Paaranoja

BIA fascination

I see, I ran the same setup for a while and basically switched from repairs to BiA. My experience was the moment I got tracked I either repaired the track with a kit or died anyways.

Camo skill at 100% adds around 80% to your base camo value.

Assuming you're both moving, a T-62A with the same equipment as your setup, and no skills other than camo spots you at 366m, you spot him at 356m. 

If he's being sensible and using optics instead of vents he'd spot you at 395m, giving him a clear 40m of ground to react to your presence. 

Last time I said something like this to a (former) clan mate they said , shit man 40m is nothing I can cover that ground so fast it won't matter.

Ok bro.... lol. Keep being an 1100 WN7 BiA enthusiast.

During the last crew re-training event I made a lot of changes to my tanks.  On the Garbad recommendations I rolled BIA as my #1 skill on most of my heavies and my bigger TDs (that have tragic camo values anyway).  I found that this allowed me more effective gameplay at the time.  I don't have any empirical numbers/stats for you, just that tank movement (acc., turning, turret action, etc) felt better and more manageable.

However, as of late I've been rethinking that.... I've been more focused on Vision Control, Gunnery activity and vehicle movement and have been reviewing BIA's usefulness.  As a result of this thread and my interest in improving my gameplay, I'll stick with what I have now, but will trade out BIA for more effective skills during the next crew re-training event.

As a borderline n00b, I associate (incorrectly perhaps) this as a growth process whereas when a person is first starting to play and has little clue about the inner-workings of the game things like BIA and Vents are a big draw.  Then as a person matures, gets better at this game and dedicates the effort to wringing more performance out if (as well as tuning playstyle), these things mean less and less as there are just better options that a more skilled player can make use of.

Thanks to all for their effort in posting such detailed analysis, I appreciate it.

Necro reply because the topic still comes up in searches.

From FTR :  http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/04/23/23-4-2014/#more-11008

Yurko2F explains, how Brothers in Arms influences tank statistics:

“In the game, the skill level of crew is clearly displayed in percents. Take this number, deduct 100 from it, divide the result by 2 (to simplify the calculation) and the number you will get is the percentual increase, applied to base tank characteristics.”

Percent increase to BASE tank stats. 

I put BIA only on arty first. 

It's a usual 3rd skill respect for other vehicles. 

I regard BIA as vents without taking an equipment slot. I take it but not at the expense of  Vision, repair, Camo, shooting and scooting skills (dependant on vehicle type).

I think of it like a Tesco skill,  every little helps. 

I put BIA only on arty first. 

It's a usual 3rd skill respect for other vehicles. 

I regard BIA as vents without taking an equipment slot. I take it but not at the expense of  Vision, repair, Camo, shooting and scooting skills (dependant on vehicle type).

I think of it like a Tesco skill,  every little helps. 

I don't think anyone considers BIA to be bad, it's just that other skills take priority in some tanks.

I don't think anyone considers BIA to be bad, it's just that other skills take priority in some tanks.

Luckily there are some really bad perks/skills that makes the choice easier after the 3rd or 4th skill. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that taking BIA early will save significant skill points for those of us not wanting to spend gold to respec. A 10% hit isn't bad when it's your first set of skills, but hurts a lot worse when it's your third or fourth.

The moment I knew I liked having BIA was the 1st time my 3 Hellcat platoon rolled up on a dune at the start of a Sand River battle and immediately lit a Heavy at the edge of our spotting distance. I had BIA, the other 2 not. B-B-Boom, we all hit the 1st shot at the same instant...leaving him tracked & one-shotable. We all just held down our triggers. BOOM B-Boom. I got the kill by the reload diff of my BIA...keewl.

