Rexxie

WoT 2021 Plans - Devstream Information

On 12/13/2020 at 7:23 PM, Assassin7 said:

I personally dont think so.

WoWSs crew system is too full of gimmicks and things that dont work/apply to WoT, and only works well in ships because that entire game revolves around gimmicks. 

E.g: gives your vehicle literally more health.

Gives your HE shells directly higher pen.

Allow you to see the general grid square of the closest enemy to you

Etc etc.

Things like this just feel like they'd break WoT.

The only real change the crew system in WoT needs is sixth sense as default, IMO. Thats it. 

I'm talking about the core concept of the system, not the specifics.

A single crew member, that can be realistically moved between any vehicle in a line.
Skills that can be maxed out in a human lifetime, allowing you to achieve a desired crew build in a single lifetime.

That sort of thing. But it doesn't look like what WG has in mind just from the UI, so oh well

2 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

I'm talking about the core concept of the system, not the specifics.

A single crew member, that can be realistically moved between any vehicle in a line.
Skills that can be maxed out in a human lifetime, allowing you to achieve a desired crew build in a single lifetime.

That sort of thing. But it doesn't look like what WG has in mind just from the UI, so oh well

Ah I see. Yeah that does make a bit more sense, drop the XP curve a bit for higher skills. (Which is why the free BIA/female crews were so valued)

I can echo that concern about the new crew system. It's not that I'm worried it's going to devalue the time I spent training crews (who actually cares?), but that I don't have faith in wargaming's implementation of anything that can remotely be called an overhaul. I'd be much more comforted if they narrowed their scope and focused on skill balance, the viability of untrained crews, and a more usable UI. Those are the only three problems I have with the current system. 

Those shitty overhauls I'm worried about are perfectly encapsulated in their proposed HE changes. High tier HE spam is not a problem because of the mechanics of HE. It's a problem because the current armor models leave LITERALLY no other option. It's a problem because maps have NO flanking options. It's a problem because of that dumbass in the map design department who keeps putting those perfect hulldown rubble piles on each side of the HT flank. Above all, no one would spend a third of the match HE spamming a single HT out of their god position if they could just fucking go around it.

Don't get me wrong. I want those HE changes, but my reasoning is entirely about it fucking over arty. They do nothing for my problems with HE itself, which begins and ends with howitzers and HESH.

27 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

Those shitty overhauls I'm worried about are perfectly encapsulated in their proposed HE changes. High tier HE spam is not a problem because of the mechanics of HE. It's a problem because the current armor models leave LITERALLY no other option. It's a problem because maps have NO flanking options. It's a problem because of that dumbass in the map design department who keeps putting those perfect hulldown rubble piles on each side of the HT flank. Above all, no one would spend a third of the match HE spamming a single HT out of their god position if they could just fucking go around it.

Pretty much. I've been running games in my Chieftard and if I get hull down Jagpanzers and T110E3s can't dig me out with gold. The only thing they can do is pound my turret with HE and hope.

Am willing to bet that the crew rehaul will involve getting faster reloads, moar VR, better traverse, etc, the higher the level of your crew - like what they did with the improved equipment - so you can have more things to grind for (obviously what this game needs, esports aside :trump:)

At least that's what's going to happen unless the Russians throw a shitstorm like they did with Rubicon and irrc cosmetics giving ingame boosts.

...so did they mention anything about the ammo rework beyond just fucking with HE shells again? I seem to recall that being by far the least popular part of the sandbox server.

I doubt much of this will even make it into the game, while I have wanted new crew skills for ages I think it’s too big of a change for most of its players who take the current system for granted. Imagine crew skills you manually activate, super many that could be useful but implementing them would put the game in shambles. 

League recently reworked their entire item system and it’s likely going to take the entire year before it will stabilize. 

Many of the changes sound good I think, but putting them in all at once changes the game too quickly for the playerbase to adjust and WG isn’t exactly known for their capabilities in understanding their game so the skepticism is probably validated. 

The targeted audience has always been the casual player, so how will a casual player react to having so many new changes to understand every time they load up the game? I suppose there’s a possibility the casual player simply won’t care and WG betting on that. 

I’ve never been a fan of change for change’s sake and a LOT of these changes look like just that but there are good ideas in there too. Hopefully they realise what those are. 

Also, remove grand battles and bring back clashes between nations. Small tech tree lines and france (ebr and autoloader heavy) are a problem but now we have so many tanks that this actually could be a fun game mode that isn’t just ”russia wins”. 

Also, Port? Really? PLSGO and stay go.. Stalingrad and Hidden Village are more than welcome back though.

As some one who keeps a unique crew for every single tank in the game I fully expect to get grade A fucked by crew 2.0. It sounds like the majority will be rendered redundant with nothing to show for it, heavily rewarding people who just kept one or two crews for each line.

Quick scanning it means u can use 1 crew for 3 different tanks (a win), its much easier to cap a crew to max, which is also good.

I still have a bad feeling though, that said, crew skills is just sort of part of the game, its nothing special mostly.

Only real con of current system is that very good crews are serious better as crap crews, 2 skills means 6e, some repair and camo, and thats it, if u put bia, u have no camo or repair, and the other perks, view range etc cant be trained either. Putting a full crew with 5 skills, u have bia, full repair and camo, 20-30m more viewrange, and quite a bit better mobility (off road and clutch braking combined make quite some different on sluggish tanks with good hp/ton)

If WG wants to do something about the above AND can make it work like equipment 2.0, then its fine for me, but will they be able to???