LetsMakeTheMagic

Consistency Consistency ConsiSTfdterter or how to deal with pressure

So I recently got back into the game.

Playing since 2015 but just 27k battles because I have long on and off streaks of pause when I get too tilted or destroy my equipment.

So I finally want to finish the 279e mission set. Lot's of missions are just consistency. Play consistenly good so you destroy 3 tanks of 2 different types in 3 consecutive battles.

My problem is, which was made clear in my session yesterday, you guessed it right - consistency.

I have 1 killer game on a good map even in TX matchmaking. After that I get a map which I don't really like and get totally wasted for playing too aggressive or a bad position.

Even as Kranvagn top tier in 3/5/7 I have a blackout -  I die with 400 dmg if it's a bad map.

I recently read lots of kolnis wisdom regarding this topic. Don't blame the map or team - be more critical about yourself and improve that way.

But sometimes the odds look so terrible at the same time the pressure is increasing via missions or just because you want to save DPG for MOE's. I think that is a reason why I can only mark T6 vehicles.

If the gauge says 94% I pressure myself so much I instantly die.

So my question to the pros: Is this something you encountered and solved or is it a real life problem how I react to pressure?

11 hours ago, LetsMakeTheMagic said:

But sometimes the odds look 

Don’t say stuff like this is you wanna get better is the first piece of advice

Blaming anything other than yourself won’t lead to improvements, doesn’t matter if it’s the reality of the situation or not

Phoning it in because the odds aren’t in your favour is just loser mentality, the games you aren’t putting effort in are the ones that leave the most room for improvement

The entire reason I got to where I was because I always cared about the outcome, meaning I can’t let emotions dictate my thought process just because the odds aren’t in my favour. Making the most out of garbage MM is a big enough portion of games to reflect your performance by a lot. Feelings cloud your judgment. Improvement is a result of self criticism, and you don’t do that unless you take blame. Be your own worst critic. That’s how you improve. 

Some have different goals, for me it wasn’t winning. For most it is, so the most proactive play towards winning is the best, but I liked DPG better, so to play toward that goal to the best of my ability I had to let go of the notion that winning mattered. That isn’t easy but it is necessary as the game can’t revolve around two things that won’t always agree with eachother. You also have to tryhard EVERY game. I don’t care if I did double my entire teams output and didn’t win that game, doing so only leads to frustration which leads to poor decisions.

Thank you for your input.

It's not that I don't care about the outcome. I think it's because I care too much. Care too much if something doesn't go as planned or doesnt work out like I imagined.

How do you find the balance to care about the outcome but don't let it go too close to tilt you? 

Maybe I should care less about winning and more about dealing damage and influence the game in that way.

My poor decisions mostly stem from the situation where there is a stalemate midway through the battle or certain gameplans on certain maps - Donut on Karelia, Hill on Mines where I'm too bad to predict if I'm gonna get away with it or not.

My thought process mostly goes like this "I'm most likely the only good player in this team. So I need to influence the battle with this push or this flanking maneuver to give them a chance at winning". I simply don't have the patience to let others do something useful.

Writing it down also makes me realise how egocentric this sounds :feelsbad:.

P.S. Sometimes I wonder if you don't get tired of us scrubs seemingly always asking the same stuff. I admire your resilience.

It sounds egocentric, but it isn't. The simple fact of the matter is that with blue stats you'll likely be the best or one of the best players in the team, but even if you are unicum-purple, you can't replace 14 other players. If the enemy team has slightly more luck, slightly better players or reads the map that slightly bit better than your team, then there's nothing you can really do. The only thing you can do is, to focus on your play and maximizing your impact on the play. The only things you can do is, to deal damage, kill tanks and spot and keep enabling chances for others to take. *You* are the only one in the team, that you have any direct influence over, so focusing on you is the only smart decission to take.

It's just the switches which go bad. It's not my fault they can't handle my load :trump:. Ordered some nice Kailh for the G Pro so it's gonna be better than new.

I watched a commentary made by kolni about Spinee. 

The playstyle is so passive at some moments I had to force myself to continue but one thing stood out. Despite driving around for 2 solid Minutes doing nothing on some maps he still averages 3k+ DPG in the 277 in these replays.

His survival rate is more than twice as high compared to my recent 23%. 

I looked more into this and realised that my survival rate on my E50 (which was the best performing tank on an alt account with close to 3k DPG is just 37% even though the winrate is 61% solo.

This makes me realise that I just f*cking suck at estimating the timing for aggression. I don't know if I should keep on playing this hyper aggressive playstyle and wait until every possible scenario is hammered into my skull where it doesn't work or try to adapt a more reactive playstyle.