A question For my situation I have my 110/112 crew and I am going off of my 112 tank. Without BIA the aiming coefficients are:

-accuracy 0.441 

-aim circle spread 3.068

-aim circle spread on turret traverse 0.107

-aim circle spread on vehicle move 0.192

-aim circle spread on track traverse 0.192

-View range 380

-soft terrain resistance 2.205

with BIA

-accuracy 0.431 

-aim circle spread 3.001

-aim circle spread on turret traverse 0.105

-aim circle spread on vehicle move 0.188

-aim circle spread on track traverse 0.188

-View range 388.1

-soft terrain resistance 2.157

Now if I dont get BIA and use situational awareness, off road driving , this will improve the vier range and terrain resistance much more

-view range 391.4

-soft terrain resistance 1.963

this seems like a much more improved terrain resistance and slightly better view range.

the next driving skill can be smooth ride increasing the -aim circle spread on vehicle move to 0.183 as opposed to 0.188

This is my 3rd skill, I am not sure to get BIA or the other listed skills, take in mind the 4th skill will take around 1.6 million xp to max out.

Question in summary - Is it worth getting BIA for a small accuracy and dispersion benefit or getting 4 other worthwhile skills that benefit alot better at their chosen fields?  

Edit:BTW how much of a difference is 0.004 in the terms of turret rotation coefficient?????

110 and 112 are heavies, so not as resource intensive as mediums for instance.  I would personally take the following:

6th, Repairs, Repairs, Stowage

BIA, BIA, BIA, BIA,

Repairs, Snap Shot, Smooth ride, Repairs

If you don't like BIA, you can take the following:

6th, Repairs, Repairs, Stowage

Repairs, Snap Shot, Preventive Maintenance, Repairs

Jack of All Trades, Armourer, Smooth Ride, ???

This allows for more survivability and durability overall, but I would personally prefer the first build. The all round boost is nice and it lets the loader provide one more useful skill.

It's really up to you as to what you prefer. Skills are all minor boosts and situational. They are just discussed a lot because it's one of the few ways to actually customise the stats of a tank.

As to your last question, not much. But that's the nature of BIA, you get a little bit of everything and not that much of anything in particular.

new info has come to light, apparently, WG will change BIA so if one of your crew is dead, bia will stop working. This is actually reintroduced feature because when new skills and perks were being introduced BIA was supposed to have this dead crew rule in it, but it was hastily changed prior to release to work even with dead crew.

source http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/10/15/15-10-2013-2/#more-4313

Anyway, this mechanics deals IMHO a final blow to usefulness (being already on shaky legs) to BIA use on tanks, good luck bringing that radio man to life.

I only carry BIA on a couple of tanks (T49 is one since I see the 2.2% increase in stats as more important than repair on this tank).  However, if they change this back to no function with a dead crew member, BIA will slip into the 5th or 6th choice for me.  I am not going to heal the damn radio man just to get my BIA back.

thanx for your input TeaTime, I have 6th sense and safe stowage always first skill :)

Fred if a crew member gets knocked out BIA still works check the wot wiki http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew 

what the wiki says about BIA : 

The Brothers in Arms (aka "BIA") Perk increases by a fixed 5%, the Training Level of each one of the crew members in their Major Qualification and in any of the common Skills (Repair, Firefighting, and/or Camouflage) they may have acquired. It also improves the Commander's Mentor Skill by 5%. The BIA Perk does not have any affect on other other role-specific Skills or Perks, and provides no benefit whatsoever unless all of the crew have it trained to 100%. It does stay in effect if a crew member is knocked out during battle. The effect of the BIA Perk is cumulative with that of any installed Improved Ventilationequipment and with any purchased crew Skills boosting consumables such as Extra Combat Rations, Case of Cola, Chocolate, Pudding and Tea, Strong Coffee, and.or Improved Combat Rations.

I recently ticked my obj 140 crew over to their 4th skill, and then dropped them all for bia plus other normal stuff and (hang me now) camo as last last one because it will be forever to fully train and I might as well take as many perks as I can. I also got jack of trades on commander so I could run food instead of a medkit. Now a normal 140 with standard loadout but no bia/food has a 5.77s reload. Mine has about a 5.3s. That difference has noticeably improved the amount of shots I am able to take. Personally I'd only say bia as a 4th, and even then only if you run food for the extra little bit of value

there's definitely more high priority skills initially but i think for my third crew skill i'll use BIA for my wz-132. i'm trying to maximize my view range on the move, so i'm running optics + vents and i'll have just under 500m view range with BIA, situational awareness and recon.

here's my crew now. current third skills will be put in the 4th slot, but might change clutch breaking to smooth ride. good plan?

shot_031.png

Don't want to do it as your first... I usually reset to it after mostly done with 3rd skill.

