Treeburst

Leo PT A upgrade path?

Wanted to get some good players opinions on this. I free XP'd the 105, but I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm leaning towards engine, then tracks, then turret.

Input?

No, have optics, rammer, and vert stab on right now. I guess if I had to give one of those up I would probably choose the rammer.

Give up optics and stay back. You don't have the engine and track for improved mobility yet, not that you want to spot with this often anyways, even for passive. The true DPM (counting target acquisition time added from slow turret, large dispersion and long aim time) of this tank is already atrocious, so you'll want the rammer.

If you drop one piece of equipment (I think I went rammer/vert stab), you can fit the upgraded gun, engine and turret on the stock tracks.

Are you using the suspension module? I'd put tracks behind turret.

You don't need the tracks to mount anything. The stock tracks will hold the turret, and gun.

Here is how I did it.

gun->turret->engine->tracks

I put the turret over the engine because it improves your view range, aim time, and drops the reload by 2.5 seconds.

Wanted to get some good players opinions on this. I free XP'd the 105, but I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm leaning towards engine, then tracks, then turret.

Input?

Here was my LeoPTA upgrade path:

Free XP straight to Leo1.

You don't need the tracks to mount anything. The stock tracks will hold the turret, and gun.

Here is how I did it.

gun->turret->engine->tracks

I put the turret over the engine because it improves your view range, aim time, and drops the reload by 2.5 seconds.

I think I do remember talking with clan mate about it not needing tracks first. But what about equipment weight? I might have had to use the suspension because equipments pushed over the weight limit or something.
I recently went through this and just did the math to make sure I give good info.

You can mount rammer, vert stab and optics on the stock tank.   The upgraded turret is heavier so you can fit only a 100kg equipment like vert stab (not rammer) on the stock tracks with everything but the turret stock.    The 105mm is lighter than the 90mm so you can fit any equipment you want if you have the upgraded turret and gun on the stock tracks, stock engine.   With 105mm, upgraded turret, upgraded engine, I believe you can barely fit rammer, vert stab, and optics on the stock tracks.   IOW, if you do the gun first, you can leave the tracks for last.

I didn't know all this when I ground the PTA.   I upgraded the turret first because it gives better aim time, which bugged me a lot.   Because of all my equipment I had to install the enhanced torsion bars at that time.   I followed the turret upgrade with 105, then engine, then tracks.  In hindsight, I guess it might be better to do the gun first, then turret, then engine, then tracks, skipping the enhanced torsion bars altogether. 

One other point, I've read that some people value mobility upgrades over gun upgrades.  Not me, but upgrading tracks and engine first is an option if you don't mind the stock gun.  IMO, the PTA doesn't shine until it has all the upgrades.  (Except radio, which isn't needed at all.) 

I think I do remember talking with clan mate about it not needing tracks first. But what about equipment weight? I might have had to use the suspension because equipments pushed over the weight limit or something.

You can get the gun and equipment on without the suspension. There's a little extra capacity in the stock suspension and the 105mm gun is 400 kg lighter than the stock gun. 

I didn't have enough free xp for the gun, so I went tracks and engine first. The 9cm is pretty terrible on a tier 9 tank though.

Turret first.

An absolute no brainer since this will improve your aim time by 0.6 or something.

The gun is a DPM downgrade, and by far the biggest amount of expi.

Turret first.

An absolute no brainer since this will improve your aim time by 0.6 or something.

The gun is a DPM downgrade, and by far the biggest amount of expi.

I can see your reasoning for this, but there is one problem. The upgraded turret adds enough weight to the tank that you can't run a full load out of modules, or even some of the heavier modules like a gun rammer. If you go with the upgraded gun first it actually reduces the weight of the tank so you can field a everything (gun, turrett, 3 modules, engine, and radio) without needing to research the tracks.

Here's what I did in mine.

Bought a torsion bar and mounted optics & v-stab. Went straight for turret > engine > gun > tracks. The 90 mm's reload time was quite to my liking so I never bothered mounting rammer on it.

I can see your reasoning for this, but there is one problem. The upgraded turret adds enough weight to the tank that you can't run a full load out of modules, or even some of the heavier modules like a gun rammer. If you go with the upgraded gun first it actually reduces the weight of the tank so you can field a everything (gun, turrett, 3 modules, engine, and radio) without needing to research the tracks.

However, don't you get the worse gun stats if you don't upgrade the turret? 0.36 accuracy instead of 0.32, 4.47 RPM instead of 5.2, 2.9 aim time instead of 2.3.

However, don't you get the worse gun stats if you don't upgrade the turret? 0.36 accuracy instead of 0.32, 4.47 RPM instead of 5.2, 2.9 aim time instead of 2.3.

