kolni

Free Gameplay Reviews (YT with commentary) by Kolni, Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

You know the drill, 5 replays per person max. You shouldn't cherrypick good games here if you actually want good feedback. Derp games the same, they are just derps and not much else to say about them. The best games are games similar to your skill level. I'm more than happy to offer advice to anyone. If you don't want the video public - I'll PM you the unlisted Youtube video.

I know @Private_Miros has been struggling a bit lately, so the offer for him is 10 replays. 

Games where you feel mistakes were made are obviously the ones you should want reviewed.  If they are carries that is also fine, there's room for improvement there too. I'd love to review a 5k tier 10 session from somebody else than myself. 

Tier 9 and 10 only. I would consider some stronger tier 8s as well (Borrasque, Prog, etc) but I won't be doing a TVP VTU review because that would be a two second review of me saying "pick something else"

No SPGs. 

You can post LT games, but that's not where my analysis will be the strongest. (That's a nice bush and your team played around it isn't exactly much to say). If you want me in my element here, pick high impact tanks. 

No Berlin/Pearl River maps. I still have yet to get a good read on these maps yet since coming back so analysis on them would likely not result in great feedback. 

This time you don't need to post sessions like before, you are free to pick any replays you want. 

Analysis will be tailored towards skill level - lower end means a higher mechanical focus and initial reading while stronger players will be subject to understanding tempo better, and decision making. 

Upload your replays to wotreplays and post the links here. Remember that if you make them secret then you have to specifically post the secret link (not the browser URL)

I will do this for as long as I can muster, and everyone who asks for a review will get it. I'll close the entries eventually as I can't do this forever but everyone who posts their games for review before that will get their games reviewed. Estimate is about two weeks.

I'll put one up, I haven't been playing much lately as I've been addicted to Escape From Tarkov. But my last few sessions getting back into things has just been so underwhelming, I just feel downright rusty. I would put up more but I've been playing mostly tier 8.

Anyway, ignoring the fact that my platoonmate informed me of the WZ's location in the bush roughly 3min earlier, I completely fucking forgot about his existence moments before my death. That's the type of mistake I don't normally make, kinda sets the tone for my recent performance.

I picked this replay because I feel awkward on Ruinberg from north spawn, overall I just felt useless but was struggling to figure out what was the best play. Please enlighten me.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5772988?secret=f716c37505dc81eeac15a8d9588d8e52 

44 minutes ago, PityFool said:

I'll put one up, I haven't been playing much lately as I've been addicted to Escape From Tarkov. But my last few sessions getting back into things has just been so underwhelming, I just feel downright rusty. I would put up more but I've been playing mostly tier 8.

Anyway, ignoring the fact that my platoonmate informed me of the WZ's location in the bush roughly 3min earlier, I completely fucking forgot about his existence moments before my death. That's the type of mistake I don't normally make, kinda sets the tone for my recent performance.

I picked this replay because I feel awkward on Ruinberg from north spawn, overall I just felt useless but was struggling to figure out what was the best play. Please enlighten me.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5772988?secret=f716c37505dc81eeac15a8d9588d8e52 

@kolni Thanks, very helpful, I will adjust my thought process there for future games. Yea I've always tended to favour the more passive deployment there over the middle lane where you suggested I go, simply because that was the normal arty preaim spot prior to the map changes. Now with the changes I feel my position is preaimed and focused more frequently. I also find I'm normally able to dig most tanks out from where the 263 played, but in this case yes the moment I saw the 263 there I knew it wasn't really feasible. My issue was in making a decision on what else to do. I've also resolved my limited HEAT issue,  37 HEATbois it is.

You wouldn't happen to have a replay of you doing what you described?

I recently picked up PTA(only 20 battles in it). In this 3 games i feel like wins were gifted to me, and that i could do much more.

