NachtKriechen

What mix of tanks do Purple's play daily?

Question

I've been looking at the stat signatures, and the Tier ranges run the gamut, but the average seems to consistently be around tiers 6, 7, and 8.    I have been playing all of my tanks daily, until I can clear the x2 experience.....but I generally find myself jumping back into the ones I enjoy (M5, M4, Hetzer, VK36.01H), while I'm waiting for my "grinds" to clear-out of battles.    Generally, I tend to lose more matches in the tanks I'm just playing to get to the next Tier, just because I'm not comfortable in them....but can clear-out the others, usually on the first try.

Do you play a specific selection of your tanks?

Do you have "go-to" tanks that you run more often than others?

Do you have grinding tanks that you just dread getting into (you play it, just because you need the next tank in the Tech Tree, and can't free xp past it)?

Do you have a tank well below (or well above) your average Tier that -must- be played every day?

Do you even care about the x2 (or x3 & x5 bonuses) anymore?

24 answers to this question

Tanks i'm grinding, tournament tanks, and tanks I like. (ordered from frequency)

Yes.

Do you have grinding tanks that you just dread getting into (you play it, just because you need the next tank in the Tech Tree, and can't free xp past it)?

Yes.

Do you have a tank well below (or well above) your average Tier that -must- be played every day?

No.

No.

The thing to keep in mind though, is that it's not exactly common for 'better' players need to wait for their tanks to get out of matches, because deaths happen less frequently, as well as less early.

My answers are virtually the same as Servios' minus tournament tanks. 

HOWEVER, the effort and style I undertook to get purple does not reflect my current tank choices. 

And, you can go to noobmeter.com and see exactly who is playing what in a given day/month year. 

http://www.noobmeter.com/recent/na/CrabEatOff/1002554374/1002554374_00010970_20130918_110533/1002554374_00010984_20130919_192606

T57 because I like it 

Bat because it fucking love it

T49 because sr360 wanted a double on his Ram II, and because I like it

110 new tank so grinding it. I happen to like it

T-54 all time favorite tank, also working on the Obj 140, but no rush

T110E5 because I like it

AMX 50 120 grinding it, but lazily as always

Tiger H also grinding it, also to see how the patch changed things

This is more "progress" tanks than I've had in 6 months - T-54, 50 120, 110, Tiger H

BUT, if I had not gotten a double, I would not have cared all that much, I mostly just play what I feel, or play to work a specific skillset. 

The thing to keep in mind though, is that it's not exactly common for 'better' players need to wait for their tanks to get out of matches, because deaths happen less frequently, as well as less early.

No, no, I completely understand that....probably shouldn't have put that in the question at all.   I was just trying (rather poorly) to frame situations where you get nuked in a tank that you really don't like to play (5 minutes in, or 5 minutes left, it doesn't really matter), and had no vested interest to sit around and watch the conclusion of the game....because the outcome was likely already decided. 

I'd say play whatever you want, just don't expect all tanks to perform the same. The point is to have fun and if you're too fixated on playing just certain tanks, you start restricting and cornering yourself into a comfort zone which is deadly to individual skills.

Whatever I have in garage I like to play, except all my tens (which I enjoy playing, it's just there's too many of them, and other tanks take precedence for crew grinding etc)

I'm sure everyone does.

AMX M4 45 IS THAT YOU?

T1 cunningham and T2 light, I try to get my doubles on them for tournament purposes (want that stacked 5 skill cunningHAM crew yo)

no, honestly, unless I'm grinding up a tech tree, when I try to get my double on that specific tank

You can stalk purples via noobmeter, look every day which tanks they played and how much, with an overall idea of the success.

Or find where they live and watch them from the window.

Tito

I don't think I can be considered a proper purple (yet) but I'll answer anyway.

No

Yes

Not anymore as I think I can play any tank at least decent at the moment. It is a nice challenge to get purple stats eg in the dreaded lor 40t (I don't even have blue stats with it yet).

Yes, kind of. Look at answer above.