5 hours ago, LetsMakeTheMagic said:

It's just the switches which go bad. It's not my fault they can't handle my load :trump:. Ordered some nice Kailh for the G Pro so it's gonna be better than new.

I watched a commentary made by kolni about Spinee. 

The playstyle is so passive at some moments I had to force myself to continue but one thing stood out. Despite driving around for 2 solid Minutes doing nothing on some maps he still averages 3k+ DPG in the 277 in these replays.

His survival rate is more than twice as high compared to my recent 23%. 

I looked more into this and realised that my survival rate on my E50 (which was the best performing tank on an alt account with close to 3k DPG is just 37% even though the winrate is 61% solo.

This makes me realise that I just f*cking suck at estimating the timing for aggression. I don't know if I should keep on playing this hyper aggressive playstyle and wait until every possible scenario is hammered into my skull where it doesn't work or try to adapt a more reactive playstyle.

Yeah that survival rate is crazy low. My recent rate is 50%+, and my lifetime account rate is 44%. When I have good sessions they directly correlate to an increase in survival rate - you could argue it is a little chicken and egg (you only have good sessions because you stay alive, you stay alive because you have a good session), but ultimately you can't do damage if you're not alive.

My recent session over the weekend with the C-52 LIS (all solo pubbed) allowed me to hit 76% w/r with a 66% survival rate:

image.thumb.png.bb84961fa351756206d643c5c2c592a9.png

I'd definitely focus more on staying alive early game and making sure you're always able to farm late game damage, in order to increase your consistency.

My earlier session my survival rate is even higher, and my DPG is correspondingly higher (although w/r dipped):

image.thumb.png.b714e9081773539e15fa983b985d7deb.png

(ignore the tilt Carro stats)

I honestly don't know why I don't want to survive.

It feels like I'm missing out if I'm not the first at the clean up and sometimes too slow to reposition for the loss squeeze. Sitting still in this game feels unnatural to me. I always feel like I need to do something but I'm not even close to hyperactive in real life just not very patient :feelsgoodman:.

I need to rewatch some of your replays commented by kolni. I would  also be really grateful for some of that LIS gameplay footage. 

Edit: Nevermind 3 of those games are on WotReplays. Will give em a go.

3 hours ago, LetsMakeTheMagic said:

I need to rewatch some of your replays commented by kolni. I would  also be really grateful for some of that LIS gameplay footage. 

I'm probably too passive, even now - that is Kolni's main takeaway of my gameplay, which holds up. There's a happy balance.

3 hours ago, LetsMakeTheMagic said:

Edit: Nevermind 3 of those games are on WotReplays. Will give em a go.

Yeah the last 3 are all Aces I uploaded. I have more games I could add - i'll try and do it later today.

EDIT: I've added a bunch more if you want them.

Thanks a lot. Had a good time watching them yesterday. That spot in Erlenberg seems promising. Will try it for sure. Liked that game a lot. 

Live Oaks game was also mind boggling for me. The spot at the houses was pretty aggressive (and the push forward to the hills). Still you were Full hp after dealing 4k.

I also need to improve my knowledge of the vision system. Lots of times I take unnecessary damage even though I think I fire concealed.

I will watch the others thanks for uploading them. Lots of takeways from your gameplay which are also applicable to my situation. A lot more helpful than Barry, Mailand and Daki playing different tanks all the time where I can't really focus on their thinking and decision making.

Edit: Funny side note - Now I always hear kolni saying "Tempo Tempo Tempo" in the back of my head. I start to lose my sanity.

11 hours ago, kolni said:

my survival rate is like 28%

Bullshit. Maybe now - no way when you got your DPG goals. How would you rack up that much dmg without late game farm?

21 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Bullshit. Maybe now - no way when you got your DPG goals. How would you rack up that much dmg without late game farm?

Mutually assured destruction?

11 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

I mean I had a session in the Sconq with 4,1k dpg over 4 games where I only survived 1 game.

So it's possible but not consistently. Give it 10 games and the DPG drops to 3k again.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:44 PM, Snoregasm2 said:

Nah, that would be bonkers - but it was around that area when I was doing pretty much everything but top of server and CW reward mark stuff. Exclude the super OP stuff (survival rate at 50) most of my shit is between 25-35 but with high damage ratios

I tried surviving more.

Had one game with 6k in the Bat on Erlenberg but also a 0 dmg game :cri:so kinda meh. 

(http://wotreplays.eu/site/5766247#erlenberg-kingofthemongols-bat_-ch_tillon_25_t) - If anyone is interested.

Will use the Bat for the Tier X Kewei method I think.

Emil 1 is a lot of fun though.

Survival.PNG