Derpinator2013

I stopped being a pubbie when...

When I went from 55%-56% w/r

I was solopubbing 55% forever, thought I was stuck there because teams were always bad.

Then one day I went up to 56% and found out you actually have an impact on games.

Wow, story of my life.

Other than the part about getting good.

Platooning did it for me. I caught hold of a guy named Twens, and he was pretty big into playing very well, something really new to me. It helped shape me up, and over the course of a month I became a 2k 60-day WN7 player. Ziddy refined it, so here I am.

So yea, if you want to jumpstart your stats, platoon with someone who cares about them. It'll rub off on you.

I got better when I platooned with 2 players who were much better than me. I got tired of seeing them constantly b outperform me. I put in a lot of work to improve from the 43% player I was in Iron Hammer. So I blame woehammer and bustinjeebs for making me into what I am now. Now I can at least carry my own in battles with them.

So despite being able to imagine what they are going to do - because you have made similar moves yourself - you still shoot them in back of the turret?

Still sounds quite pubby to me.

I react to this for 2 reasons.

First, I hate it when pubbies shoot me in the back of the head, just cause they don't have the capacity to keep other people in consideration, don't have enough understanding of the game mechanics, or they want to get a kill steal.

Good players drive through the firing line of other good players too. The whole point is to work together and avoid taking risky shots.

Second, by coincidence, I recently came across a post of you from mid-July

in which you essentially complained that people don't put in the effort to give you instructions during the game when you request for them.

I refrained from burning you off at that time, giving you the advantage of the doubt as we say; several other people tried to make some points clear to you. Your stats show that you have barely improved since then.

Maybe you are using a slow computer or something, but however you try to turn this, when you are hitting other tanks, YOU are the problem.

Tito

So you skipped the entire "sniper mode, ran into my shot" part.

Cool. You're perfect. I'm not.

I'm "barely improved". Which means I still make mistakes, and learn from them.

I'm happy for you that you don't make mistakes any more. And equally happy for you that you don't have any more room to learn or improve.

Must be nice...

I spent roughly 3k battles not really knowing what stats were. Then someone in a pub game yelled at me and my 46% win rate. Rather than fall into the usual "I play well, I just get bad teams" shtick (my friend who got me into the game taught me very early on why that argument is nonsense), I looked up my stats, found the official forums, found some people on YouTube (nethervvoid and Millbarge were the first ones I checked out), and began the very gradual process of improving.

As with so many other things, it is a process.

EDIT: Also I find it funny that my forum title is now "Can't Pen a Super Pershing" when I just sold mine for the 7200 gold.

Going to have to side wirh Derp, here.

If someone pulls in front of your gun as you pull the trigger in sniper mode, it is absolutely their own fault. If it happens to you a lot, Tito, then you should evaluate your positioning more, and be more aware of what your pubbies are doing. (And what they are shooting at)

RE the OP, the moment i read one of Navie's guides on weakspots, i realised i was making the transition...

After my very short experience in the NA server (130 games at a whooping 48% wins, maximum tier 4), i realized my poor performance was MY fault and mine alone. When i started taking responsibility for what happened instead of blaming luck/teams/lags i started getting exponentially better.

First, I hate it when pubbies shoot me in the back of the head, just cause they don't have the capacity to keep other people in consideration, don't have enough understanding of the game mechanics, or they want to get a kill steal.

Good players drive through the firing line of other good players too. The whole point is to work together and avoid taking risky shots.

Dude, if you're getting shot a lot in the back of the turret, that's your fault not the shooters.  It takes some awareness on your part to know when they're lining up to shoot or have just shot before you jump across a firing lane.  I'll generally give a token apology to someone if I shoot them when this kind of thing happens, but on the other end of the keyboard I'm shaking my head at their stupidity for not being aware enough to wait till I've pulled the trigger before moving.

Once when I was complaining about the Comet and saying it was a useless and bad tank, I had multiple people tell me to get good and that I was the problem not the tank. It pushed me over the edge to start looking stuff up and become a stats whore so I can numbers turn purple. I already knew the raw mechanics of the game pretty well, but I didn't know how to use them. Some streams, videos, and replays later, I started to see a very market improvement in my gameplay.

In some ways, I was probably a rather unusual noob.

