Snoregasm2

279(e) Missions - Tips and Tank Choices / Guide - 2021

The last patch may result in some adjustment of missions. It appears that arty missions that rely on stun/damaging a certain number of tanks remain viable. I don't expect those to be changed. The 260 series arty missions might require changes, though.

As mentioned above, crit missions are now an order of magnitude harder. The T49 and 183 mm tanks are not as consistent any longer, and the HE crit mechanics have changed to the detriment of the crit missions.

Conversely, block missions may now be easier. With less potent arty and less HE effect, and less HE being flung around, heavily armored tanks will probably live that much longer to fend off hits.

Just want to say this thread is awesome.  Thank you to all who participated.

Amazing to see some familiar faces in the thread from way back in 2013.  I need to do some research to see if I can update or add my NA username here so it matches my current NA account.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:17 PM, Snoregasm2 said:

Which missions with honours are you still stuck on to unlock additional orders?

I ended up re-completing Alliance-15. For the Alliance from the 279(e) Alliance set. Luckily, I didn't instantly sell the M41 Bulldog that I used to complete it without honors the first time, and even squeezed out a 3 mark on it while finishing with honors. It was well worth buying that and the B-C 12 t back to complete both the 15's but I did find the B-C 12 t a little more difficult to get 1st classes on. With Coalition-4 out of the way I'm now the proud owner of a 279(e), thank you to everyone for all the helpful advice and tank recommendations you've provided.

For those still in the Chimera operation it was Bloc-15 and Coalition-15 I did with honors along with all 4 from the Excaliber operation to get the requisite 6 to skip the Union and Bloc mission sets in the 279(e) operation. I'd say in hindsight Chimera Union-15 with honors and 279(e) Alliance-15 with honors would both have been about equal difficulty for getting that one additional order to skip Coalition-4. 

After playing 279e a bit, im sorta ``dissapointed``, based on forum crying, and opinion of unicums, i expected something atleast on par with beta IS4 or VK-B after buff (and before nerf).

So stick with VK-B first, its lfp was 200mm, so same as ufp, which is 310-330, depending on angle, the lfp beiing slightly weaker due to less angle, BUT because you shoot down, it was in practice as strong or stronger. The ``weakspot`` was thus the small turret face with 260mm, with in the centre an imprevious turret ring of 600m, and autobounce roof and side plates (side plates are 450mm, so even JP-E100 heat wont pen easy, rest bounces anyway)

So against AP, everyone except tier 10 tds could fuck themself, because even tier 9 tds cant do shit against you, and when loading gold, well, tier 7 and 8 cant do anything, while most tier 9 also will have serious problems, only heat spamming russian tanks have a chance, 310 apcr wont cut it. And this is without side scraping...

You could park your german wunder waffe in front of ppl and just kill them all, this thing was beastmode, better armour as t95, 50% faster, and a turret, YOLO

IS-4 from beta was just as retarded, because no gold ammo, and different mm, sometimes half the enemy team cant penetrate your side, at perfect angle, heck, some tanks (VK-DB) had problems penetrating your rear. Your turret was also imprevious to anything except overmatch (which was rare, because not many high caliber rounds) and your russian bias tm tracks would absorb ridiculous much damage also.

You could drive alone in a group of 3-4 mediums, get swarmed and survive, because shitty T23 and T43 cant really pen you, and head on, anything lower tier could fuck himself anyway (T32 could hardly pen the lfp) also this tank had 8 degress gun depression, because RUSSIA, this tank was so stupid, they nerfed the armour, gun depression and gave a different (weaker) gun when they made it tier 10...

its like current ST-1, except it gets 20mm more all-round armour, a better turret (IS4 turret), IS7 gun and keeps the gundepression, because why not.

279e is different, you dont have the imprevious VK-B front armour, same tier tds with AP will penetrate your front, gold ammo will pen you easy and you dont have high alpha dmg to shot trade the way a VK-B could so you need to expose all the time. Also lower tier can still hurt you badly a Ferdinand with APCR would still be screwed against a VK-B, an Jagdtiger with APCR will put holes in a 279e... the most retarded fights in wot i ever had where VK-B vs VK-B, because you dont have enough gold pen (311) to penetrate your own tank easy.. tier 8 medium with gold had 0% chance of penetrating a Vk-B, tier 9 mediums have no problems with 279 front...

