PieterJ

What tanks to put arty detection on?

On 6/27/2021 at 9:44 PM, Balthazars said:

Okay, not having a crew with the skill (because none skilled enough) exactly what does Sound Detection give you that isn't part of the other changes? The warning sound and marking out the anticipated tracer flight path, right?

I honestly can't tell if I'm just imaging things but since the patch, if I'm already in the vicinity of an incoming arty round, your sound turns 'hollow' (that muffled sound like you're underwater) before the round lands, so you already get some warning (not much, admittedly, but for a mobile tank, it has proven enough in cases where I'm paying attention) that you're in the area and about to get crapped on. Add in the visible tracers and the map ping and I do already feel like I'm suffering less from arty so far, despite the fact the MM is swarming with them since the patch dropped. With these already helping out, the opportunity cost still seems way too high unless your commander is ridiculously pimped out.

Also agree that new Intuition seems super powerful on a wide range of tanks, but I have it on a tiny handful of tanks, so will likely need to drop a lot of credits/gold for retraining I think.

That "hollow" sound is actually the sound you get when you're stunned - it means the round has already landed lmao.  However, here's a tip - you can actually hear arty firing from anywhere on the map.  Might need to have LoS to them? not sure.  But I was playing on Kharkov today and noticed that if I looked towards where enemy arty was, I could hear a low booming sound every time a tracer showed up and started arcing towards us, even if it didn't trigger Sound Detection for me.  It's really tough to pick out when you're paying attention to a dozen other things at once, but if you're just bush wanking like I was at the time then it's easy to notice.

Anyways, the sound detection thing gives you a visual HUD warning, the warning sound, but no marker of the anticipated flight path - you basically just have to guess where exactly "Near you" it's going to land, so it's super context sensitive. 

For example, during that game on Kharkov today where I had knocked down some trees to try and make a bush better, waited for what i thought was long enough.  Was moving up into the bush, Sound detection went off, immediately backed up and dodged the shot completely cleanly, because obviously arty is shooting into the bush nest I just made.

My general rule is that if I'm sitting still and I get the warning, I move towards whichever direction either keeps me unspotted or gets me towards hard cover, which is usually just backwards.  If I'm moving, I generally just release W and hit a turn button for a bit, then start accelerating again.

re: Intuition, I'd really only put it on tanks that have A. a longish reload, and B. a need to switch ammo often due to an alternate ammo type having high utility (so, TDs with HESH, 152mm T49 with the HEAT, most arty).  I guess if you care enough about credit expenditure to be super mindful of what you shoot gold at, then it could be useful for quickly swapping to something else to slap a light tank with.

5 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

That "hollow" sound is actually the sound you get when you're stunned - it means the round has already landed lmao.  However, here's a tip - you can actually hear arty firing from anywhere on the map.  Might need to have LoS to them? not sure.  But I was playing on Kharkov today and noticed that if I looked towards where enemy arty was, I could hear a low booming sound every time a tracer showed up and started arcing towards us, even if it didn't trigger Sound Detection for me.  It's really tough to pick out when you're paying attention to a dozen other things at once, but if you're just bush wanking like I was at the time then it's easy to notice.

Anyways, the sound detection thing gives you a visual HUD warning, the warning sound, but no marker of the anticipated flight path - you basically just have to guess where exactly "Near you" it's going to land, so it's super context sensitive. 

For example, during that game on Kharkov today where I had knocked down some trees to try and make a bush better, waited for what i thought was long enough.  Was moving up into the bush, Sound detection went off, immediately backed up and dodged the shot completely cleanly, because obviously arty is shooting into the bush nest I just made.

My general rule is that if I'm sitting still and I get the warning, I move towards whichever direction either keeps me unspotted or gets me towards hard cover, which is usually just backwards.  If I'm moving, I generally just release W and hit a turn button for a bit, then start accelerating again.

re: Intuition, I'd really only put it on tanks that have A. a longish reload, and B. a need to switch ammo often due to an alternate ammo type having high utility (so, TDs with HESH, 152mm T49 with the HEAT, most arty).  I guess if you care enough about credit expenditure to be super mindful of what you shoot gold at, then it could be useful for quickly swapping to something else to slap a light tank with.

The 'hollow' sounds starts before the shell land, but obviously it's more pronounced if you actually get hit/stunned. I was referring to what you describe in the latter part, in that you hear that low booming sound and the rest of your audio will also get dulled. All before the shell hits, so it definitely still serves as a warning - obviously not so effective if you're in something really slow, or if the shell travel time is really close, but it's still something, which again makes them introducing the sound detection skill all the more confusing to me.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:32 PM, kolni said:

I misses that lol, then it’s clearly very very useful

Might actually be one of the best skills in game right now, or so I would think, not sure how much more reliable HEAT got against sides and tracks with the changes.

Maybe I should play this game again, reinstalled yesterday.

I only play arty for missions so I haven't played a single game of clicking since 1.13, but from the receiving end it still kinda hurts to get hit.  At least the arty has to choose between big damage + crits and stun, so you don't get both at once.

Most arty mains are really bad at arty though, so any removed crutch is bound to be received as a game breaking nerf.

On 7/3/2021 at 12:21 AM, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Anyone playing these days think 1.13 is a meaningful reduction in arty power?

On 7/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, Panzergraf said:

Most arty mains are really bad at arty though, so any removed crutch is bound to be received as a game breaking nerf.

Surprisingly enough it kind of actually is, but only because the average pre-patch arty main is, as Panzer says, a brain-dead vegetable.  Judging by the amount of no-arty battles I've been getting lately as @GehakteMolen mentioned, most arty mains can't handle it.  I actually see stupid bullshit pens more often in games with arty and stun is just as annoying as it's always been - because almost every player left playing arty is actually a thinking human being and not a drooling imbecile who has to hunt and peck WASD every time they want to relocate.

Idk how many of you play high tier arty since the patch - but for those who have, how many times have you been able to CB someone even with the new and very obvious tracers since the patch dropped? 

I can remember only one personally, all the rest are from CB'ing retards in M44's on my recruit account.  

So I guess my actual answer is "sort of" - you're more likely to get zero or single-arty games, which is fucking fantastic.  But the arty is more likely to be competent, in return, because the skill floor has raised just high enough that you need more than just a pulse to play it.