Since my teens, my computer gaming was almost exclusively limited to strategy games; as a result, I had good map awareness even at the start of my WoT career. Even as an utter newbie I always noticed if the initial setup on a flank was too weak or when things went to **** on some other part of the field. Paradoxically, that made me a worse player initially because I didn't have the competence to patch a failing flank up or tried to fight undermanned flanks with tanks that weren't capable of anything but a quick death in such a situation.

I was never a stat denier, either. I was fully aware that I sucked at the game and tried a lot of things with different success to get better.

On the other hand, I had only played few FPS games prior to WoT and was never any good at them. My mechanical skills in WoT were thus abmyssal at first. I used to be the kind of noob that only started to use sniper mode after 1000 battles. I was even worse in other departments. At 5k battles, I still often drove my KV-1s smack in the middle of the road in city fights denying myself cover! Even to this day, some of this deficiancies can be felt. My reactions are still not as fast as I would like them to be for example.

When I stopped playing arty, because I learn (via forums, thx Garbad) that tanks could influence games reliably. 

As for Tito re:Derp - Its a decent sized gap to cross from 46% or so, which is what Derp was when he registered, into green territory where he is now. Especially with the volume of play and bad habits he had/has. Now he is a GREEN pubbie (unpredictable, but coachable and attentive) instead of a red pubbie (reliably worthless fodder). Its quite a bit more than barely improved, although hopefully he has no intention of resting on his laurels. 

Oh and I shot simping pubbies in the turret sometimes. Although only if they are reds or the game is won. Otherwise I do adjust or hold my shots, because tunnel vision is a bad habit! ;-D

... I shot the third one in the back of the turret today for running in front of my obvious shot. Accidental of course, but it just occurred to me that I'm starting to see things differently than I used to.

So you skipped the entire "sniper mode, ran into my shot" part.

If someone pulls in front of your gun as you pull the trigger in sniper mode, it is absolutely their own fault.

If it happens to you a lot, Tito, then you should evaluate your positioning more, and be more aware of what your pubbies are doing. (And what they are shooting at)

Dude, if you're getting shot a lot in the back of the turret, that's your fault not the shooters.  It takes some awareness on your part to know when they're lining up to shoot or have just shot before you jump across a firing lane.  I'll generally give a token apology to someone if I shoot them when this kind of thing happens, but on the other end of the keyboard I'm shaking my head at their stupidity for not being aware enough to wait till I've pulled the trigger before moving.

I'm sorry Sanguisaevum and Ruestir, there is no way to position in such a way that bad players won't shoot me. It has happened to me when I'm in an open field without enemies around, it sure as hell happens when in the deployment area. Who knows what bad players are shooting at...

Instead, I'll keep focusing on my positioning to get a good clean firing lane which minimizes the risk on team damage. And then when a team mate drives into the crosshair, I have the situational awareness to not pull the trigger in most cases. Accidents can happen, of course, sometimes i'll squeeze of the shot as a calculated risk, I'll apologize, and try to make it up to the guy, by helping him out, catching a shot for him if I can.

You two and Derpinator2013, you place the responsibility on the tanker driving into your shot.

I am placing the responsibility on myself while taking the shot.

Or when driving into someone's aim for that matter. It's on my own risk, usually XVM will inform on how big a risk.

By the way, I just said that I hate it, never that I get myself shot often by driving in front of people's barrels. Indicative in itself, that you 2 assumed this.

Avoiding team damage is an integral part of the game. Something which grows with situational awareness, battle overview, something which makes good players, something which differentiates them from people "playing for fun".

Receiving team damage is one of the most frustrating elements in this game. That's why I'm speaking out about it here, in a thread started by somebody who believes it is a sign that he is becoming a good player when he is REALIZING that he is shooting his own team mates three times in a night (i.e. he didn't really notice if he hit a red or green tank in the first 5500 games he played).

Ok, I'm exaggerating, you don't seem to be a bad player derpinator, and your stats show some good progress, but I really feel this whole discussion is strongly indicative for the fact that you didn't appreciate the advice many purple masters were trying to pass on to you back in July in that yellowgreenbluepurple-fail thread. It was essentially the same point.

(and ironically, I for one try to give instructions during countdown...)

In any case, Ruestir, you will be able to tell if derpinator is no longer a "pubbie", seeing you are in the same clan now and all.

Tito

PS. I have decided for myself to stop using the term "pubbie". It is not specific enough, could just refer to random player imo.