279 also doesnt have the bs russian side armour (i assumed it had) it cant ignore weaklings to its side, because those weaklings will penetrate you quite easy, you need to keep your enemys in front at all times, so its also not an IS4.

Sure, when in good position the 279 is godmode / unkillable and against tier 8 / 9 tanks or against tanks with weak or no gold ammo, or when they dont know what to do this thing is stupid and OP, but thats about it. You cant push a flank and attack some campers, because you WILL get penetrated, you need to play tacticool and carefull, when you do its strong, but its thus not OP, in a full tier 10 fight, almost anything can penetrate your front, unless well positioned, the real deal, IS4, VK could just sit in the open and put a middle finger...

ps: i also think way to many people call way to many tanks OP, i hope next april fools WG puts back some old bs tanks for a week, like first test server version WTF-E100 with 6x560 and real laser gun, park 2 of those in prokhorovka forest and gg. Or the old pre nerf versions of IS7 or T54, or Mod 704, where it gets the old camo mechanics (it had E25 camo, gun arc like tortoise and ofc BL-10, fun fun fun).

First version`s of lorraine, Foch(-155) or E4 or T57 would also be `fun fun fun`, but there is countless bs tanks (E4 was also full retarded, not counting beta, its east one of the most nerfed tanks in wot still in-game, what a bs that one was at the beginning, howgod)

@GehakteMolen it's a tank that's incredibly powerful with just a bit of positional awareness. If you're being easily penned it probably means you're sloping down. If you position yourself sloping up between shots and make sure you're not heavily angled, you're impervious to most tanks. About 10 degrees sloped back gives you ~340-350 effective, which still means JPE and 268s can pen, and 121B/M60/5A/277 are 50-50 or 40-60 to pen, but the slew of new tanks with 300-315 premium pen you can just laugh off. You also don't want to be too close. In the right spot you can just shrug off tanks like crazy. It just sounds like you're not playing it right. If you expected a tank where you R-R-R and nothing can pen you, of course you'll be disappointed.

24 minutes ago, sr360 said:

@GehakteMolen it's a tank that's incredibly powerful with just a bit of positional awareness. If you're being easily penned it probably means you're sloping down. If you position yourself sloping up between shots and make sure you're not heavily angled, you're impervious to most tanks. About 10 degrees sloped back gives you ~340-350 effective, which still means JPE and 268s can pen, and 121B/M60/5A/277 are 50-50 or 40-60 to pen, but the slew of new tanks with 300-315 premium pen you can just laugh off. You also don't want to be too close. In the right spot you can just shrug off tanks like crazy. It just sounds like you're not playing it right. If you expected a tank where you R-R-R and nothing can pen you, of course you'll be disappointed.

Yeah, but then your more Maus / E3, good for defending and holding the line and slow pushing and not like old VK-B / IS4, because the moment you go forward, you cant keep perfect angle and you get penned.

Based on all the talk about: super armour, i expected a VK-B, but instead i get an E75, E75 armour is nice, but its not VK-B (not by a long shot)

Hi, I'm here to vent my frustration. :) But, seriously I'm struggling with the Battle Hero/Confederate (Coalition/Alliance respectively) missions like crazy.  I've read and re-read this thread as well as other 279 guides and feel I have a good idea for the overall meta and what's most optimal yet still I struggle.

At first I was using the suggested LTs to try and obtain them.  I like LTs and also the possibility of obtaining clutch patrol duty/scout medals but after having some success initially I ran into a really bad streak.  That and being exhausted from try-harding in ranked had me switching to arty which at first seemed easier and more relaxed but incredibly frustrating in the long term.

First frustration is queueing for battles.  SPGs and LTs have by far the longest queueing times (on NA) and I'd say I wait on average 1.5-3.5min for each battle.  T8 is a little better wait time than T9-T10 but still.  Add to this that I typically play in non-prime-time hours which makes things even worse.  It also hurts the MM so when I'm playing T8s I don't get to be same or top tier nearly as many times as in prime-time.

Second, I learned that if you die early you have to sit and wait for that battle to end so you can reset, no going into the next battle with another tank in the meantime, this exacerbates things further (obviously this happens less in SPGs).  I can offset this slightly by switching between Coalition/Alliance.

