Rexxie

Polar Marathon - Object 274a

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/polar-challenge-announcement-1120/

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/polar-challenge/

274a on tanks.gg

object1.d8be45.png

Anyone plan on working through this? Changes from LIS Challenge:

• "Missions for Mastery" can be completed at T9 again!
  • No credit boosters unless you get the tank :(
  • The later missions for mastery are slightly harder and entirely damage focused.
  • Less rewards from buying it early. Less credit boosters, fewer manuals, no universal fragments, just a few x5s and crew boosters added.

More than last time, I highly recommend you get it at 60-80% off if you want to buy it, there's even less of a reason to get it beforehand.

These marathons have always been ridiculous grind-fests and they only seem to get more ridiculous every time, with higher base XP requirements and lower overall rewards. The only reason it still works is because they keep on stuffing OP tier 8 premiums behind these grinds. I know I will never complete any decent portion of them (best I typically manage is a 50% discount) so I increasingly just don't bother.

While lootboxes in general are an absolute bane to gaming, at least WG gives minimum gold equivalent value for them at Christmas, and they remain far and away the best value thing you can buy from them (although that value has been decreasing each year too), and they still feel like a better overall use of your actual cash, if nothing else to raise gold to buy other things.

1 hour ago, PityFool said:

Haha visa card go brrrrrrr

Do you have a minute to talk about MasterCard?

2 hours ago, PityFool said:

Sounds american

So American it gives PatriotPerks™ with every purchase.

6 hours ago, Balthazars said:

While lootboxes in general are an absolute bane to gaming, at least WG gives minimum gold equivalent value for them at Christmas, and they remain far and away the best value thing you can buy from them (although that value has been decreasing each year too), and they still feel like a better overall use of your actual cash, if nothing else to raise gold to buy other things.

this is something ive been worried about ever since last year, marathons get harder and harder but its w/e. 

but them slowly nerfing lootboxes each year is pretty shit, and they think no one will notice. all while they continue to lock brand new tanks/mechanics behind it. lootboxes are the best thing this game has ever seen outside of maybe Frontline (for the sake of credits). but soon enough even that will prob be shitty in terms of value 

At my current rate I should hit 80% right before the event ends. At first I played exclusively T9, but it became pretty clear that going for Mastery is completely useless without some incredible luck. Even as a superuni exclusively playing T9, I couldn't manage to complete any but the most basic of mastery missions before hitting the XP milestones.

Some early (and very low sample) tank curves for the 274a and a couple meta T8 meds:

image.png

Played my first couple with it yesterday. Basically as per all the reviews. Also clearly at this point it's mostly good players in it and doing well. 1180 raw was a 3rd class on sea.

35 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Played my first couple with it yesterday. Basically as per all the reviews. Also clearly at this point it's mostly good players in it and doing well. 1180 raw was a 3rd class on sea.

I’ve had 1500xp 1st Classes at this point, so I’d say you are correct. 

Just played a few games in this and...

Holy crap, 2nd class for 1200+ something base XP, with 4.6k direct dmg and 1254 assistance dmg.
3rd class for 1021 base XP

Yep... not gonna Ace this thing any time soon. And I can completely forget about 3 Marking it. 

So yeah... my first impressions (3 games in) correlate with these results... it feels VERY powerful and played at insanely good levels.

MAYBE a 5k damage against tier 10s is good enough for Ace Tanker

54 minutes ago, Fedaykin89 said:

Just played a few games in this and...

Holy crap, 2nd class for 1200+ something base XP, with 4.6k direct dmg and 1254 assistance dmg.
3rd class for 1021 base XP

Yep... not gonna Ace this thing any time soon. And I can completely forget about 3 Marking it. 

So yeah... my first impressions (3 games in) correlate with these results... it feels VERY powerful and played at insanely good levels.

MAYBE a 5k damage against tier 10s is good enough for Ace Tanker

But some CCs said it wasn’t very good! Situationally it is great. You just have to make sure you aren’t caught out. Like most tanks. 

22 minutes ago, TPT924 said:

But some CCs said it wasn’t very good! Situationally it is great. You just have to make sure you aren’t caught out. Like most tanks. 

Yeah... I think one of my first reactions was "didn't Skill say this thing is not so good, with standard equipment at least?"

He kind of changed his mind after toying a bit with bounty/improved eq., but still...

44 minutes ago, Fedaykin89 said:

Yeah... I think one of my first reactions was "didn't Skill say this thing is not so good, with standard equipment at least?"

He kind of changed his mind after toying a bit with bounty/improved eq., but still...

From watching it he tried a normal set up, did ok but found it slow driving up the himmels hill. Then went full ham with turbo but no vstab and noted the gun bloom... like derr... so reverted to improved equipment. Normal vents vstab rammer / optics vstab rammer and it seems fine.

44 minutes ago, Ezz said:

From watching it he tried a normal set up, did ok but found it slow driving up the himmels hill. Then went full ham with turbo but no vstab and noted the gun bloom... like derr... so reverted to improved equipment. Normal vents vstab rammer / optics vstab rammer and it seems fine.

Well... just decided to go a bit HAM myself and put on Improved Vert. Stab... I'm 1500 bonds short (kinda went on a semi-hiatus, didn't participate in FL, RB or whatever gives you loads of bonds these days, so only had about 8200 at the time being) from slapping on Improved Vents as well.

