Sign in to follow this  
PanzerXO

The best (unsung) Tier VI medium.... VK 30.01 D

I was pleasantly surprised by this tank. I am a long-time fan of the VK 36.01 H, and never thought I would like another Tier VI German tank. If you like relatively fast mediums with good view range and a decent ability to hull down, this may be a tank you will enjoy.

The best analog is the E2 / E8 pair from the American medium line. (36 = E2, 30 D. = Easy 8.).

For a German tank it has great gun depression, excellent power to weight, a superior view range (for its tier) and a funny turret that has the ability to bounce random shots. It can pen pretty much any flank, and most everything frontally with SPrem. Anything you can't pen, can be flanked, or just left for others to deal with.

I've used it successfully as a scout-medium when low tiered and trolled with it in Tier VI matches. It favors a dynamic and balanced play style. It also prints credits well (if you don't spam SPrem).

Anyway, this thing is one of the most under played tanks in the game... but one I think many players will enjoy.

I don't think advertising a tank is what this part is for (more for questions about german tanqz) and doing so on the official forums is prob the better idea for your endeavor. 

Good point. Didn't intend this as an advert but more of a 'damn, but this thing is better than expected' post. Fact is that after moving on to the American Medium line, I fell out of love with German tanks in this game.

But with this new VK, I found a tank that is competitive within the current meta game.

Folks here are the most likely to appreciate this tank's strengths, so it seemed appropriate.

This tank has terrible camo, while 3001H has one of the best.  I also can't make the L/70 work as well as the short 88.  It's a complete mismatch for my playstyle, which is why I'm terrible in it.

But most German players (or simply less-bad players) will probably do better in it.  Bad alpha and bad camo are typical "German" tank traits, aside from tier 9-10 heavies and the tier 10 TD having higher alpha.

I'm enjoying mine quite a bit, also more than I expected to. I thought it was merely OK until I got the top engine, but that upgrade gave it just that extra bit more to make me really like it.

I like the gun depression, something I've gotten spoiled by from US tanks, and while not in the same league as the US mediums, it does, at least, have a useful amount. Out of all the tier 6 Germans, I think this one is the best platform for the L/70 (other than the premium), and I have found it a useful tank as both a sniper, and as a kind of flanker-scout hybrid. Enough speed and ROF to make a decent anti-scout too.

Do not rely on that armor though, or you will get punished SEVERELY, though I have found it bouncier than the Cromwell ... not that that's saying much. But hey, learning a "fast, good gun, do NOT get shot" play-style should come in handy for the rest of this line.

This is indeed a wonderful tank.  I adhere to the OP's statement that it requires a balanced and dynamic playstyle.  It really, really rewards those with map and situational awareness and the willingness to change locations and tactics on the fly. 

Great tank!

This is one of the many low- to mid-tier German tanks that just kind of get lumped together as one of those numbered tanks for me. They all seem to share the same weakspots and haven't stood out enough to actually learn any of them in particular. I know almost every Russian and American tank by tier, class and how it plays, but the Deutschland just has a bunch of similar grey boxes.

I've played the 3001H, 3001P, 3601H, and 3002db.  Basically you take the same two guns and give them 4 different platforms with slightly different flavors.  None of them have ever felt like standouts to me (thus the reason I've sold them all).

I am somewhat curious about the 3001D and supposedly it will be part of the next On-Track event, so I'll probably give it a whirl.  I don't particularly love the L/70 but I guess it is decent for a tier 6 medium.

I've played the 3001H, 3001P, 3601H, and 3002db.  Basically you take the same two guns and give them 4 different platforms with slightly different flavors.  None of them have ever felt like standouts to me (thus the reason I've sold them all).

I am somewhat curious about the 3001D and supposedly it will be part of the next On-Track event, so I'll probably give it a whirl.  I don't particularly love the L/70 but I guess it is decent for a tier 6 medium.

VK 36.01 H definitively stands out. Since the Konisch got buffed, it has a new and different top gun. High pen, nasty RoF, decent damage, good mobility. Moreover, it has by far the best armor. Unfortunately, this medium royalty now becomes a low alpha heavy and will get worse MM weight in the process.

The VK 30.01 D may be the second standout. Right now it is by far the most dynamic platform for the L70. It's fast (only the VK 30.01H has a similar hp/weight ratio), Its armor may not be impressive (60mm frontal) but it is unique for a tier VI German medium in being well sloped. The turret mounted in the front of the tank is another feature granting the VK 30.01 D an edge over it's competitors. I have only played it on the testserver myself. But I got an excellent impression from it.