Third, while Confederate doesn't expressly require a win in essence it really does since you have to guarantee every single tank you damage will be killed by someone else.  I find that my WR in LTs falls dramatically when all I'm doing is trying to run around and damage 6 tanks without killing them.  It's even worse in SPGs, after playing my heart out to complete missions (ie, not to actually win) in the T9-10 French arties which I just bought they all have below 50% WRs.  And you need at least a 50% WR (not to mention damaging 6 separate tanks which happens much more often but I'd say my avg is more like 4-5) in order to get 5 medals in 10 battles, ie 1 out of 2 battles so how the heck am I ever going to complete that.  Yes, the Alliance 2 of 7 is easier but I don't even come that close.  My ratio is presently 3/20 in the 155 58, 0/9 in the 155 55, and I can't tell on the 3805 since I ground that line previously.  If I have to reset 10-20 times to get a single Confederate, how the heck am I going to get the other 4 (Coalition) or other 1 (Alliance) in the next 9 or 7 battles respectively?

Fourth, the teams and current meta.  I'm almost entirely dependent on them to win (always a bad idea in this game!) since arty never had a huge influence on wins pre-nerf (at least not when I play it) and post-nerfs certainly doesn't.  Not to mention I'm not hitting priority targets at all nor am I killing anything or assisting teammates, I'm just trying to desperately damage 6 unique vehicles as soon as I spawn in no matter what happens.  The 5-15 or 15-5 in 3-4min meta also ruins my chances of getting my 6 unique damaging hits in.

Fifth, counter-battery.  I seem to get CB'd about once every 5 games or so thus it's tempting to not move between shots for convenience, especially in the 155 58 with its three shell clip.  I know the answer to this is "well just move in between shots" which I am certainly capable of, but I'm not an arty main and just bought these arties to do these missions so am lazy to do it for some reason.  I also wanted to rant a tiny bit: IMO aside from CW or other competitive play counter-battery is a bogus mechanic at best.  Again IMO: the only real purpose it has is to grief others, and man does it grief the living shit out of me for sure.  As stated above arty never was a super huge factor in winning (ie, knocking it out early would give a none to at most light advantage to your team, especially after the first big arty re-work removed AP shells) and certainly isn't now.  I guess overall I find moving in between shots outside of competitive play a straight up annoying only-for-shitters mini-game made worse with a three shot clip.  End of rant. :)

Finally, to everyone and especially the guys saying that they "farm" confederates which I assume means in every second or third battle on average or so, any detailed tips or things to improve on?  Also, the guy who made the spreadsheet and figured out his medal and went for it: what was it and how did you achieve it?

Two completely separate questions on the overall 279 meta: 

First question: before starting a single 279 mission I worked hard to obtain all 8 orders.  In that case is the recommendation to skip one or two lines?  I see conflicting advice on this.  If I skip only one line I can't skip the supposedly now-impossible 25 internal modules mission and one other mission plus I have to do the 15th mission with honors.  If I skip two lines it allows me to skip those two individual missions but then I have to complete 30 missions instead of 15 overall.  Thoughts?

Second question: I put a lot of research into which lines people recommend skipping with orders in general.  The consensus seems to be Bloc and Union and Coalition if you want to skip a third.  But every now and again I run into a guide or a friend who did Bloc and/or Union and says they're easier.  Am I totally goofing up here by going for Coalition/Alliance?  My favorite and most played tanks are Bloc, for the past year or so I (almost exclusively) login and just play the Leo 1 and STB for hours and nothing else racking up 4.5k battles in the Leo and 2k in the STB.  I can rack up hours-long sessions of 4k WN8 battles but average more like 3k or slightly under.  When I read each 279 mission my first reaction is always "oh, ez pz" (for the non class specific missions) until I realize I'm restricted by nation and can't play Leo or STB.  Call me crazy but it's easier for me to get consistent damage in the Leo and STB instead of even a very strong tank like the Chieftain.  The only thing Coalition has going for it in recent OP-ness meta IMO is the Vz55 which is pretty darn strong.  Anyway, given all this would you guys recommend I shift my attention to Bloc?

Cheers!  As I said earlier this is the best guide/thread I've found on the topic across all the official forums and reddit.

