ub3r_Sn1p3r

An ST-I guide/review

So I just finished up "grinding" my ST-I, which is said as "ESS-TEE-ONE" and NOT as "ESS-TEE-EYE"  because this tank is not a sexually transmitted infection from your mother.

I say "grinding" because I pretty much only played it on doubles and got through the whole grind from near-bone-stock to IS-4 in 117 battles with only 5k free exp used lol.

anyway, here is a guide on the tank:

1) SIDESCRAPE SIDESCRAPE SIDESCRAPE SIDESCRAPE SIDESCRAPE....oh, did I mention you need to SIDESCRAPE? 

Seriously, this tank can put a MAUS to shame with the proper sidescrape angle, and most maps have a key rock/building that you can sex and sidescrape with for maximum lulz.  I wish WG kept track of average damage taken per battle because it would be a fuckton with this tank.  I have many a time made FOCH 155 players rage due to taking every shot for no damage and proceeding to HEAT them in the face.

2)  Nowhere to sidescrape? No problem, use depression.

Sometime you can't sidescrape, but have no fear because the gun depression and turret strength combo rivals that of the T32.  The turret is near-impenetrable to ALL guns except for a very small hatch lip on the left side (looking head on) or a very very lucky shot right at the top-front of the turret above the gun.  This combined with a very good gun result in a menace of a tank to dig out of a depression in the ground.

3)  In the open like a noob? No problem, use armor.

If all your other options fail and you have to take on an enemy on their terms, have no fear.  The front armor is very very good on this tank and can be used effectively in tier 9 rooms.  In tier 9 you are very immune to most guns and if you keep a good angle and/or move side-to-side you present a very very tough target.  The LFP is a weakspot however, so watch out for tanks penning you there.  In tier 10 rooms/clan wars rooms be careful about exposing your armor, the UFP is still strong but try to stay far away and move side to side.

The gun is also very good and be used effectively for anything 

In conclusion:  This tank is OP, just flat out OP and all of you need to abuse it to its full potential.

SETUP:  Vert. Stab., GLD, Rammer........repair kit, med kit, Auto fire

crew:  Commander: BIA, Sit. Aware., repairs

gunner: BIA, snapshot, repairs

driver: BIA, clutch-braking, repairs

loader1: BIA, safe-stowage, repairs

loader2: BIA, repairs, anything you want

here is a pic of my stats after:

ICkeZJ8.jpg

and here is a replay, where I unfairly crush peasants:  http://wotreplays.com/site/330558#karelia-ub3r_sn1p3r-st-i

My god, I'm having a terrible time with the grind on this. Feels like a waste of credits.

Stock turret is penned by everything, Tier 10 games 70% of the time due to West server, and worse reload than the IS3 with the same gun. And with the turret, the fucking pubbies don't even know they can pen my turret, they just shoot at it like the bad players they are and pen.

My god, I'm having a terrible time with the grind on this. Feels like a waste of credits.

Stock turret is penned by everything, Tier 10 games 70% of the time due to West server, and worse reload than the IS3 with the same gun. And with the turret, the fucking pubbies don't even know they can pen my turret, they just shoot at it like the bad players they are and pen.

Aw yes, the stock turret is fairly bad and the bl-9 is disappointing at times, so it is important early on to not be alone (so you dont get rushed) and to only expose yourself when taking the shot.  (make sure to have GLD and VSTAB otherwise aim time is hilariously too long) 

but keep on with the grind! it is worth it, soon (when upgraded) you will laugh in the face of those same baddies as you take 10k pot. dmg. and lose no hp

One of my favourite tanks, it's nearly invincible to the random pub scrub.

H9 starting from North spawn with a little backup against being rushed and it's yamyam-time.

Still waiting for this tree to go on special so I can pick one of these up. I already have the IS-4 from when they rebooted the tree, but I've heard so many ST-I stories that I still had to grind through the KV-4 to unlock the ST-I for later. I'm grinding through the IS-8 on the other tree, and it seems to be using cardboard for armor.

I don't own an E-75 but whenever I see one in my ST-1 it's usually pretty much over for him :)

I don't remember the last time an E-75 beat my ST-I 1v1

Its a great tank; so long as you hide that LG, wiggle your turret, and don't take high tier arty shells to the driver viewport (That happened once... I died), and don't get exposed to TD fire from range. I learned the capabilities of the new TD line the hard way (Its most enjoyable hitting them with HE).

I can, in a good position, easily take a tier ten out. I need to work on my potatoing though...

Note: It is NOT a fun stock grind without having gone through the Is-7 line. Which I'll be starting... Whenever I get a nice crew together for it.

Necroing for good reason. I bought this tank, because what the hell, its on sale.

I had the bl9 and stock turret.... omg this tank blows. 

I had more hope for this tank, so being the drunken fool that I am, I decide to blow 25k free xp on the turret. OMG!!!!

The turret and gun absolutely make this tank amazing. 

24 hours of grinding this and the RHM made for a nice 3900 WN8. 

I cant wait for the engine to give it a little boost to mobility.

I noticed this thread popped up again. My opinion of this tank has changed drastically since I last played it. 

Now that I have all of the modules unlocked its a beast. I have had those games where I take no damage whatsoever and I'm even on the front line pushing.

The gun goes through Tier 9s and most 10s like their nothing. The armour when sidescraped is rivalling of the E75. 

Definitely worth sticking to the grind.  :thumbup:

How does the ST-1 compare to the E-75? There seem to be similarities in how they can be used.

One of the weaknesses for the e75 is its turret front imho. With sprem the flat 252 is not enough anymore. The st-1 doesn't have that problem.

One of the weaknesses for the e75 is its turret front imho. With sprem the flat 252 is not enough anymore. The st-1 doesn't have that problem.

What the ST-I gains in turret armour it loses in hull armour. It is just gimped against gold, straight pens. An E-75s UFP is more resistant, but then its got a bigger LFP/weaker turret. Oh and the ST-I has those stupid bleedin side slants- the bits to the left and right of the UFP. ST-I comes out on top for me, but it's personal choice. Oh and turret armour beats hull armour (which is incidentally still very good, just weaker than an E-75, afaik).

Do you guys have issues with fires? I run preventive maintenance and auto FE, and fires seem pretty common.

No more than any Russian tank, made of fuel tanks and powered by vodka.

So it's discounted thanks to the on track event, thought I'd give it a try. Already had an IS-4 courtesy of the tech tree changes however long ago, and I used free XP for the remaining modules.

The gun handling leaves much to be desired, even with dual aiming mods and snap shot, and it's kinda' sluggish. Also the gun keeps getting damaged by people trying to shoot through the mantlet.

Still, I'm quite liking it. It reminds me somewhat of the old tier 9 T34, but with hull armor. Doesn't quite have the killer DPM, but one can only ask for so much. Only 37 matches in, but things are going fairly well so far. Crew stinks as they're the leftovers grabbed from here and there. I'll have safe stowage soon.

qtXiZTm.png

Edit: Yep, lost my gunner and gun in the same shot after using my repair kit and med kit on my gunner and gun.