Would still take this tank's gun handling over the Pz 58 Mutz... which despite having better overall accuracy, I'm really having a way harder time racking up damage in that thing (granted, it has 300 DPM handicap against the the 274a to boot... so much for lower dmg -> higher DPM rule)

Then again, I only have 3 games in this thing and a few dozen games in the Mutz so far, so I probably slipped in some sort of weird, flawed meta in the German MT... but I still swear that farming people is EZ mode in this thing

l.e.: with Improved Vents and no Food (because 1) I want to use this thing as a credit earning premium... and 1k shell cots isn't helping 2) don't wanna play around with the chance to be set on fire in a RU MT) I think I should be able to drop the reload under 7 seconds... if not, Rammer Directive should definitely do the job

l.l.e.: no, I don't know why I'm drawing a parallel to the Mutz specifically... maybe because I tend to suck in it thus I dislike it - even though, by all stats, it should be all around the way more flexible tank

I just got mine... grinded it out completely (i was quarantined, as I dared to visit my family in "risky area", and refused to take the test, because fuck them). 

Just played 2 games, first one with regular equipment, and noticed that gun handling is atrocious (and I put 5.5 skills crew in it). 2nd game i put improved (vstab, rotation and vents). Gun handling is much better, and I had quite good game. 1100 base xp for 3rd class on EU :)

With improved equipment i like it quite a lot. And yes, no rammer. The DPM is useless the moment you miss a shot. 

its a completely P2W tank in all aspects

with F2P equipment it can be strong still, but has two very obvious drawbacks: mobility and gun handling. 

slap on some bounty/purple equipment+ food?, and the gun handling issue is mostly solved. throw on a turbo? and the mobility issue is mostly solved. i personally for go the turbo for the gunhandling improvement, with purple Vstab/vents/rammer+food.

the tank is stupidly strong once min/maxed, and im currently holding 2800 DPG, which is decently above my avg tier 8 dmg. only tanks i have that can compare to that are the 703 II (2800, 100+ games) and the emil 1945 (2700, but small sample size).

id also like to note that out of all the recent tier 8 premiums to enter Supertest in the past 2-3 months (GSOR/Progetto 71/122TM/274a/Charlemagne/K-91-2 ect.) ONLY the 274a was not nerfed or touched/changed in anyway going from SuperTest to CommonTest to Live 

15k, then i either buy it (or not) im a bit in doubt, it looks strong when facing it, but the bloom is chinese lvls of bad (without the raw power to compensate)

So not sure if i want it

3 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

its a completely P2W tank in all aspects

with F2P equipment it can be strong still, but has two very obvious drawbacks: mobility and gun handling. 

slap on some bounty/purple equipment+ food?, and the gun handling issue is mostly solved. throw on a turbo? and the mobility issue is mostly solved. i personally for go the turbo for the gunhandling improvement, with purple Vstab/vents/rammer+food.

the tank is stupidly strong once min/maxed, and im currently holding 2800 DPG, which is decently above my avg tier 8 dmg. only tanks i have that can compare to that are the 703 II (2800, 100+ games) and the emil 1945 (2700, but small sample size).

id also like to note that out of all the recent tier 8 premiums to enter Supertest in the past 2-3 months (GSOR/Progetto 71/122TM/274a/Charlemagne/K-91-2 ect.) ONLY the 274a was not nerfed or touched/changed in anyway going from SuperTest to CommonTest to Live 

that, and only 1.2K hp to work with I guess

https://gunmarks.poliroid.ru/

damage-wise, CS-52 outperforms it on all servers rn but this will clearly be the more obnoxious to fight

also the T-44-100 is still (somehow) competitive despite having to deal with such low pen and alpha

of course, if you compare it to the heavies it's only the Renegade which gets higher DPGs, which, considering that this thing isn't very optimised for dealing damage (bad bloom/gundep issues) is still plenty absurd.

sometimes when I get that urge to log in to WoT I find that going on wotlabs usually does the trick.

1 hour ago, lavawing said:

damage-wise, CS-52 outperforms it on all servers rn but this will clearly be the more obnoxious to fight

also the T-44-100 is still (somehow) competitive despite having to deal with such low pen and alpha

of course, if you compare it to the heavies it's only the Renegade which gets higher DPGs, which, considering that this thing isn't very optimised for dealing damage (bad bloom/gundep issues) is still plenty absurd.

sometimes when I get that urge to log in to WoT I find that going on wotlabs usually does the trick.

As has been mentioned, if you “try hard” with some improved equipment the gun performance really isn’t an issue. There are plenty of people playing it with normal equipment and you can definitely tell when they miss you. Improved equipment = pretty comfortable to play. 

1 hour ago, lavawing said:

1.2k HP isnt great, but its armor somewhat offsets that, ive noticed my avg dmg blocked in the tank is about 300 higher than most of my other MT's. thought this could be inflated due to it being brand new.

the 44-100 is still competitive because the chassis is insane, its basically a LT with slightly above avg armor for a MT, tier 10 MT  gun handling, and good camo. and for a 250 alpha gun compared to similar alpha mediums its rof/dpm is high. also you just spam gold to offset the pen issues lol