4 hours ago, bounceplink said:

Hi, I'm here to vent my frustration. :) But, seriously I'm struggling with the Battle Hero/Confederate (Coalition/Alliance respectively) missions like crazy.  I've read and re-read this thread

The mission where u need 5 medals in 10 games? imo its 100% mission for a fast loading autoloader, you can then shoot 3 different tanks at the start and are alrdy halfway, all you need then is luck with winning :P (progetto 46, skoda t50, perhaps new tier 9 or 10 skoda heavy also works)

Imo with light tanks it just wont work (with arty, getting confederate is easy, use the t9 brit, it has a spam gun, hardest part is remembering which tank you shot :serb:but other medals not so much)

16 hours ago, bounceplink said:

Second question: I put a lot of research into which lines people recommend skipping with orders in general. The consensus seems to be Bloc and Union and Coalition if you want to skip a third. But every now and again I run into a guide or a friend who did Bloc and/or Union and says they're easier. Am I totally goofing up here by going for Coalition/Alliance? My favorite and most played tanks are Bloc, for the past year or so I (almost exclusively) login and just play the Leo 1 and STB for hours and nothing else racking up 4.5k battles in the Leo and 2k in the STB. I can rack up hours-long sessions of 4k WN8 battles but average more like 3k or slightly under. When I read each 279 mission my first reaction is always "oh, ez pz" (for the non class specific missions) until I realize I'm restricted by nation and can't play Leo or STB. Call me crazy but it's easier for me to get consistent damage in the Leo and STB instead of even a very strong tank like the Chieftain. The only thing Coalition has going for it in recent OP-ness meta IMO is the Vz55 which is pretty darn strong. Anyway, given all this would you guys recommend I shift my attention to Bloc?

Cheers! As I said earlier this is the best guide/thread I've found on the topic across all the official forums and reddit.

Make a list of all the missions and single out the ones you think you are going to struggle with and then start completing the easier missions first. For me that was 2 Top guns in 12 games for Union, 30 internal modules 10 games in both Coalition/Alliance, Spot/track 20 kills in 10 games for Alliance and  5 medals in 10 games for Coalition. I hadn't played any Bloc missions at the point where I started looking at completing the missions so I decided to skip that tree, I probably had 5-10 of the easiest missions done on Union/Coalition/Alliance at that point. 

It sounds like you should play the Bloc missions since a lot of them can be done in the mediums you are playing the most with. The issues will probably be either spotting or blocking missions, depending on what tanks you have.

17 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

The mission where u need 5 medals in 10 games? imo its 100% mission for a fast loading autoloader, you can then shoot 3 different tanks at the start and are alrdy halfway, all you need then is luck with winning :P (progetto 46, skoda t50, perhaps new tier 9 or 10 skoda heavy also works)

Imo with light tanks it just wont work (with arty, getting confederate is easy, use the t9 brit, it has a spam gun, hardest part is remembering which tank you shot :serb:but other medals not so much)

Okay, so the update is both of those missions are completed. :) For the 2/7 Alliance Confederate mission the 3805 was the trick, way better than the T9-10 French arty for Confederates IMO.  The 5/10 Battle Hero Coalition mission was done with the T8 Progetto.  It was about a zillion times easier and more consistent than either of the T9-10 French arties at Confederates and I also netted all sorts of "bonus" medals like Top Gun, the medal you get for killing tanks two tiers higher, etc.  I would strongly recommend going this route instead of the arties.  I think it's more reliable also because while you're not killing you're helping your team by clipping tons of tanks down to one-shots.  Thanks for the recommendation of the Prog!

5 hours ago, LoverJoy said:

Make a list of all the missions and single out the ones you think you are going to struggle with and then start completing the easier missions first. For me that was 2 Top guns in 12 games for Union, 30 internal modules 10 games in both Coalition/Alliance, Spot/track 20 kills in 10 games for Alliance and  5 medals in 10 games for Coalition. I hadn't played any Bloc missions at the point where I started looking at completing the missions so I decided to skip that tree, I probably had 5-10 of the easiest missions done on Union/Coalition/Alliance at that point. 

It sounds like you should play the Bloc missions since a lot of them can be done in the mediums you are playing the most with. The issues will probably be either spotting or blocking missions, depending on what tanks you have.

