CraBeatOff

GSORRY 1000008

A small review since I've had some time in this tank.

Mobility - acceptable. A high top speed with low hp/t, it's sluggish but you can get places and relocate as needed. The Skorp, SU-130PM and S1 all accelerate much better (esp with turbo). But you can do what needs done in this.

Protection - excellent (for a sniping TD). It's got great camo. 40% sitting and 25% moving. About the same as the 130PM but less than the WZ-120-1 or S1. Firing camo is an acceptable 8%. Low base VR means you're not going to be doing a lot of spotting without binoculars. I don't bother with this but at least that synergizes with having a full turret.

It also has armor! Not a lot but it's got a great feature of being autobounce at the default auto aim point in the front! The turret also has some slopey bits. Nothing you can count on - but when you can occasionally bounce a JpE shell you cannot complain.

Firepower - the focus of the tank - and it's a mixed bag. 320 is meh when you're scavenging or only have limited windows. 4x320 is glorious punishment though and extremely good for punching out enemy LTs. Aim time is good but i found i needed a GLD for follow up shots. Accuracy also good. Bloom is large but manageable, especially since the turret bloom is very low.

But what's bad are the shells and drum. Choice of 226 AP and 321 APCR with a massive 40s downtime between clips. This is just really unsatisfying. The real kicker though is the prem APCR pen drop off. It drops 101mm over 500 meters!!! What the shit is this? All other tier 8 apcr firing TD (that i own) drop 10-50mm. I don't know the values for the Kjp or Cda105 shell drops but 101mm pen loss is just maddening. Because of this you're gonna have a ton of 1-2-3 out of 4 clips in key situations and then a huge amount of time without influence. The low dpm and weak pen really make it hard to play this from range.

I give it B tier on a GOD/A/B/C scale. I understand why they don't want reliable 1200 burst or it having 2k dpm but it's still unsatisfying. Best platoons are with a good scout and a reliable and flexible continuous fire gun. If you play with a Lorr40t you're gonna have a bad time. A LIS or T-44-100 would work nicely. Don't solo this, please.

I've been running equipment combos with GLD and vents and switching between IRM and turbo. Given the massive pen drop off i might try a IRM turbo GLD build to try to stay in closer than 445...but the fact is those are the TD lanes in WoT!

Watching from the sidelines this tank looked super fun to me, until you mentioned 101 pen drop off.

321 APCR 1400m/s bitch sniping autoloader at a fun tier sounded too good to be true, and it was.

I find it hilarious that you can take any of the brawly autoloaders and they will still be better at redline sniping than this thing

pure gun build seems intriguing as it could turn this into a med - but only in a platoon with vision

honestly I really dislike what the autoloader spam in lootboxes has done to tier 8s, there's so much burst that games are either hard camps or hard pushes with nothing in between. if you have a slow tank or a tank with low DPM you're essentially fucked. if you have a campy TD you're fucked half of the time because there will be like 5 autoloaders and 2 fast heaviums + railgun LIS after your blood like 3 minutes into the game. the only way to get consistent damage is to join the autoloader gang or play the LIS/274/Rene

47 minutes ago, lavawing said:

railgun LIS

Excuse me WG, why is there a premium obj140 at tier8?

looking up all these new tanks is a trip

I was wondering why so many of my shots at 260ish armor areas were constantly bouncing with 321 pen, I had a feeling it was "fake" pen after playing for a while, forgot dropoff was even a thing because in most cases it doesn't come into play. What a sneaky bitch move by WG, but I get why it was done.

I agree with autoloader spam in T8 is aids, I've been yolo clipped out from full hp so many fucking times taking aggressive forward positions in T8 heavies that it's not even worth it to try anymore. Especially yesterday with all the somoas who somehow always get away with it because pubbies can't pen them. We need some 3k dpm regular tanks to compete.

2 hours ago, DrJ_Zoidberg said:

I was wondering why so many of my shots at 260ish armor areas were constantly bouncing with 321 pen, I had a feeling it was "fake" pen after playing for a while, forgot dropoff was even a thing because in most cases it doesn't come into play. What a sneaky bitch move by WG, but I get why it was done.

I agree with autoloader spam in T8 is aids, I've been yolo clipped out from full hp so many fucking times taking aggressive forward positions in T8 heavies that it's not even worth it to try anymore. Especially yesterday with all the somoas who somehow always get away with it because pubbies can't pen them. We need some 3k dpm regular tanks to compete.

Yea - I was compelled to post when I told @sr360 about the drop-off and even he was surprised. When the guy who knows all the mechanics hasn't caught a mechanic - that's a sign to log into WoTLabs and bitch about it! Total sneaky bitch move. It could take the biggest penalty and still not fellate donkey dix - make it drop to 250-271 at 500m. But 101 is just unfun. 

In response to your 2nd point - basically the only standard fire non-TD/LT I can make work at tier 8s I can make work these days are the CaernAX (3k dpm as you requested) and the E-75TS. I do not own the Renegade. Alpha has crept, so has mobility. The creep must continue! 

The GSOR and Bisonte seem to be the new standard for premium tanks. Not OP, shit to play, but also shit to play against.

(Well, they are not shit, they are decent to good, but annoying to play due to bad gun handling, or long magazine reload)

Where do you find out a shells penetration drop off over range? Say I wanted to compare the GSOR's AP and APCR against each other at various ranges is there an accurate way to do that outside of feeling it out?

