Sign in to follow this  
Euchre

Help with my worst maps..

After getting my shit pushed in by Precambrian in this this thread  I realize to get any kind of consistency out of my play i need to fix my issues with "OMG WTF DO I DO" on these maps.

(Seriously though Precambrian, i do appreciate the help, and it really has made me take a look at things i do that need to change)

Specific tank to make it easier T-54.

My type of gameplay has been "invisitank" and is something i have been working very hard to perfect.  I do well on open maps, and my 60 day stats reflect this.

However on city type maps, or mixed city/field maps im about as comfortable as a monkey fucking a football.

I want to be like this....  

animated-gifs-9-12.gif?w=314&h=228

But usually end up more like this.....

Parkour-fail-stairwell.gif

Basically the first part i need to get right is positioning.  My initial deployments are usually bad, and that leads to a calamity of errors after that.  

So what i need help with is good starting locations on these maps, and maybe a secondary spot to go to after that.

I am trying to (obviously) get as much dmg in as i can without taking it.  But the close combat ranges in city maps makes that very difficult for me to get used to.

FTR, i don't hardly play heavies at ALL.  almost all Med's, TD's, and Lights...  hence why my close combat map skills are bad.  I am getting more comfortable brawling in Meds, and i am confident i can place shots well, and hit spots that will pen.  Problem is i tend to engage in bad spots that cost me to much health.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Specific tank to make it easier T-54.

My type of gameplay has been "invisitank" and is something i have been working very hard to perfect.  I do well on open maps, and my 60 day stats reflect this.

Just by reading this, you're probably way too much at the back line. If you wanted a tier 9 invisitank sniper, you would've been better off with an obj704.

Invisitank isn't why people play T-54 - I mean you can do it sometimes if it's the best option, but just often times it isn't.

edit: And frankly, DPG/WN7 is a terrible measure of performance for mediums in high tier. You should be controlling vision and get tons of spotting damage on open maps. By doing this, you'll be doing less damage, but winning more. I just hate those meds on redshire that camp the fucking hill on redshire north spawn. Get your ass down to the 1-line and later K-line and get some damn spots going.

The ideal spot is one that fulfills the following conditions :

• Can impact a large part of the map, ideally an entire flank or parts of multiple flanks
  • Has a "safe" zone, where you can quickly retreat to if you get spotted. It should not take you more than one or two seconds to get to that safe zone.
  • The distance between the spot and your targets is roughly the same as your targets' view range
  • Has access to an escape route that allows you to reposition if you're about to be overwhelmed
  • Has visual cover (brushes)

Not every map has a spot that does all these things, but this is what you should be looking for. Some locations are better suited for tanks with good gun depression. Start by observing good players and where they go, especially if you think they're going to snipe early on. Memorize that spot, and next time you play that map, try it out. Maybe it's not that good, maybe it has a few glaring weaknesses, or maybe it turns out that it's such a good spot that you'll never go anywhere else again. By trying it out, you can also learn how to counter it by paying attention to what his you from where. Basically, try every single spot, understand what each spot's strengths and weaknesses are and reposition accordingly. The best spots for me usually offer cover in the form of hills and bumps as opposed to houses or rocks, but that's not an absolute rule. It's a lot of trial & error (and a lot of potatoes) but in the end I'd say it's worth it.

Just by reading this, you're probably way too much at the back line. If you wanted a tier 9 invisitank sniper, you would've been better off with an obj704.

Invisitank isn't why people play T-54 - I mean you can do it sometimes if it's the best option, but just often times it isn't.

edit: And frankly, DPG/WN7 is a terrible measure of performance for mediums in high tier. You should be controlling vision and get tons of spotting damage on open maps. By doing this, you'll be doing less damage, but winning more. I just hate those meds on redshire that camp the fucking hill on redshire north spawn. Get your ass down to the 1-line and later K-line and get some damn spots going.

that is exactly my problem.  I know i need to get up to the frontline and do more damage early and affect the outcome of the battle.  The reason i mention liking to "invisitank" is i excel at that with my TD's and scouts and that has taught me the importance of survive till lategame where those types of tanks can make a huge difference.

While i have developed some solid skills with my tier 5-7 stuff, now that i am playing more 8-9-10 i am really starting to see the gaps in my personal skillet, that the better players at the upper tiers reveal.

I am going to spend some time in a training room with these maps tonight to try and find some better spots.  

Do you know anywhere i can look and find Medium tank specific high tier replays to learn from?  preferable with commentary so i can understand the thought process behind what they are doing.  I have found many without commentary, and they are helpful, but commentary always helps!

I do get tons of spotting damage and vision control on open maps, now i just need to bring my other tanking skills up to that level.

Again i appreciate the responses.  the people here are what makes WOTlabs great!

The ideal spot is one that fulfills the following conditions :

• Can impact a large part of the map, ideally an entire flank or parts of multiple flanks
  • Has a "safe" zone, where you can quickly retreat to if you get spotted. It should not take you more than one or two seconds to get to that safe zone.
  • The distance between the spot and your targets is roughly the same as your targets' view range
  • Has access to an escape route that allows you to reposition if you're about to be overwhelmed
  • Has visual cover (brushes)

Not every map has a spot that does all these things, but this is what you should be looking for. Some locations are better suited for tanks with good gun depression. Start by observing good players and where they go, especially if you think they're going to snipe early on. Memorize that spot, and next time you play that map, try it out. Maybe it's not that good, maybe it has a few glaring weaknesses, or maybe it turns out that it's such a good spot that you'll never go anywhere else again. By trying it out, you can also learn how to counter it by paying attention to what his you from where. Basically, try every single spot, understand what each spot's strengths and weaknesses are and reposition accordingly. The best spots for me usually offer cover in the form of hills and bumps as opposed to houses or rocks, but that's not an absolute rule. It's a lot of trial & error (and a lot of potatoes) but in the end I'd say it's worth it.

I am going to work on this tonight.  I appreciate the great info.  Sadly as well as i do with passive scouting and vision control I should know these things!!!!  that's the frustrating part.

Sometimes you just need a good kick in the ass to realize your weakness, and overcome it.

Have you tried early hulldown spotting on Ruinberg east and Prov center? (works best with no arty) You don't need to shoot stuff, just get your cupola over a slope for a second or two (at speed). Then you can shoot anybody rushing center road Ruinberg or suiscouts on Prov or flex to the other side of the map or whatever.