Why485

FV215b: Underrated Gem?

tumblr_mste9xXZwJ1r9waklo1_1280.png

Worst tier 10 they said. You'll never amount to anything they said.

Yeah well, so far the 215b is treating me so well I lost track at around 10 victories in a row and still going strong. I honestly can't remember the last time I lost a game. I'm totally asking for it by saying that but whatever. Even though it's only 42 battles, it's sitting at a very comfy solopub 67% win rate. This tank was literally the only thing keeping me afloat this past weekend where my win rate plummeted as it typically does during weekends. 

As for the tank itself, I guess it must just fit my playstyle perfectly. It has a fantastic gun, excellent optics, and... that's about it but it's a really great gun. Great DPM, great penetration, great accuracy, and good alpha. The turret armor works better than it should, although you can't rely on it. The rear mounted turret allows for all sorts of wacky tactics and is really fun if you know how to work it. Really my only problem with the tank is that it has pitiful gun depression. It's understandable when aiming to the front, but I wish it could depress lower when aiming to the sides or rear.

Good tank, despite what people say about it.

Okay so yeah it's still complete garbage for Clan Wars but I don't care about Clan Wars.

in my few (40 or so) battles on the test server I managed to kill around 50 enemy tanks and I found that sidescarping worked like a charm. This tank is a good sniper and can also go streetfight (topgun in a streetfight :P ). Really looking forward to it (prolly be my first T10).

There's also rumors that in 8.9, or at least the future, the 215b will be "rebalanced." There's no word yet on what that means, but it's possible they might be bringing it back towards the even glassier cannonier tank it used to be before it got changed shortly after release. Right now the popular opinion is that the tank is garbage, so maybe Wargaming shares the same opinion and could be buffing it.

Wishful thinking I know.

Wishful thinking I know.

Hope it won't be just that. Tried it on the test server, fell ABSOLUTELY in love, so i'm now collecting free-xp to go to the Matilda and start grinding the line.

I believe part of its success is the fact that it isn't a popular heavy tank and most pubs have no clue where to aim to kill this Wild monster they just discovered.

I really enjoy this tank, for all the reasons you listed. I've also found the frontal/turret armor to bounce a lot of shots for me in pub matches. It doesn't work as well against blue/purple players who know where to shoot. Another thing I've really come to appreciate about this tank is it gets HESH rounds in place of regular HE  while still carrying APCR as it's gold rounds.  I've gotten to the point where I've become pretty good at knowing when to load HESH to do maximum damage. 

I honestly can't remember the last time I lost a game. I'm totally asking for it by saying that but whatever. Even though it's only 42 battles, it's sitting at a very comfy solopub 67% win rate.

May I help the memory loss?  You lost 13 of the last 42.

Just kidding with you, nice job.  ( I lost 111 of the last 177)

I like the feel of it, I think it looks really cool, but I either get 4-5 shots off in a game, or 15 shots and 3 pens.  With the fire I draw you would think I'm getting machine gunned!

It use to have a role in CWs from what I heard. High DPM, high rate of fire and high accuracy makes it a support heavy sniper.

It's a nice tank if people don't shoot back at you.

This is very true, and similar to a lot of the tanks I like, it tends to fall more into a support role than other tanks do. It is a force multiplier that requires good fire lanes and works wonders when paired with a good scout. However, the difference between this and the Conqueror, is that its large HP pool is second only to the fascist boxes. Having workable turret armor (not great mind you, but it's not auto-pen like the Conqueror) is also a big difference. It takes judicious placement and careful judgement, but you can go on the offensive in this tank. You just have to keep in mind that you aren't an E5 or E-100.

I really enjoy this tank, for all the reasons you listed. I've also found the frontal/turret armor to bounce a lot of shots for me in pub matches. It doesn't work as well against blue/purple players who know where to shoot. Another thing I've really come to appreciate about this tank is it gets HESH rounds in place of regular HE  while still carrying APCR as it's gold rounds.  I've gotten to the point where I've become pretty good at knowing when to load HESH to do maximum damage. 

