WhatTheSkara

Pimp my tanks, 2k21 edition (including shit tanks and good tanks)

Hey guys,

with equipment 2.0 a lot of opportunities for game breaking builds have opened, as noted by Crab and SR in their Stealth Scout Build thread.

But I was also thinking about making shit tanks more playable and maybe discover some hidden gems (if there are any).

I have a couple of tanks in my garage that are just there collecting pixel dust because they aren't good and I was wondering if a particular equipment setup would give them new life or at least make them playable until the next trade in event happens.

* bold equipment is boosted.

- STG: the thing has a punchy gun with 390 alpha and a decent final accuracy but terrible bloom (0.20 base) and trash tier view range at 370 base.

Currently running vents, optics and rammer to get at least 450m vr (currently 453), but the handling is trash because no vstab.

[Settled on Rammer, Optics, Vstab, might go Rammer, IA, Vstab for a more combat oriented loadout]

- M4 Rev: Just a bad tank, alpha is decent at 390, handling is somewhat okay but it seriously lacks in penetration (200 apcr is barely enough and 250 heat is just useless against some tier 8s, let alone 9s and 10s), it's huge, no armour and not even that mobile. I almost 3 marked (got around 94%) then a huge streak of shit games dropped it back to mid 80s and couldn't get it up anymore. It's gonna go for sure unless it gets its pen buffed to decent levels. Currently running vstab, optics, rammer.

- T-34-3: I really want to like this but I can't. It's currently sitting in my recovery graveyard because the gun is so shit. bloom isn't too bad but 0.38/37 dispersion is. Add bad shell velocity, 250 HEAT that gets often eaten by tracks/guns/optics/whatever piece of spaced armour a tank might have and you have a recipe for disaster. At least it doesn't get autopenned by tier 6s with HE. I ran it last with IRM, vents, vstab.

- Lorraine 40t: once one of the better premium tanks, it has fallen under the ever increasing power creep of tier 8s. Gun is derpy, inaccurate but the burst is okay and penetration/damage too. It's huge and made of paper, so I play it like a redline bitch support with the usual #yolo on low HPs in late game. Currently vents, optics, vstab but I'm considering dropping optics for IA. It might be relegated to FL games as pubs in it are pure ebola.

Now, for the somewhat not totally shit tanks (read decent and good tanks I am unsure about equipment or want to try new things):

- Udes 15/16: I like it but the gun feels derpy, takes a while to aim and shell velocity isn't the greatest at 1000/850 for apcr and heat. It's a ridgeline warrior but sometimes I prefer to sit on the 2nd line plinking at stuff due to its unreliable armour. Currently running vents, rammer, vstab.

- OBJ-705A: gun isn't the most accurate but it works at close range. vents, rammer, vstab. Maybe try IA over vents once I unlock field mods VI?

- Kranvagn: this is just to confirm, one loadout is vents, turbo, vstab and the alternate is vents, IA, vstab. Haven't unlocked field mods 6 so I don't have a secondary boosted slot, both options (mobility and firepower) work. Might favour firepower because the current performance on turbo is good enough for me + I get a boost to final accuracy. Hardening is a thing but I don't feel like sacrificing a slot for 200 more hp that I might need once every 50 or so games.

- M48: haven't played this in ages, currently running the good ol' vents rammer vstab, have field mods 6 unlocked with vision on the secondary boosted slot. Maybe drop vstab and go turbo, vents, rammer??

- E50/E50-M: same as M48, running vents rammer vstab on both, but I have barely unlocked FM 1 on the tier 10 (haven't played them since the buff btw)

- Pzkpfw VII: currently running vents rammer vstab. It has a rather obvious weakspot that is also where all those sweet 315 APCRs live, so one possible build could be improved configuration, rammer, vents. I get worse bloom but overall I think I can stop worrying about ammoracks and fires forever.

- T110E5: I still need to buy it back and mark it, so I have no clue what to expect from it since it got buffed.

- WZ 111-5A: is it still a thing in 2021? Haven't played it in years so I don't even know how it performs, since I got back I think I saw only one in game. Anyway vents rammer vstab, maybe drop vents for turbo like I did on the 277?

