ANTICAMPER

IS-6 Appreciation thread.

IS6, the only tank where if you stack 3 of them together, magic happens.

Platoonmate #1 "Hey Carbon lets bring a Type 59 for speed"

Me "No, IS6 Better"

Platoonmate #2 "Hey Carbon lets bring a FCM"

Me "No, IS6 Better"

Platoonmate #1 "Hey Carbon lets bring a Kv5"

Me "Hmm... Kv5 also Good"

Platoonmate #2"Hey Carbon lets bring a Super Pershing"

*Platoonmate #2 has left the platoon*

2zi54q8.jpg

Not really. I mean, you can, but why bother? The IS-6 and KV-5 do basically the same job, the IS-6 just being a little more punchy and KV-5 having a little more staying power. The Type 59 is just not as good as an IS-6, but I can see where you're coming from - I mean, a medium to flex around is neat and all, but the IS-6 can flex too. If you're in a situation where a Type flexing would of won the match and an IS-6 flexing wouldn't have, you've made a pretty terrible mistake some time beforehand.

Triple IS-6 all the way.

IS-6 rapidly became my favorite tier 8 premium, far and away my best performing vehicle, letting me win nearly 3/4ths of my matches solo. It's really quite liberating to find a tank that lets me fully exercise my chosen style of driving at people and beating them in the face. It may have all the finesse of a sledgehammer, but it's hard to argue with results.

Some videos. In this first one I spend 3.5 minutes or so at 5 hitpoints and survive the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmq7kX7FWA

In this one I set what was briefly the Noobmeter #1 score, 2,021 base XP. At 191,940 credits pre-bonus, it was also my personal highest revenue match.

B3Or1gL.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnT6kpJq-Y

You guys are amazing, truely. At what point do you transfer your is-6 crew into a Russian heavy tank?

I had an IS-7, IS-4, KV-1S, and several other tankless crews from the tech tree shenanigans before I got an IS-6, so I just pick whichever one I feel like boosting. Currently training one of the homeless ones for gold transfer to the Object 140, since the only premium Soviet medium I have is the A-32, and the less I drive that the happier I am.

At some point in the past, I rage sold my IS-6 (and I don't even know why; I had like a 60% WR in it, even before I started getting better@tanks). I used the ONETIEMEVAR premium tank restoration on it and... best decision ever. This tank is pub-soul-breakingly op, even in tier 9 matches.

I have a hard time against tier VIII TD's though, since normally I abuse speed and agility of my usual mediums to take those out. Haven't figured out how to combat them as a heavy yet.

I've burned out a little on the IS-6, and really on all 0.40+ accuracy guns. Despite having over 500 battles in it, only 36 of them have happened since June. And I'd bet that almost all of those were with _ESA_. 

I will cycle back to it at some point, hopefully pushing the average XP over 1,200. It seems a waste to not enjoy my 4 skill IS-3 crew sometimes...

To those who still run the IS-6 a lot, Valachio, et al...

What set-up do you run? Do rations help make the aim-time and accuracy less painful? 

Basically I've barely played it since 0.8.6 acc changes or even since premium consumables became available. 

Conveniently, Valachio clicked over to his IS-6 during the T29 review video. Regular repair, Prem Med, Extra Rations. That plus BiA brings the accuracy down to...0.43 or 0.42? 

Would adding vents instead of the GLD be a worthwhile trade-off? 3.4 aim-time instead of 3.1, but with a base acc about 0.02 better to begin with? Or perhaps the rammer? The DPM of the IS-6 is something that is excellent....but reload speed isn't constantly in use, whereas vents affect every aspect.

Time to experiment I guess...

To those who still run the IS-6 a lot, Valachio, et al...

What set-up do you run? Do rations help make the aim-time and accuracy less painful? 

Basically I've barely played it since 0.8.6 acc changes or even since premium consumables became available. 

Conveniently, Valachio clicked over to his IS-6 during the T29 review video. Regular repair, Prem Med, Extra Rations. That plus BiA brings the accuracy down to...0.43 or 0.42? 

Would adding vents instead of the GLD be a worthwhile trade-off? 3.4 aim-time instead of 3.1, but with a base acc about 0.02 better to begin with? Or perhaps the rammer? The DPM of the IS-6 is something that is excellent....but reload speed isn't constantly in use, whereas vents affect every aspect.

Time to experiment I guess...

I really am not sure about the set up.  Reason I didn't add vents is because I have food and BIA, which increased the crew skill by a lot already.  Plus the 3.4 aiming time is brutal, GLD helps a lot.  I rush push in my IS-6 most of the games and the need to make snapshots is essential.  Therefore faster aiming for me is an absolute must

At some point in the past, I rage sold my IS-6 (and I don't even know why; I had like a 60% WR in it, even before I started getting better@tanks). I used the ONETIEMEVAR premium tank restoration on it and... best decision ever. This tank is pub-soul-breakingly op, even in tier 9 matches.

