you can survive by angling like an idiot and letting Stalin protect you.

I know I would much rather fight a 703 9 times out of 10. The 1 other time is if I'm 700 HP or less, as then it is hard to know if you will get double tapped or not.

Whether it's better or not I can't really say without playing both, but what swings it I guess for most people is the Defender is BORING to play. OP, but so fucking boring. The only exception to this is when gun handling makes it frustrating rather than boring, but the slow aim time, slow speed, monotonous playstyle (bully boi) means the 703, by comparison, is a breath of fresh air.

Still have 703 in my garage, Defender got sold long time ago.
There are very few tier 8+ tanks I hated playing more than Defender, yeah the armor is stronk, but EVERYTHING else is only pain and suffering, what an absolute stinking pile of shit.
703 has mobility and gun handling that makes the Defender seem like, well, a Defender, as that's probably the most uncomfortable gun handling and mobility I've played with.

I hate the Defender so much!

Guess that's an unconventional opinion.

1 hour ago, CandyVanMan said:

There are very few tier 8+ tanks I hated playing more than Defender, yeah the armor is stronk, but EVERYTHING else is only pain and suffering, what an absolute stinking pile of shit.
703 has mobility and gun handling that makes the Defender seem like, well, a Defender, as that's probably the most uncomfortable gun handling and mobility I've played with.

Same here tbh. It's just not fun to play. 

2 hours ago, CandyVanMan said:

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

Same here tbh. It's just not fun to play. 

I agree it's boring as fuck. But boring and strong are two very different things.

Regardless of whether the 703 is better or not, the Defender is up there right at the top of the class of tier 8 tanks. 

40 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

I agree it's boring as fuck. But boring and strong are two very different things.

Regardless of whether the 703 is better or not, the Defender is up there right at the top of the class of tier 8 tanks. 

Might be one of the better ones, but I would play any other tier 8 heavy over it.

It is so horribly unpleasant to play.

2 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

I get that Boring and Strong are 2 different things. I am a supporter of Ferdinand as a strong tank. All I'm saying it with high skill level Defender stops being so strong because you can't punch through as easily as you can with the 703. OP and OP in the hands of Unicums are 2 diffeerent things. Defender is op because a pubbie can do a lot of damage and not die since pubbies have trouble with dying when they try to do shit but all the tanks where unis win a lot are amazing at dealing damage and defendor isn't. 

Everyone over 47% winrate does better in the 703 II than the defender, its clearly not a hard tank to play, but otherwise yeah, we're just talking about two busted tanks here. They both represent some of the most broken tanks in the game, it's just... the 703 is even more broken. I don't think anyone is trying to say the defender is bad, it just feels bad to play.

2 hours ago, Rexxie said:

Everyone over 47% winrate does better in the 703 II than the defender, its clearly not a hard tank to play, but otherwise yeah, we're just talking about two busted tanks here. They both represent some of the most broken tanks in the game, it's just... the 703 is even more broken. I don't think anyone is trying to say the defender is bad, it just feels bad to play.

I think it might be the same old IS-4/Maus/Chrylser/VK thing where those tanks actually overperform by a significant margin despite being/feeling shit to play, especially for unicums who value reliability and flex over everything else. And the Defender might still be better at winning if you try hard enough.

For example, there's a strat in Frontline where you simply load Engineering and rush the caps while in platoons and what happens is that more often than not there actually isn't anything that can dislodge your Speshul Circle of Spergery. That's for Frontlines not pubs obviously, but there are things that you can do with the armour scheme of the Defender which you simply cannot pull off in a 703. 

Now then, hot take of the day:

Tier 8 is more fun than Tier 9 these days

1 hour ago, lavawing said:

Tier 8 is more fun than Tier 9/10 these days

even tho tier 8 isnt balanced by any means, i tend to have more fun/engaging games at the tier now when compared to the shit show that is tier 10 and even tier 9 at this point.

also tier 9 is starting to fall more and more out of its place as the "most balanced tier"  with more and more reward 9's being added and old 9's getting some questionable buffs (E75) 

I don't play much anymore, but the few times I recently played I realized why I don't like the game as much as I did a few years ago.  There aren't enough tanks in the games, as in *tanks*.  I distinctly remember a recent game with 7 TDs and 3 arty on each team.  5 actual tanks per team, and luckily there weren't any wheelies in that game. 

