ZXrage

Yoh Tank Line - Upcoming American Heavy Line

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/updates/brand-new-yoh-tanks/

I debated putting in the American section, but I think it's better to put the entire line here as a catch-all.

The unique mechanic seems to work like how blown tracks work in War Thunder where you slow down a lot but you don't get stopped dead in your tracks (heh) when it gets destroyed. The intended counter is apparently blowing off both the main and reserve track at the same time by shooting it from the front.

Tank-wise, the 9 looks interesting with the swapping 105 and 120mm guns. The 10 has it too but I feel like it'll matter more on the 9. Turret profile look like your typical American turret and weakspots are pixels which is par for the course I guess. Not sure about the armor profile on the hull, though...

Any thoughts? I'm a sucker for American tanks anyway so I might grind it but maybe only lightly, I don't play this game very frequently anymore cec

I've not seen much beyond the announcement and a quick look in Tanks.gg. The tier 10 looks like it will be very powerful hulldown, but has a bigger turret and worse gun depression than the Kran, and is slower. It's hull armour looks trollish from the front, but it can't sidescrape. Gun handling seems decent?

The track mechanic is a nice gimmick I guess, but most of the time decent players do anything they can to avoid getting tracked in a situation where they can get free farmed, so it's not like people will change their playstyles when using this tank.

I'm playing the 7 right now because I don't want to waste gold on a line that could be nerfed into oblivion.

So far, it's...okay.

240 alpha isn't impressive but penetration is nice at 202/242, gun handling is absolutely shit though, 0.24 base bloom means your reticle, even with stabs and a good crew, will be the size of the moon regardless, which makes missing shots at close range a recurring theme.

Reloads in 7 odd seconds.

Armour is where it gets interesting: the hull is trash and the gunner sits next to the driver (commander and loader in the turret), the turret is weird. On paper it's really freaking strong, in practice the cupola is only 110ish effective and always exposed, even when using the full gun depression.

Also the fact that it's ultra tall (the whole line is) makes using certain cover a nightmare because people can just pen your cupola (sticks out quite a lot).

Arty can really fuck you up and the reserve track mechanic can be dangerous, you get your main track shot out, you still move so you repair in 10+ seconds, but you also move like a slug so if you're tracked in the open, burn that rep kit.

10 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

I've not seen much beyond the announcement and a quick look in Tanks.gg. The tier 10 looks like it will be very powerful hulldown, but has a bigger turret and worse gun depression than the Kran, and is slower. It's hull armour looks trollish from the front, but it can't sidescrape. Gun handling seems decent?

The track mechanic is a nice gimmick I guess, but most of the time decent players do anything they can to avoid getting tracked in a situation where they can get free farmed, so it's not like people will change their playstyles when using this tank.

It is really good hulldown, and mobility isn't terrible. Gun handling is good. However, the issue is the guns. The 105 has better pen (268 APCR/315 HEAT) but 360 alpha on a tier 10? Bleccch. The 120 has 440 alpha, but with 252 AP/300 HEAT. Now that's Kranvagn-level pen, but on a bigger, slower, more cumbersome platform. 

And yeah, arty loves shooting Yoh Mama.

20 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

Snip

17 hours ago, sr360 said:

Snip

Thanks both, there's some useful insights there.

I have around 210k free XP and deciding what to do with it. I've unlocked the Tortoise, Progetto C50 mod. 66 and AMX M4 mle. 51, and i'm trying to decide which of those to play / drop free XP on to unlock modules (acknowledging for each that the tier 9 is better tier for tier than the tier 10).

I've done most other lines, and grinding marks feels like a chore after playing Ranked recently.

Tier 8 gets better.

Playing with the top 90 it's a better patriot with slightly shittier handling but a much better premium round.

With the 105 it's a better t32, at least on paper.

Grind wise I suggest to free exp the 90 and tracks asap, then grind the turret and engine, then up to you, go straight to tier 9 or spend an extra 18k for the proprietary 105.

The improvement from the tier 7 is obviously the turret, you have a cupola but it's smaller and can actually be hidden when using the full depression, and it gets heat instead of apcr so you at least have a chance against Swedish TDs (last t7 game I played I almost cried because I was alone against an S1 and I took so much damage trying to get his side and ultimately failed).

Hull is still trash but at least it's not tier 7/8 prem trash. 

Mobility is just about the same, although I haven't researched the engine yet.

Should be a relatively chill grind, wouldn't bother with the 105 unless you plan on keeping it.

I feel it's one of the strongest tier 8 tech tree heavies at the moment.

I'm at the tier 8 now. A big improvement over the tier 7, this one can actually go hull down at close ranges without getting penned in the cupola by everybody, every time, even while moving and wiggling like a worm on a hook. I find it hard to get damage though in the fast-paced games. It's not heavium fast and 240 alpha is a bitch. It's a good tank for sure, but slow and low alpha makes it not my cup of tea. 

Am I the only one who feels the tanks below t10 are generally below average? T8 is a worse patriot which only works against morons. T7 is decent but has a huge weakspot and feels like a t7 m103 but with a pew pew gun and T9 has 2 huge weakspots and low alpha. T10 is also a worse Kran/Sconq 

On 3/29/2022 at 8:55 AM, hazzgar said:

Am I the only one who feels the tanks below t10 are generally below average? T8 is a worse patriot which only works against morons. T7 is decent but has a huge weakspot and feels like a t7 m103 but with a pew pew gun and T9 has 2 huge weakspots and low alpha. T10 is also a worse Kran/Sconq 

Yes, yes, and yes....

On 3/29/2022 at 5:55 PM, hazzgar said:

Is the patriot better as M-III-Y? (on paper the M-3 seems better, quit a bit more dpm, a little better gun handling and a lot better gold round, not much luck with mm so far, but it seems a decent tank

ps: im on t8 atm, the t7 was simply not good, but t7 heavys are almost always weak imo