Fire_Hive

AMX M4 mle. 45

134 posts in this topic

So I just finished my grind. 1713 dpg. And a terrible 53% WR, but a 943 xp per game. So think about that, 47% of games in the XP calc did not have the winning xp bonus (though maybe courageous resistance).  And this is not a tank you can sit back and snipe in, so it's not like I was camping base here. 

It's not a carry tank at all (though it is very capable in all tier 8/9 matches). I found being top tier a little frustrating if you were the only heavy and people expected "heavy" things out of you. It doesn't work that way. I had plenty of early potato rounds, arty crushes you, but I minted high caliber medals and WN8 (~3600+ WN8) like nobody's business. (I know, I know, that doesn't mean shit, but I performed really well, just didn't have the ~5/10 games with pubbies holding up their end that would have put me up around 60%). 

Like the Tiger, its hitpoints are its armor, so trade them smartly. Also, this tank is a terrible brawler. The second a short medium or a low, Russian TD gets on your side you do not have the depression to hit it (!!!??!?!?) this can be really frustrating. The depression is great, but only from the front.  it is near ZERO on the side and low tanks have no problem being under your gun. 

Fun tank.  I couldn't get the wins, despite some really nasty stats and games and I tend to get a lot more ragey at my pubbies in tanks that don't carry well. Sometimes you are just SOL.

Also, those gold rounds on the 10.5 are...addicting. It can be a trolley gun, not too great at range and only OK at snapping, but I had some really big damage games in there. Again high caliber to games ratio was pretty high. 

I just started the grind on this tank and am finding it to be a steep learning curve. I'm only 24 games in, but my w/r is only 38% with doing 1,115 DPG. My survival rate is a horrid ~10-15% (I've probably died to arty at least 12 times so far). I did however get my Mastery Badge: Ace Tanker somehow on the weekend.

I don't have the top engine yet, but I do find the tank a bit sluggish. I will probably research it next before moving onto the 50 100. I'm using the 90mm gun and seem to be doing alright with it.

On the larger open maps I seem to do decent. I find that I'm struggling with city maps and the more tight quarter/brawling type maps. How can you be an effective 2nd line sniper in the more congested/smaller maps?

Can confirm this tank sux. I think I did better in ARL44 due to "better" armor for tier.

I will never use DCA45 on M4.45 because it will just be a shit tiger that's worse at everything. 

I dunno, maybe I am lucky (25 games in only) but I am running 58% winrate and 1494 WN8 in this (which makes it my top 7 tank)... 

So far I like it better than the Tiger 1 which I played 100 games or so in to get elited.

I do try to play it like a flanker / medium more than a heavy though... get those side and sniping shots in... 

Been playing this again for the WZ-111, even with the 105 it's still awful. Just awful. There's never a situation where it has the advantage, the turret is too weak for hull down, the hull armor is awful due to the side armor, even with APCR and food the gun is straight up inferior to the Tiger H. The minor advantage of DPM or alpha it sometimes has is laughable compared to the advantages other tier 7 heavies have. Arty loves to ruin you if you aren't really careful, and it even has less HPs than all the other tier 7 heavies. They really need to buff this thing, it's a joke. Back down to 52% WR at 70ish battles after this god-awful X5 weekend.

Been playing this again for the WZ-111, even with the 105 it's still awful. Just awful. There's never a situation where it has the advantage, the turret is too weak for hull down, the hull armor is awful due to the side armor, even with APCR and food the gun is straight up inferior to the Tiger H. The minor advantage of DPM or alpha it sometimes has is laughable compared to the advantages other tier 7 heavies have. Arty loves to ruin you if you aren't really careful, and it even has less HPs than all the other tier 7 heavies. They really need to buff this thing, it's a joke. Back down to 52% WR at 70ish battles after this god-awful X5 weekend.

My tank overview would indicate the 50 100 and FCM 50t are better for HP farming and kill farming... so hang in there and switch up a tier ASAP.

Still not. It's not a heavy though... remember that, it's more like a slow medium... let someone else take the hit and then pop and shoot.

Since I really wanted to try the big autoloaders I put my no-life tryhard panties on and just played the french HTs until I reached the AMX 50 100. You guys really gave me headache with statements like "Just aweful" and stuff like that, but it wasn't that bad actually. Not a keeper tank but it works. I played it pretty aggressive with full 105mm APCR spam and it worked out well for me, I will try a more aggressive approach in other Heavies aswell. 