HESH rounds are another thing I like about the gun. They aren't mega penetration like the FV4202's HESH, but it's enough to go through the sides of many tank destroyers and almost all artillery. I always carry 4 rounds just in case, and the times where they've come in handy have been amazing.

My favorite one was when at the end of the game I had 5 kills and was looking for the arty to get my Top Gun. I spotted him just at the very edge of the west pond on Campinovka. I knew exactly what he was up to so I loaded up HESH and made a beeline for him so I could get the shot. One shot into the water took out his 500 HP in a single shot. Without that HESH round, I would not have been able to one-shot him and get that Top Gun.

I know that's an awfully specific example, but it's just the most recent one that comes to mind. Judicious use of HESH is a great thing.

I honestly can't remember the last time I lost a game. I'm totally asking for it by saying that but whatever. Even though it's only 42 battles, it's sitting at a very comfy solopub 67% win rate.

May I help the memory loss?  You lost 13 of the last 42.

Just kidding with you, nice job.  ( I lost 111 of the last 177)

I like the feel of it, I think it looks really cool, but I either get 4-5 shots off in a game, or 15 shots and 3 pens.  With the fire I draw you would think I'm getting machine gunned!

Don't worry, I've jinxed myself enough with this topic that I'll go on a 10-15 loss streak to balance it out.

Like mentioned before, success in this tank requires not getting shot at. It has a good HP buffer, but it doesn't have the armor to straight up trade shots with a heavier tank. You might be able to out-DPM them with raw numbers, but any stand up fight should be avoided as much as possible. Do not play this like a front line tank. I know people see tier 10 heavy and immediately make the association that it's a front line brawler, but the 215b is not. You need to play the second line of an offense so as to not draw fire. Having excellent optics is a good way to leverage your range advantages and make sure you get your important long range shots in when the enemy can't shoot back. 

If you get stuck in a short range map, your options get limited. What I try to do is sidescrape as much as I can and whittle away at targets. Again, you don't (usually) want to be the first line of defense in an obvious "please shoot me" spot. Leave that to the E-100s. You want to be discreet so that you can lay down the law without retribution. Once the game starts to develop, and as long as you have properly conserved your HP, you can start roaming the map and mopping up. Having a lot of HP gives you good numbers to work with, and a good chance to kill tanks with raw DPM if it comes to it.

Play the 215b smart and it will reward you.

There's also rumors that in 8.9, or at least the future, the 215b will be "rebalanced." There's no word yet on what that means, but it's possible they might be bringing it back towards the even glassier cannonier tank it used to be before it got changed shortly after release. Right now the popular opinion is that the tank is garbage, so maybe Wargaming shares the same opinion and could be buffing it.

Wishful thinking I know.

From that link the most interesting thing I see is this:

"- Chieftain and one more other T10 tank may come for the Brits."

If it's really so, I'm gonna learn breakdancing while sober while balancing myself upside-down on a coin.

Finally got Mastery on my FV215b. I really, really like this tank. Except for the gun depression, this is like my ideal tank. I even love the rear-mounted turret. 

It took a 5100 damage, 2780 spotting, and 4 kill game to get it.

What a photogenic tank.

tumblr_mszzp23ZYk1r9waklo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mszzp23ZYk1r9waklo3_1280.jpg

Why drive a FV215b when you can drive a T110E5?

Im not saying that the E5 is better, nor do I know because I dont have a 215 but it seems like the general consensus among the people I talk to.

Opinions and comparisons from people who have both?

Im not saying that the E5 is better, nor do I know because I dont have a 215 but it seems like the general consensus among the people I talk to.

I have both. The 215b has much less armor, and a much better gun. This makes it a much better support tank than the E5, and a much worse MBT.

Given that the 215b has a much better gun, and combined with it's better view range, you can actually afford to run optics on it and stack view range skills. Makes your view range pretty OP - allowing you to dominate maps with relatively long and open lines of fire.

You didn't record that game, did you?  I'd like to see how you play that tank!

Great Job.

Tonight when I get back on my computer I'll upload that replay. Honestly there's nothing outstanding going on in the mastery game, I just got lucky against a bunch of baddies. Aside from killing a sidescraping E-75 almost entirely through cupola shots, there's nothing I did special that game that couldn't have been done in a similar tank. If I recall right, I also had a platoon of blues and purples covering the opposite side of the map, so I had a team I could count on.

