Expendable_Lad

Grinding mentality

Was thinking I would ask the Purps, but figured I would open this up.  I've been laying off grinding my fully upgraded 8s and 9s so I could start down the Russian Heavy and Medium line.  I am at tier 6 with both right now with the 1S and T34-85.  Both only have an upgraded turret, maybe the tracks, but no top engine or gun on 85 and certainly no top gun on 1S yet (while it lasts). 

In short I am regressing back to my stat-denier days in terms of equipment and in some ways it was an ignorance=bliss situation.  Now that I am more conscious of everything it is that much more frustrating grinding tank modules and feeling impotent on the battlefield. 

I am in a spot where, thanks to good-sport, talented clan platoons, my W/R has been going up as I grind, but my stats are back in green territory using the friggin derp-122 (my overall WN7 went DOWN a bit recently) on both tanks and being more of a placeholder than a real game changer. 

My question is, for those that have gotten a taste of the good-stats life. Do you find it harder grinding stock tanks now than when you were an ignorant junior tanker or just lowering your overall expectations?  Do you find yourself spending more gold and/or desperately scraping together free xp to avoid these situations or being reluctant about starting new lines to grind altogether? (It may also be that I am still a buffoon at mediums not counting the 3601).   

Or are you able to just be zen about it and accept the lower performance ceiling and try to make it up once you get all your modules?

My question is, for those that have gotten a taste of the good-stats life. Do you find it harder grinding stock tanks now than when you were an ignorant junior tanker or just lowering your overall expectations?  Do you find yourself spending more gold and/or desperately scraping together free xp to avoid these situations or being reluctant about starting new lines to grind altogether? (It may also be that I am still a buffoon at mediums not counting the 3601).   

Or are you able to just be zen about it and accept the lower performance ceiling and try to make it up once you get all your modules?

Ever since I became a tryhard turbonerd, I haven't done anywhere near the grinding I used to do. I used to just put up with and rage with an awful stock tank but not anymore.

New tanks are so few and far between these days that I save up enough free experience now to unlock at least a couple modules on a tank before I buy it and start playing it. Once I unlock a tank and free exp a couple modules, I will play a couple rounds to see if I can stand the grind, get frustrated, then convert some free experience with gold.

I've also made a conscious effort to not try to grind through multiple tanks at once, and when I do have to grind, I always alternate it with a good tank that I know can produce good stats.

I find it kind of sad how I do all of this now. Sometimes ignorance was bliss.

My stats go up when I go grind low-tier tanks, because in general, the opponents are less skilled than they are at higher tiers..

It's not exactly hard to influence matches with the 122mm howitzer, unless you don't fire HEAT.

I'm playing the A-43 , it's making me tear my hair out 

The plus side was that it was practically elite , the down side is the same 

It's a heap of junk i need to get 50K exp in 

Speaking of the A-43, when the hell are we getting the patch for NA? :(

Since i became a "stat-whore" grinding tanks became way more stressful specially when they are stock, wich i rarely grind because most of the times i just convert xp to get if fully upgraded, but then again, i rarely grind any tank anymore, with the exception now of the T-54, been grinding like crazy to get both T62a and 140 but then again, its the T-54, cant even be considered a grind cause im having so much fun with this OP machine.

One tank i dont dare touching while its stock is the Leopard PT A, god... that thing is awful, bought it, played 1 game, sold it (i needed the garage slot and the silver). i´ll just wait when i have gold to spare so i can get him fully upgraded (costs 151k xp to do that).

The thing is, sometimes ignorance (and/or being a newbie) is a bliss, cause you rdont really care about stats, you dont care about how other players play and you´re just happy that you´re playing the game and that you´re getting closer to the next tank.

The pubbies don't care about their stats. And I bet they play a more fun game because of it from time to time. Since I started trying being a tryhard I would probably never grind the Leopard line. Or the Maus.

Or the british heavies. I kind of feel a bit restricted in this game now. And I spend way too much moniez on gold. :(

I just recently got the hang of this game and how to play it 'successfully' on our own made up scale. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing yet...

I basically just do not grind. Most games you play just for the sake of playing, MMOs like this add the extra layer of grind which is just a mind-fuck psychological addiction tool. If you reach the point you're playing a useless tank because you have to, that's defeating the purposing of playing a game for fun.

If I have a tank that needs to be equipped I just play premiums and other fully equipped tanks until I have the free XP to play the tank once it's actually playable. If it takes a while, so what. I'd rather play 1000 battles of game than 100 battles of work.

My stats go up when I go grind low-tier tanks, because in general, the opponents are less skilled than they are at higher tiers..

It's not exactly hard to influence matches with the 122mm howitzer, unless you don't fire HEAT.

You can certainly crush it with HEAT, but with aim time and the big reticle, spamming it at 7s and 8s is finnicky. But you are right; I did get my Ace Tanker badge on the KV1S only 12 games in with the short-122 derp. 

In the back of my mind I know this frustration is pretty centered on my own stat-whoring and me being a big baby about having to grind a tank... 

I usually judge better importance of modules and save free exps for their purchases. Before I watched my stats, I played just for fun. Now I try to not suck and play for fun. It is harder because when I suck I don't have fun. In my starting days I didn't know that and blamed rest of the team mostly. But with my every improvement I earn more exps and shortens the grind, so it is actually easier. Even when I know I am grinding. Damn is it easier?