GehakteMolen

Arty changes (sandbox)

First thought: looks fine, return of AP round seems shitty, but for the rest looks like a nerf (and a buff for fast tanks, which can now sort of dodge arty)

I doubt it will be much better. Basic shell gives up some things, but now you can shoot over cover. The second shell gets more damage and pen, enough to go through top armor easily and ruin you in one lucky shot; it'll just be miss miss DAMAGE SPIKE. AP shell will rarely get used. At least maybe fast tanks will be better off, but I rarely bother shooting at that stuff as arty anyway.

16 minutes ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

I doubt it will be much better. Basic shell gives up some things, but now you can shoot over cover. The second shell gets more damage and pen, enough to go through top armor easily and ruin you in one lucky shot; it'll just be miss miss DAMAGE SPIKE. AP shell will rarely get used. At least maybe fast tanks will be better off, but I rarely bother shooting at that stuff as arty anyway.

So what, like old arty?

New AP pen damage seems to be lower than what a direct non-pen hit from current arty often is, and you won't be stunned.
Conceptually, I like these changes. No idea how it will work in practice though.

So far I have been pushed out in front of enemy fire and witnessed 7 artillery suicides. I am on game #4. The Russians are a friendly people.

2 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

dmg buff is only 10%, but in return it cant stun you any more (and the pen is still low) while the basic shells deal less dmg, and can no longer kill crew / modules (and tracks i guess.....???)

AP dmg seems to be serious buffed, in the past it was like 60% of HE dmg, the new stuff seems to be way lower dmg wise (perhaps its not AP, but like high pen HE, would explain the shitty HE changes wg wanted to do)

In the past using AP against armoured targets was stupid, since IS7 would bounce arty ap withs turret anyway, while "paper" targets like M48 would get fucked by it

One thing I'm hoping the better tracers allow is for easier counter battery, because that also means they shoot each other more often hopefully.

As a side note, I miss being able to edit tracers. Because changing large calibre shells to trains was hilarious.

5DF1AKJ.jpg

I'm pretty excited to see these get off sandbox. Just the ability to know, map wide, that the arty fired is huge. Imagine trying to time a push (or even just a peek) on a map like Fisherman's Bay; the two garbage 212A players just bombed your meds on the other side of the map? That's enough time for 2-3 reloads worth of aggression in the alley.

Mapwide, bright tracers I think are also hilarious and maybe even overkill. This was part of their demo video:

image.png

You could probably kill this guy before the shell even landed.

Lastly this will just be an arty damage nerf. Even if you don't use any of the new info to stay out of fire, being able to get away from the splash zone will reduce arty damage more than the +10% alpha/+50% pen Alternate shell could possibly make up for it. 

The only thing I don't really understand is the Intuition changes. You will need it to play arty, so why make it a skill...? Beyond that, I don't think anyone's clamoring for normal tanks to get a crew skill that lets them swap over to gold 80% faster. Just let arty change shell types really quickly as a class feature and be done with it.

7 hours ago, Rexxie said:

Lastly this will just be an arty damage nerf. Even if you don't use any of the new info to stay out of fire, being able to get away from the splash zone will reduce arty damage more than the +10% alpha/+50% pen Alternate shell could possibly make up for it.

Yeah, this mostly, fast tanks will be able to dodge long range arty shots quite easy (asuming it pings straight away), especially if you are driving, all you need to do it go left or right, and u dodge it (from a standstill it might be harder).

you can even turn your turret / front / gun in the right direction in time this way, to reduce incoming damage more (say if arty comes from the left, use right reverse, to move back and show ufp towards arty and should work nicely

also Ebrs are gonna be unkillable now by arty, unless rly unlucky, just make a handbrake turn and no way your gonna get hit

9 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

Yeah, this mostly, fast tanks will be able to dodge long range arty shots quite easy (asuming it pings straight away), especially if you are driving, all you need to do it go left or right, and u dodge it (from a standstill it might be harder).

you can even turn your turret / front / gun in the right direction in time this way, to reduce incoming damage more (say if arty comes from the left, use right reverse, to move back and show ufp towards arty and should work nicely

also Ebrs are gonna be unkillable now by arty, unless rly unlucky, just make a handbrake turn and no way your gonna get hit

I believe it wont work this way as becasue EBR's are going so fast, the mechanics wont register and u wont see a incoming hit marker.

You would have to be going 40kph and under as a guesstimate for it to trigger.

Not much has changed. SPG will do a bit less damage and won't kill crew.

I particularly love their fjords example of how the game will tell you where arty is aiming at and what-not.

The changes mean literally nothing when you already know arty has to be in those positions to hit you anyway and its not like you can fucking move there to avoid arty.
Just means more notifications that arty is shooting there beyond getting stunned and damaged.

Even if the changes don't actually put arta into its proper place (nonexistence), if the carcinogens believe it to be so and consequentially play arta a lot less, we'll get a favorable end result.