- random lights (13 105, 13 57, ELC even, blackdog, t100): apart from the obvious stealth build, vents ia vstab with firepower in the secondary slot? Applies to m41 as well, I want to hit shots, not miss faster. T100 doesn't need vstab so rammer instead.

Any ideas on setting these up? As you can probably tell, they're mostly pre equipment 2.0 builds.

I can't comment too much, but with the M48 Patton at least, even prior to field modifications (I haven't played it since they were unlocked) I was running Turbo, Optics and Rammer. The gun handling is good enough to drop the Vstab and it really, really benefits from a Turbo and with high base view range, it seems a waste not to leverage it. It may not have camo, but it can easily hit 500m+ VR which means it can out-spot a lot of stuff which I have found works really well.

On 10/19/2021 at 6:58 PM, WhatTheSkara said:

- STG: there's no combination that makes this tank even close to playable

- M4 Rev: same as above

- T-34-3: this tank hasn't been good in 6 years, full aimcentric build might make the gun tolerable but you'll just die too easily against high pen+high burst to ever get away with playing this tank

- Lorraine 40t: equip 1.0 favored this tank compared to the boosts other tanks get in performance from 2.0

- Udes 15/16: i play this tank full gun equip, having some faith in the armour opens up a much better way to play this tank than just redlining - vstab/ram/vents, you can play it for VR but the gun becomes a letdown and i just never found the need for another setup because it never stopped working so i never bothered to try

- OBJ-705A: IA helps a lot if you can't get accuracy to 75% otherwise, also has no use for a secondary setup

- Kranvagn: turbo is the more fun way to play the tank, opens up some stronger starts on maps where your mobility can't keep up but your reload can - no need for hardening at all, you can gunspec it but it's a burst tank already with a strong hulldown so you probably get more out of the mobility wholesale than aim speccing

- M48: turbo is the only way to make this tank playable, feeling decides whether you want to drop vstab or vents, i noticed the vstab drop more but kept vents because of VR early on but stealth builds made that sliver pretty much pointless so back to vstab again - benefits from a vr spec on maps slow mediums can light stuff because the gun is still okay with two visiongame specs (or one and turbo) and a rammer if you know how to play vision without good camo. M48 maxspecced goes through stealthbuilds better than anything at the mid-ranges

i found it playable once every 10 games or so for easy 3k spots on maps like redshire/mountain pass/muro/prokh/mali for simply being a tank in a place and just farming like normal alongside it

- E50/E50-M: just gunspec it, doesn't make use of a secondary setup

- Pzkpfw VII: haven't played this tank in ages so wouldn't know

- T110E5: i tried it with optics since it does fairly well at mid range but you can't tank hits like a superheavy to make prolonged use of it, so standard gun setup here too - it's exactly what you'd expect tbh, it's really good at mid range but get within 100m and you run into trouble, incredibly weak to frontal tracks since they removed the HD E5 troll wheel though

- WZ 111-5A: just gun spec, could run a turbo if you feel mobility is actually costing you enough damage to do it

- random lights dont play cant comment

Any ideas on setting these up? As you can probably tell, they're mostly pre equipment 2.0 builds. 

This is mostly theory since I've played very little since eq 2.0 but i stuck with single loadouts on everything that doesn't have a quality significant to warrant the bother of a second loadout which most mediums/heavies don't. camo TD's and lights definitely do and I think field mods are a huge buff to those classes but almost all mediums and heavies have such a predefined optimal way of play that unless you're very mobile with burst they all want the same things out of their equipment which is short of swapping specific aim equipment for other aim equipment i just never felt inferior going with the traditional setups since the only real change they made was make lights harder to find and TDs able to play farther up for me, occasional mobility buff that's hard to take into consideration

the game is still the same (short of that) as it was a year ago except for that people are still trying stuff out, so sticking to the basics still worked pretty well against it taking my rust into consideration

So I forgot to update.

I have sold the M4 rev, wz 5a and obj 705a.

M4 because it's huge, soft and 250 heat doesn't work, 5a because I kept getting penned in the cupolas every single game, 705a because honestly 317 heat doesn't cut it against most tanks you'll be facing. Also I didn't play those tanks anymore.

In the meantime I have recovered a few old premiums (fcm 50t, 112, panther 88, some low tiers like the SU-85i, su100y, fcm36, many more to come as I grind enough credits).

