Panzergraf

Recon Mode - Test New Maps

For those out of the loop, as I know many here are semi-retired from pixel tanks:
Recon Mode is a new game mode that's basically randoms, but limited to a week or so at a time, tier 8-10 only, and instead of the normal map rotation you get one of three new maps in development.

Last time the maps in question were Far East, Outpost, and Airship Yard. All 1000x1000m maps.
I liked all of them personally, not perfect maps, but better than many of the current random maps.
Airship Yard was perhaps my favorite, as the heavy brawls in the airship factory-think was better and less stale than most heavy brawling areas on other maps. The open flank was fine too, though I didn't get this map that often in medium tanks.
Outpost was according to WG the most liked maps, which I don't get as it was my least favorite one, and the forum pubbies seemed to agree with me there. Still not a bad map by WoT standards, and I wouldn't block it.
Far East was fun too, but looked less finished overall than the other two.
All maps had in common that you could make any type of tank work on them, which I really like.

This iteration of Recon Mode has another three maps - Volga, Place of Power, and Foothills. The first two are 1000x1000 maps. Kinda open, but with a decent built up heavy brawling flank that will make E100's and such feel more at home than at Prok or Mali. The third one is 1200x1200m, and as such larger than any other map in the game outside of Grand Battles or Frontlines. City on one flank, river and hills on the other, and a huge field in the middle. Unlike other maps with huge fields in the middle, you might make this work because the huge size of the map means it could be possible to slip between the spotting radiuses of tanks on either flank.

So far, again, these three new maps seem fine and are not bad by WoT standards. I haven't played that many games of recon mode yet this time around, though.

i will see if i play it a bit this weekend, last time i sorta liked the airshipyard

The ``medium side`` was quite big with a lot of ways of going forward, not an open shooting zone like 90% of the current maps

Outpost easy the worst of the 3, so ofc wg is gonna put that one in...

Turns out games in this mode count towards MOE, so if you're sick of getting Mali and Prok while trying to mark your big fat heavies, give it a go. Had a 5k game followed by two 6.5k ace games in my E75 just now, finally getting my third mark.
Once you figure the maps out (not hard), before most pubbies do, it's pure Farmville.

after playing them a bit:

1: Volga, like all winter maps, bad, the city is grindlock camp fest, middle is an open shooting range and the hill is mweah, bad map

2: Foothills, this is a good map, soem small balance changes and would easy be one of the better maps of the game

3: Place of power, okish for heavys, bad for tds, and really good for meds and light, decent map and better as half the maps we have atm

I actually liked the last iteration of maps better than this set-- they had much more vision/flank opportunities. Contrary to the rest of the people here, I loved Outpost, as my numerous 8k+ spotting games on that map show.

This set are very much heavy-centric. Volga is easily the worst, for the reasons @GehakteMolen outlined above. Foothills is one-dimensional - the city is key. The 1-2 line needs SUBSTANTIAL rework. As it is, it's basically Overlord beach where you go get stalled without advancing opportunities and without a way to exit. The mid is denied by the camping TDs near base. Place of Power has potential, as it allows for fast flanking maneuvers. The middle spot is super powerful and needs to be nerfed. I posted 2 videos in my channel of me dominating from that spot, but I have many other replays of platoonmates getting there and shredding.

2 hours ago, sr360 said:

I actually liked the last iteration of maps better than this set-- they had much more vision/flank opportunities. Contrary to the rest of the people here, I loved Outpost, as my numerous 8k+ spotting games on that map show.

This set are very much heavy-centric. Volga is easily the worst, for the reasons @GehakteMolen outlined above. Foothills is one-dimensional - the city is key. The 1-2 line needs SUBSTANTIAL rework. As it is, it's basically Overlord beach where you go get stalled without advancing opportunities and without a way to exit. The mid is denied by the camping TDs near base. Place of Power has potential, as it allows for fast flanking maneuvers. The middle spot is super powerful and needs to be nerfed. I posted 2 videos in my channel of me dominating from that spot, but I have many other replays of platoonmates getting there and shredding.

Yeah, crossing middle and hugging that rock seems way to powerfull, BUT there are no lights / tds covering that at start yet, once ppl figure that out, it might be a bit different

ps: also hardly anyone seems to do it, not once i got rushed there, while i did that map lik 10 times in 2 days

ps ps: and volga really seems bad map, will be mega campfest where pushing is super risky, unless u have a good scout, so fun fun fun....

It's a good idea to make them available to the general populace to obtain feedback, but making them count towards random stats and MoE is IMO a mistake (and not very clear when you boot it up), and I know a lot of players who could provide good feedback (i.e. better players) avoid it for this reason.