I have a hard time against tier VIII TD's though, since normally I abuse speed and agility of my usual mediums to take those out. Haven't figured out how to combat them as a heavy yet.

One thing to remember with the IS-6 is that it's a very mediocre tier 8, but a great pub tank.  You have to avoid fighting tier 9s at all costs because you are extremely outmatched.  Most other tier 8s can hold their own against tier 9 tanks, but the IS-6 cannot.  IS-6 is best at engaging multiple tier 6/7 enemies because of its heavily armor side.  Which allows you to basically bounce all shots from tier 6/7s 90% of the time as long as they aren't shooting gold.  When facing against high penetrating tier 8s, especially tier 8 TDs, as you said, IS-6 will feel slightly outmatched as well.  That's when you have to use your superior ROF to shoot your enemy twice while they can only shoot you once.  Or use your higher alpha to outgun KV-4s T32s, or 110s.

IS-6 rapidly became my favorite tier 8 premium, far and away my best performing vehicle, letting me win nearly 3/4ths of my matches solo. It's really quite liberating to find a tank that lets me fully exercise my chosen style of driving at people and beating them in the face. It may have all the finesse of a sledgehammer, but it's hard to argue with results.

Some videos. In this first one I spend 3.5 minutes or so at 5 hitpoints and survive the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmq7kX7FWA

In this one I set what was briefly the Noobmeter #1 score, 2,021 base XP. At 191,940 credits pre-bonus, it was also my personal highest revenue match.

B3Or1gL.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnT6kpJq-Y

That is some intense shit bro, never gotten that high in my 900 battles

I bought an IS-6 on sale a while ago but have just ground up to T7 and T8 levels and started using it for crew and credit grinding. After almost 50 battles, I think I've figured out the role and how to drive it and I have figured out most of what is said in this thread.  However, I just can't seem to get past the gun.  I'm running GLD, rammer and vert stab. I'm still learning the weak spots of the T9s, but I'm still bouncing lower tiers more than I think I should.

What ranges should I be engaging at?  Is it just poor target selection?  Should I be using consumables other than repair, medical and fire ext?  Should I change the modules?  Am I just not understanding that it's a gun that gets bounced a lot?  Is getting ~50% pen in T9 battles normal?

I bought an IS-6 on sale a while ago but have just ground up to T7 and T8 levels and started using it for crew and credit grinding. After almost 50 battles, I think I've figured out the role and how to drive it and I have figured out most of what is said in this thread.  However, I just can't seem to get past the gun.  I'm running GLD, rammer and vert stab. I'm still learning the weak spots of the T9s, but I'm still bouncing lower tiers more than I think I should.

What ranges should I be engaging at?  Is it just poor target selection?  Should I be using consumables other than repair, medical and fire ext?  Should I change the modules?  Am I just not understanding that it's a gun that gets bounced a lot?  Is getting ~50% pen in T9 battles normal?

The only place you'll pen a T95 is the copula's/ass.

But basically it's all about learning what you can pen with AP, and what you need APCR for. And what you can't pen at all. The front of an E-75>you etc. Ranges are minorly irrelevant, unless it's something where you need to hit the weakspot. But the IS-6 is mostly a knifefighting style tank anyways.

...mostly a knifefighting style tank anyways.

Great way of putting it.  Yeah, I need to learn the T9 aimpoints better.

Thanks.

Great way of putting it. Yeah, I need to learn the T9 aimpoints better.

Thanks.

You'll find both T9 Soviet heavies an incredible PITA. ST-I basically requires a front/rear axle wheel shot or an ass shot. IS-8 is slightly easier- same thing (spaced armour sides, groan...), but a good angle (i.e. below it) will get you through the LFP. And it has cupolas!

E-75 has non-track/spaced armour sides, so if flanked its pennable (my T-43 could pen it fine so...)

And if you get into an IS-6 fight, shoot the turret. The roof is a spectacular 30mm with 20mm cupolas.

Don't tell pubbies (regardless of server), the troll armour would evaporate quickly...

There's only two tanks I hate fighting in the IS-6, the T-54 and E-75. Both have frontal armor tough enough to give me pause, but that's not the only criteria, since things like the T28 and T95 are also basically invulnerable. The T-54 and E-75 are mobile enough to keep their front armor on me, and in the case of the T-54, run me down with impunity.

My biggest problems seem to be (like you said) T-54, E-75 and Type 59. I've been in a lot of 1 on 1 bounce battles with Type 59s in my IS-6.  It's like the fight scene from They Live.  Thank god almost all of those Type 59s have been driven by horribads.

Thanks for reenforcing what I was thinking, the gun isn't great and I need to learn more T9 weak spots.