I did also get the E5 back and yeah, running the standard loadout (vents rammer vstab) because it doesn't make sense to use anything else. You were right when saying it's not a brawler anymore, the handling allows for some mid range shenanigans but once you go face to face with a tier 10 and he's not brain-dead, you die because you're literally made of tissue paper. Lower tiers you eat for breakfast unless it's a Czech heavy or some ultra armoured hulldown monster.

Pz VII I have played one game and it went bad, although it was mostly me trying to sidescrape against TDs.. luckily marks didn't drop. Later I'll drop vents for improved configuration on its secondary loadout (so I get one sniper schnitzel loadout with vents and one brawler loadout with IC). This also applies to sLöwe, both tanks have good guns and play in a similar way..

M48 I played one game and got my 2nd mark, I think my loadout still works fine but I might try turbo on the secondary for the more open maps where mobility is key (dropping vents at this point). Or go full russian with turbo and hardening. I still have 460+ vr without vents and I feel like it's okay if I'm not trying to outspot a stealth build light.

Kran I ended up ditching IA, running my main loadout with vents turbo vstab and an alternate with hardening vents vstab, picked mobility as boosted slot. Hardening actually helped me getting one/two more clips off today so I think it's worth in maps like Pilsen/himmelsdorf where mobility isn't vital.

50b I swapped gld for ia, whenever I can be arsed to play it and grind 168k exp I might pick firepower and boost IA even more. After all it's huge, made of paper and wants you to stay as far away from the enemy as possible so why not make it as accurate as possible.

22 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

So I forgot to update.

I have sold the M4 rev, wz 5a and obj 705a.

M4 because it's huge, soft and 250 heat doesn't work, 5a because I kept getting penned in the cupolas every single game, 705a because honestly 317 heat doesn't cut it against most tanks you'll be facing. Also I didn't play those tanks anymore.

In the meantime I have recovered a few old premiums (fcm 50t, 112, panther 88, some low tiers like the SU-85i, su100y, fcm36, many more to come as I grind enough credits).

I did also get the E5 back and yeah, running the standard loadout (vents rammer vstab) because it doesn't make sense to use anything else. You were right when saying it's not a brawler anymore, the handling allows for some mid range shenanigans but once you go face to face with a tier 10 and he's not brain-dead, you die because you're literally made of tissue paper. Lower tiers you eat for breakfast unless it's a Czech heavy or some ultra armoured hulldown monster.

Pz VII I have played one game and it went bad, although it was mostly me trying to sidescrape against TDs.. luckily marks didn't drop. Later I'll drop vents for improved configuration on its secondary loadout (so I get one sniper schnitzel loadout with vents and one brawler loadout with IC). This also applies to sLöwe, both tanks have good guns and play in a similar way..

M48 I played one game and got my 2nd mark, I think my loadout still works fine but I might try turbo on the secondary for the more open maps where mobility is key (dropping vents at this point). Or go full russian with turbo and hardening. I still have 460+ vr without vents and I feel like it's okay if I'm not trying to outspot a stealth build light.

Kran I ended up ditching IA, running my main loadout with vents turbo vstab and an alternate with hardening vents vstab, picked mobility as boosted slot. Hardening actually helped me getting one/two more clips off today so I think it's worth in maps like Pilsen/himmelsdorf where mobility isn't vital.

50b I swapped gld for ia, whenever I can be arsed to play it and grind 168k exp I might pick firepower and boost IA even more. After all it's huge, made of paper and wants you to stay as far away from the enemy as possible so why not make it as accurate as possible.

For E5 I'd recommend giving turbo in lieu of stabs a try. It ameliorates the issue of being forced into unwinnable engagements and makes it a fat medium and not a paper scone. Here is what I'd run if I still played:

https://tanks.gg/tank/t110e5/stats?e=14.10.z&k=0.1.2.3.4.5.B.A.8.6.C.D&c=5.L.3&f=8111012

1 hour ago, Vindi said:

@WhatTheSkara omg are you alive and still playing the game?😂

Yes, unfortunately, and yes, unfortunately :D

With extremely limited time now, just an hour or two a day (playing during lunch break only).