Worstpoaster_na

Hearthstone

How accurate are sites like Hearth Arena? Worth using? I've been doing ok on the latter (hit rank 11 last season, pretty sure I can go higher this season) but god damn I'm bad at drafting an arena deck. I can build an ok deck for constructed, and I have some higher rank friends that can help me with that, but I manage to fuck up arena decks every time.

How accurate are sites like Hearth Arena? Worth using? I've been doing ok on the latter (hit rank 11 last season, pretty sure I can go higher this season) but god damn I'm bad at drafting an arena deck. I can build an ok deck for constructed, and I have some higher rank friends that can help me with that, but I manage to fuck up arena decks every time.

HearthArena is good enough to get you to like 80% or 90% drafting proficiency. The algorithm does a decent job at paying attention to your mana curve and synergies and doesn't just tell you to draft 10 Argent Commanders and no early game. It is good enough to allow your game play to determine how many wins you will get. The last 10% or 20% drafting proficiency probably accounts for a fraction of a win per run.

It is worth stating again that your game play will be the main determinant of your Arena success.

I can't comment on HA, but I've found one of the key things in arena to be drafting a deck that can hit a good 2-5 curve reliably. Mix in a bit of removal and you should be able to coast to at least 5 wins without much trouble. Beyond that it can get a bit trickier, but I've taken several decks with no cards costing more than 5 mana to ten wins or so.

That's not to say you shouldn't draft good lategame cards if offered, but I've lost way more games to not drawing an early curve than I have to not having big dudes.

Edit: Case in point, I just went 12-2 with a mage deck where the only 6+ drops were two sunwalkers, a flamestrike and a core hound of all things. People tend to undervalue taunts and heal in arena so they are fucked when you rush them for 50% of their hp in 5 turns.

Well I've been trying HA out a bit and it's working quite well. It's definitely good at getting you a good early/mid curve, but I find it helps the most with telling me which cards are/aren't good. There's a lot of stuff that looks good (or bad) on paper but is the opposite in game, and I think that's what kept screwing me over.

I can't comment on HA, but I've found one of the key things in arena to be drafting a deck that can hit a good 2-5 curve reliably. Mix in a bit of removal and you should be able to coast to at least 5 wins without much trouble. Beyond that it can get a bit trickier, but I've taken several decks with no cards costing more than 5 mana to ten wins or so.

That's not to say you shouldn't draft good lategame cards if offered, but I've lost way more games to not drawing an early curve than I have to not having big dudes.

Edit: Case in point, I just went 12-2 with a mage deck where the only 6+ drops were two sunwalkers, a flamestrike and a core hound of all things. People tend to undervalue taunts and heal in arena so they are fucked when you rush them for 50% of their hp in 5 turns.

You kind of summed it up in this post. Taunts and heals are undervalued in arena because late game cards are over-valued. If you have strong early and mid game, you don't need taunts and heals. Just as you said, you rush them down in 5 turns. Conversely, if you draft late game, you need taunt and heals to get to said late game. The problem is people mix and match by drafting decks that lack cohesion.

If you have a fast deck, forgo taunts and heals and non-good late game.

If you have a slow deck, grab a few taunts and/or heals to get to the late game.

If you have a lot of weapons, a few taunts and heals are vital to get maximum value from the weapons.

If you are a warlock, a few taunts and heals eventually translate to card advantage in the late game.

If you are a hunter, a few taunts and heals give you more rounds to hero power down an enemy.

etc. etc.

So you see how any card's value is subjective to the type of draft you are in. The last 20% drafting skill that you need to master is being able to identify what type of deck you are drafting before you hit card 30 and the earlier the better. Practice taking a break and evaluating your deck every 5 or 10 picks to see where you are and where you might want to go.

You kind of summed it up in this post. Taunts and heals are undervalued in arena because late game cards are over-valued. If you have strong early and mid game, you don't need taunts and heals. Just as you said, you rush them down in 5 turns. Conversely, if you draft late game, you need taunt and heals to get to said late game. The problem is people mix and match by drafting decks that lack cohesion.

If you have a fast deck, forgo taunts and heals and non-good late game.

If you have a slow deck, grab a few taunts and/or heals to get to the late game.

If you have a lot of weapons, a few taunts and heals are vital to get maximum value from the weapons.

If you are a warlock, a few taunts and heals eventually translate to card advantage in the late game.

If you are a hunter, a few taunts and heals give you more rounds to hero power down an enemy.

etc. etc.

So you see how any card's value is subjective to the type of draft you are in. The last 20% drafting skill that you need to master is being able to identify what type of deck you are drafting before you hit card 30 and the earlier the better. Practice taking a break and evaluating your deck every 5 or 10 picks to see where you are and where you might want to go.

I'm currently trying to get the hang of figuring out card synergy. Obviously I can understand that a deck with a shitload of low drops is an aggro/rush deck (fuck face hunter), but all that shit in the middle is what I need to work on. I struggle to figure out what I need too complete the decks after I've taken the standard stuff.