Yes, also I care about almost every mission and special. But I do not play any tank just for the 5x/3x bonus

I usually have one tank I'm grinding but other than that I'm playing what I feel like.

For sure.  It changes with time but I love playing tier 9 mediums the most.  Lately it's the Leo 1, M6, and T54

Right now it's the ISU-152.  I don't like TD's and I really don't like slow tanks.  I want to have one good tier 10 TD and the 268 looks like a safe bet.

I love my M6 heavy and will play it virtually every day.   I typically like to play tanks from tier 6 through 9.  I'm more likely to play tier 10 if I'm in a platoon.

I like the bonus crew experience specials but don't really care about 'doing my doubles' anymore.

Do you play a specific selection of your tanks? (This and the second question seem to be asking the same thing)

I enjoy grinding tanks so that is what I spend most of my time doing. If I am close to finishing a vehicle, I may play that more regularly than others. For example, I finished the grind of the JPZE100 this morning. From about the time I got away 30k from the 210k needed to unlock it, I've been playing my jagdtiger more than normal.

Yes. Premium tanks to make money. I am more a heavy player so often in platoons with friends I will play a heavy while they play mediums.

I have every non-arty line, save the 263 line, to at least tier 8 and so I have a wide selection of tanks to grind. Because of that, I can put a tank on hold if I don't enjoy it and come back to it later. I haven't been enjoying solo pubbing the Centurion 1 so that thing hasn't been moving forward much. I ground the T34 with the 105 when it was a tier 9. Many people would agree this grind was the worst in the game. However, grinding is a part of the game and you just have to be willing to put in the time. Playing with the 105 on the T34 was painful until I learned how to put out two shots for each one my opponent put out and I could come out ahead in exchanges. Stock versus elite vehicles have to be played differently and that can add some flavor/fun in grinds.

The only tank I have used some of my previous free experience was to get past the A-20 because f*ck that thing.  Funny, because my first top gun was in the PZNA38 and I thought I would always keep that tank. The PzNA38 was my first tier 4 whereas the A-20 was after a few thousand battles. Perception really changed how the two grinds felt.

I play my T1 on a daily basis. I get the 2x for that crew. On 3x or 5x, I may put the crew into the T1E6 or T2LT (I am debating getting a locust). My T1 has their third crew skill in the 80s and that is very useful for tournaments. If in a bush with net and binocs, I can often shoot an approaching T1 without them spotting me. Yes, I am only in the minor league so mostly bads but it still paid off (20k+ gold ty).

If I am grinding a tank that doesn't have all the modules upgraded? Yes. This helps make the grind quicker and less painful. I am in school working on two degrees= I don't have money to throw into this game so I have never spent money on free experience. This is one of the ways to make certain stock tanks more bearable. Granted, I save up the normal free experience and use that on truly terrible vehicles.

For fully upgraded vehicles or for crew development, I don't care that much about them anymore. If I get it done, sweet. If I don't, no sweat.

I'd say play whatever you want, just don't expect all tanks to perform the same. The point is to have fun and if you're too fixated on playing just certain tanks, you start restricting and cornering yourself into a comfort zone which is deadly to individual skills.

This is an interesting take.  It was recommended that working one line, or one play style is the best way to go for those of us try-hards.  So you would recommend playing a variety?

Yes, 75% of what I play is whatever I'm currently grinding but the rest is a few select tanks I enjoy playing. T49, T29, Batchat are a few of these. I also keep at least one tank I consider best in each tier to play with people who want to run something else.

Yes, the same ones that I find most fun, which are generally really good tanks. Gotta have fun to play well and gotta play well to have fun.

Yes, the Object 704 is that for me right now, because I am just not nearly as good at TDs as I should be. It's on a bit of a hiatus until I spend some time watching TD replays and maybe do some test server experimentation, because I hate not playing well enough to win and not contributing enough in a platoon.