As for Tito re:Derp - Its a decent sized gap to cross from 46% or so, which is what Derp was when he registered, into green territory where he is now. Especially with the volume of play and bad habits he had/has. Now he is a GREEN pubbie (unpredictable, but coachable and attentive) instead of a red pubbie (reliably worthless fodder). Its quite a bit more than barely improved, although hopefully he has no intention of resting on his laurels. 

This was the reference point:

I'm above average for the last week or so, topping 50% w/r and 1000 wn7.

why I wrote "barely improved", compared to his 60 day stats of 51%WR and 1086WN7.

Stats have been improving markedly in the last weeks, so I was wrong.

Though a 60+WR / 1300WN7 combo (last 7 days) also tells me something...

Tito

why I wrote "barely improved", compared to his 60 day stats of 51%WR and 1086WN7.

Tito

Thats fair. I've been paying attention to Derp, as he is an interesting study in the effectiveness of WoTLabs, and while he posted that in July, there was inevitable regression before the more recent and sustained changes. 

edit: lol that sounds stalkery and clinical, but the point is that I want Derp to succeed, so I make sure I keep up to date on his progress from time to time, and hope to eventually tout him as a success story for this forum :-D

Thanks for the interesting discussion (and stalking :D).

I think I can clarify my intent with the OP a little bit, after thinking it through.

Two months ago, I had been playing for two months. But I had only been trying to improve for a couple of weeks because I didn't know how bad I truly was. If noobmeter is accurate, I was actually at 43.98% at my lowest point: 1600 battles under my belt. June 15th. I created my account on May 25th and was "fortunate" to be sick and off work so I basically did nothing else for a couple of weeks.

The point is, back then:

I was the guy running in front of shots.

In the last couple of weeks I've started to actually see "firing lines" not just positions.

And now I see guys like me derping out into friendly fire because... they just don't know any better. "Red tank! Must kill red tank!"

All three of those incidents I mentioned happened for the same reaon, by the way. Sniper mode, focusing on keep my crosshair on a machine gun port, or commanders hatch, or that really sweet flat part that's facing right at me.

Yes, I still tunnel vision, and potato, and generally just derp a lot.

But I'm actually finding the little flashbacks to when I did truly dumb shit like that amusing.

I'm not bragging that I'm good or anything; I still have miles to go, but I'm a different, and yes, better, player than I was.

If anything, I'm bragging about wotlabs. :)

And I'll just leave this here for posterity:

I'm officially 60 day green for the first time:

60green_zps2ce467b7.png

Thanks wotlabbers.

I'm sorry Sanguisaevum and Ruestir, there is no way to position in such a way that bad players won't shoot me. It has happened to me when I'm in an open field without enemies around, it sure as hell happens when in the deployment area. Who knows what bad players are shooting at...

<snip>

You two and Derpinator2013, you place the responsibility on the tanker driving into your shot.

I am placing the responsibility on myself while taking the shot.

Or when driving into someone's aim for that matter. It's on my own risk, usually XVM will inform on how big a risk.

<snip>

In any case, Ruestir, you will be able to tell if derpinator is no longer a "pubbie", seeing you are in the same clan now and all.

Ok, we're talking about decidedly different things here.

1. Simping - The act of driving in front of a teammate to purposefully block their shot at an enemy.  I will ALWAYS fire at people who do this.  Sometimes, like Allurai, I will aim and go for module/crew damage as well.  This is particularly irritating when you've gotten the drop on a tank close to death and the next shot will finish them off.  This is about the only time you'll ever hear me legitimately griping about a kill steal.

2. Lack of SA - Can look the same as a simp, but usually is just someone seeing a red tank that it wants to shoot or is just driving through a firing lane.  I may try to hold fire in this instance, but it's really relative to when they pull out.  I've shot and sometimes killed more people in this instance simply because I pulled the trigger right before they entered my LOS and they ran into my shell.  I'll usually apologize when this happens, but more often than not the other guy, depending on skill level, will realize their mistake and blow it off.  It happened yesterday when I was firing at a low health IS and a friendly, but also low health, Cromwell raced between us as I fired.  Crommy died and the IS killed me a moment later. *sighs*

3, Pubbie idiocy - I think we've all been the victim of some random pubby shot that they were aiming at who knows what.  Not to mention the purposeful griefers, and jackwads that are producing carbon dioxide.

