Worstpoaster_na

Hearthstone

Ok, I crafted both bows. The only cards I am lacking are Leeroy, a 2nd Highmane, and a 2nd Flare. Is it worth the dust to craft the 2nd Highmane and Flare? I don't have the dust for a legendary... In the place of those three cards, I have 2x Kill Command and Maexnna.

Eventually, yeah.  But it's fine to do what you're doing right now.  Though I'd replace Maex for a silence owl.  Easy taunt "remover", plus it's a beast.

Eventually, yeah.  But it's fine to do what you're doing right now.  Though I'd replace Maex for a silence owl.  Easy taunt "remover", plus it's a beast.

Yea, duh, that's so obvious I feel stupid for missing it.

Still cant beat Miracle Rogue, lost all my hunter games today (again, I think I've lost nearly 90% of my last 30 hunter games) to them and priests, who just have too much heal to do anything about. Theres not enough oomph in the deck to burn through 50+ HP without throwing away board control to a guy who can easily get out absolutely massive taunts.

I think I'll stop running hunter. It's one of the worst decks you can possibly take out right now - you could run a basic deck and still win more.

... board control ...

I think I'll stop running hunter. It's one of the worst decks you can possibly take out right now - you could run a basic deck and still win more.

I think I found your problem.  Try just going only for the face next time and use UtH to catch up if behind.  When I'm in a slump, it's overwhelmingly because I'm focusing too much on board control.  The cards nowadays are too sticky/efficient to remove them.  That's why face decks are so strong right now and control is suffering.

EDIT: Try running face hunter.  It forgoes the shit Savannah Highmanes for Kill Commands.

Am i the only one who had to spend 2 hours to beat the fucking warlock challenge?

I got super lucky on my 3rd/4th try with void terrors throwing down the right demons instead of terrible ones.  But yeah, that deck is just so bad I felt helpless those other games.

2nd game into the new season and I'm playing some dude named Amaz.  Check out his stream, yeah, there's me getting whooped.  I think I'll take a break for a week until the elite get ahead.  =\

September Season Primer

With Naxx fully released and the metagame calm, there are only a few viable decks for this season.  The good news in that is that there are a variety of types within the small number of viables: control, combo, aggro, budget, mid-price, expensive, and 5 different playable classes.

Zoo - decklist

+ Consistent
+ Cheap (~1000 dust)
+ Quick games
+ No really bad matchups
+ Easy to mulligan

- Slower than other aggro decks
- No really good matchups

Zoo forced all of the fringe decks out of the metagame, meaning that the survivors were chosen by natural selection to either be Zoo or good against Zoo.  From ranks 25-10, Zoo will still be a great choice to deal with the weird decks that crop up there.  Once you start seeing a smaller range of decks, it can be time to pick up something else as the top decks are mostly 50/50 with Zoo.  It's still very possible to make legend with Zoo.  Most people put it aside as they've already put in hundreds of games with the deck.

Mulligans - Drop everything that isn't 1 mana.

General tips

• Place weak minions in the middle and big minions on the outside.  This gives more options with Defender and Dire Wolf placement.
  • Use Abusive Sergeant to boost minion power to remove other minions.  Do not use it for 2 extra damage to the face, and do not play it out there naked.
  • When you have Soulfire and Doomguard as the only 2 cards in hand, play the Doomguard as it will live after the damage it deals.  Higher upside.
  • Nerubian Egg: do not pop this yourself.  Generally don't buff it either.  It's AoE protection and little else.  When up against a deck that doesn't have AoE, like the mirror, this should be one of the last cards out of your hand.  It's just too slow to play on turn 2.
  • Keep your guys out of AoE range with your buffs and trades.  Against Priest/Paladin, it's better to have one 4/4 than two 4/1's.  Against Mages you'd prefer to be at 3 or 5 HP to dodge Blizzard/Flamestrike.
  • Contrary to popular opinion, don't feel like you have to trade off the entire enemy board before passing the turn.  Haunted Creepers / Harvest Golems / etc are rarely worth removing for the effort involved.