Please pick at least one:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773087#el_halluf-redwoodoriginal-leopard_prototyp_a

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773083#arctic_region-redwoodoriginal-leopard_prototyp_a

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773081#siegfried_line-redwoodoriginal-leopard_prototyp_a

1 hour ago, PityFool said:

@kolni Thanks, very helpful, I will adjust my thought process there for future games. Yea I've always tended to favour the more passive deployment there over the middle lane where you suggested I go, simply because that was the normal arty preaim spot prior to the map changes. Now with the changes I feel my position is preaimed and focused more frequently. I also find I'm normally able to dig most tanks out from where the 263 played, but in this case yes the moment I saw the 263 there I knew it wasn't really feasible. My issue was in making a decision on what else to do. I've also resolved my limited HEAT issue,  37 HEATbois it is.

You wouldn't happen to have a replay of you doing what you described?

No, I'm a PTA/Leo1/50B spammer now that I've given up on completing the E6 mark so I'll never get a game getting into that position. The obvious exception to this though is if they have big TDs or heavies that can blap you hard for doing it, but there weren't any. The trick is to just whittle them down like you tried with the 263, but against stuff that you can actually reliably pen. Shave HP off, increase your impact etc. Even if you are uncomfortable in doing it, the development falls much more naturally when you gain more ground to play around. That triangle there is the key to winning the city and there were opportunities to take it, but not seeing them results in games like this. 

This is still processing, but I highly recommend that other people watch it as there is A LOT of good stuff in here, both in improvement and in the gameplay there.  @Snoregasm2

1 hour ago, RedwoodOriginal said:

I recently picked up PTA(only 20 battles in it). In this 3 games i feel like wins were gifted to me, and that i could do much more.

Please pick at least one:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773087#el_halluf-redwoodoriginal-leopard_prototyp_a

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773083#arctic_region-redwoodoriginal-leopard_prototyp_a

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773081#siegfried_line-redwoodoriginal-leopard_prototyp_a

I'll do them all! Tomorrow though

1 hour ago, kolni said:

No, I'm a PTA/Leo1/50B spammer now that I've given up on completing the E6 mark so I'll never get a game getting into that position. The obvious exception to this though is if they have big TDs or heavies that can blap you hard for doing it, but there weren't any. The trick is to just whittle them down like you tried with the 263, but against stuff that you can actually reliably pen. Shave HP off, increase your impact etc. Even if you are uncomfortable in doing it, the development falls much more naturally when you gain more ground to play around. That triangle there is the key to winning the city and there were opportunities to take it, but not seeing them results in games like this. 

This is still processing, but I highly recommend that other people watch it as there is A LOT of good stuff in here, both in improvement and in the gameplay there.  @Snoregasm2

I'll do them all! Tomorrow though

Thanks man. Only available at 360 right now so i'll wait for it to finish processing before watching in 1080.

2 hours ago, kolni said:

Is done now :) 

Just watched it - thanks again.

To take the 4 games:

1. Westfield/CS 52. The tank only has -7 gun dep so I didn't even consider playing the hills tbh. I find the village is useful for poking and lighting their camping TDs, but that flank melted very quickly. I retreated on purpose near the base, as between there and the ridge near our hill, it was the only spot where you can control vision from both angles. I wouldn't play there in a tier 10 game, but I thought I might be able to double bush in a tier 8 game. Of course I got massively lucky (As you kind of have to in any 1 vs 8 Kolbanov's), and fucked up the T 28 Prot end game, so there's still a lot to takeaway there.
  2. Erlenberg/CS 52. I think you were pretty nailed on here - I was purely reactive given the map. I should definitely have rotated across the river sooner - I got lucky they were all bots. I was trying to go for the Progetto when I spotted the T-44 - I just played reactive from that point on. I was scared of pushing forward as I wasn't sure if the STRV was on the big hill out of spotting range or the bush near the windmill in which case he would have lit me.
  3. Fisherman's Bay/CS 52. Again, I was mainly reactive, which is often my style anyway, but I couldn't do much else. I was worried about poking the 430U earlier in the game as I don't guarantee a snap pen unless he is side on and he could blap 440 into, and the FV could have been anywhere. I thought I mostly managed the end game farm as well as I could have (maybe being quicker would have got 2 shots on FV or 430U). I did get 2 blinds on the Conway as well, like you said.
  4. Glacier/Kpz 50 t. Yeah, this is the one where I should have won. Hindsight is 20/20, but I thought I was super unlucky to be penned by the T 30 - without that I would definitely have rotated north. I was sure the FV was coming up the hill (and I'm sure he did, given how long it took him), but I genuinely thought the WZ would cap. The position i was in is great for double bushing there. I think the WZ must have been low HP hence why he didn't push, or he just stayed near his own cap. How would you have played it? My only thought is driving around our own base, and going around the ship fully and approach their base, hoping to outspot the WZ and/or the FV on the hill. I just think that is a low % play - is there something I could have done outside of that?