Thanks for the feedback!  I have every tank in the game researched, tons of 0-skill BIA crews, and bounty/bond equipment sitting around, it's just a matter of credits at this point and I did re-buy the tech tree T8 mini-Maus for earlier bounce missions already.  That said in the last 4 days I've done half of both Alliance/Coalition so I think I'll just continue with those for now.

So what is the current recommendation for the best way to get 25 (yes, it's been lowered from 30 to 25) internal modules in X amount of games post-HE nerf?  I have been checking how many internal modules I've been damaging while I've been doing the SPG missions and it's probably 1/10 hits or even worse like 1/20 hits you get one single internal module and that's it. :( T49 derp and shitbarn/deathstar are nerfed as well as part of the HE nerf so how?  Only thing I can think of is that crew skill that gives you more crits over time used in conjunction with an auto-loader.  Thoughts, guys?  Or just use two of my 8 orders to skip those as it's actually impossible or highly unlikely to occur within 100 battles per mission?

BTW what counts for internal modules these days?  Is it literally just ammo rack, radio, and engine, that's it?  Gun, turret, tracks, vision device, fuel tanks are all considered external right?  Or in non-Russian tanks are fuel tanks considered internal?  Crew don't count as well, right?

On 9/16/2021 at 2:34 PM, bounceplink said:

[SNIP]

If your preferred tanks are Bloc tanks, 100% go down that route. I did it by completing the Bloc missions as well - it was fun to play and so many of those missions were very easy in my favoured tanks. I basically did it playing a combination of HWK 12, tier 8 VK and Wt. Auf. Pz IV, with the best gun in the game.

I tried to complete Bloc with honours, so I could skip 3 lines, but in the end I gave up, as getting 3 Ace Tankers is just too RNG. I would have completed it about 2 weeks quicker if I hadn't have kept trying that. So my advice would be to pick 2 lines (Bloc and, by the sounds of it, Coaliton?), which allows you to skip individual missions, e.g. internal crits.

8 hours ago, bounceplink said:

Okay, so the update is both of those missions are completed. :) For the 2/7 Alliance Confederate mission the 3805 was the trick, way better than the T9-10 French arty for Confederates IMO.  The 5/10 Battle Hero Coalition mission was done with the T8 Progetto.  It was about a zillion times easier and more consistent than either of the T9-10 French arties at Confederates and I also netted all sorts of "bonus" medals like Top Gun, the medal you get for killing tanks two tiers higher, etc.  I would strongly recommend going this route instead of the arties.  I think it's more reliable also because while you're not killing you're helping your team by clipping tons of tanks down to one-shots.  Thanks for the recommendation of the Prog!

Thanks for the feedback!  I have every tank in the game researched, tons of 0-skill BIA crews, and bounty/bond equipment sitting around, it's just a matter of credits at this point and I did re-buy the tech tree T8 mini-Maus for earlier bounce missions already.  That said in the last 4 days I've done half of both Alliance/Coalition so I think I'll just continue with those for now.

So what is the current recommendation for the best way to get 25 (yes, it's been lowered from 30 to 25) internal modules in X amount of games post-HE nerf?  I have been checking how many internal modules I've been damaging while I've been doing the SPG missions and it's probably 1/10 hits or even worse like 1/20 hits you get one single internal module and that's it. :( T49 derp and shitbarn/deathstar are nerfed as well as part of the HE nerf so how?  Only thing I can think of is that crew skill that gives you more crits over time used in conjunction with an auto-loader.  Thoughts, guys?  Or just use two of my 8 orders to skip those as it's actually impossible or highly unlikely to occur within 100 battles per mission?

BTW what counts for internal modules these days?  Is it literally just ammo rack, radio, and engine, that's it?  Gun, turret, tracks, vision device, fuel tanks are all considered external right?  Or in non-Russian tanks are fuel tanks considered internal?  Crew don't count as well, right?