Warrior Control - decklist

+ Interesting
+ Unique
+ Long games
+ Fun cards
+ Lots of synergy

- Long games
- No great matchups

- Underpowered
- Expensive

On the surface, Warrior control looks like a pretty badass deck.  Survive the early game, smash face with weapons, and then drop bombs on the opponent until he dies.  The first two things of that dream happen, but not really the last one.  It turns out that all those legends aren't really good at winning the game.  The Warrior hero power is good for surviving, but actually finishing the opponent off is surprisingly difficult.  Freezing trap is such a beating against this deck that most warriors just plop Rag on the table and try to protect him long enough to do everything on his own.  Some have moved into a more aggressive type of deck, but it's generally doomed due to not having enough card draw or a relevant hero power.  Warrior control has a similar problem.  Without the Acolyte of Pain, the deck can run out of cards quickly.

Mulligans: Early plays. Armorsmith / Taskmaster / Ghoul / FWA.  Against Priest and Warriors, keep and dig for every single weapon you can find.

General tips

• Death's Bite is the best card in the deck.  The whirlwind effect activates your Armorsmith ,Acolyte of Pain, and Execute efficiently.  Try not to waste the effect without getting additional value from those cards.  You can also equip a weapon, destroying the Bite, to get the effect.
  • The finisher will be Gromm and Bite/Taskmaster/Ghoul.  Use one of those to enrage him and send for lethal.
  • Sylvannas is mostly used in conjunction with Shield Slam to steal a high value minion from the opponent.  Note that Execute can't target your own minions.
  • Acolyte of Pain should never be played naked.  It's the only source of draw in the deck and needs to be utilized fully.  Play it when you can set off a WW effect that turn.  Getting 2 cards off of it is expected and 3 is common.   Getting 0-1 off of it is fail.
  • Hold Armorsmiths in hand later in the game just to YOLOBRAWL.  They don't have a lot of value on the board later in the game, but they could win a 50/50 flip in a pinch.

Miracle - decklist

+ Unique
+ Fast games
+ Best draws beat any deck
+ Great matchups

- Difficult
- Can lose any game to any deck
- Streaky

Miracle got a lot worse with the addition of Naxx (from overpowered to merely "strong"), but it has started to make a comeback.  Less people are playing Loatheb, and a good matchup (Face Hunter) is everywhere.  I stalled out and eventually abandoned the deck last season but will pick it up again this season.  The difficulty is that the minions are too resistant to removal right now.  That makes Face aggro decks, which don't care about board control, en vogue.  Playing Miracle as more of a face-race type of deck has yielded good results so far.

Mulligans:

• Against aggro: Backstab, Deadly Poison (+ SI:7 if coin or Backstab)
  • Against control: Auctioneer

General tips

• Ignore these minions unless they get buffed: Argent Squire, Harvest Golem, Mad Scientist, Haunted Creeper, Nerubian Egg.
  • Against aggro, use Shadowstep on SI:7 and Farseer.  Use them as early as possible.
  • If having problem with hunters, -1 EvC - 1 Blade Flurry +2 Southsea Pirate.  Use him to clear traps.
  • Always aim to end the game by turn 8.  9 at the latest.  If it goes longer, you've probably been messing around with minions too much.

Face/Trap Hunter - decklist

+ Best deck
+ No bad matchups
+ Cheap

- ???

I've finally taken the Savannah Highmanes out of the deck.  They were just a liability too often.  In their place is Kill Command and an Ironbeak Owl.  The Owl is there to remove the taunt and keep swinging through.  I'm debating removing an Explosive Trap for another Owl, but the extra trap is there for the deathrattle face hunter matchup.  This is the deck that puts all others to shame.

Mulligans: A good curve.  On the play, 1-2-3-4 or 1-2-3-2+2.  With coin, 2-2-3-4 or 1-3-3.

General tips - everything is still relevant.

Control Priest - decklist

+ Underplayed class
+ Synergy

- Cost

- Poor matchups

- Clunky

- RNG dependent

I included this just because you'll see it around.  For the life of me, I can't understand what it matches up well against.  Zombie Chow and Dark Cultist are what saves this deck.  The other early game minions are abysmal for actually affecting board control.  