Derpinator is improving.  I haven't platooned with him an a couple weeks, but despite his potato moments he did play very well several matches in a row.

3, Pubbie idiocy - I think we've all been the victim of some random pubby shot that they were aiming at who knows what.  Not to mention the purposeful griefers, and jackwads that are producing carbon dioxide.

Never turn your back on a green tank. There are many battles when I have more bullet holes in the back of my tank than I do in the front.

Tito

I hope it tells you that I've been platooning with players much better than me and learning as much as I can from them which has been the advice I've gotten from basically every good player on this forum at one time or another.

I'm just actually doing it now that I'm not afraid of embarrassing myself horribly (as often). :)

Yesterday's efforts. Platooned up for about 1/3 of the games. Tiny bit of seal-clubbing happening for the mission. It might be getting close to time for me to move up a tier and start working on Tier 6. Might have to do some experimenting.

edit: and the funny thing is, I was running over 1800 WN for most of the day. It started dropping when I tooned up with Rex and company. Bloody kill stealers.  :D

one-day_zps42068c6c.png

I'll let ya know when I stop being a pubbie!

I'm currently trying to break out of the regression phase Crab mentioned earlier. I have days that are brilliant, and I have days that are part of a nutritious combo meal. Feels like more the latter than former. I am getting better at noticing when my focus/attention have faded and I need to stop tanking and play Diablo3 or something. So that's good.

Tito

Oh shit, I think some of that is my fault. :ph34r:

And Tito, I know exactly what these guys are talking about. Was on El Halluf last night and our team was put in a bad spot cause of pubbies doing exactly this. I'm pushing the A1 corner in my T29, hull downish behind a dead tonk, PERFECT shots on the enemy IS-6 turret tops on the hill, and damn near every time I was reloaded and ready to hand out another ~300 damage, a dumbass pub on our team would pull forward and block my shot. Over the course of a minute holding that spot, I had 5 shot opportunities blocked while the pubbies poked, blocked my shot, got shot, and eventually died. We lost that corner. If they hadn't kept blocking shots, those 5 shots over about 60 seconds would have been enough to kill 2 of the damaged IS-6's on the enemy team and force the corner. Instead we lost the corner and only won due to a saving comeback by our 3rd platoon mate (aweful memory, my apologies to whomever it was) and arty.

And please note, I was not shooting the pubbies in the back of the turret. I was holding my fire, simply because I didn't want to wait the extra 9.xx seconds for a reload.

Oh shit, I think some of that is my fault. :ph34r:

And Tito, I know exactly what these guys are talking about. Was on El Halluf last night and our team was put in a bad spot cause of pubbies doing exactly this. I'm pushing the A1 corner in my T29, hull downish behind a dead tonk, PERFECT shots on the enemy IS-6 turret tops on the hill, and damn near every time I was reloaded and ready to hand out another ~300 damage, a dumbass pub on our team would pull forward and block my shot. Over the course of a minute holding that spot, I had 5 shot opportunities blocked while the pubbies poked, blocked my shot, got shot, and eventually died. We lost that corner. If they hadn't kept blocking shots, those 5 shots over about 60 seconds would have been enough to kill 2 of the damaged IS-6's on the enemy team and force the corner. Instead we lost the corner and only won due to a saving comeback by our 3rd platoon mate (aweful memory, my apologies to whomever it was) and arty.

And please note, I was not shooting the pubbies in the back of the turret. I was holding my fire, simply because I didn't want to wait the extra 9.xx seconds for a reload.

Lol, yup. That was one of them, I remember the mutual rage in TS. :D

And you're responsible for ADDING 200 points to my WN7 overall Rex by taking me under your weirdly effective tiny T-Rex wing stubs, so never apologize for that.

I just suck at platooning still; I'll figure out how to steal more damage and kills from you guys eventually. ;)

Back to the OP:

I started to care about my numbers when I learned about, at the time, efficiency. At that point, I was probably about 3k battles in.

My old clan leader, and this is laughable now, took me under his wing and gave me a goal of doing AT LEAST 1000 dmg in a tier 8. I look back and laugh at that number now, but back then, I didn't know what to focus on to improve, I was just plain horrible!

Then platooning with a couple of guys that cared about stats and taught me some patience. I still creep...err, check on thier stats, and now my stats are far superior to thiers. I know, thats not saying much...

Reading WoTlabs has helped me improve too, no doubt about it.