Now that you've seen the latest replays, i'm interested to know the areas i can still improve/work on further. Is it still the same areas as last time, or something different? I think i've become more consistent since my last replays were reviewed, and i've been able to 3 mark more tanks, but i'd still struggle 4k DPG tier 10s I think (i've not tried). I always try and think about where the damage is and tempo, but i often hesitate to avoid "derp" mistakes where I insta die. That results in those 10/20/30 seconds of doing jack shit. I also often struggle to know how to push into dangerous situations without getting gimped - a lot of the passivity comes from that.

@Snoregasm2

Game 1: Running away from all fights makes you lose them. Even as they were all oneshot if they all just yolod together you'd die there. Enemy team lost that game, you didn't win it. 

Game 2: Some split second decisions that were off but otherwise good. 

Game 3: Great, very very small adjustments in hindsight but I wouldn't have played that any better. Hard to see how besides like a 1-2 quicker second rotation decision every now and then - but in this game they those wouldn't have mattered. It was pretty much a perfect game considering your team.

Game 4: Super smart hill take. T30 pen sucked, but he fired earlier unspotted (kill confirmed it) so you could sink more into him before he climbed up. Rotate north rather than back to base is an idea to get into a better position to get the WZ in a situation where the FV can't contribute to it. Go around the middle area to catch the WZ as you would've needed that information to win the game . If FV caps you just instantly turn back to deal with it. Last second poke was also a micro miss but game ended in 8 seconds anyway and a draw=loss anyways.

Plenty of improvement overall I think since last, just keep it up and you'll get there. Tempo is still the trick. It's also the hardest thing to get better at as you need to nail that 1-3 second time of thinking down to 0,1s. 

Thank you for the offer, kolni. Let's start with three though.

Bought and took out the STB-1. Had some games with it in the 7vs7, but these are the first randoms in it.

First game, Live Oaks. Should have pushed on below the camping TD spots maybe, but was nervous with the EBR still on the loose. An alright game all things considered. Could have probably done more. http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773648#live_oaks-private_miros-stb-1

Second game, Sand River. I doubting going South and probably should have. But I wanted to keep vision control. Many misses and a few ill-chosen moments to shoot. Bad game. http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773678#sand_river-private_miros-stb-1

Third game, Malinovka. Yolo because enemy scout dead. Almost die instantly. Trade badly and consider not uploading this. Somehow end with 7.3k combined. (was trying to pixelsnipe the E-100 and the end, didn't bother to get him, still trying out the limits of the tank). http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773708#malinovka-private_miros-stb-1

-------------

And two more:

Steppes. Was that push on the enemy STB-1 that badly timed or did I have bad luck there? http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773896#steppes-private_miros-stb-1

Redshire. One full of decisions and second guessing. I think you're going to have a field day with this one. There are really many moves here that I made that were good, mediocre and stupid. http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773920#redshire-private_miros-stb-1

@kolni Thank you! This was first time that i submitted my replays for feedback. I picked that 3 games cause i realy didnt know what to do better there, but i did know that my play was bad. I will work on positioning and trading.