There are a lot of fun synergies in the deck:

• Circle of Healing + Northshire Cleric = draw 3+ cards
  • PW:Shield + Wild Pyromancer = Multiple Concecrations
  • Circle of Healing + Injured Blademaster = 4/7 on turn 3
  • Auchenai Soulpriest + Circle of Healing = 4 damage to all minions
  • Auchenai Soulpriest + Zombie Chow = 5 damage to opponent
  • Thoughtsteal = Snagging an Auctioneer plus Preparation, playing both, Thoughtstealing again getting another Preparation plus Sap and me screaming OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU LUCK FUCKER.

NON-VIABLE

Druid is dead.  Wild Growth into big taunts = Hunter's Mark and Freezing Trap.  GG.  Token druid is mildly better, but with a kill worse than Hunters' and far less utility or card drawing.

Shamans are dead as dead can get.  Since you can't clear minions anymore, keeping totems on the table is really hard.  So with no hero power, class cards that depend on that hero power, and removal based on damage, Shamans are just awful right now.  I don't even know how they revitalize this class.

Mages are too vulnerable to Flare, and too weak without secrets.

Paladins have a terrible hero power, are very vulnerable to Silence effects, and their Naxx class card is countered by Flare.  RIP.

Summary

Coming this fall to Hearthstone: Hunting season.  If you're not playing a Face Hunter variant, you're willingly playing a sub-optimal deck.  Many decks claim they have good matchups against hunter (Control Warrior, Miracle, and Priest), but incredibly few people are willing to run those decks.  Actions speak louder than words.

The good part of all of this: you don't need to spend a lot of money to compete!

So outside of the control decks you listed, you are going for the face? Am I reading that correctly?

If it's easy enough to get rid of a minion and/or clear their board, do it.  But most of the minions played by the top decks can be ridiculous to get rid of, with their deathrattle effects and high toughness.  Warrior minions are helped so much by taking damage that the warrior kills his own stuff for you!  

An opponent's board with Argent Squire, Haunted Creeper, and Harvest Golem on it requires 10 total damage to clear.  Meanwhile, they only do 4 damage per turn if you completely ignore them.  It's so hard to kill them that it makes sense to set up lethal within the next few turns instead.

If it's easy enough to get rid of a minion and/or clear their board, do it.  But most of the minions played by the top decks can be ridiculous to get rid of, with their deathrattle effects and high toughness.  Warrior minions are helped so much by taking damage that the warrior kills his own stuff for you!  

An opponent's board with Argent Squire, Haunted Creeper, and Harvest Golem on it requires 10 total damage to clear.  Meanwhile, they only do 4 damage per turn if you completely ignore them.  It's so hard to kill them that it makes sense to set up lethal within the next few turns instead.

But creeper is a taunt so you'd have to clear it anyways or silence it.  And thats over half of the HP pool of the board.

Any suggestions on good budget decks for doing dailies (besides Hunter and Warlock)? They don't have to be amazing decks for the meta, but enough to win at higher ranks and casual play.

I always hate searching through the endless array of shitty decklists online...

• Savannah Highmane: The worst card in the deck.  When behind, it does nothing to reverse the tide.  When ahead, it doesn't press the advantage enough.  The only reason it's still in there is due to the sad state of beasts in Hearthstone.  It's pure trash and I'm thinking about replacing it for Kill Command.  The only reason I don't is because it says "beast" on it, and it craps beasts when it dies.  Houndmaster might get lonely without those cubs.

Pure trash is probably overstating it a bit. It's definitely stronger in a more control-driven environment, though. Most of the power comes from being incredibly sticky - a large body to deal with up front that leaves behind two more 2/2 beasts on death. Sap and Freezing Trap shits on it, sure. But that's no different than any other high resource investment card. Otherwise it requires at least two and usually three cards/actions to deal with it. Having extra 2/2 bodes for Houndmaster late isn't negligible. And the initial body is large enough that it has to be dealt with and can't just be ignored. The main problem with the card is that the stickiness doesn't matter much in a face matchup unless you can live long enough to taunt it, and it's sort of slow as mid-range tends to be.

This is the first time I've ever seriously played a card game but...holy moly the amount of luck that goes into this game.