The whole point is the maps might be unbalanced, so why take a chance to ruin your grind if they are? If they were basically FL or a mode that just doesn't count towards random stats, i'd be inclined to play it.

7 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

It's a good idea to make them available to the general populace to obtain feedback, but making them count towards random stats and MoE is IMO a mistake (and not very clear when you boot it up), and I know a lot of players who could provide good feedback (i.e. better players) avoid it for this reason.

The whole point is the maps might be unbalanced, so why take a chance to ruin your grind if they are? If they were basically FL or a mode that just doesn't count towards random stats, i'd be inclined to play it.

Quite the opposite, though. The 3 map rotation removes some of the randomness from the usual rotation. Last iteration was 2 vision centric maps — so if you played an LT you were guaranteed a 66% chance of a Prok or Mali. This go around 3 heavily brawl maps. People I know played their heavies to try to rack up marks so they wouldn’t get LT maps. 

5 hours ago, sr360 said:

Quite the opposite, though. The 3 map rotation removes some of the randomness from the usual rotation. Last iteration was 2 vision centric maps — so if you played an LT you were guaranteed a 66% chance of a Prok or Mali. This go around 3 heavily brawl maps. People I know played their heavies to try to rack up marks so they wouldn’t get LT maps. 

I guess i've not played it enough / know enough about the maps to consider that angle, which is fair.

Do you know any streamers who play it, so I can learn some of the meta without playing it myself?

4 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

I guess i've not played it enough / know enough about the maps to consider that angle, which is fair.

Do you know any streamers who play it, so I can learn some of the meta without playing it myself?

Normally I’d look around but Recon mode ended on NA this weekend. The other issue is that the meta took several days to solidify which can be a challenge. Maybe next time?

On EU server today is also recon i think (or did it end 10:00 this morning, rly annoying, because it looks like its also monday, O WAIT IT ISNT)

edit: on EU the mode is still there, dunno if anyone streams though :P

9 hours ago, sr360 said:

Normally I’d look around but Recon mode ended on NA this weekend. The other issue is that the meta took several days to solidify which can be a challenge. Maybe next time?

Its still up on NA through Tuesday until 2300 PDT.

Didn’t like any of the previous ones simply because they could have been done better in obvious ways but I kept having really good games almost no matter how I tried to play them so no harm no foul.. would have tried to abuse the E6 mark through vision abuse if I realised how easy assist farming was earlier on

Might see some players try the VK this time around 

All 3 new maps are terrible, the snow map can perhaps be fixed, but the island is like a bigger airfield, with even more shitty camp spots (and it also has an airfield, hurr durr) while the desert map is just a hull down shitfest, with huge open death zones, so like a bigger sand river

And given that both sand river and airfield are among the worst fucking maps of the game, GG

The worst map of the previous 3, Wolga, is 2x better as any of these 3 shit maps...

ps: so im sure the russian peasants will love it, and wg will put them in the game :serb:

9 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

All 3 new maps are terrible, the snow map can perhaps be fixed, but the island is like a bigger airfield, with even more shitty camp spots (and it also has an airfield, hurr durr) while the desert map is just a hull down shitfest, with huge open death zones, so like a bigger sand river

And given that both sand river and airfield are among the worst fucking maps of the game, GG

The worst map of the previous 3, Wolga, is 2x better as any of these 3 shit maps...

ps: so im sure the russian peasants will love it, and wg will put them in the game :serb:

Yeah, I think the Oyster Bay island map is amongst the worst maps I've seen. The Canyon (desert) map is at least playable if you have hull down tanks but it is indeed a series of hull-down brawlzones. The snow map is overcomplicated with too many nooks and crannies but can be fixed as you say

I've had some pretty good matches on the snow and desert maps, but only in good hull down heavy tanks (AE Phase and C1B). Those two maps feel like they really favor such tanks, as all the good locations are either ridgelines or have those little rubble mounds that hide your hull. Not a fan of that meta, especially not after torturing myself through ranked (where most of the maps have those issues too). So far I haven't played many games in tanks other than those two mentioned, or at least tanks similar to them, and I don't think I would enjoy doing so either.

The snow map has some vertical cliffs in the middle that are, according to WG, good for super heavies. I guess I could go there if I want to be irrelevant for most of the game and then get surrounded and killed as the opposing team takes the two flanks.

The hill on the desert map seems to be a lot less dominant than you'd think. It's certainly not Mines 3.0, but I agree it feels a bit like Sand River.

The island map was just bad. It's interesting that it's 1300x1300 though, making it even larger than Foothills, but being an island means its playable area is smaller. Overall the map feels cramped.

Like you guys, I like every single one of the previous 6 maps more than any of these 3.