Expendable_Lad

Ranked Q3 2021 - Hive Mind Questions

Hey Wotlabs Crew - 

Noticed a lack of Ranked discussion recently. As a Blue-ney who has never even thought about it, want to hear out the Wotlabs Team on general thoughts and a few questions:

• Is it worth it? Enjoyable the same way randos are? I only have a handful of tens and don't play them often (if they were profitable, I prob would play more) so while I can definitely perform, it's not my go-to. But maybe it's a good place to pop boosters to avoid losing $ and start perfecting my play. 
  • It's basically personal-score maximizing, right? Unless I see a clear avenue to the Win by taking a hit, I should guard my HP like grim death to avoid ever losing a point?
  • Any other words to the wise or tips for a decent player thinking of getting into it? Would prob jump in with Leo, Kranvagn, STB, 268 and 50B. 

Thinking it could be a way to change it up. Merci d'avance!

i played 5 games, still total fuck, so not even gonna bother, even if 279 or chieftain would be reward i would 100% not even try

ranked brings forth the worst wot has to offer (minus the arty) and 10 vs 10 even more so (stupid camp, stupid lemmingtrains, if 1 flank fails, u lost etc)

If i could choose between ranked and steel hunter as worsy possible game mode, it would be very hard

ps: why not make 8 bit, Karl or serbs balls of steel a game mode with ranked, that would be fun, and also no gold ammo, hull down bs tanks and other shit

8-nit:

And serbrs moon balls:

I like the 10v10 format
I like that they banned reward tanks
I like the rewards, and you don't even need to make the leagues to earn lots of bonds (and a million credits just for qualifying)

I don't like the hulldown ridgeline meta, which is in part because of the map selection
I don't like that it's limited to just certain hours - most of which I am at work during
I don't like the arbitrary "role bonus" thing
I don't like that some players of the winning team aren't given chevrons. Plenty of things you can do to help win the match aren't directly rewarded by XP, and it just incentivices ego play as it's better to be on top of the losing team than bottom of the winning team.

And I'd prefer if it was any other tier. Tier 9 ranked would be fun, maybe.

How I am playing ranked:

>Select Vz 55

>Press Battle

>RR to some aggressive position

>Pew Pew

>Easy chevrons

The rewards for ranked are pretty nice imo, a lot of bonds.

I love 10v10 Ranked MM. Limited EBRs and arty. Maps are opened up because every lane and angle cannot be stuffed. Mobility rules.

So far I've just done 10 qual battles. Fully field modded Bat25t has been amazing. Float the offside in Stealth mode or else support the LT in Gun mode. 120% chevs even with some stupid derp games.

Once I move into the leagues I'll rotate in the EBR, RhmPz and Leo1. It's a good amount of bonds for 11-27 hours of WoT.

I'm at the 95% chevron, yesterday i won 5/15 or something like that. I cant say it's enjoyable, but my goal is to get 3 chevrons per season so i can get the tank in the end. Theme of this season is camping mediums and failing miserably. I don't remember one game that we won which had snipers (when I say snipers, i mean the ones that are on the right flank, not on the other side of the map). I'm surprised how little VZ 55s are there (usually 1 or 0 per team), while at least one Kran is a mandatory per team.

It’s worth the time in a reward/effort ratio if you’re prepared for how gameplay looks in every ladder across every game.

It’s pretty brutal if WoT’s been your only game since gameplay doesn’t look like this since people that want to compete get paired with a lot of casual players every game. In Ranked that’s not true. It’s just a total waste of time without effort so while you’ll still be paired with objectively bad players they’re going to resort to whatever method is the most effective to win. It’s been ridgeline poking as the trading pattern is straightforward and hulldown tanks do this best so every player which simplifies their gameplay a lot but when this is done en masse it becomes a lot harder to fight against unless you do the same. 

Ranked is like if you had an entire match made up by players tryharding an MoE. 

I absolutely hate it because I can’t play the game the way I excel at, but time spent for equipment/bonds compared to grinding it out through other other means is pretty good. It pretty much boils down to how highly you value the reward. I like efficiency but once past the point of needing more equipment it’s just a straight up horrible experience. 

