boom_town

How do you manage your crews?

I been goofing around and spreading myself thin trying different tanks.  I just unlocked the T32 but I want to keep my T29...but now I have no crew for it as my T29 crew is moving up a tier with my soon to be purchased new tank.  The thought of playing without Sixth Sense is now horrifying to me.  What do players do in this situation?    Any tips or tactics people do to keep crews in line with their tanks?

I moved my T29 crew up through each tank until they move into the E5 in a week or so. I have kept my T29 and T32 and will probably keep the M103 so I will use the T29 to train crews for them.

OK, I can see running a crap crew on a T29, its not like I am hiding in that tank.  But in a few weeks my T20 will unlock the Pershing and then I will be properly screwed.  I love the T20, its my best performing tier 7.  I can see now this game is not about collecting tanks, its about collecting crews! 

I sold my Super Pershing for gold and bought a couple of British Premiums, I still have the Ram II as an American premium...so maybe I should buy the M4 back and train with that.  This is going to be a problem.  Maybe the Pershing will be so good I will not even need the T20 but thats some big shoes to fill.

Edit: typo

Pretty much your best ways of training crews is finding a tank tier 5 - 7 that you love playing and using it to train your crews up. For me I use my T29 and T49 for my american crews. As for the T20, you should move its crew up to the pershing and train a new crew for the T20 either in the T20 itself or use the Ram or M4.

Pretty much your best ways of training crews is finding a tank tier 5 - 7 that you love playing and using it to train your crews up. For me I use my T29 and T49 for my american crews. As for the T20, you should move its crew up to the pershing and train a new crew for the T20 either in the T20 itself or use the Ram or M4.

Pretty much this, I've got 3 british medium crews, currently working up a fourth and fifth.

I left the crew on the tier 5, then bought new 75's for the next tank in line. If it was a keeper, the crew stayed and I bought a new crew for the next one. It not a keeper, I move it on as a 90 crew.

I kept going with daily doubles on the original tier 5, so some of them are on their 4th and 5th skills by now. I figure I can move this crew to the end of the line tanks when I get there and only pay for single gold transfer during a sale.

OK, thats good advice, I guess I will use the T1 Heavy or M6 then retrain them over to the T20 when they are good enough.  I'd rather use a medium so I can take advantage of my premium Ram II but I am just better at those tanks.  Now I kind of wish I didn't sell my Super P :S

If you move your 29 crew to the 32, and get a new crew for the 29, this is what you will have. (unless you re-train for gold)

A 75% 29 crew and a 90% 32 crew.  If you just put a new crew on the 32 you will still have a 100% crew on the 29.

Its like there is more work trying to figure out how to manage your tanks then there is learning to drive tanks :P :P

I can see now this game is not about collecting tanks, its about collecting crews! 

It absolutely is, I have this feeling as well - especially for a player who doesn't play an awful lot, compared to other people with 2000+ 60day battles, I only manage 600-700, it's slow going getting enough competent crews to fill all your adventures up and down trees.

I generally always escalate one crew up to tier 10 in the line and start a new crew for any tank I am keeping, unless I have some spares lying around already from previously cancelled adventures.

EDIT: I will add that once I started using premium full time and concentrated on getting better that 48% w/r, crews train a lot faster :)

I always move crews up and get a new crew on the old tank if I'm keeping it, If I'm keeping a tank, it means it's good, and if it's a good tank, I can play with a bad crew for a while and still do well. Grinding a new stock or semi-stock tank which also has a bad crew on top of that is something I never want to do again.

My biggest issue at the moment is that I have so many tanks and crews that I tend to forget which ones I have sixth sense on, which has on occasion gotten me into trouble because I assumed I had it when I didn't.

I normally keep the crews in tanks that I plan to keep.  So, I use premium tanks & tier 5-7 tanks to keep crews trained.  I am currently grinding my German TD line & unlocked my tier 8.  I really like the Hetzer, Stug III & Jag Panther so, those crews are staying put.  My tier 6 crew is waiting for the tier 10.  My tier 2 & 3 TD's are currently training the new gunners, commanders & drivers for my tier 8 & 9.