P.s. i run large med kit cause, recently i noticed i have 700+ of them in depot and i never bought 1.

2 hours ago, RedwoodOriginal said:

@kolni Thank you! This was first time that i submitted my replays for feedback. I picked that 3 games cause i realy didnt know what to do better there, but i did know that my play was bad. I will work on positioning and trading.

P.s. i run large med kit cause, recently i noticed i have 700+ of them in depot and i never bought 1.

The spirit of trying to improve is the key to actually improving, so just keep things like this in mind and you'll play better. Actions need to have a reason behind them as well - if you can't actually verbalise why you're doing something - you shouldn't do it. This could obviously lead to being ridiculously passive (not knowing what to do shouldn't result in doing nothing), but there's a middle ground here that you should try to find. Play with purpose and some mechanical refinement and you can hit unicum in like a month if you really stick to it!

Will prepare some material. I hope the offer still stands until then. 

Would be really intersting to hear your oppinion since I'm struggling to reach 3k+ dpg in my Sconq reliably and play horribly in my BC except some good games.

Would also be nice to understand why I can't squeeze more DPG from the Chief. It is way stronger compared to Sconq - can't manage to average higher DPG :feelsbad:.

Progetto commentary would be nice as well. Damn it I need to make a choice.

5 hours ago, LetsMakeTheMagic said:

Will prepare some material. I hope the offer still stands until then. 

Would be really intersting to hear your oppinion since I'm struggling to reach 3k+ dpg in my Sconq reliably and play horribly in my BC except some good games.

Would also be nice to understand why I can't squeeze more DPG from the Chief. It is way stronger compared to Sconq - can't manage to average higher DPG :feelsbad:.

Progetto commentary would be nice as well. Damn it I need to make a choice.

Yeah man, offer is for everyone!

17 hours ago, kolni said:

- snip - you shouldn't do it. This could obviously lead to being ridiculously passive (not knowing what to do shouldn't result in doing nothing) -snip -

This is my main problem in games like the ones i submitted. I will adjust in to "better to do something than nothing" mentality

On 2/13/2021 at 8:09 PM, Private_Miros said:

Thank you for the offer, kolni. Let's start with three though.

Bought and took out the STB-1. Had some games with it in the 7vs7, but these are the first randoms in it.

First game, Live Oaks. Should have pushed on below the camping TD spots maybe, but was nervous with the EBR still on the loose. An alright game all things considered. Could have probably done more. http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773648#live_oaks-private_miros-stb-1

Second game, Sand River. I doubting going South and probably should have. But I wanted to keep vision control. Many misses and a few ill-chosen moments to shoot. Bad game. http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773678#sand_river-private_miros-stb-1

Third game, Malinovka. Yolo because enemy scout dead. Almost die instantly. Trade badly and consider not uploading this. Somehow end with 7.3k combined. (was trying to pixelsnipe the E-100 and the end, didn't bother to get him, still trying out the limits of the tank). http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773708#malinovka-private_miros-stb-1

-------------

And two more:

Steppes. Was that push on the enemy STB-1 that badly timed or did I have bad luck there? http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773896#steppes-private_miros-stb-1

Redshire. One full of decisions and second guessing. I think you're going to have a field day with this one. There are really many moves here that I made that were good, mediocre and stupid. http://wotreplays.eu/site/5773920#redshire-private_miros-stb-1

Processing's done in a few minutes

1 hour ago, kolni said:

Processing's done in a few minutes

Thanks a bunch. I feel I progressed since last time you did this in both decision making when I'm in the right spots, and in recognizing where I make mistakes myself (my comments in the post with replays align with what you identify as biggest mistakes). My main issues remain readjusting my locations when I'm not in the right spots, daring to push timely and correctly and optimizing target selection.

That and there are still a lot of micropositioning spots for early aggression I lack the knowledge of.

