farscry

VK2801 Advice

I recently decided to move up from the Leopard to the VK2801. I actually was decent in my Leopard at scouting (mostly passive scouting, but also some active), and depending on the match-up I could throw a little damage out there on occasion.

However, the VK2801 seems to be a huge step up in difficulty to leverage effectively. I've done a little passive scouting, but it seems that I just don't have the camo rating to do it well at that tier (my crew is only just approaching 100%, so I don't have the camo skill developed yet; I do however use the camo net and binocs) and instead get popped early in matches when I stick myself out there to scout.

And while I'm using the "derpiest" gun the 2801 can mount (since the rest have penetration ratings seemingly too poor to wield against the enemies I will face at this tier), its damage is still too low to seem to matter much.

I've read up on scouting in general, and while that helped me improve my Leopard play, I'm stumped at getting my feet under me with the VK2801. Any advice is quite welcomed, because I know I suck right now with this tank. :)

Same advice from me: don't drive the VK2801.

Even though it is still my record high xp tank (2526), I barely kept 50% WR after 200 battles.

You really need to learn a lot more about how the game works before you can perform well in the Leo or VK28.

Tito

Sell it. 8.8 nerfs it again.

Go for Chaffee, its awesome.

why did 8.8 nerf it again?

Mobility was decreased again by lowering its turn rate. And it received new engines - I believe this led to a worse acceleration as well, but I can´t say fer sure because I haven´t touched the VK2801 since its last major nerf when they toned down its top speed to 60 kmh.

On a positive note, it now has the FuG 5 radio - Cheers!

i liked mine pre 8.8(havn't played it after) but i sucked ass in it was fun though then again it was pre heat nerf >.>

I could have lived with all the nerfs(HEAT, speed, one tier up,...), but imho the most annoying thing now is its matchmaking. It still sees tier 8+ on a regular schedule, and it simply has no purpose there anymore for the well known reasons.

The VK 28.01 can't carry as hard as it used to, but the tank still rocks and it still, even after all the nerfs, kicks major Chaffee butt.

Here are some YouTubes of the Cougar in action

The VK2801 is huge, it's really slow for a light tank. I was happy to get rid of it when I was done. I haven't picked up the next light in the tech tree line yet, but it seems to be the same story.

Chaffee is miles better.

To be honest: I didn't actually hate the tank, even though I played most of my games in it without 6th sense. I found this derp gun on a light tank to be a fun (but perhaps not very effective) diversion. Yeah, the HEAT ammo sucks, but it's great at annoying big bad tanks with HE. Or being mean against other scouts. At least it has the accuracy buff going for it? I mostly didn't enjoy the style very much: I'd rather have a pew pew gun, IE hello T21!

I wanted to like my 2801 so badly. Did 59% in the leopard, 57% in the awfulpanther, but barely eeked out 51% in the 2801 and I was damn proud of all these W/Rs (all solo with these vehicles)- all done post scout nerfs (ie in the last 7 months). 

It's plump, there aren't that many other light tanks to "counter" and even so they can generally out run and outsnipe/fire on the move you and with the derp gun you can't really snipe and have a near-useless gold round with the HEAT modification. Sure you can pen arty once in a while. But there's not even that much arty anymore. Seriously, the hetzer's gold round in tiers 8-10, go die. 

With tracks as spaced armor you are doing maybe 60 damage to most tanks when you do hit and with view range and alpha creep you get outspotted easily and instantly snuffed out when you are.  As far as I am concerned this is one of, if not the single, biggest victims of the culminating 2013 game changes. 

It's an edge of your seat ride every game, but that doesn't mean it has not been thoroughly screwed in just about every way possible and is quite frustrating to play.

I have to say I respect Taz for climbing into that thing every day.  Takes some moxie. 

I can't recall seen it once for months. Besides the nerf, the line is basically dead end. It is really pointless to grind in this thing.

They really took all the fun out of the 2801. They made it weaker and weaker while at the same time the power creep of new higher tier tanks left the 2801 behind in the dust. I really can't think of any good reason to drive it these days. I would love to have a reason, but there isn't one. 

Anyway, there are a bunch of good guides out there for the 2801, most of them will apply. You can still passive and active scout. Focus on getting 6th sense, camo then view range (in that order). Be active, be passive, help as much as you can and YOU will be good, but the tank still isn't.