Have only heard about this tank, but basically what i've heard is that the 30.01D is viable and can be fun, but the 30.02D is just a big turkey that leads to the rather decent but not incredible Indien Panzer. 30.01H is being moved to tier 5 apparently, not sure whats going to follow it. 

30.01D is probably only mid-tier German Medium that actually plays a bit more like a medium, with the rest having to too slow a turret or too little armor/too slow/ or too crummy a turret (traverse and or depression) to brawl and flank like a medium should, with the exception of maybe the Panther M/10 Tier 7 premium. 

I must be an oddball, but I loved my 3002D.  Wonderful tank.  It can do some of everything except take on the big boys.  Flank, proximity scout, travel with wolf pack and bully meds, great light hunter and flanker.

I must be an oddball, but I loved my 3002D.  Wonderful tank.  It can do some of everything except take on the big boys.  Flank, proximity scout, travel with wolf pack and bully meds, great light hunter and flanker.

Just out of curiosity did you run it with Stock turret and 75/ L70, or short 88 and slow turret?

I really enjoyed this tank, found it more fun to play and did better in it than the vk3601 and vk3001, had many good games and ended up close to 1.2k DPG after I finish the grind. The symmetry is pleasant to look at too. Will probably rebuy it when there is discount.

Just out of curiosity did you run it with Stock turret and 75/ L70, or short 88 and slow turret?

This is actually the tier 6 3001d, so it doesn't have the 88 as an option.  If you are referring to the 3002db, then I went with the heavy turret and the 88 :)

I am reviving this thread to give the VK 30.01 D some love. Hardly anyone talks about this tank, but even I -- a certified scrub --been having some big games with it lately. The tank is a true medium jack-of-all-trades: It can move very well, snipe a little, flank a little, scout a little, play hull down reasonably well on hills, and take a little punishment. The gun is somewhere between that of the Easy 8 (pew pew) and the T-34-85 (kaboom) in terms of rate of fire and alpha, but feels substantially more accurate than either.

The 30.01 D's  position on the tech tree may be what makes it the Rodney Dangerfield of mediums. There isn't much past the 30.01 D that anyone wants to grind, while the other German medium tree finishes with the E-50 and E-50M . . . .

Who else feels the love? How do you play the tank?

I just got this tank as part of my Leopard 1 grind. I love the thing. After 15 battles, I have 14 wins, and a tank based wn8 in the 2800 range.

It drives like a tier 6 T-34. Fast, fast firing. The cromwell tries, but it's got awful gun handling. This one trades a little speed for a much more responsive gun which can snipe or peek instead of needing to 'run & gun'

I had considered buying this a few months ago, but then I looked at the stats for the tank.  It's really just a worse Cromwell.  Its gun handling is just as bad (30.01 has 4% better track dispersion but 14% worse turret dispersion), it has significantly worse mobility, and it has significantly worse DPM.  I just don't see the point.

It'd probably be the armor. The thickness of both tanks suck (although the 3001D much less so, of course), but the addition of a lot of slope, a smaller turret, and a mantlet on the 30.01D means you can't necessarily expect every shot to pen regardless of what angle it hits at. The nice thing about fighting a Cromwell is that if the round hits, you almost certainly will be dealing damage. Abusing the armor of either tank will be an impossible task, but I'm willing to bet that 3001D drivers get several orders of magnitude more ricochets.

Also, the gun handling is likely to be a lot better than it would seem, given how fast the Cromwell and its turret move.

Can't say whether that makes the tank any better than the crom, but it's something.

To be honest, for how fast it goes, I don't find it to be much more effective than the T-34-85. Having that kind of alpha advantage with a good chassis and decent gun handling is just too good to pass up in many cases.

It's OK tank, but not much more than that. From what I've played, T-34-85 and Cromwell are better tanks, but VK30D is superior to other two German tier 6 MT turds. It's kinda like A-43 or Type 58 - similar to Cromwell/T-34-85 but not quite.

Idk if I should make a new thread at this point but 3 years later I'm having the same experience as the OP. I might just be overreacting after 25 games of pretending to be a unicum but this thing is surprisingly awesome. After being pleasantly surprised with the pz 3/4 I'm starting to wonder if this line is just low key great and hated on because "meh corridor meta"

This tank is basically an armored cromwell that doesn't actually aim slower than reload. And doesn't have the humongous flat turret