This. I usually do mentor as the first with the others dependent on the tank (gunnery, view range, camo, repair etc), then I reset the commander to sixth once the first skill gets to 100%. Then, once I'm well into the third skill I reset again to BIA. I almost always use vents, but that's because I'm almost always in a medium or light tank and I definitely enjoy the extra view range and camo from vents and BIA. It makes the difference between 454m and 475m view range in my 140 (with situational awareness and optics), which is a large practical difference; I can spot an enemy medium 20-50m before it spots me. I can also reliably spot well camouflaged heavies and TDs at the 445m mark and shoot them without them ever knowing where I am. Thank you BIA/Vents.

I recently ticked my obj 140 crew over to their 4th skill, and then dropped them all for bia plus other normal stuff and (hang me now) camo as last last one because it will be forever to fully train and I might as well take as many perks as I can. I also got jack of trades on commander so I could run food instead of a medkit. Now a normal 140 with standard loadout but no bia/food has a 5.77s reload. Mine has about a 5.3s. That difference has noticeably improved the amount of shots I am able to take. Personally I'd only say bia as a 4th, and even then only if you run food for the extra little bit of value

IMO, the "optimal" load out for my 5 (almost 6) crew skill obj 140 would be BIA, sixth sense, full camo, snap shot, smooth ride, enough repair(75%?), situational awareness, preventative maintenance, some firefighting (50%?), safe stowage for skills; vents, optics, rammer for equipment; and large med kit, large repair kit, food for consumables.

I would run my 140 like this, but I like to make money with my 10s and food makes that very difficult so instead I use an AFE and non-fire related skills ie 100% repair, dead eye, intuition, designated target.

dead driver = bye bia. I'm not a huge fan of food on 62/140 though.

Admittedly, I'm a huge BIA whore, especially for 7/42 tonks where comparative advantage has a premium attached. Tanks like the 1390 and bat where you get an effective 17.8% bump in camo and view range (with food and vents) as well as getting the otherwise lackluster gun handling and reload down to far more manageable levels. 

If there's something on a tonk that is already stronk and perked out (like snap shot, offroad, sit-aware, camo) I find it helpful to push that key feature just a little bit further. 

dead driver = bye bia.

From the WIKI :  " It does stay in effect if a crew member is knocked out during battle. "

AFAIK, it still works this way, WG has brought up several times changing it to stop if a crew member is killed. But every time the forums starts a uproar.

Never said it was usefull until your 3rd skill. I actually agree.

For a tank relying on cammo I (obviously) pick cammo/sixth sense first and then go BiA. So you don't need to argue cammo is more effective for gaining cammo than BiA. Of course it is.

To put it more simple: I pick it on top of cammo to maximize the cammo I can possibly have.

Are you trying to say you want camo on top of camo so you'll be even more camo'd while you're in camo?  

dead driver = bye bia. I'm not a huge fan of food on 62/140 though.

Admittedly, I'm a huge BIA whore, especially for 7/42 tonks where comparative advantage has a premium attached. Tanks like the 1390 and bat where you get an effective 17.8% bump in camo and view range (with food and vents) as well as getting the otherwise lackluster gun handling and reload down to far more manageable levels. 

If there's something on a tonk that is already stronk and perked out (like snap shot, offroad, sit-aware, camo) I find it helpful to push that key feature just a little bit further.

Can you stop saying tonk.

Also bia works regardless if crew are dead.

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/10/17/17-10-2013/ 

I honestly need to get a proper test of this, but I'm fairly sure they implemented the bia stops working when a crew dead at the same time they made 6th stop working with dead commander. 

Easiest way to test this is to get a bia kv-5 and kill the radioman. and see if the reload goes up. I'm not 100% certain on this one tbh though, so well worth testing.