The bush-wookie meta has arisen for a lot of reasons that you guys probably understand far better than me, but at the root of it I like playing tanks, actual tanks (mostly medium tanks) and right now it seems like most players just want to hide in a bush and chuck giant HE and HESH rounds and anything that dares to get spotted.

I'm sure Kolni can exploit the shit out of this meta and farm 4k dpg from those bushes all day, but for a hyper-aggro pubby like me that just wants to drive to the middle of the map and brawl, the game isn't very fun right now. 

9 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

even tho tier 8 isnt balanced by any means, i tend to have more fun/engaging games at the tier now when compared to the shit show that is tier 10 and even tier 9 at this point.

also tier 9 is starting to fall more and more out of its place as the "most balanced tier"  with more and more reward 9's being added and old 9's getting some questionable buffs (E75) 

tier 8 isn't balanced, and that's why I think it is.

by and large, people play 8s to grind silver and they do it in the broken prems of their choice. there are more broken prems than there aren't and the tech tree tanks people do play, e.g. Roomba, 53TP, Charioteer, are very strong anyway, strong enough that full tier 8 games feel like tier 8.5.

basically, when everyone is overpowered, no one is. (god have mercy on your soul if you're grinding a 110 or smth)

the second thing that makes 8s better is that it's less campy. people are playing prems, and they're there to make bank not minimise loss as is what tends to happen at the higher tiers. therefore they're a lot more liberal with their HP and are mostly willing to go with quick risky plays that maximise reward if it all works out. people over-extend all the time at this tier, like what used to happen with 9s as well, and you have to over extend a certain amount to counter those fast pushes.

third thing is less arty presence, which I think is a result of people playing 8s for the credits, because tier 8 games are too fast for arty to do much, and because there aren't any good tier 8 arty, or at least as good as the abomination that is the M53/55.

OTOH I don't think tier 9 balance is any worse than it used to be, at least not bad enough to seriously affect gameplay. none of the reward tanks expect the 50t are actually straight upgrades over their techtree counterparts (e.g. the AE Phase 1 is worse than the post buff M103, I reckon). What makes it shit to play is people spamming big alpha TDs and arty and other HE spammers. The TD/HE spam happened because of the removal of silver-pennable weakspots from heavies, and people now had to find a way to negate armour. The T-10 used to be ultra strong around 2 years ago when people were still stingy with gold and HE spamming was not much of a thing. Usually, mediums would counter TDs, but with corridors and 1.0 bushes that's harder than ever. It goes back to @Archaic_One;s gripe with there not being many real tanks around. Why play real tanks when you get punished for it? 

Tier 9 MM is also much rougher than before thanks to tier 8 only games being the norm now. You get pulled to tier 10 around half the time these days and that's never a recipe for fun, between the increased arty/TD presence at tier 10, and the unpennable reward vics like the 279 and the Chieftain.

Due to the MM changes, support oriented tier 9s seem to have aged better than the bullies. I don't play enough 9s these days to be sure.

I hate HE-spam more than prem-spam and maybe more than arty (but not as much as I hate wheelies).
The FV-4005 is just unfun to play against. Not broken or OP or anything, just unfun. Probably not fun to drive either.

Sigma nerf ruined the game.

Another sigma nerf with 1.0 (I swear this happened) made it nearly unplayable for me.

The IS-4 got buffed only because equipment gives it extra HP now.

Tier 10 is the worst it has ever been.

+4/-2 mm was better than the current iteration on NA.

Aggressive play has never been less rewarding and it ruins any enjoyment I might have gotten out of coming back.

12 hours ago, lavawing said:

I think it might be the same old IS-4/Maus/Chrylser/VK thing where those tanks actually overperform by a significant margin despite being/feeling shit to play, especially for unicums who value reliability and flex over everything else. And the Defender might still be better at winning if you try hard enough.

For example, there's a strat in Frontline where you simply load Engineering and rush the caps while in platoons and what happens is that more often than not there actually isn't anything that can dislodge your Speshul Circle of Spergery. That's for Frontlines not pubs obviously, but there are things that you can do with the armour scheme of the Defender which you simply cannot pull off in a 703. 

Now then, hot take of the day:

Tier 8 is more fun than Tier 9 these days

T8 only MM is different. 

On 8/13/2020 at 12:14 PM, CandyVanMan said:

Bought the 703 and first impressions are distinctly wondering what gun handling people mean. Even with vert stabs and GLD this thing isn't better than the Defender. In fact, it feels worse than the Defender. It is a bit more mobile though.