There is however another replay I want to upload where I did well and I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish. It was a city map (Port) but I was able to use a lot of my tricks in that match. The game was a loss, but there was a blue/purple platoon on the enemy team. I think I ended up killing one of them, but my team fell apart at the end of the game and got separated. It was a very close game, and had that been a win it probably would have been my mastery game.

I don't have an E5, so I can only speculate. I would say the E5 is a better tank and if given the choice a smart player would probably drive the E5. It's more versatile, and seems to be better in the ways that really matter. Like I've mentioned before, a 215b is not an optimal tank to take to Clan Wars. It's just too specialized and how well a tank does in Clan Wars is understandably what most consider the important thing about a tier 10. I've done well in the clan battles I've participated in, but aside from the rare view range and HESH hijinks, I haven't done anything that would especially warrant me taking the 215b over one of the more common tanks.

I would go for the FV instead of the T110E5 for the tactical finesse of having that extra viewrange and HESH instead of HE. Also, for his monstrously good acceleration and maneuvrability. Also, the accuracy on-the-move is really good. The rear-mounted turret is a big plus for me.

The gun is definitely better on the FV. More RoF and much better accuracy.

I think the T110E5 is easier to drive, but a FV driven truly effectively can output much more damage while spotting for his team, and also is much better at relocating. They are, i think, the two best heavies to drive as end-tier, precisely because, in different ways, they're the most flexible. The T110E5 is more of a straight heavy, while the FV exchanges a bit of armor for higher flexibility. Both very nice in my books.

Yea I can see the FV215 being a very effective heavy support sniper, sitting back supporting tanks with better armor. Unfortunately it seems alot more role specific and situational than an E5.

The E5 draws its strenghts from being 'good', good at whatever it does... not excellent. It being good at almost everything makes it great overall, since its so flexible.

I fear that if I ever got a 215, I would be frustrated by its lack of dimension.

That said the 215 could be a much funner pub tank than the E5.

I just think that other tanks fill the long range sniper role easier in a medium package like a an E50m, or a T-62A.

Tonight when I get back on my computer I'll upload that replay. Honestly there's nothing outstanding going on in the mastery game, I just got lucky against a bunch of baddies. Aside from killing a sidescraping E-75 almost entirely through cupola shots, there's nothing I did special that game that couldn't have been done in a similar tank. If I recall right, I also had a platoon of blues and purples covering the opposite side of the map, so I had a team I could count on.

There is however another replay I want to upload where I did well and I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish. It was a city map (Port) but I was able to use a lot of my tricks in that match. The game was a loss, but there was a blue/purple platoon on the enemy team. I think I ended up killing one of them, but my team fell apart at the end of the game and got separated. It was a very close game, and had that been a win it probably would have been my mastery game.

Here's the replays I mentioned earlier:

http://wotreplays.com/site/338441?secret=b24434cc0f4e3417fbffe023de467374

This first one is of my mastery game. Nothing special, I just got lucky that I was fighting a bunch of baddies that lined up to die.

http://wotreplays.com/site/338442?secret=b24434cc0f4e3417fbffe023de467374

Watching this again reminds me I need to shut the hell up. I tend to be the same arrogant asshole "unicunt" that I personally dislike, so I'm a terrible hypocrite in that matter. Aside from that, I really like how this game played out, despite it being a loss. A lot of good play but also a lot I can learn from to improve. My team played west side far more defensively than I've ever seen, so I had to improvise and position/fight in a place I've never had to before. It ended up working in my favor.

I was up against a platoon of PBKAC and HAVOC so I knew this was going to be a very tough fight. I made some macro mistakes, but overall a very solid game in terms of micro. Towards the end, I should have stayed with my heavies and just let my arty die. I think together we would have had a good chance at killing that T-62A and Batchat. I also had a chance to track the enemy's 215b as he was rolling towards our base, but I didn't take it. Instead I opted for a high hit chance center of mass hit because I wasn't sure if I would have enough time to aim properly for a track shot. If I had tracked him, I might have been able to kill him right there.