I got 8 tokens, so could skip 8 missions (or rather, 1 nation (US / UK) and skip 5 missions, the final mission, 3x 1e class in 20 games is not that hard, if you use the right tanks, i got 3 ace with TVP TVU so i finished it with honors (which wasnt actually needed) also Panther II, O-HO and a whole bunch of other sad loser tanks are good for getting 1e class

(for a teal player it might be harder)

Imo skipping 3 lines and finising 1 line 100% is way harder as just doing everything, especially if you have a big garage / most tanks, some missions are just annoying of time consuming (reseting 20x to get a proper start) however every nation has some impossible mission (like the crit hit mission...) so its better to skip that

ps: you can also skip 2 with each nation, but bloc and usa / uk have each 3 shit missions, so better to do all german missions except the shitty scout one, hehe

Hello!

Thanks again to everyone who's replied!

So I've made tons of progress and I wanted to share my feedback in case it helps anyone else in the future who finds this thread.

• T95 is 100% the tank to use for the Alliance block missions (-7 and -12).  I did both "first try" and found the following equipment loadout helpful: Improved Hardening, Grousers, Modified Config, along with a Pre-Battle maint (for Modified Config) directive.  Track repairs in about 2-2.5s with a 100% repair crew.  Try to stay at medium to long range in front of lower tiers if possible.  I would mostly just use my gun to track opponents (no dmg) to look (slightly) less like a bot.
  • For Alliance-3 I second the advice to get a solid first battle with like 8 (0.8 in progress) assisted kills.  It makes the other 9 battles so much easier and less stressful.  I used the Manticore with Optics/CVS/LNES and loaded it with a shit-ton of HE to track people with.  T49 with the small gun (firing HE to track) and T92 are also good choices IMO.  Using AP to track without penning can be done but it's a PITA especially when you are steamrolling the enemy team and don't have time to angle your shot just right.  Note: I noticed if the enemy is tracked on one side even if you track him on the other side and he dies I didn't seem to get credit.  Note: one interesting idea I read for a platoon strat recommended you take a fast firing MT and your mates take big TDs and you just roam together wolfpack style anywhere on the map and you track, they kill.  Someone also suggested small gun on UK tanks (extremely fast firing) but the Conqs are kinda slow overall.  Thought I'd mention it as it sounded like a good tip regardless.
  • For Alliance-8 and Coalition-4 (25 internal modules over 10 battles [down from 30 in patch 1.14]) I haven't done them yet (might just use orders, haven't decided) I wanted to share some ideas from research post-1.13 patch released mid-late June which nerfed HE.  Most people are now saying they are accomplishing this using either regular AP ammo with Deadeye skill and shooting into side/rear of tanks or using SPGs.  Note that Deadeye only works for AP, not HE, I re-learned that from my research.  Note on SPGs: you MUST use the "new" or "middle" HE shells as the old HE shells that also stun have a zero or near-zero chance of causing internal module damage according to what people were saying.  This is potentially a huge tip because I'd always lean towards the stun HE shells with their larger radius.  Some folks were saying aiming for a splash next to a tank is better for crits, but not sure on this.  I know this tactic works well to damage super armored tanks like the Maus that would normally "bounce" your HE shell, however.
  • For any mission requiring "top in battle by X" or requiring a win Draws somehow count as a win for both sides in terms of personal missions.  I thought this was weird because everywhere else in the game draws count as a loss for both sides.  I was freaking out when I got a draw only to see the mission progress on the results screen, was a nice surprise.  Also don't forget if you get a Battle Hero medal on a loss your XP is treated as though you won which helped me in one battle.

Aside from one mission I've done all Alliance and Coalition missions except for the internal modules missions and -15 missions for both.  The one outlier I've been struggling with is being top by damage 3/5 games.  This is exactly every other game and I swear if I just login and play without thinking I easily am top by damage every other game or so but click Start on a mission and everything goes to heck.  Using tomato.gg to filter by nation/tier and then sort by DPG has been helpful, and I recommend this for other missions as well (top XP, etc.).

Good luck to all!

Got it, woot woot!!