29 minutes ago, Private_Miros said:

Bought the 703 and first impressions are distinctly wondering what gun handling people mean. Even with vert stabs and GLD this thing isn't better than the Defender. In fact, it feels worse than the Defender. It is a bit more mobile though.

try vents, stab and IRD. there's something inherently wonky about the dual guns which is why WG gave them best in tier bloom to compensate

1 hour ago, Private_Miros said:

1 hour ago, lavawing said:

try vents, stab and IRD. there's something inherently wonky about the dual guns which is why WG gave them best in tier bloom to compensate

Just seen this. Considering buying it - is it genuinely fun to play in tier 8 randoms (seen as though FL is in the distant future)?

Also, did it used to have a rammer and it got removed, like the Italians, or did it never have one to begin with?

What does the view range max out with vents/good crew? I know Russian heavies are usually a bad choice for any kind of optics but I hate being blind, particularly at tier 8 where you can carry 9 times out of 10 due to the vehicle imbalance/pubbies skill level.

51 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Just seen this. Considering buying it - is it genuinely fun to play in tier 8 randoms (seen as though FL is in the distant future)?

Also, did it used to have a rammer and it got removed, like the Italians, or did it never have one to begin with?

What does the view range max out with vents/good crew? I know Russian heavies are usually a bad choice for any kind of optics but I hate being blind, particularly at tier 8 where you can carry 9 times out of 10 due to the vehicle imbalance/pubbies skill level.

A. It is genuinely fun to play, mobile, minimal turret bloom, and hard hitting

B. Never had a rammer

C.  350 base VR, so even with optics/vents/food/crew you're struggling. I run vents/VS/turbooooo on mine.

52 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Not sure what IRD is, there is no equipement with those initials? Hardening, IRM?

Currently running hardening/VS/GLD, but also considering Vents and Turbo replacing hardening or GLD. Not convinced about the added value of the IRM.

It never had a rammer, and it's blind in any case, so not worth to gimp it from very blind to definitely near sighted.

Seems fun enough, even though teams are horrible so far and there isn't much more to shoot after 5 or 6 shots... Just doesn't seem better than Defender in the gun handling department so far.

22 minutes ago, Private_Miros said:

Not sure what IRD is, there is no equipement with those initials? Hardening, IRM?

Currently running hardening/VS/GLD, but also considering Vents and Turbo replacing hardening or GLD. Not convinced about the added value of the IRM.

It never had a rammer, and it's blind in any case, so not worth to gimp it from very blind to definitely near sighted.

Seems fun enough, even though teams are horrible so far and there isn't much more to shoot after 5 or 6 shots... Just doesn't seem better than Defender in the gun handling department so far.

IRM it is. Brainfart on my part. IRM is not just for the bloom which on this tank is overkill but also for the faster traverse. turbo boosts traverse as well, but not by as much. 

1 hour ago, Snoregasm2 said:

I don't think you can outspot anything ever, but the 703 isn't fast, small, or armoured enough to do spotting the IS-3/Defender way, so you might actually get some mileage out of optics.

And it is OP as balls, but I personally can't stomach slow tanks with blunderbusses. If you want something that's equally OP but not at all frustrating I'd wait for the Renegade.

34 minutes ago, lavawing said:

IRM it is. Brainfart on my part. IRM is not just for the bloom which on this tank is overkill but also for the faster traverse. turbo boosts traverse as well, but not by as much. 

I don't think you can outspot anything ever, but the 703 isn't fast, small, or armoured enough to do spotting the IS-3/Defender way, so you might actually get some mileage out of optics.

And it is OP as balls, but I personally can't stomach slow tanks with blunderbusses. If you want something that's equally OP but not at all frustrating I'd wait for the Renegade.

I've just checked, the view range is the same as the Defender, which means it tops out over 400 with a good crew without optics, which is fine. I just hate anything sub-400, as you can get farmed for free late game. I wouldn't spot per se in it even with optics, I just build for maximum farming, which for me usually means living longer as aggression right now equates to shitty DPG.

I have the Renegade, and I don't find it that fun. I get it, great gun handling and DPM, but the weak armour/slow top speed combo annoys the hell out of me. I only played it pre-1.10, so I guess it works better with Turbo?

I realised that is an unconventional opinion - I don't really enjoy the Renegade that much. Everytime you get 2.5k dmg you just feel like you would have done more in either a Progetto, Bourrasque etc., or if you get farmed in the turret/hull, a Defender.