21 minutes ago, Squawks_Existentially said:

Where do you find out a shells penetration drop off over range? Say I wanted to compare the GSOR's AP and APCR against each other at various ranges is there an accurate way to do that outside of feeling it out?

It's actually in the game. In garage when you look at your ammo it'll give you the penetration at 50m and at 500m under average penetration.

On 12/23/2020 at 6:54 AM, DrJ_Zoidberg said:

Honestly, I dislike autoloaders in general as a game mechanical in most instances. Felt that way since the french tanks were originally added too. In short, it's too swingy. The best instances of autoloaders IMO tend to be lower damage total clips, or ones which require good positioning to make use of (gold rounds help this balance). Take the GSOR 1008; even with the high falloff, one of those tanks can roll around the corner within 100m of you, and unless you're one of the few tanks with stupid armour at tier 8 or in a position where you can shrug it off, there's not much you can do besides get a shot in. This is me saying this after seeing a pair of top tier GSOR 1008's employ those tactics against a bunch of tier 7's and 6's (autoloaders don't work well in +/-2mm IMO with the health spreads).

Not to mention that most "autoloaders" weren't actually any faster than standard tanks, if not slower.

I'm pasting this here for my reference but also for the rest of y'all. Courtesy of a discussion with and permission of@TheChang. Edited for clarity and brevity, 90% of this is Chang's words but i want to re-read it when i try to master this tank, and this kind of style is one of his many strengths. This is his first impressions after reading this thread and playing a handful of games including an 8 kill Ensk match taking no damage (referenced).

Chang confirms turbo gld vents build.

Kinda play it as a 3rd line MT? It has much better accuracy and pen over the lorraine, with a bit faster burst, higher burst alpha, and about 100 less dpm

It's no pure TD like I assumed at first because of the insane pen dropoff.

Yeah, like I said, 3rd line. Never get shot, but get your sneaky angle/flank in, dump fast, and leave

The accuracy + intra is great for tracking

In my ensk game, I just played city and kept switching flanks and killing tanks on reload while they killed my teammates. Just finding angles, flanking, falling back, flanking behind

Snipe early, then drive to make an overmatch or punish a mistake or awkward peek

The camo and smaller size compared to the lorraine lets it fill more spaces sometimes, but it has less view range.

And the longer reload is tricky to play around which is also why it's 3rd line - meaning no risks, only free damage

You can't play primarily 2nd line, because if first line dies, you're dead as well. So you kinda fill the grey area between sitting in a bush all game and playing second line

Oh, gun depression is huge as well, for fitting in more spaces. And the 40 sec reload is excellent for forcing you to play safe, leave to go be somewhere else unexpected

After getting the Somua and playing that I just don't understand why this thing as such low DPM. The somua is more flexible IMO with very similar gun handling while having slightly higher clip dmg and yet a better reload. I feel like if the GSOR had around a 30s reload it would be much more competitive. GSOR is still much better than the t77 and Lorraine IMO tho 

5 hours ago, yoyoya2 said:

After getting the Somua and playing that I just don't understand why this thing as such low DPM. The somua is more flexible IMO with very similar gun handling while having slightly higher clip dmg and yet a better reload. I feel like if the GSOR had around a 30s reload it would be much more competitive. GSOR is still much better than the t77 and Lorraine IMO tho 

because as it is it already obsoletes the Lorry, and Somua DPM is kind of a mistake anyway tbh (irrc they gave it an extra shot in the mag during testing and left reload alone)

T77 can still lean on the heat pen and dumps clip in 4s. it doesn't feel powerful to play unlike the Somua, but manages to perform on par when you look at the stats

actually the GSOR has the highest stats of any pure autoloader at tier 8 right now, dunno if it's cause it's new or if the camo allows it to dump that last clip more reliably?

22 hours ago, lavawing said:

actually the GSOR has the highest stats of any pure autoloader at tier 8 right now, dunno if it's cause it's new or if the camo allows it to dump that last clip more reliably?

I think that comes from the fact that it is a TD. Pubbies will automatically play more defensively and do better than the Somua or Lorraine as they think that Heavy and Med = Must be brawling or front line. Pubbies don't realize that the tanks qualification doesn't determine if they have to be aggressive or not 

23 minutes ago, yoyoya2 said:

Pubbies don't realize that the tanks qualification doesn't determine if they have to be aggressive or not 

Lies! I bet you dont even active scout in the t49, noob

On 12/27/2020 at 9:20 PM, MagicalFlyingFox said:

The best world of tanks players treat everything like a TD....

At least that's what the Lowe 252U on my team keeps telling me.

I had a 252U on my team redline sniping in a Lakeville battle.  Our other heavies went valley and camped there.  We lost that battle  of course.  At the end of the battle I said, "Fuck RNG and fuck our redline sniping Defender."  The 252U player reported me to support and I got a 1 day chat ban.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:55 PM, yoyoya2 said:

Small sample size but so far, I'd say it feels pretty damn competitive. Albeit boring. 

gsor.jpg.3a48c01109478326f78c10094556bebf.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 12:12 AM, Bavor said:

I had a 252U on my team redline sniping in a Lakeville battle.  Our other heavies went valley and camped there.  We lost that battle  of course.  At the end of the battle I said, "Fuck RNG and fuck our redline sniping Defender."  The 252U player reported me to support and I got a 1 day chat ban.

LOL

On 12/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, Bavor said:

Been there, done that.