I like playing alot of different tanks & different tiers.  I have to garage space so, I don't dump a tank unless I play to never again play that tank.

So here's a stupid question. When I get exp from battle is it evenly distributed on all crew members or just the one with lowest total exp? To my understanding the exp goes to the alive crew member with lowest total exp but I'm not really sure...

In other words if I have a 500% crew on my x tank and I change one of the crew members to a 75% crew member how is the exp distributed after that? Will the 75% crew member keep getting the exp from battles until his exp reaches the same level as the others?

I ask because I'm thinking about using some low tier tank for crew training but instead of replacing the full good crew I have on that tank with a full 75% crew I use the original good crew but replace just one good crew member with a 75% crew member. Doing this would still give me good rcrew and only one of the crew would be at 75% at a time.

So for example basically lets imagine you have full 500% crew on t49. You take out the loader and put a 75% loader there. Then you play 50 battles or as long as it takes to get the loader to be at 100%. Then put the original reloader back and replace the good commander with a 75% commander and repeat. Do that for the full crew. Would it work as in the crew member with lowest total exp getting all the exp?

Tango, I think its evenly distrobuted unless its a premium/elite tank and you check the box on top of your crews in the garage window to accelerate crew training then the bonus xp goes to the lowest crew member.  And that, by the way is not a stupid question, that is a brilliant plan!

So I got another question, lets say the weekend mission is the T1 Heavy and I have no crew for it.  What would happen if I put my 300% crew on it from my T29 without retraining it for the T1 Heavy?   Would I get a better performance out of that crew or just buying an 80% crew for silver?

You absolutely want to have the BEST possible crew for your high-tiers. If you want to keep the T29, just stuff in a brand new crew. You'll pwn pubbies anyway with that tank.

The T32 though requires much more love to perform well, so i'd NEVER put a scrub crew into that. I'd be a nightmare...

Same with the T20. Besides, i don't see why you would want to keep the T20 when you can keep the Pershing instead, since it's better in EVERYTHING: it's got much better armor, a vastly superior gun, same agility... It's basically a T20 on steroids. I'd never keep the T20 when you have that M26 waiting just one tier after that. It can carry much harded besides, it's more flexible, and doesn't have crap DPM like the T20 so you're not pants-down everytime something gets too close to you.

Anyway, remember: scrub crews can work in tier 5-7. Tier 8 are AWFUL with those. You'll meet the monsters, tier X tanks... You don't wanna be in the open not knowing whether you're spotted or not when the other team has an FV215(183) sitting somewhere, trust me.

T20 has crap DPM?  o.O   I was under the impression the T20 had awesome DPM for a medium tank.  So that is really good news, perhaps I will keep the Pershing instead but I will hang onto the T20 for awhile just to make sure.  The amount of money the higher tier tanks cost  make me scared I will be making a mistake and selling a keeper tank, but it makes obtaining the high tier harder because I don't get the sale value on the lower tier to help me pay for the next tank. 

Tango, I think its evenly distrobuted unless its a premium/elite tank and you check the box on top of your crews in the garage window to accelerate crew training then the bonus xp goes to the lowest crew member.  And that, by the way is not a stupid question, that is a brilliant plan!

So I got another question, lets say the weekend mission is the T1 Heavy and I have no crew for it.  What would happen if I put my 300% crew on it from my T29 without retraining it for the T1 Heavy?   Would I get a better performance out of that crew or just buying an 80% crew for silver?

You'd get a 90% crew on primary skills, with the benefit of all the perks/skills as well, assuming there's not an extra radioman or something to fuck up BIA.  The tooltip will tell you otherwise.  Ignore it, it's wrong.

T20 has crap DPM?  o.O   I was under the impression the T20 had awesome DPM for a medium tank.

T20 has a 1531 DPM value.

Comet goes into the low 2100s, VK3002D into the low 2000s, Panther the mid 1800s, A44 has 1700, KV13 goes into the low 1800s, and T43 has near 2000.

It's BY FAR the lowest. Even A44, which is another low-RPM high-alpha medium tank, is better by about 200 points of DPM. Heck, even the Panther has better DPM. 