Unfortunately yes, but I found it manageable if you stay at sniping distances. Either way the 90m with turret, or the 105mm without turret leaves you at a disadvantage to other tier 9 tanks and some tier8. Personally I preferred the alpha and pen of the 105mm over the dpm of the 90mm.

Unfortunately yes, but I found it manageable if you stay at sniping distances. Either way the 90m with turret, or the 105mm without turret leaves you at a disadvantage to other tier 9 tanks and some tier8. Personally I preferred the alpha and pen of the 105mm over the dpm of the 90mm.

That's why I free XP'd straight through. I totaled up the free XP needed to get tracks, engine, turret and gun, NONE of which carry over to any other German tank, and noted that getting the Leo1 was only 80K more free XP, so Leo1 it was.

I had tournament winnings burning a hole in my pocket, and no desire to drive an underpowered tier 9 for the ~160K XP needed for full upgrades.

That's why I free XP'd straight through. I totaled up the free XP needed to get tracks, engine, turret and gun, NONE of which carry over to any other German tank, and noted that getting the Leo1 was only 80K more free XP, so Leo1 it was.

I had tournament winnings burning a hole in my pocket, and no desire to drive an underpowered tier 9 for the ~160K XP needed for full upgrades.

If you can do that, it is the best route to go. I free XP'd the gun, and half the cost of the tracks. With the fully functional gun I haven't minded the grind for the engine/tracks/Leo. Plus, it's helping me get more skills trained on my crew for the Leo.

If you can do that, it is the best route to go. I free XP'd the gun, and half the cost of the tracks. With the fully functional gun I haven't minded the grind for the engine/tracks/Leo. Plus, it's helping me get more skills trained on my crew for the Leo.

More skills is always good! I ground up the crew using Panzer 4 with 105/HEAT (I was crew training, legit!) so I had a crew 99% on 2nd skill by the time I unlocked the Leo1.

Is it even possible to carry with the PTA though?  Despite its gun, I've found that it's almost entirely dependent on how your team performs due to its lack of armor and massive reload time for a med.

Thinking of just getting it to positive values, then ditching it for the Leo 1 once I have that finally unlocked.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing you did here, but I'm calculating the amount of exp I need and the Leo I is 62,000 + 216,000 exp, where as if you free exp'd all the modules it'd be ~82,000 for everything except the gun and then the 62,000 for the gun itself. I'm still at the Indien-Panzer and not sure if I'm looking foward to paper everything + 6 degrees of gun depression. Would you still recommend this? (Spend ~275,000 free exp to skip the Leo PTA entirely) ?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing you did here, but I'm calculating the amount of exp I need and the Leo I is 62,000 + 216,000 exp, where as if you free exp'd all the modules it'd be ~82,000 for everything except the gun and then the 62,000 for the gun itself. I'm still at the Indien-Panzer and not sure if I'm looking foward to paper everything + 6 degrees of gun depression. Would you still recommend this? (Spend ~275,000 free exp to skip the Leo PTA entirely) ?

I didn't drive the PTA, but I haven't heard many players praise it (AntonioHandsome aside...)

Essentially, it was 130K free XP extra for me to go straight through. I didn't want to drive a crappy tank, and I had the gold to burn, so I did it. Maybe someone who is driving a LeoPTA can explain its travails better.

First, I think the turret is the most important module after the gun. Frankly, without the turret the gun is garbage. And without the gun you might as well be driving an over-sized Indien Panzer. sr360 is right that without the turret, the gun's characteristics are very bad. With my super crew, rammer, and turret my reload is about 10.5. Without the turret it was 2-3 seconds longer than that...ie TERRIBAD dpm. Aim time also becomes glacial without the turret.

I did not free exp through the PTA, and I ground everything except the 105mm gun (free xp-ed that). My xvm in-game E rating on this tank is "X (3500)". My win rate is under 50%. My typical win rate at this tier is 55%-60%. It is hard to win in this tank. When you fire the gun, it is such a pleasure: accurate, high shell velocity, high penetration apcr as your standard round. Other than those brief moments of joy, the tank is very hard to play. Reload time is long, so there is a long time between those moments of joyful firing. Aim time is ok, but reticle bloom is high on movement and turret rotation so you must wait quite a while for the gun to settle before you can pull the trigger (peek-a-boom even at range is strongly discouraged). Module damage is rampant when you get hit by anything (and devastating if hit by arty, so keep moving). Gun depression is mediocre, but it hardly matters because most of your turret is easily penetrated so hull down isn't much of an option anyway. It works as a mobile sniper if you do max camo/view range. But it is awfully hard to win that way consistently without generous help from teammates.

Imagine you could only have an orgasm if you used sandpaper. That's the life of a Leopard PTA driver. That AntonioHandsome likes this tank says something about his level of kinkiness I think.

Robert