After 85 (solo) battles, my stats look like this:

amx_m4_stats_finaljci5g.png

That's pretty damn good for a tier 7 HT with me at the helm. Reached ~92.5% on the MoEs, but MM and teams were abysmal so I couldn't bring myself to grind the third mark.

Ace Tanker galore, here are some highlights:

Tier 9 battle, Murovanka: 1194 base XP, 2 frags, 3326 dmg. Ass rammed an LTTB, he didn't expect that.

Tier 7 battle, Sand River: 1436 base XP, 0 frags, 4471 dmg. Peek-a-boomed other heavies. 4.5k damage in 3.5 minutes.

Tier 9 battle, Erlenberg: 1367 base XP, 2 frags, 3226 dmg. Lemming train conductor at work.

Tier 7 battle, Pearl River: 1523 base XP, 8 frags, 5260 dmg. Radley-Walters, Defender, High Caliber, Tank Sniper. Did go well.

I'm glad I didn't free XP this one. 

I hate it. Fucking hate it. There's nothing that it's even average at. Armor is shiet. DPM is bad with the 90mm. Mobility is underwhelming for what I had expected. Flexibility is nonexistent. 

Unless you get a situation where no one will pay attention to you and you can farm damage, this tank is shiet. 

Oh, and fuck the French DCA 45 90mm gun. The only thing good about that gun is the pen, everything else is just bad

Just another tank that suffers from the French-are-shit-tank-designers syndrome.

2 things really hold this tank back:

1.It shares its top engine with the AMX 50 100 but due to its 'historical' tracks (for once WG wants to get historical...)  it can only go 35kph. Any true mobility advantage is only for minor relocating: you won't run from anything going 35kph... 

2. Gun depression: great from the front but as soon as you turn your turret the grin vanishes from your face. Downright painful.

While some people have been able to make this tank work, I found it to be a tank without a role. Just about anything it can do another tier 7 heavy can do better. The great pen (with the long 90) is ruined by awful gun handling/DPM, and the on-paper mobility is neutered by soft stats.

I expected it to be something like the FCM 50t, but I was massively disappointed. I wonder if it will be rebalanced at all...

2 things really hold this tank back:

1.It shares its top engine with the AMX 50 100 but due to its 'historical' tracks (for once WG wants to get historical...)  it can only go 35kph. Any true mobility advantage is only for minor relocating: you won't run from anything going 35kph... 

2. Gun depression: great from the front but as soon as you turn your turret the grin vanishes from your face. Downright painful.

While some people have been able to make this tank work, I found it to be a tank without a role. Just about anything it can do another tier 7 heavy can do better. The great pen (with the long 90) is ruined by awful gun handling/DPM, and the on-paper mobility is neutered by soft stats.

I expected it to be something like the FCM 50t, but I was massively disappointed. I wonder if it will be rebalanced at all...

Run it with the 105 and liberal APCR.  I really needed to get to the 50 100 and forced myself to just grind it out last month; I still hate it but I managed to drag my WR in it up to 60% somehow.  As long as you hit your shots you will still make money or take a pretty modest loss spamming gold and the added damage is very helpful.

There is NO reason it shouldn't be able to depress to the side. There is literally NOTHING blocking it. If you tell me the turret assembly then you need to think again: If the gun assembly is LIFTED inside the turret from where it is horizontal so that the gun can depress, are you telling me the turret has a central column attached to the hull with a disc at the top that has bars on it, preventing the inner gun assembly from being lifted as much when pointed to the sides of the hull? That would be treasonous. There is NOTHING that stops the gun depression to the sides, NOTHING. Even the French aren't so bad at math that they can't tell the gun won't bump into the hull even at -10 depression on the sides.

It's just another WG Free XP sink, unfortunately, it's working for them since many players don't have my old "dailies every day" attitude on grinding tanks and thus were impatient enough to pay.

Only real downside of this tin can. Is its speed in tier 9 match . You can support tier 9 heavies because you cant pen tier 9 heavies on other side. You can not support mediums because you are slow . That is only downside after 33 games i played with 72%WR. 