The strong point of the T20 is that it's pretty easy to profit of its DPM since the penetration is good (like the Panther for example). We can say the T20 has low theoretical DPM but high effective DPM, while the others have high theoretical but low effective DPM. Excluding the Panther. That still means that the T20 will get wrecked pretty badly if it meets a high-DPM tier 6 tank (Cromwell? VK3001D?) because in the time it takes to kill it, that kind of target WILL hurt you pretty badly, and if you prechance miss or bounce or track once you risk being smashed.

The ideal would be only grinding one line per nation. and use one crew per nation. This will give you the best possible results. Though this means selling all your finished tanks and only keeping tier 10's. Then just switch the crew whenever the situation asks for it.

Problem is this is pretty much fun ruining ;)

You'd get a 90% crew on primary skills, with the benefit of all the perks/skills as well, assuming there's not an extra radioman or something to fuck up BIA.  The tooltip will tell you otherwise.  Ignore it, it's wrong.

That is absolutely perfect.  Great info, I will do that for those weekend missions.  One more question here, would it be possible to put my tier 8 French SPG crew into a tier 5 French Heavy tank or would that be extra penalties?

T20 has a 1531 DPM value.

Comet goes into the low 2100s, VK3002D into the low 2000s, Panther the mid 1800s, A44 has 1700, KV13 goes into the low 1800s, and T43 has near 2000.

It's BY FAR the lowest. Even A44, which is another low-RPM high-alpha medium tank, is better by about 200 points of DPM. Heck, even the Panther has better DPM. 

The strong point of the T20 is that it's pretty easy to profit of its DPM since the penetration is good (like the Panther for example). We can say the T20 has low theoretical DPM but high effective DPM, while the others have high theoretical but low effective DPM. Excluding the Panther. That still means that the T20 will get wrecked pretty badly if it meets a high-DPM tier 6 tank (Cromwell? VK3001D?) because in the time it takes to kill it, that kind of target WILL hurt you pretty badly, and if you prechance miss or bounce or track once you risk being smashed.

OK, well I am a dumbass.  I will say the DPM does not "feel" low to me so that part must be the high effective DPM in action.  Thats great information, thank you very much.

The ideal would be only grinding one line per nation. and use one crew per nation. This will give you the best possible results. Though this means selling all your finished tanks and only keeping tier 10's. Then just switch the crew whenever the situation asks for it.

Problem is this is pretty much fun ruining ;)

Thats actually a brilliant idea, if I started the game from zero I would do that, but since I am way too invested in my current lines I am committed to my plans.  Great info though, thanks.

Are you sure ? Is 6th sense working when your crew primary skill is not 100% ???

So here's a stupid question. When I get exp from battle is it evenly distributed on all crew members or just the one with lowest total exp? To my understanding the exp goes to the alive crew member with lowest total exp but I'm not really sure...

In other words if I have a 500% crew on my x tank and I change one of the crew members to a 75% crew member how is the exp distributed after that? Will the 75% crew member keep getting the exp from battles until his exp reaches the same level as the others?

I ask because I'm thinking about using some low tier tank for crew training but instead of replacing the full good crew I have on that tank with a full 75% crew I use the original good crew but replace just one good crew member with a 75% crew member. Doing this would still give me good rcrew and only one of the crew would be at 75% at a time.

So for example basically lets imagine you have full 500% crew on t49. You take out the loader and put a 75% loader there. Then you play 50 battles or as long as it takes to get the loader to be at 100%. Then put the original reloader back and replace the good commander with a 75% commander and repeat. Do that for the full crew. Would it work as in the crew member with lowest total exp getting all the exp?

if you get 1k exp in a battle every crew member will get 1k, if you have accelerate crew training on the guy with the lowest would get 2k.

also at the op i'd recomend useing the ram but just put a new comander in it with the res tof the crew from the pershing so you can get sixth sense faster on him.

Are you sure ? Is 6th sense working when your crew primary skill is not 100% ???

Yes.

It is anemic.  The Ram II is a tough medium with decent mobility.  Both the USA medium premiums play the same but out of necessity they need to use gold ammo often and therefore don't make as much in credits, but if you just want one to train crews...its a great little tank.  I am happy with it.