Did a streamer do a big warlock arena thing or something? Because I've been seeing a shitload of warlocks lately. The general style seems to be very zoo-ish with things like raid leaders and frostwolf warlords thrown in.

Also just got my first golden legendary. Gahzrilla aka 1600 dust.

Did a streamer do a big warlock arena thing or something? Because I've been seeing a shitload of warlocks lately. The general style seems to be very zoo-ish with things like raid leaders and frostwolf warlords thrown in.

Also just got my first golden legendary. Gahzrilla aka 1600 dust.

Good. Feed my Patron Warrior all the Zoos. They need god draw and I need ass draw for them to even have a shot. It's not even fair.

Good. Feed my Patron Warrior all the Zoos. They need god draw and I need ass draw for them to even have a shot. It's not even fair.

I don't think you need a good matchup if you manage to draft patron warrior in arena. :thumbup: 

Also I've gone 12, 11 and 12 in my last three priest arenas. Priest confirmed OP.

I just play Shaman Murloc deck and rush everything down.

Pretty much the only thing that will stall it out is a mage.

Also the Murloc sounds are mildly amusing

In casual every other deck seems to be Murlocs or Mechs, it's kinda getting annoying now. I had better luck in Ranked yesterday to complete my Quests for the day.

Good news though, I've almost completed Blackrock Mountain, just need 300 more gold from Quests.

In casual every other deck seems to be Murlocs or Mechs, it's kinda getting annoying now. I had better luck in Ranked yesterday to complete my Quests for the day.

Good news though, I've almost completed Blackrock Mountain, just need 300 more gold from Quests.

I've never actually seen another Murloc deck in casual or ranked.

Interesting

Yea the mode basically seems to hinge on who can top deck what they need at that time, also if you will excuse my tin foil hat for a moment..... It feels like Nefarian's hero power draws exactly what is needed in the situation, for example I got rag down low but not low enough to ensure a kill and he was clawing back soo I insta pull a pyro blast GG Example two: I am playing as rag, opponent has the card out that gains attack whenever you play a card, thankfully I had the 6/6 taunt down....... he pulls sap + wind fury + Blessing of kings, ending up with an 11/12 wind fury

Yea the mode basically seems to hinge on who can top deck what they need at that time, also if you will excuse my tin foil hat for a moment..... It feels like Nefarian's hero power draws exactly what is needed in the situation, for example I got rag down low but not low enough to ensure a kill and he was clawing back soo I insta pull a pyro blast GG Example two: I am playing as rag, opponent has the card out that gains attack whenever you play a card, thankfully I had the 6/6 taunt down....... he pulls sap + wind fury + Blessing of kings, ending up with an 11/12 wind fury

I lost a game as Nef where I had my opponent down to 11hp for 5 turns and a pyroblast in hand. Over 5 turns I couldn't get a single damage dealing spell while my opponent controlled the board and beat me down.

It seems to me the matchup would be a lot more balanced if Rag's weapon had a 1-2 less chargers and Nef started with 1 less mana. Rag can stabilize and win, but pretty much requires a perfect opening hand and for Nef to not have anything crazy in hand.

Abuse Rag's hero power even before you break his weapon. Nefarian can't ping without RNG help from his hero power so the 5/1 might as well be 5/5. With the weapon, you can handle any 7 health minion he drops and that goes a loooong way to stabilizing. I'd even prefer the 5/1 to the 6/6 taunt in most circumstances.

Swing your weapon every turn and summon as many 5/1s as you can; that's the key to winning. And pray for no Vaelestraaz from Nefarian.

If Nefarian is stronger than Rag, it is not by a wide margin. No idea if there is a tavern brawl MM, but if there is not you can probably get a very high winrate if you wanted to grind out gold there. Nef is auto-win vs bad Rag player and Rag should still be a ~50% WR if you play him right. Wouldn't be surprised to see a good player go 65%+ assuming you never face better players.

Regarding casual mode: it has its own MMR. If you play casual a lot and do well, you will start facing off against people who use it to farm quests and gold outside of ranked and you will meet meta decks there. If you don't play casual mode alot, you will run into all kinds of weird stuff.

Just crafted Patron warrior minus two of the nax cards........ Best thing ever!

Do you mean you don't have Death's Bite in it? I always figured that's kind of a key card to have, which has been keeping me from buying the first BRM wing(since I only have the first two Naxx wings).

On another note, I got a chance to draft Emp T in an arena run. Spent forever debating between it and Loatheb, but figured I'd give it a chance. Don't get to discount as many cards as you would in constructed of course, but the fact that it's harder to remove balances that out. 6-mana Mind Control is good times.

Edited by megaflex4000

Yea no deaths bite or unstable ghoul unfortunately, it does take away form the deck for sure but it is still usable until I get the gold for the Naxx wing.

Just got Deathwing in a card pack - my first legendary that didn't come from Naxx or Blackrock Mountain. Will be interesting finding a deck to use it in - maybe Druid with mana crystal boosts and big beasties. Most games are over or decided by turn 6-7 anyway.