(On a side, note, I would always have gone hill on Malinovka, but that scout dying, we not having vision, and me trying out things in a new tank made me do that move. And fully aware that was a coinflip to get there. I realize I made you struggle to comprehend half of my choices there :P But although it wasn't me trying remotely to be good that game, you're feedback was really valuable on those moves. The E3 I didn't fire because I was still thinking I'd be spotted, the 277 I figured I probably wouldn't be, even when shooting at the E3, that is me requiring having more confidence in my judgement of view ranges and camo.)

(And the Grille situation on Redshire had me facepalming while it was happening.)

On 2/14/2021 at 5:18 PM, kolni said:

The spirit of trying to improve is the key to actually improving, so just keep things like this in mind and you'll play better. Actions need to have a reason behind them as well - if you can't actually verbalise why you're doing something - you shouldn't do it. This could obviously lead to being ridiculously passive (not knowing what to do shouldn't result in doing nothing), but there's a middle ground here that you should try to find. Play with purpose and some mechanical refinement and you can hit unicum in like a month if you really stick to it!

I always like to tell people that most of skill in WoT is knowing where to be, and why!

Last time I sent in replays, you pointed out my indecisiveness in the options I have during a game. This has generally gotten better since then, but then I got the Bourrasque.

I've been hardstuck at 2200 DPG because I'm just not consistent when I play it, I do 3000 damage in one game then 0 damage or the like in the next 2 games, rinse and repeat.

I also can't figure out when to switch roles to help either myself deal damage, or the team win the game. Additionally, I find it difficult to exploit openings (However, I feel that I am able to see them when they open), or really do anything with any information (Such as spotted tanks) that appear throughout a single game.

This session shows the inconsistency I have with this tank, and I think also highlights my inability to decision make effectively in the Bourrasque. All 5 games were played back to back:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779189#airfield-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779190#westfield-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779192#murovanka-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779193#live_oaks-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779197#redshire-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

Whenever play this tank, I almost always feel that I could have done more in a game, even if I played badly, but have trouble figuring out how. I can't figure out what I'm supposed to play this as, a Light, or a Medium; and this ends up affecting my positioning a lot, as I don't really know the macro/micropositions that I'm supposed to take at times, and you can actually sometimes see me just sitting still wondering what I'm supposed to do.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:54 PM, Private_Miros said:

Thanks a bunch. I feel I progressed since last time you did this in both decision making when I'm in the right spots, and in recognizing where I make mistakes myself (my comments in the post with replays align with what you identify as biggest mistakes). My main issues remain readjusting my locations when I'm not in the right spots, daring to push timely and correctly and optimizing target selection.

That and there are still a lot of micropositioning spots for early aggression I lack the knowledge of.

(On a side, note, I would always have gone hill on Malinovka, but that scout dying, we not having vision, and me trying out things in a new tank made me do that move. And fully aware that was a coinflip to get there. I realize I made you struggle to comprehend half of my choices there :P But although it wasn't me trying remotely to be good that game, you're feedback was really valuable on those moves. The E3 I didn't fire because I was still thinking I'd be spotted, the 277 I figured I probably wouldn't be, even when shooting at the E3, that is me requiring having more confidence in my judgement of view ranges and camo.)

(And the Grille situation on Redshire had me facepalming while it was happening.)

I watched the video as well and my takeaways from that + platooning with you this week are as follows:

1. You have really good awareness. You clearly notice things like tanks crossing, potential spotting angles, when a flank is falling etc. The Sand River game you could tell from where you were looking you noticed all the big game beats super early. That is a really hard part of this game and you're already very good at it.
  2. But . . . you react sub-optimally when you do notice these developments. You pick them up, react, but the reactions often aren't the best ones. You've either already placed yourself in a bad spot where it's hard to take advantage, or you move into a position which then "locks" you in and doesn't give you any flexibility. A lot of your micro-positioning is quite risky. I'd advise following @kolni's advice around always giving yourselves options and if it is a choice between a) fully committing for potentially a bit more damage, or b) not committing for less damage, but keeping your options open, then all things equal always pick option b). Always be able to fallback - if you can't either fallback or kill everything in the vicinity, you've made a mistake probably. The hard part of this is not being too passive as a result, and therein lies the skill (i still err too much on the side of caution/commit at the wrong times).
  3. Load. More. Premium. On Sand River, you would have had 1,400 dmg against the Jagd E 100 if you had loaded gold from the start. A lot of players only carry a couple of AP rounds in the STB. That's an extreme, but your default ammo should be premium rounds in most tanks, unless you have an amazing standard APCR round like Russian meds, where your split is more 50/50. Leo Pta - all gold APCR. M46 - all APCR. STB - say a 75/25 split in favour of HEAT. I doubt you've got an ethical stance against it like WG forum shitters, and i'm sure you have the credits, so load it and use it!
  4. Always look for shots. There's a few instances where you focus a little too much on the macro game/mini map, and you miss chances for easy shots. This is hard, but always try and be feathering shots, particularly when moving around to see if you have angles/if it is worth stopping to aim. Don't worry about hit/pen ratios - fire when you can and let volume get you damage. The more you shoot (Especially with prem), the more you'll get lucky snaps, fluke pens etc. It's also worth blinding obvious bushes in tanks with high ROF like the STB, when you have nothing better to do. Redshire is a decent map for this, as are maps like Fisherman's Bay, Prokorovka, Malinovka etc.
  5. I think you need to think about minimising exposure more as well. A tank like the STB is great for this actually because of it's amazing gun dep. If you can get shots just by peaking your turret, don't drive your entire tank up. Try and keep your front towards where the enemy fire will come IF you get spotted. Pull back if you think you might be spotted as soon as you fire, not when you're lit - you can always move back if not spotted. Making yourself as hard a target as possible helps in two ways: 1) the enemy are more likely to bounce or miss if they fire; and 2) more importantly, if you're a hard target, they might just not fire. They might have easier shots, or they might not want to use one of their clip (if an autoloader) or reload too long (e.g. a TD), so you'll take a lot less damage this way as well. Your damage taken seems to come in "bursts", i.e. you get spotted with your full tank exposed, and every enemy in range instantly turns to aim at you and chunks of 2/3/4 shots in 3 or 4 seconds. Making those instances 0 or 1 shot allows you to survive mistakes better and live longer to do more damage.
On 2/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, Spinee said:

Last time I sent in replays, you pointed out my indecisiveness in the options I have during a game. This has generally gotten better since then, but then I got the Bourrasque.

I've been hardstuck at 2200 DPG because I'm just not consistent when I play it, I do 3000 damage in one game then 0 damage or the like in the next 2 games, rinse and repeat.

I also can't figure out when to switch roles to help either myself deal damage, or the team win the game. Additionally, I find it difficult to exploit openings (However, I feel that I am able to see them when they open), or really do anything with any information (Such as spotted tanks) that appear throughout a single game.

This session shows the inconsistency I have with this tank, and I think also highlights my inability to decision make effectively in the Bourrasque. All 5 games were played back to back:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779189#airfield-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779190#westfield-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779192#murovanka-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779193#live_oaks-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5779197#redshire-spinee-bat_-ch_tillon_bourrasque

Whenever play this tank, I almost always feel that I could have done more in a game, even if I played badly, but have trouble figuring out how. I can't figure out what I'm supposed to play this as, a Light, or a Medium; and this ends up affecting my positioning a lot, as I don't really know the macro/micropositions that I'm supposed to take at times, and you can actually sometimes see me just sitting still wondering what I'm supposed to do.

Will do these tomorrow, tonight's my 8th 907 3 mark grind starting so gonna be hitting the grind pretty hard now

Edit: the grind already broke me and I uninstalled