I remember wishing for a ranked mode long ago for competition, but straying further away from WoT and into other games I realised the competition in a casual gamemode was the charm all along with the game. Being able to dunk on casuals while competing with strong players at the same time is what I liked about it. 

Vz 55 or 2021 bushwank is probably the easiest way to go

@Expendable_Lad: you're a far better player than me, so you will do just fine.

I gave it a "serious" try for the first time since I play WoT. Currently in the 2nd division.

Is it worth it?

I guess this is really personal and depends on how you define worth. E.g. I played a clan war campaign and got the Chief but I am utterly shite in it, so in retrospective it was not worth the tank, but it was worth the experience and friendships.

Even as a mediocre player I have the feeling that Ranked gives me new insights and teaches me some patience which I can use in Randoms. 

I hope though, that I will use the Concept better than the Chief.

Is it personal-score maxing?

Yes, yet I would sometimes sacrifice myself to do a key play and take out a tank in a key position.

Sometimes just to piss someone off :P.

I guess the key is not to have any bad games, when the team is losing.

Any other words...

I suck at hull down, so I took the Progetto. 140 has been put on fire too many times.

On EU there are many many many Kranvagns.

34 minutes ago, InconnuGlitterBoy said:

Any other words...

I suck at hull down, so I took the Progetto. 140 has been put on fire too many times.

Dude. I still do this all the time. I'll be on a ridge line thinking I am maxing out gun depression and being taking shots to the lower plate - I move my mouse down and be like "oh, there's another 4 degrees to use here" it's a seriously bad habit I am working on. 

Anyone with an idea which off meta tanks could work? Want to play around the bond limit.

At the moment I am giving the E50 Ausf. M a try,  Turbo, Hardening, Rotation as a 2ndary config, to ram all those light meds.

Seems to be working:

shot_086.jpg

8 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

Dude. I still do this all the time. I'll be on a ridge line thinking I am maxing out gun depression and being taking shots to the lower plate - I move my mouse down and be like "oh, there's another 4 degrees to use here" it's a seriously bad habit I am working on. 

I am really really bad at it. 140 - 57% WR, STB-1 - 39% WR.

And I played the STB-1 in a CW campaign :/.  But only on one map (Westfield, K0 rush).

On 9/10/2021 at 6:24 PM, Expendable_Lad said:

The trick to this is zoom>aim down>W before you poke and NOT during and you’ll get it down eventually

18 hours ago, kolni said:

The trick to this is zoom>aim down>W before you poke and NOT during and you’ll get it down eventually

With I could upvote 10x. Will start practicing. 

10v10 is pretty nice as far as opening up the map and making it less of a locked down campfest, on some maps.

I think the meta gets sour as you go up in divisions because people start trying harder to "not lose" vs trying to win. I've found if you make an aggressive move and it works you're rewarded heavily, but you may also make a winning play and not get chevrons because you die too early. I'll spam HELP a few times when I'm pushing and hope for the best.

Fast tanks are key to consistency but harder to make moves unless you have some armor.

Here's a decent example of making a play, could have gone worse because my pubbies didn't actually push with me they just hung back to try to farm the guys i was pushing but it was clear the is-7 and kran on the 1 line were isolated, always look for isolated tanks and try to get a group to go with you to push them.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/6021356#cliff-drj_zoidberg-object_277

On 9/14/2021 at 11:09 PM, kolni said:

Well, this might be the most practicable thing (for me) I have read about WoT (on here).

Thank you.

Finished at 136.5%, which puts me about 50 positions under gold league. I wonder how far the 20% gold bracket will expand by the end, is it worth playing league games to try to push higher or just wait for more shitters to finish to inflate the league size?

2017 people finished total right now, would need that up to 2300 minimum with none of them ranking higher than 460 to make the cutoff 🤔

Update:

After todays battles, there's now 2197 people finished, but I moved down to 504th place and the cutoff for gold went up 1% so it seems mostly good players finishing today haha. Fuck.