Vindi

Upgrading PC from 2018, please advise

So, I have stopped playing the game but the community, especially @Folterknecht's knowledge regarding to pc specs have never disappointed so here is the question:

I have to following specs now:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 4 mags

Motherboard    Z170A SLI PLUS (MS-7998)

Graphics Card Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB

Ram: Kingston Fury X 2444 Hz 2x 16 GB slots

Processor cooler: Cooler Master HYPER 212 EVO V2

PSU: Seasonic S12 Bronze 620W

Monitor: ASUS MG278 1440x2560

2x1 TB HDD + SSD's (Windows 10 ultimate)

My question is that where should I look for upgrade here? Based on experience, RAM and graphics card are kind of fine, I have experienced some spikes with the processor / PSU which I think is the weakest link here but I dont know whether I should change motherboard if, say, I buy an i7 (or stronger PSU).

Basically my games are now League of Legends and Age of Empires 4 in which the latter case the computer tends to be louder and much warmer also. (but I think it may be from wrong optimalization, since Cyberpunk 2077 was ran at max everything ultra without issues.)

So please kindly give me advice regarding to directions and all. For now, an additional 3-400 euro can be invested that can be expanded later.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Sorry  - I don't get your question. LoL as far as I'm aware is nothing more than a mobile game (for todays PC HW).

And AoE IV should at least run at around 50-60 avg FPS with your hardware @ 1440p, after looking at some benches. That game isn't a shooter/fast paced game (pro gamers aside) so 100+FPS avg arn't that important, and considering the "current" GPU shortage upgrading in that regard isn't advisable.

- Upgrading the PSU alone is nonsense, if the PC is working fine  (Prime95 small FFTs with 3 cores + 1 Core for Furemark makes a good full load test in your case.)

- Upgrading the platform (board, CPU + RAM) will get you between 10 - 40 % in games, but considering your GPU, it 'll be more like 10-20% on avg while gaming. And Intel just releasind a new gen and AMD will follow at the beginning of 2022, it's just the wrong time, if there isn't an urgent need (dead system or a new PC is build). Wait a few months and see clearer.

- See if you can get a "cheap" 6700K or 7700K used. Intel's top of the line chips even used are never cheap though.

I have a hunch (from your unspecific description) - either you have a software/driver problem, it's time to renew your thermal paste or both.

Thank you for the fast reply. Yes, my question was unspecific, basically I'm looking for upgrade routes now. I will definitely try the full load test (drivers are all updated and no software issues as of now). I will wait and see what options will rise in early 2022. :pumpkinfish:

I've bought components on Black Friday for the replacement of similar config (mine is i5-6400)... If you upgrade CPU, then you need to upgrade motherboard, ram (and cooler?)

Price of compatible better cpu model 6th or 7th gen is too high and not worth it... Spend 400 euros for the 11400/B560/DDR4 combo and you're good. (today is the last day of the discount on the mindfactory.de so you still have time for some good deals on everything)

7 hours ago, H4NI said:

I've bought components on Black Friday for the replacement of similar config (mine is i5-6400)... If you upgrade CPU, then you need to upgrade motherboard, ram (and cooler?)

Price of compatible better cpu model 6th or 7th gen is too high and not worth it... Spend 400 euros for the 11400/B560/DDR4 combo and you're good. (today is the last day of the discount on the mindfactory.de so you still have time for some good deals on everything)

I get your drift, but you forgot one or two important things.

1) Yes you can get 20-50% from switching from Skylake to the latest and greatest Intel/AMD platform, BUT you 've got have the right GPU to get those kind of gains. And a 1070 sure doen't fall in that category. Anything below 2800/TI level of perforrmance and you end up with 10 - 30% depending on the application, edge cases aside!

2) By the time GPU prices will be down to a somewhat reasonable level, current top of line AMD/Intel CPUs won't be top of line any longer. -> Why blow 500+€ now for marginal gains (he 's coming from Skylake/Kabylake, not from Sandybridge/Ivybridge let alone AMD FX).

And all of that isn't even taking into account the current switch from DDR4 to 5. Buying DDR5 now, if you don't have to, just to land anywhere from 4800 - 5600 MHz for early adopter prices, compared to 2 years down the line when 6000+ Mhz will cost less then 5000 MHz now (inflation and corona side) is foolish. Don't know if you remeber DDR 3 to 4, here is an example

grafik.thumb.png.f6a77e9a2a7acc252183f6cedf9b5ebe.png

That is a RAM KIT "I bought" for a youtuber (similar what I m doing/did here, only private) when he went to X99 and i7 5820K shortly after the introduction of DDR 4. It wasn't optimal, but it let him work and produce content to this day. And I say it payed off, as he got his investment back long ago via YT advertisments and safed time. He came from a crappy overheating gaming laptop (from~2012).

He switched from a GTX 970 when he build his X99 system to 5700XT some time ago, both cost him ~320-380€ new for massive gains in GPU performance. He would gain from going from X99 6-core to 10-16 core AMD/Intel now, just by safed time doing his vids for 300K viewers.

Vindi would blow 500+€ for next to nothing in avg FPS and a somewhat noticable improvemnt in 1% lows. Going from 40 to 60-70 FPS min FPS is nice but not worth 500+€ in my book, especially the games he is playing "for fun".