Platypusbill

Superheavy Spall Liner in 8.8

Question

Well, seeing as it will cut crew fatality in half (in addition to potentially absorbing much more damage from arty splash/direct hits on thick areas), is it a viable choice on some tanks? I personally have two tanks that can mount it (KV-4, T95) and one that I'm planning to get (JagdE-100).

-The KV-4 (Rammer, Vert Stab, GLD) loses its commander frequently and has a rather large HP pool (more hits to crew on average than most tanks), but I also don't want to sacrifice the GLD because of that godawful aim time that gets reset frequently because of the need to wiggle/angle a lot.

-The JagdE-100 (Rammer/GLD/Vents) is the one I'm most sceptical about- from the front, the main weakspot is likely to result in hits to the transmission/engine as opposed to crew, though I don't think the third module is that essential.

-The T95 (Rammer/Vents/Toolbox) seems like a good candidate- both cupolas contain essential crew members (commander and driver), and again, the third module is not that important for it IMO. Would likely replace the Toolbox.

Thoughts?

6 answers to this question

Lose the Vent or GLD, equip Spall liner.

have commander learn Jack of all trades.

Drop med kit, equip 10% skill (chocolate/tea/whatever)

Lose the Vent or GLD, equip Spall liner.

have commander learn Jack of all trades.

Drop med kit, equip 10% skill (chocolate/tea/whatever)

Even with JOAT, a crew fatality still means running around at 50% skill (except for a dead KV-4/JagdE-100 loader, the second one waters it down to 75% effective skill). And spending 10k each game on prem consumables is rather expensive.

And god forbid I have to get somewhere with a 50% driver (commander) in the T95.

I was mostly thinking about this as a further safeguard against those BS RNG troll moments when you lose more than one important crew member (or the same one to consecutive shots) early on, or during a crucial phase, trading a *consumable* seems non-negotiable to me.

Dunno what the actual probability of losing crew after a hit is, though. There seems to be no reliable source on this.

Crew hit by AP/APCR/HEAT shell: 33%

Crew hit by (internal) explosion: 10%

Think of expensive consumables as the price of winning. Don't you want to win?

Of course I'm willing to use more than the absolute bare minimum resources (all standard ammo, no consumables), as it often leads to effectively more credits due to surviving and then doing more damage/spotting/wins, plus better stats and XP gains- but there is also a limit to how much I'm willing to spend to win a bit more, it's not like even #BestPadderNA would spam gold in a tank unless A it benefits it massively (E-100, T-54, autoloaders, US 90mm guns in general etc), or B it's so bad that it needs any help it can get. Granted, 10k isn't anything huge, but with no medkit, I am afraid that the overall performance boost is not worth as much as healing one crew member. Commader dies, you have 0% commander skill and no 6th sense- anyone else dies, you have 50%-75% skill for that role with JOAT. Even with a 1/6th chance* of a crew death, assuming someone gets hit, that seems very risky. The T95, for instance, would probably lose the driver every two or three games or so, though not necessarily when the battle is still being decided. Anyone else got input on this?

*The devs have stated that there is at least some damage threshold to engine fires to prevent autocannons and the like from being laughably OP- there is probably a similar mechanism for crew, though I am unsure if it scales up with tiers.

Even with JOAT, a crew fatality still means running around at 50% skill (except for a dead KV-4/JagdE-100 loader, the second one waters it down to 75% effective skill). And spending 10k each game on prem consumables is rather expensive.

And god forbid I have to get somewhere with a 50% driver (commander) in the T95.

I was mostly thinking about this as a further safeguard against those BS RNG troll moments when you lose more than one important crew member (or the same one to consecutive shots) early on, or during a crucial phase, trading a *consumable* seems non-negotiable to me.

Dunno what the actual probability of losing crew after a hit is, though. There seems to be no reliable source on this.

i would really only do what carbon suggested in a tank you like, and a tank that does not suffer from commander death syndrome.

but getting crew skills up to 120% is kind a huge and the spall liner will protect the crews quite alot with jack of all trades making the ditch of med kit to Cola(10% crew bonus) viable.

How would a large med kit effect the spall liner? Would it be +50% +15%? If you used the large kit simply for the buff and have no fire extinguisher.

I only use the spall liner on my Tog as it has armour made of jelly...