I was up against a 10/10 lightspawn that was about to wreck me until I miraculously pulled a shadow word death and won the game.

As much as I would like to end up building a competitive deck, I feel like my end goal is to create this deck:

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=137/epic-fun-randuin-wrynn-or-how-to-rng

Sounds like a hearthstone alternative to the CGC for maximum RNG fun.

This is the first time I've ever seriously played a card game but...holy moly the amount of luck that goes into this game.

I was up against a 10/10 lightspawn that was about to wreck me until I miraculously pulled a shadow word death and won the game.

As much as I would like to end up building a competitive deck, I feel like my end goal is to create this deck:

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=137/epic-fun-randuin-wrynn-or-how-to-rng

Sounds like a hearthstone alternative to the CGC for maximum RNG fun.

A good/bad hand is all that it takes to win or lose a game in Hearthstone.

Any thoughts on the nerf to Buzzard and Leeroy? Do you keep the Buzzard, sub out for a Cult Master, or does it just destroy the Hunter Mid-Range deck?

I can definitely see some hunter decks doing fine in low ranked play, but when things get competitive and your best draw costs you two cards, 7 mana, and forces you to kill your UTH spawns, things aren't looking too good. You're going to be drawing games out way too long.

We'll have to see. My guess is hunter is going to be in a painful situation.

hunter ded

Pretty accurate summary of what's to come.  The "decline" of Hunter recently has had more to do with two cards: Undertaker and Zombie Chow.  If you're not playing with one or more of these cards in your deck, you're doing it wrong.  First it popped up in Control Warrior, then Priest, and now all control decks are playing with Chow.  The aggro decks are playing with Undertaker or both.

People claim that Handlock is going to rise after the bannings, but I don't see that happening.  There's no way it can survive this time around with the Naxx cards plus everyone playing BGH/TBK.

I've been busy, so I haven't hit legend yet.  Within the next few days for sure (halfway through rank 2 20 minutes after posting, rank 1).  I stubbornly wanted to play Miracle from bottom to top even though I knew it was a terrible idea.  Turns out it was just as terrible as I had imagined it to be.  Undertaker is a beating.  I was also playing endless Mage vs Mage battles, also known as "Arena".  Pro Arena guide to averaging 7+ wins: Pick mage, draft non-secret mage cards 2+ mana and Mana Wyrm, if you draft anything over Fireball except Flamestrike I will murder you through the internet, keep minions in the 2-4 mana range, enjoy your free loot from all the wins.

So after stalling out at rank 5, I switched to deathrattle priest.  Now I'm zooming to legend.  The deck is weird to play due to the clunky-ass hands you'll get.  But since I'm used to Miracle (hand: Shadowstep x2, Preparation, VanCleef, FML) it's not too bad.  It's quietly the best deck at the moment, crushing Control Warrior/Paladin while having a positive winrate vs everything else as well. It's why people expect Handlock to rise again: because it's literally the only bad matchup for deathrattle Priest.  Well, Miracle is a bad matchup as well, but... dem nerfs to Leeroy.

If I'm still able to play next season when I'm travelling, I'm just going to play the best deck and not screw around.  It's so much easier.

Pro Arena guide to averaging 7+ wins: Pick mage, draft non-secret mage cards 2+ mana and Mana Wyrm, if you draft anything over Fireball except Flamestrike I will murder you through the internet, keep minions in the 2-4 mana range, enjoy your free loot from all the wins.

I ran across an Arena deck that pulled this off very well, plus a couple Duplicates so he had a ton of Wyrms. Was not pretty; I did almost win though when I top decked Deathwing :D He was able to put down Wyrms and top-deck freeze spells and run me out of health before Deathwing could swing.

The Deathrattle priest looks fun, but I don't have the legionaries to run it. I'll have to look for some decent substitutions and give it a whirl.

2nd game into the new season and I'm playing some dude named Amaz.  Check out his stream, yeah, there's me getting whooped.  I think I'll take a break for a week until the elite get ahead.  =\

3rd week into the season, the elite should be high legend by now.

OcCnzgA.jpg

FFS STAHP.

I think I'm going to try my first arena today. We will see how it goes. The game is fun.