Summary of my efforts:

• Started with all 8 orders and zero 279e missions completed
  • Worked on it exclusively Sept. 13th - Sept. 29th or 16 days total (after completing ranked/recon #2)
  • 682 battles for 28 missions (30-2 for the two 25 internal modules/crew hits skipped with orders) so about 24 battles per mission on average
  • 7 battles per hour so 97hrs total
  • 6hrs/day for 16 days on average but in reality was one day of grinding 12-18hrs without break followed by 1-2 days off then repeat

Obviously after 4-5hrs I'm not nearly as sharp and you can imagine how sharp I am after 18hrs so this probably caused the average battles per mission to go up significantly.  Reading comments like "oh yeah just sat down a few hours per night over a couple weeks and casually completed all the missions" definitely drove up my tilt factor. :) Everyone was absolutely correct about the process driving you mad: it's absolutely infuriating at times.  For me this came down to three factors: the arbitrary nature of most of the missions, the missions at times causing you to completely ignore core aspects of the game such as winning, damage, and kills, and finally RNG stacked on top of RNG stacked on top of yet more RNG, stacked on top of... you get the point.  The 260 missions were far, far easier IMO due to being restricted by tank class instead of nation.  Not being able to use my comfortable Leo 1/STB1 tanks was absolutely killing me in certain missions.

I'm sure everyone is aware of the RNG but I thought it might be interesting to spell it out here for certain missions.  Okay, so once you click Battle! the dice start to roll..

• Most of the missions (or the tank you're using for the mission) are map dependent.  Right away, your success relies upon the map chosen for you.
  • Where you sit in the tiering is almost of equal import.  Trying to be top in damage?  If you're using a T8 tank good luck in a T10 match (4500-5500 avg required).  Trying for top XP?  Being bottom tier can actually be an advantage.
  • Don't play during primetime (6-midnight)?  Prepare for bad tiering.
  • Tank class team makeup.  Using an LT (commonly one of the best options)?  Hope that you're a solo LT or else there's a chance the other 2-3 LTs (probably more OP than yours due to nation restriction or tank restriction trying for Mastery badges) could steal your precious spotting damage.  Even if you're solo, is the enemy LT totally OP compared to yours?  Get f'd.
  • Is lordsheen or one of his many disciples who aren't necessarily even playing LTs  (for those of you not on NA basically YOLO sui-scouts) on the enemy team?  This alone can totally ruin an entire streak of missions you almost had complete.
  • Some dickhead arty blind-fires your bush?  Get f'd.  Some other super smart super highly skilled player using a derp gun blind-fires your bush?  Also get f'd.
  • Accidentally drive the wrong way one pixel-off down a hill?  Get f'd.
  • Battle ends in 3min and you didn't get a chance to spot/farm?  Get f'd.
  • 0-15 battle?  Get f'd.  Sometimes even 5-15 battles that last 4-5min are tough to accomplish missions in, especially if your team decides to spawn in and never leave the base.
  • Trying for top damage and you have an amazing 4-5k game in your T8 but some douche nozzle in a Vz55 got lucky and farmed 6k?  Get f'd.  Enemy team had a lucky shitbarn/deathstar that pen'd 3 shots? Get f'd.  I could go on..
  • 50 XP or 200 damage off achieving your mission but accuracy/pen/alpha RNG calcs treat you wrong?  Get f'd.

In probably calcs when you layer RNG upon RNG you multiply the chances together to obtain the real probability.  Let's say all of the above factors were one in two or 50% chances.  After just three factors of 50% each you're already down to a 0.125 chance, after 5 factors it's only 0.03125.  Obviously this isn't accurate but it begins to give an idea of what's required when you're on your 20th streak of 1/3 top damage games or 10th streak of 2/3 top damage games and then fail the mission yet again.  Map/tiering/team alone can spell an end to your streak.

Most frustrating missions for me:

• Alliance-3 (avg 2 spotted/tracked kills per battle)
  • Alliance-8 (25 internal module/crew hits [skipped])
  • Alliance-15 This one less so but it's definitely more difficult than the easiest missions.  I struggled with Alliance tanks whereas Coalition-15 was a cakewalk by comparison.
  •  
  • Coalition-3 (5 battle hero in 10 battles) Was frustrating (trying with arty) until I swapped to the Prog 46.
  • Coalition-4 (25 internal module/crew hits [skipped])
  • Coalition-8 (2 patrol duty in 12 battles) Was more difficult than I initially thought but ended up doing it with honors in the end.  Had to modify playstyle accordingly.
  • Coalition-14 (top damage 3 battles out of 5) OMFG BBQ this is BY FAR the most frustrating and difficult mission.  It took me dozens if not hundreds of battles to get this one completed.