APCR spam all the way .

it can do work with the 90mm... just under 4k dmg... but I was top tier and playing people who sure weren't paying much attention to me... http://wotreplays.com/site/1765707#himmelsdorf-donalson99-amx_m4_mle_45

I'm not grinding it currently but I've been enjoying playing it... the ARL was better for tier IMHO (on that I went between the 105 with gold spam and the non top 90mm for the faster aim time/reload... on the 45 i'm wanting to make money so no 105 gold spam...

yes lots of frustration with being in a large, fairly slow and armorless tank, yes arty likes to sneeze at you and 1 shot (don't arty love all french tanks?)  but it has a decent gun and is entirely workable (compared to the pain I'm having with the chi-ri)... it will likely be my next grind so I can daily double my way to the 100mm before I move into the lorr 40t and eventually the batchat (longer distance goals)

I've been doing great in this tank.  ~60WR, 2nd mark by 80 battles. The 105 with APCR spam is still the way to go. 

Slight necro but didn't want to make a new thread whilst this was still on the first page.

How is this tank not buffed? The 105 with APCR is good, pen and damage wise but my god the word 'aim' just doesn't exist for this thing. 2.9s aim on both guns and 0.41 dispersion on the 105 is god awful. Literally sit there for a good 4 seconds after stopping from moving waiting for the bloom to shrink. In addition to its no armour its just painful. 

I think if the 90mm got an aim time buff to around 2.5s, it would be a better choice and the tank would be able to snipe. If that would make the ARL OP (or more OP), then remove it from the ARL.

To sum up the AMX M4: Slow as molasses. Big as a barn. Inaccurate as a granny without her glasses and about as stealthy as Ronald McDonald at a funeral.

Slight necro but didn't want to make a new thread whilst this was still on the first page.

How is this tank not buffed? The 105 with APCR is good, pen and damage wise but my god the word 'aim' just doesn't exist for this thing. 2.9s aim on both guns and 0.41 dispersion on the 105 is god awful. Literally sit there for a good 4 seconds after stopping from moving waiting for the bloom to shrink. In addition to its no armour its just painful. 

I think if the 90mm got an aim time buff to around 2.5s, it would be a better choice and the tank would be able to snipe. If that would make the ARL OP (or more OP), then remove it from the ARL.

To sum up the AMX M4: Slow as molasses. Big as a barn. Inaccurate as a granny without her glasses and about as stealthy as Ronald McDonald at a funeral.

Then don't aim that long. Go brawl on the frontline, slap people around with 330 alpha, slap them as much as you can before you die.

It's not a good tank, but you don't need to make it do amazing things for it to be useful.

Yup.  as Haswell said, your role with the 105mm is up close and personal.  You shouldn't be waiting to aim any longer than is necessary.  Don't turn your hull if you don't have to.  Don't turn your turret if you don't have to.  Bloom control that you practice now will serve you well on the 50100.  

That's what I ended up doing for the first 50 or so battles. But I'm trying it now with the 90mm DCA and playing it like a medium, like the FCM or CDC, and its not a bad long range sniper. Plus I'm not spending a fortune on APCR, really nice to have high AP pen at tier 7.

I have yet to get the engine but once I do, I'll play it more like the FCM. The decent gun depression helps in this regard too.

I hate to burst your bubble, but despite sharing a top engine with the AMX 50 100, the AMX M4 45 is capped around 35 kph. (Historical suspension was awful, but why does WG have to insist in historical accuracy for only some tanks?)

It's a slower, fatter FCM with terrible gun handling and similar MM.

Yeah I've found that. At least it can poke and withdraw quicker now.

I'm still liking the 90mm over the 105mm. For a tank with next to no armour I'd much rather be able to reliably snipe than try derp with that 0.41 on the 105. It might not be as quick as the FCM or have as good soft stats but I'll happily take that for a tier 7 who gets to meet the occasional tier 5 tank.

The depression, though. Just pisses me off. About 60% of the turret's traverse radius gets reduced depression to a useless 1°. Why, wargaming? Hasn't the tank suffered enough?... 

http://tanks.gg/en/wot/amx-m4-45

Really does need a buff. I dunno if its power creep or what but this thing needs a buff.

Tier 7 is designed to be the grind tier.

If you haven't already, use the F3 instead of the long DCA. The F3 has much better gun handling and reload, while having a sufficient APCR round.

I'd even go so far as to say that the short 90mm with APCR is one of the best sniping weapons in Tier 7 on a heavy tank.

248 penetration with 240 and good DPM, coupled with -10 degrees gun depression and great gun handling, is very comfy

Holy shit, this tank is beyond awful. I really liked the BDR and the ARL 44 with the 105 but this *thing*, it's big, slow, made out of paper, and i fucking hate the gun handling. You simply can't do jack shit, everyone can just rush you and kill you before you kill them, and when you're trying to snipe 0.38 acc (with the short 90mm) really shows it's ugly head.