deetz

I just can't seem to get the ELC right.

Question

I've had the ELC for a week or so now. I have been told before to be useful late game. But I can't stand sitting back and doing nothing in the tank like the ELC, and so I try to do something like run a little ahead of where most of my teammates are going, and double back when I see a few enemies... I have been told to run 90 degrees from my enemies if possible, and when it is I do that. If I see an opportunity to get behind something and shoot it, I take it. But I very rarely ever get an opportunity to do this. People tell me that's what the ELC is for, but I have no idea how to make these opportunities. Usually I see something, try to go around it, run into something big, and get killed before I can turn 90 degrees and make a break for it. I would extremely appreciate it if I got some tips for using this, as my winrate in it is absolutely abysmal.

4 answers to this question

First things first, the ELC has to have cranked up camo skill before it really starts being mean. It has some of the best camo values in the game, something like 22 still/moving and 5.4 when firing. Get 100% camo skill and you're knocking down 44% of enemies' view range which is epic.

Because the gun is so powerful you can play as a TD or a scout depending on circumstances. On a good scouting map, early game wait for noob rushing idiots to yolo out in the open and die, then move from bush to bush trying to get spots on enemies. If you don't feel it's safe to try or your camo still isn't good, play TD mode. Pop a shot then hide. Load gold when you're low tier and even high tier tanks have to worry about you.

With long aim time and no turret you'll often need to be ambushing enemies. Set up in spots in bushes where enemies are coming but you're able to pull back to cover after taking the shot. Be full aim when they come around a corner, pop em, then hide. Later when things have thinned out you can stalk enemies from bushes the same way. Your stealth allows you to pick the time and place, wait for full aim, pop a shot and then get away.

I think "active" scouting really isn't the best use of the ELC due to the limits of a fixed gun. You can end up getting chased with no way to defend yourself. Passive scouting and making sweeps from cover to cover is more useful imo. Distance is your friend for the most part, although you can still obliterate some enemy lights in the right situation. You're too mobile to get flanked 1 on 1 even with the fixed gun. Some people like the "dive bomber" thing, but getting yourself killed to get in one entertaining shot generally isn't worth it.

Equipment is a tough choice because so much is so needed for the ELC. GLD helps that awful aim, rammer the awful reload, coated optics is a great blend for passive and active scouting, but binocs is better for passive. Vents are good for mobile tanks, and the ELC relies heavily on mobility so that's also a big one. I've tried different combos but at the moment I have rammer, GLD, and vents to play in a more combat focused role.

Camo crew , camo paint , camo net <--- get where i'm going with this ?

Bino's + optics/vents , not sure is it worth taking optics if you bush scout 

For me the best scout isn't the guy going herp derp rushing all over the place getting 4 spots and dying before his team have left the base , it's the guy who gets a good bush up front doesn't move and gets 6K spotting dmg 

Then in the end game , I'd start moving once they've 6/7 tanks left or you're 90% certain there's none left on your flank 

First things first, the ELC has to have cranked up camo skill before it really starts being mean. It has some of the best camo values in the game, something like 22 still/moving and 5.4 when firing. Get 100% camo skill and you're knocking down 44% of enemies' view range which is epic.

Because the gun is so powerful you can play as a TD or a scout depending on circumstances. On a good scouting map, early game wait for noob rushing idiots to yolo out in the open and die, then move from bush to bush trying to get spots on enemies. If you don't feel it's safe to try or your camo still isn't good, play TD mode. Pop a shot then hide. Load gold when you're low tier and even high tier tanks have to worry about you.

With long aim time and no turret you'll often need to be ambushing enemies. Set up in spots in bushes where enemies are coming but you're able to pull back to cover after taking the shot. Be full aim when they come around a corner, pop em, then hide. Later when things have thinned out you can stalk enemies from bushes the same way. Your stealth allows you to pick the time and place, wait for full aim, pop a shot and then get away.

I think "active" scouting really isn't the best use of the ELC due to the limits of a fixed gun. You can end up getting chased with no way to defend yourself. Passive scouting and making sweeps from cover to cover is more useful imo. Distance is your friend for the most part, although you can still obliterate some enemy lights in the right situation. You're too mobile to get flanked 1 on 1 even with the fixed gun. Some people like the "dive bomber" thing, but getting yourself killed to get in one entertaining shot generally isn't worth it.

Equipment is a tough choice because so much is so needed for the ELC. GLD helps that awful aim, rammer the awful reload, coated optics is a great blend for passive and active scouting, but binocs is better for passive. Vents are good for mobile tanks, and the ELC relies heavily on mobility so that's also a big one. I've tried different combos but at the moment I have rammer, GLD, and vents to play in a more combat focused role.

Camo skill more important than Sixth Sense for first skill set?  Or SS/Camo first and Camo/whatever second?  I have Camo/Camo at 95% and camo net but was going to retrain to SS and dump the net to for Rammer to add to GLD/Binocs. 

I also was under the impression that the ELC is one of the few tanks where BiA is valuable enough to use.  Opportunity cost is so low with only 2 crew.  Sounds like that is still 3rd/4th skill with Camo and SS more valuable?

This is one of my worst performing light tanks and yet I find myself starting nights with it and ending nights with it for racecar fun factor.  So might be time to invest in some more effort at winning now that I'm starting to learn how to win@tanks

Camo skill more important than Sixth Sense for first skill set?  Or SS/Camo first and Camo/whatever second?  I have Camo/Camo at 95% and camo net but was going to retrain to SS and dump the net to for Rammer to add to GLD/Binocs. 

I also was under the impression that the ELC is one of the few tanks where BiA is valuable enough to use.  Opportunity cost is so low with only 2 crew.  Sounds like that is still 3rd/4th skill with Camo and SS more valuable?

This is one of my worst performing light tanks and yet I find myself starting nights with it and ending nights with it for racecar fun factor.  So might be time to invest in some more effort at winning now that I'm starting to learn how to win@tanks

I would wait until 100% first skill (Camo) and 25-50% second skill before retraining Commander to Sixth Sense. With only two crew members you lose a full 50% of your Camo skill when you take it off your Commander on a tank that really needs it.

Recommended crew skills:

1st: Sixth/Camo

2nd: Camo/Clutch Braking or Repair (depending on whether you want to dodge fire better or repair faster when a 2" rock makes you fly and breaks your track)

3rd: Situational Awareness/Clutch Braking or Repair

Then retrain those to BiA past 100%

4th: Situational Awareness/Clutch Braking or Repair

Skill setup on the ELC is kind of annoying due to the fact that the Commander, who has mandatory SS/Camo needs, also gets all the Gunner/Radio Operator/Loader skills. Also, if you are the kind of driver to run in for active lights and assassinating targets I would suggest Smooth Ride for the Driver, but those types of ELC drivers don't do very well.