Final updated thoughts on tank recommendations:

• For Alliance-15 I really struggled with the T8 Bulldog LT.  To me it just felt awful to play.  I got an Ace on the first game but then it was very difficult to replicate that success consistently.  I ended up working the T8 Pershing into the mix and had a much easier time.
  • Coalition-15 was extremely easy with the BC 12t, completed with honors.  That is a great recommendation.  I also got an Ace with the TVP VTU.  I preferred the 90mm on this tank.
  • Coalition-14 (most difficult mission IMO) I used the Bourrasque and Prog 46.  For me they were way more consistent than T50/TVP/Prog 65/Vz55/etc.
  • I think I mentioned it before but for whatever other Alliance missions big thumbs up for the Manticore and CS-52 LIS.

Even though Alliance/Coalition are the two most recommended lines to do as others have said if you are comfortable with Union/Bloc tanks do take a strong look at the missions and see if you feel more comfortable with them.  I can't say they're easier as I haven't done them yet but hopefully they'll trickle in over time now.

Cheers and thanks again for this awesome thread.

12 hours ago, sr360 said:

@bounceplink congrats. Now you can fulfil your username by playing the 279e and listening to them bounce and plink off you...

Thanks, mate.  If only I had it on that account as well but that account is sitting idle there in SEA. Here's my NA account if anyone's curious.

Hello, I am struggling a lot with Alliance-8: Simple Geometry. Even though they changed it to 25 internal crits, I cant complete it. I tried deathstar, derp sheridan, both british and american arties, S. Conq. and Caernarvon X, nothing really works. Penetrating or oneshotting tanks with Deathstar nor Thrashbarn does not get me criticals, some games with 5k dmg I dont get a single crit.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:50 AM, Squawks_Existentially said:

I'm having a ton of trouble making any progress on Coalition-4 A Crushing Blow post the 1.13 patch and it's HE nerf. Specifically, this line of the patch notes which I think has gone fairly unnoticed so far;

• The probability of causing critical damage to internal modules and crew members was decreased.

Anecdotally it seems to affect tank HE and also the pure damage HE shells on artillery which can still cause internal damage without a penetration unlike the stun rounds. So far I have tried,

• Standard B with HESH
  • Progetto 65 with HESH
  • Lorraine 155 51 with pure damage HE rounds
  • Bat Chatillon 155 58 with pure damage HE rounds
  • Foch 155 with HE
  • AMX M4 ml. 54 with HE out of the 130mm gun

Not a single one has averaged 3 internal criticals per game for me, in fact I would say they are all averaging closer to 1 to 1.5. I would expect this mission to be re-balanced eventually alongside some of the more traditional artillery missions (stun duration, etc.), but until such time has anyone got any big brain ideas that I might have missed? Honestly my platoon mates were getting similar numbers of internal crits playing normal tanks shooting AP. I'm thinking I might need to shoot for another 15th mission with honors just to skip this particular mission and also skip the Union and Bloc sets. 

Same problem here, I tried deathstar, multiple arties, derp sheridan, Pens, 5k dmg battles yet no critical hits. Only time I got close was with E5 using ap, but im struggling to complete it.

3 hours ago, Ceckoplesk said:

Same problem here, I tried deathstar, multiple arties, derp sheridan, Pens, 5k dmg battles yet no critical hits. Only time I got close was with E5 using ap, but im struggling to complete it.

If it's correct that HE crits are nerfed even on pens, the best way would probably be something with a high rof gun and deadeye perk.
Will be a pain in the ass, but doable with a few tries.

Learn where different tanks have their fuel tanks and engine, lighting people on fire will be a huge help.

I can only advise with the latest changes to HE that this has become an almost mandatory skip. I know that's not ideal, but the excess orders are there for that reason, and if you have any left over i would genuinely recommend you save yourself the headache of trying to complete that mission.

Failing that, engine fires are your friend. High ROF, fast tank to get to the side / rear of a tank, Deadeye perk if you can get it and just hunt those engine shots. 

I am trying to complete with E5 and S conq, for I found out they can do 2-3 criticals a game, even more, if its a long one. It just takes a loooot of trying and I tend to fail at the end. I have good crews, good DPG but still it is very RNG dependend. I will skip probably, but that forces me to complete some other mission.