Nope, but T49 and Hellcat I play every few days because they're fun.

x2s and x3s are meaningless to me, x5s I will get on all of the tanks I'm grinding exp or crew on if I am going to be on for a while. Trying to get dailies daily is such a chore and sucks the fun out of the game, with pressure on getting a high performance win every battle so I can move on to the next.

This is an interesting take.  It was recommended that working one line, or one play style is the best way to go for those of us try-hards.  So you would recommend playing a variety?

Bear in mind, he's Antonio. Your received recommendations are correct.

Yes, though it varies from time to time.  I also try to throw in some of my seldom played tanks, just to stay sharp.  I tend to work in streaks.  I'll have a few weeks where I really want to play lights, or TDs, or meds. 

A few.  Pz IC or Luchs for some light tank fun.  Lights mostly free me from the pressure of carrying.  Sometimes, that makes things more fun.  Other times, it means I don't care enough, which makes me ask "Why am I even playing right now?"

T49 when the pubs have me frustrated.  Near limitless carry potential, it lets me ignore the bads and rack up 6+ kill wins.

Leo Proto A.  Not sure why, but I tend to pick this one when I can't decide what I want to play.

If I don't enjoy it, I don't play it.  I have a few tanks that I dread getting into, but will play it in CW if called upon.  i.e. T-62a.

Don't like playing arti much, but I tend to get my double in the GW-E.  I still think that playing arti helps you learn to avoid it, and I am called on to play the GW-E in CW on rare occasions.

No.  Though I am playing around in a T1, in preparation of tournament play. 

Mostly no.  I pay more attention to crew skill bonuses than experience bonuses. 

Bear in mind, he's Antonio. Your received recommendations are correct.

Thank you.

What does that even mean?!

My question, or Agamemnon's answer?

eh, I'd disagree with the gospel as well. working "one style" of tank might be applicable early, when you're trying to learn basic game mechanics, but once you understand how to drive your tank around and shoot, there's something to be gained from playing different classes, and playing them regularly

Antonio is right, you want to learn all the styles. Maybe just not in the same day. Maybe just two styles in a day. It depends on how good you are at switching  and how try-hard you are feeling. 

When you are learning a playstyle it's generally best to just play that, it makes it easier to get it down. A couple a a time is fine. Of course once you have finished you should move on to trying other lines and learning them the same way. Just at different times, and not switching around between them every day.

What Ruestir said, "It was recommended that working one line, or one play style is the best way to go for those of us try-hards.  So you would recommend playing a variety?" sounded like he was asking about learning in multiple lines at once and playing those different styles together. That will just throw you off and make mastery of any of them harder.

My comment was pointing out that Antonio has Antonio's skills and Antonio's mastery of several different play styles, so he's much more able to play whatever whenever with success.

You can stalk purples via noobmeter, look every day which tanks they played and how much, with an overall idea of the success.

Or find where they live and watch them from the window.

Well, that's just creepy.  

By the way, you're almost out of milk.  

What Ruestir said, "It was recommended that working one line, or one play style is the best way to go for those of us try-hards.  So you would recommend playing a variety?" sounded like he was asking about learning in multiple lines at once and playing those different styles together. That will just throw you off and make mastery of any of them harder.

This was exactly what I was after and I how I took your initial response.  I've limited myself to playing turreted TD's and heavies for the most part lately(can I say that for a span that has crossed most of the year?) as those play styles are practically interchangeable, while dabbling in medium and light tank play with mixed but mostly crappy results.  I keep falling back to TD's and heavies because I'm comfortable there and play with pretty good success, but I think the time has about come to jump into medium play until I "get it".

I tend to just play whatever is in my garage that I need to play, followed by things that I enjoy.

For reference, currently, I'm playing the following for the need to play them, IE, to grind for new tanks/lines:

T-54, AMX 50 Foch, Leopard PTA, KV-3, IS-2, Chuchill 1

And for enjoyment:

E-100, Batchat, T57, T62A, T54(This tank is good, okay?), very occasionally Tetrarch/M8A1/Hellcat/thing, IS6, KV5, FCM 50t.